[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I still don't get the appeal.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

I still don't get the appeal.
>>
He's corny but in a good way.
>>
Great production (especially on Acid Rap, lots of brass sections)
Unique voice (but understandably not for everyone)
Lots of positive music in an often darker genre.
>>
>>71238465
He has a lot of talent and hype, which enables him to be surrounded by other talented people. Unfortunately, lyrically, he's like a black 21 Pilots. Acid Rap was chock-full of very teenaged feelings and 90s kid references, and while I think Coloring Book is better, I don't think it's coherent. When he's trying to be hard (No Problems) I just don't buy it, and even when he's attempting to rap and sing extremely sweetly (Blessings) I still just can't buy into it. When he feels like anything, he feels saccharine.

Being said, those are extremely hard lines to walk. Right now, I would say only Kendrick is getting away with (and successfully) really stretching himself, and testing the limits of what mainstream, black-approved hip hop music can be.

And either way Chano gets a lot of love, I just don't feel like he's figured himself out yet, and to me it hasn't been super compelling to watch him try.

But regardless, I do think he's incredibly talented, and am anticipating his new release. What he's done as an independent artist is genuinely historic.
>>
Worth mentioning that once you like an artist, hindsight is 20/20. I used to hate K Dot's voice, persona, thematic shifting, and I overall felt he was a phony bologna after this big, dumb mainstream appearances, like performing with Imagine Dragons at the Grammys.

But I came around for a million reasons and now I love Kendrick, and love songs I once hated. Maybe at some point I'll flip on Chano, but I feel like my dislike of him is put together coherently enough in my head in a way that I never solved when Kendrick dropped GKMC and TPAB.
>>
>>71238465
I think he kinda sucks desu, but by rap standards (rap music is held to a lower caliber, obviously) he is alright
>>
>>71238606
>CB better than AR

Every time
>>
>>71238606
>independent artist
are people still buying this?

http://www.factmag.com/2016/05/20/chance-the-rapper-independent/
>>
>>71238778
It is though! Although, and I mean this in the most genuine way, if I had heard Acid Rap when I was 15, I bet I would've been crazy about it.

But in any case I definitely grade for consistency. There are individual cuts on Acid Rap that I like better than any song on CB, but I think CB is a lot more realized and well-rounded, even though it has a long way to go.
>>
>>71238876
I just can't feel a consistency in style in CB. I'll be the first to admit that the 2 or 3 songs in the latter half of acid rap *really* hit the album's quality hard, but even taking that in to account, the rest of the album is leaps and bounds ahead of CB in my opinion.

But I suppose opinions are all we have.
>>
>>71238465
nigga looks like Stitch from Lilo and Stitch
>>
>>71238856
This piece is good and I get this angle, but I guess we can argue about what independent means. If we're waiting for the first massive, phenomenon artist to only release music on DatPiff and sell cassettes out of their bedroom window, we'll never get there.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.