[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gang Signs And Prayer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

File: stormzy gsap.jpg (87KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
stormzy gsap.jpg
87KB, 500x500px
Did Stormzy just release grime's answer to Coloring Book?
>>
Grime MCs cannot procuce decent LPs, there have been maybe 3 or 4 good full lengths releases since 2003.
>>
>>71238393
well this one clearly is an exception.
>>
>>71238692
No it isn't, the majority of it is shit.
>>
>>71238393
When someone manages to make a top top quality grime release it will be groundbreaking.

Boy In Da Corner is considered a classic by many. If someone manages to top it, it will be influential as fuck.
>>
>>71239543
>implying you didn't love Big Mike Mr Skeng Wicked Skengman singing about god over piano backing
>implying you didn't love Stiff Chocolate harmonising with Lily Allen
>>
>Colouring Book

I thought it was more Ye than Chance
>>
>>71239552
It won't ever happen now. Almost every single Grime LP after BIDC has the problem of the MC wanting to fill up the LP with shitty Hip-Hop tracks and it's still happening today. The genre will never recover from it and we'll have to stick with listening to radio sets to keep hearing any actual Grime.
>>
>>71239543
The only parts that are slightly gay imo are the singing features in bbyg pt 2 and dont cry for me
Beats are fuckin prime on this record, idk why everyone seems to be ignoring that
>>71239701
Its quite ye
>>
File: smug_rashad.png (67KB, 444x472px) Image search: [Google]
smug_rashad.png
67KB, 444x472px
grime isn't a real genre
>>
>>71239755
What is the exact line between hip hop and grime
>>
>>71239543
no, u.
>>
>>71239805
the speed of the of the beat and flow. if anyone says a wheel up, fuck off.
>>
This album was a fucking mess
The variety of different ideas didn't gel into a whole at all
>>
>>71239830
The speed of the beat seems a bit bullshit to me, even though i know jackshot about the gebre, but it kinda limits the genre, doesn't it?
So we're left with the flow, which I pretty much agree with. Stormzys flows seem pretty grimey to me here, even on the majority of the slower tracks (i kept imagining how would he sound with those flows but with a grittier, faster beat behind it)
>>
>>71239890
>he speed of the beat seems a bit bullshit to me
140bpm
>>
>>71239805
Tempo, MC flow and emphasis on basslines over breakbeats.

With modern Grime that sounds like Trap, the distinction is becoming lost.
>>
>>71239890
return of the rucksack is a grime as this album gets.
>>
>>71239866
Honestly I enjoyed the juxtaposition.
>>
Would this album be considered grime?
It seems to be rooted in grime and references grime a lot, what with the LOTM bars/Ghetts vs Bashy ASK CARLOS sample/Titch interlude. But a lot of these tracks are objectively NOT grime.
>>
is this one of those "actually good grime albums" that people will actually remember or are we all gonna be done talking about it in like 2 weeks time?
>>
>>71239974
nah, not a grime album. he could make one if he wanted to but it clearly can't be called a grime album.
>>
>>71239978
It's not much of a grime album, and features a lot of ballads. Stormzy actually legit sings on a lot of these tracks. Very religious too.

It's a very solid and mature debut album that I think surprised a lot of people and changed peoples' minds about Stormzy. It's not incredible but it's definitely a great album that does a great job at establishing who he is as an artist on both a musical and personal level.

That being said, it's not a fantastic grime album. There aren't that many grime tracks on this album.

But it's still worth a listen. You might enjoy it.
>>
>>71239974
No, but a lot of mixtapes from Grime artitsts have that same issue. Couple of Grime tracks and the rest are some other shit.

>>71239978
No, but it's Stormzy so the kids will hail it is a classic. People still think Konnichiwa was good just because it was Skepta.
>>
>>71240033
>No, but it's Stormzy so the kids will hail it is a classic
I don't see "the kids" enjoying this.
The majority of praise I see this album getting are from people who weren't expecting it to sound anything like this and weren't particularly looking forward to the album.
You can already see that Stormzy's become a more respected artist even just on this forum.
>>
>>71240061
I think you're under estimating the average person. People will like this just because it's Stormzy (or because people will tell them they should like it).

It's similar to how there are people who still really like Big H despite him being well past it, just because he's Big H.
>>
>>71239978
firstly it isnt a grime album, secondly wtf does /mu/s attention span have to do with anything?
>>
>>71240086
I dunno.
I wasn't really expecting anything from this album but I definitely enjoyed it.
A lot of people seem to be saying the same thing.
>>
>>71240033
>No, but a lot of mixtapes from Grime artitsts have that same issue. Couple of Grime tracks and the rest are some other shit.
Because it's difficult to make a grime album desu.
Not much variety. That's why they throw hip-hop and shit on there because there's more you can do with it.
Would love another genuinely great grime project but I'm not sure how exactly you'd do it.
>>
>>71240024
fair enough, I understand that it's not really grime, but it feels like whenever an established "grime" artist comes out with an album, people always talk it up for a bit as if grime finally has a good album that isn't BIDC and then it gets forgotten after a while (see Konnichiwa and Integrity>) If this album's good enough to get past that then fair do's
>>
>>71240167
I just think that if people can do 45+ minute Grime sets on their own then surely making a not shit LP must be possible. But radio is different from making an album so I guess it's not as comparable.

Grime will be completely fucked as a genre if radio sets suddenly stop.
>>
>>71240173
Godfather is the only one that has desu.
Genuinely one of the best grime records of all time.
>>
>>71240270
Spitting bars on radio is completely different from being able to properly make a proper musically cohesive album. 99% of MCs are not musically intelligent enough to make one, as pretentious as that sounds.
For example YGG have been fucking incredible on radio recently but their actual tunes are pretty fucking average and they've yet to release any project at all.
>>
I mean you can't really make a grime album if you're gonna sing.
Can't think of a grime track where singing actually works.
Stormzy sings a lot on this album so there's obviously not gonna be a lot of grime tracks.
>>
File: 635527314.jpg (282KB, 663x1024px) Image search: [Google]
635527314.jpg
282KB, 663x1024px
Can't take grime seriously after Skepta's performance at the Brits.

Guy has the chance to really propel his scene and he delivers a terrible performance while he's either really fucking drunk or off his head on coke.

Then at the end he starts harmonising into the mic for no apparent reason even though he can't sing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDq4QMhat_c

It's fucking awful.

Not to mention this interview that was recorded at the Brits red carpet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pe3c-2ju3g
>>
The album was fucking awful and so far off his usual style, only slightly good track was big for your bewts
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.