[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how easy is bass?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2

File: bass.jpg (52KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
bass.jpg
52KB, 960x960px
how easy is bass?
>>
>>71200498
Easy to start, hard to master.
>>
>>71200811
This. I've had friends learn bass in a week and start playing in bands. They sucked ass at first, but most people don't notice/don't care, and they naturally improved with time.

Probably the two most important things about playing bass are: creating and maintaining a groove, and locking in with the other musicians. Which is way, way harder than what it takes to shred on guitar or play blastbeats on drums.
>>
>>71200498
bass i incredibly easy if you do the bare minimum. it is a necessary instrument that works well even if it's "hiding"

unlike guitar, which is boring as fuck when simple because it naturally takes the spotlight, and is held up against the 10 billion guitarists that have come prior.

that doesn't mean that bass has a low ceiling of expression. quite the contrary. bass can also take the stage in an amazing way yet still be subtle, just due to the nature of sound.
>>
not as easy as ur mom
>>
>>71201145
>>71200811
agree
>>
>>71200811
This absolutely.

Basslines range from single held notes once per couple measures to fucking shredding it harder than most guitar solos.
>>
>>71200811
I second this
>>
>>71200498
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPBmyFsfyPc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmoA8FwqF9I

Post best bass performances
>>
Who are considered to be some of the best rock bassists, past and present?

>inb4 Flea, McCartney and Sting.
>>
>>71200811
>>71200999
>>71201145
>>71202758
all of this

if you plan on learning the bass, imo the #1 golden rule is to not play 1 note per bar. It really makes a band look shitty
>>
>>71203125
Guigsy
>>
>>71203125
Bruce Foxton is boss
>>
>>71203125
Chris Squire
>>
>>71203221
I don't think I've ever heard his bass in a live recording

I wonder if he even knew how to play bass
>>
>>71203125
Geezer
>>
>>71203125
Sid Vicious
>>
>>71203125
me
>>
>>71203125
Holger Czukay of Can
>>
>>71200498
easy as fuck to be honest with you family-pai
>>
>>71203494
the best bass playing of Can is when they brought in Rosko Gee and left Holger to making funny noises
not to say that Holger was a bad musician (IMO he had the best solo career of any Can member) , but most of the Damo-era songs that he played bass on have incredibly simple basslines and you can still hear him fucking them up some of the time
>>
What's the point of the bass? When I record and I always mix it low and no one really cares or notice.
>>
>>71203125
Victor Wooten is objectively the best bassist on earth.

Squire is my personal favorite.
>>
i've only met one bass player before and he didnt know what a chord was.
>>
>>71203963
youre doing it wrong, mix that shit high and go crazy with it. if youre just using it for what other people do with it, youre doing it wrong and your tracks will be boring.
>>
>>71203963
bass is more felt than heard but i can still tell youre a faggot

>>71203974
cool story homo
>>
>>71203963
It provides the basis for harmony and connects the rhythm section to everything else. It can also glue everything together if the mix is messy or the tune is too simple.

Artists that bury it away usually don't sound as full or sound to bright imo, unless they're using a bass synth or something like that.
>>
>>71203963
>mix it low
>surprised that nobody notices

Go watch some top bass players and you'll see the point. Not only do they drive a song's rhythm but they can be played melodically in all sorts of cool ways and really emphasize guitarists and vocalists.
>>
>>71200498
If you want to become an effective bass player just listen to shit tons of Cure records. The Cure has the ideal bass playing. It elevates the band without overpowering the other sections.
>>
>>71204327
dont tell me what to do
>>
>>71202758
Nobody will ever want to hear a bass solo other than other bass players

The key to being a good bassist is understanding what a good bassist should be
>>
File: Les Claypool.jpg (136KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
Les Claypool.jpg
136KB, 1000x667px
>>71203125
>>
>>71200498
Bass is as easy as what you choose to play on it
>>
>>71204480
I'm a bass player and even I don't wanna hear bass solos 99% of the time
>>
>>71204572
True, I should have said "only bass players who are huge wankers"
>>
>>71204430
kiss me on the lips
>>
>>71204657
*muagh*
>>
>>71203125
Andy Rourke
>>
>>71204480
>The key to being a good bassist is understanding what a good bassist should be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9XDUBDMNuk

The best bassist in the world dominates live jams, breaking all rules in the process. Same can be said for Entwistle, Flea, Claypool, Butler, Burton, literally any of the greats. Good bassists define their own role.
>>
>>71203125
Surprising that Geddy and Entwistle haven't been mentioned yet

>>71203314
My favorite of all time and my biggest influence
>>
>>71203125
Peter hook
>>
so what are some songs with some subtle yet god-tier bass?
>>
>>71203125
Cliff Burton, John entwistle, I have a thing for John Paul Jones. That faggot from tool is pretty good too.
>>
>>71204480
As a bass player, I understand what you're saying, but solos are fun as shit to play. Playing hard and fast on bass feels so amazing, even if bass solos aren't in high demand outside of jazz and funk.
>>
Now you guys are making me rethink me metal guitar lifestyle and learn the arts of the 4 string.

The only band I ever was in I played bass and loved it. Maybe the time has come again...
>>
>>71207015
Most any Genesis album. Mike Rutherford is a god-tier bass player.
>>
>>71204767
this.

Brian Wilson also
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.