[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dirty Projectors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_7907.jpg (57KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7907.jpg
57KB, 450x450px
What does everyone think of their new LP?
>>
Weird that /mu/ isn't talking about this. But /mu/ has been shitty for a while now.

It's pretty good, but honestly still not as good as bitte orca. A little derivative of acts like James blake. Not going to make a huge impact on music in general probably.
>>
Currents syndrome, too many singles released before the album, ruins any possibility of cohesive feeling

Work Together and Winner Take Nothing suck

Ascent Through Clouds and I See You are great

Singles are all amazing
>>
>>71175257
I thought Dave liked Kanye ironically. Judging by this album, he didnt.
>>
This was tagged as indie, electronic, rock, experimental
Why am I listening to autotune soul dub shit
>>
bitte orca is shit. I had just gotten into yale when this POS came out and pretended to like them for a bit because david longstreth is an alum
>>
>>71176507
Not shit, just overrated. Swing Lo and The Getty Address are just as good but they dont get that praise.
>>
Ascent Through Clouds couldve been great without the vocal effects. Work Together, Winner Take Nothing and Death Spiral are deletable-tier.
>>
>>71176671

Swing lo was actually crap except for trigger
>>
Up in Hudson is fucking incredible. Does anyone know why the version I got off Soulseek has a slightly different intro than the one they uploaded on Youtube? The vocals in the intro "I caught the sunrise in your eyes" aren't there, huh.
>>
>>71177103
Probably due to copyright, the album and single version dont have the intro sample. The youtube version is the only one using it.
>>
which one is keep your name on
>>
File: coffman.jpg (7KB, 297x170px) Image search: [Google]
coffman.jpg
7KB, 297x170px
amber coffman after listening to keep your name
>>
>>71176507
nah bitte orca one of the best indie rock albums of the last 10 years

way better than swing low or getty address imo

stillness is the move is a perfect single, temecula sunrise and two doves are great songs too
>>
link?
>>
>>71177166
Oh that makes sense, cheers. Downloaded a couple versions just to check just in case, d'oh.
>>71177442
archive
>>
>>71177103
it has a seven minute original mix and a radio edit
>>
>>71177458
tank you
>>
>>71175549
There were two threads about it last night when it came out.

As for the new LP i like it but feels a bit weird as not was i was expecting. Feel like they need Amber back. This LP sounded a bit like "Dirty Projectors does Rob Dougan"
>>
>>71177244
Lmao, her new song is really dull and the video pretty bad.
>>
>>71177625
Really disappointing.
>>
>>71175257
Angel > Amber

>>71177597
The band made many good records before Amber even joined, she's not integral to the band.
>>
Ugh those "truth and fame" lines from Keep your Name are so fucking cringeworthy and petty. Otherwise enjoying the album.
>>
>>71177625
dave produced it
>>
>>71177795
he produced and released her single 2 weeks after tho
>>
>>71177822
Lol what a cuck
>>
I'll just say this : all things considered, Longstreth is, I think, an interesting pop composer. I don't know if he's that accomplished, but he's definitely smart, and studied.
>>
I expected more songs and less electronics desu.
>>
>>71176507
how is bitte orca shit
>>
>using cover from 2 albums ago to start thread discussion about new album

was it autism?
>>
>ivy league educated, critically acclaimed musician, handsome
>obsessed with some 6/10 human chin

Da fuck is his problem?
>>
Why the fuck release 4 singles for a 9 track album before the album even drops?

Keep Your Name was released damn last October
>>
>>71179052
was it? pretty sure it came out in january, but maybe that's another track I'm thinking of
>>
File: images (3).jpg (15KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
images (3).jpg
15KB, 384x384px
>>71179028
THIS.
Angel is 10x better.
>>
>>71179520
Yeah, you're thinking of Little Bubble. Keep Your Name got released back in September. I still don't understand why he did that
>>
>>71176293
he literally produced some of his songs
>>
>>71179028

Fuckin kek
>>
Does this album sound really "black" to me or am i trippin

Kind of cringe TbH
>>
>>71180954

Very bad album rollout imo

I think artists randomly dropping the first single without announcing album with it is a bad move. People dont know what to make of it. A one off song? B-side? etc.

Should have made keep your name first single paired with album announcemenr in Dec, drop album then make cool ur heart the second music video single
>>
>>71182570

sun kil moon released god bless ohio last january (2016) then released this feb (2017) lel

i always skip and dont even considee part of album since i heard too many times before album dropped
>>
>>71181836
*he literally wrote the bridge of "FourFiveSeconds"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt0g4dWxEBo#t=01m21s
>>
Just listened to it through for the first time. I think it's fantastic, Longstreth and dirty projectors continue to push the boundaries of indie pop and blend several genres with ease. Got a lot of rap, jazz, calypso/island stuff, chill electronic, and classical violin is intertwined often. I think the production is too notch. It's really interesting sonically and I especially love the dragged out instrumental after up in Hudson. Lyrically, I think longstreth does a good job in capturing the chaotic range of emotions one can feel after a break up, in which he can feel completely angry and vindictive and at the same time stay level headed and rational. I also love the ironic use of the organ in the closing track. Some of the dirty projectors appeal of course is the harmonies with the ladies, and we don't get any of that on this record, but there are several times where Dave makes use of some double tracking and it works really well, kind of mirroring conflicting thoughts that he probably is feeling.
8.5/10 for me
>>
Just got done listening to it for a third time. Although I think the album has some great moments and is going in a logical direction, I can't help but feel like Dave is similar to Bon Iver, just adding shallow, superficial electronics to stay hip just like they capitalized on the indie sound in the 2000s. Not criticizing for experimenting with new sounds but this just feels kinda desperate and out of touch with most modern electronic music
>>
I want to have sex with all their ladies, past and present.
>>
>>71183949
What's ironic about the organ use in the last track?

>>71185053
Didnt care for 21 A Million but the electronics here dont sound like gimmicks at all. At worst theyre over the top and ridiculous (like Work Together and Death Spiral). It's not that new either imo, he's had similar sounds in The Getty Address.
>>
>>71185969
probably reaching, but usually when i think of an organ i think of wedding music.
>>
>>71185969
I didn't think they sounded gimmicky but I also didn't feel like they were very thoroughly integrated into the actual composition, just kind of felt like the usual "outfitting" style of production rather than writing a song based on the sounds themselves
>>
>>71175257
Dave seems like a guy thatd be into cuckoldry.
>>
>>71176507
What did you study?
>>
>>71175549
Nothing they do will surpass bitte orca its a time long gone I feel
>>
rise above was the last good dirty projectors album.
>>
Classic /mu/ being contrarian fucks.

Whatever is trendy must be bad for you guys.

Stop being autistic hipster fucks.

This is gonna get over a 9 on pitchfork.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.