[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you Guys write proper lyrics that are not stupid, but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: Tw2_full_Dandelion_1.png (90KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
Tw2_full_Dandelion_1.png
90KB, 240x240px
How do you Guys write proper lyrics that are not stupid, but at the same time not completely autistic, which people can actually enjoy listening to?
I'm a pretty decent Instrumentalist, but im godawful with lyrics.
>>
Good lyrics can't be learned imo.

Best you can do is listen to artists who write good lyrics and try to assimilate their styles with your own feelings and turn of phrase. Read some poetry, learn the components of poetry, expand your vocabulary. Lyrical prose really cannot be learned though, just as a warning. Just make music that's good in spite of the lyrics.

Care to post a sample?
>>
>>71155991
Sure, I'll Post some of my attempts. Please dont judge me

The night was cold and inside it was warm
Carry her home her mightnight rider
She never forgot when he came through a snowstorm
Dont Make her feel like a strange Outsider
He rode to the other side
There he'll Be our guide Among the stars

When Will the wind whisper his return
When he rides back through the night
The Birds sing that he'll never return
Shot six times under a hunter's sight
Seems like she'll stay here on Earth
While he rides on the clouds above

She stays and she prays
That they'll meet again one Day
I sing and I play
For the Love of the Midnight rider and jos bride

This was to Be a "non-meme country" song, mostly influenced by Johnny Cash. I got some More, If you'd like
>>
>>71156038
This really doesn't strike me autistic or bad in any sense. It's not particularly poetic and has some "errors" but what's most important in lyrics is sincerity. If this came out naturally, you're fine. They're not perfect, they're not Dylan or Cohen, but they'd work just fine for the style of song you described and if you pair them with a good melody/guitar part you're good.

Some things to refine over time that are aces for lyrics are alliteration and internal rhymes. Just makes the cadence flow a lot better which is the single most important thing for lyrics since they're paired with a melody and all. But yeah I'd say the "skeleton" here is much better than what I expected.
>>
>>71155960
Sing a melody before writing lyrics, and then match em
No one is going to say "the lyrics aren't deep enough!" If it sounds good and organically meshes with the song
>>
File: 1483023263116.png (16KB, 958x660px) Image search: [Google]
1483023263116.png
16KB, 958x660px
>>71156169
Thanks, the problem I have Is exactly that poetic and flowing lyrics thing. I guess I kind off foewd myself to write these, and thats why they're not as good as they could Be. Also I have a tendency to Be disappointed with almost anything I write, mostly due to Me Having a semi-serilus case of depression. Not that edgy or normie one, but legit fucking depression.

But thanks man, i'll keep your advice in mind next Time im writing anything
>>
>>71156038
You have to think in terms of melody and rhythm. It's almost unreadable as it is so there's no way you can sing that sounding decent.
>and inside it was warm
>there he'll be our
>when will the wind whisper his
>the birds sing that
Can you hear how there's no flow of speech, no rhythm in those verses ?
First figure out the story if that's your thing, then focus on a word that you like and try to see where your tongue goes instinctively after you finish that word so you don't stop the flux of words. Singing the melody without lyrics first is a good way to hear what syllabes sound good within a verse.
>>
>>71156234
No prob bob; also >>71156231 and >>71156257 make good points. There's no right way to write a song but the melody is typically the best thing to tackle first, or at least a speaking rhythm or something. Writing lyrics with no music behind it then trying to come up with a melody is really difficult. I've tried it and I have a lot of wasted lyrics sitting around because I cannot think of a good melody for them. So keep that in mind as well.
>>
Most artists don't write good lyrics. Like take one of your favorite songs and write down the lyrics on paper. They're all pretty lame.
>>
Everybody's their own worst critic. Your lyrics aren't bad at all. Sometimes, the simplest lyrics are best.
>>
Seconding the criticism here >>71156257 which is basically what I thought as well. I've done a quick edit to show how cutting some of the "filler" words makes the lyrics pop out a bit more. I obviously have no idea how the song sounds so idk if this works or not but I was trying to make it read with a more natural implied rhythm.

The night was cold, inside was warm
Carry her home, midnight rider
She never forgot him through the storm
Don't make her a strange outsider
Riding away to the other side
There he will be our guide
Among the stars

The wind will whisper his return
When he rides back through the night
The birds still sing "he'll never return"
Shot six times in a hunter's sight
Seems she'll stay right here on Earth
While he's up there
Riding clouds above

She stays, she prays
They'll meet again one day
I sing and I play
For the love of the midnight rider and his bride

your mileage may vary with this edit obviously. I just usually find that removing words like "that", "when", "like" usually makes the language more direct and active sounding. Also less words is usually easier to phrase when singing since you have more room. Idk.

Not bad though, if I thought they were retarded and worthless—I wouldn't have bothered.
>>
>>71155960
Just B urself when you write dude haha
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.