[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think I may have found a lost Boards of Canada song

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

I was doing some cleaning over the weekend and found a box of my brothers old Vinyl records. I went through them and found a CD marked "boards of canada/hollyrood park". I'm not a huge Boards of Canada fan by any means, but I do have all of their albums and this song is not on any of them. Seeing as how we are from from scotland, and that my brother was big into the music scene here in the 90s, it seems plausible that this could actually be them.

I ripped it and uploaded it here https://youtu.be/ciiy-uDsdkI

Any thoughts?
>>
fake as fuck, sounds nothing like early boc or any boc at all
>>
>>71135963
well, okay then, i guess that settles that!
>>
>>71135983
its a pretty good copy tho
>>
>>71135909
got a pic of the CD? this sounds nothing like something they would've done in the early 90s and anything they released then would probably be on cassette anyway, so this is pretty much guaranteed fake (which was kind of a given just from the song desu.)
>>
post pictures within 6 minutes or absolutely fake as fuck
>>
>>71136050
At uni currently, I can post some photos in a few hours when I get back home!
>>
>>71136079
is it anything other than a plain looking CD with the name on it? does it have a cover, and if so, what is it like?
also if this thread dies before you can get pics you should make a new one.
>>
>>71136122
It's just a plain CD with 'boards of canada/hollyrood park" written on it. I will make another one if this thread dies.
>>
way too clean sounding to be legit, especially for 90s boc. better than most fakes though.
>>
>>71135963
Source? Or is this fake news
>>
sounds legit to me, i dig it
>>
>>71136550
What I thought as well. They were doing everything with tape back then iirc. And it sounds so clean compared to the Old Tunes/35 Tracks bootlegs.
>>
It's an interesting track, even though I think it's not BoC.
>>
>>71136615
whos says its from the 90s? all OP said is that his brother was active in the music scene in the 90s. This could literally be from last week., maybe a work in progress
>>
>>71136675
So why would a random guy have a recent unreleased BoC track on a CD?
>>
>>71135963
what are you talking about, that does not sound incredibly different from any track off the Old Tunes collection; plus they were more into sampling than using modulars at times and a lot of this sounds sampled to me, even if more rough than any other final product they released
>>
>>71136717
as >>71136550 said, it's super clean compared to the type of tones they'd usually use and its style indicates it would be MHtRtC-era if it were real, an era that definitely had more lo-fi tones than what that track has.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-02-20-12-52-15.png (244KB, 480x854px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-02-20-12-52-15.png
244KB, 480x854px
I Google hollyrood Park, it's a park in Edinburgh Scotland, where BOC are from.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm
>>
File: 7e3.jpg (31KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
7e3.jpg
31KB, 600x750px
>>71136792
idk, the time those tapes span (if they are real) is so vast it could include some period where they produced something less raw and eventually grew unsatisfied about it (this kind of "clean" mix is worse than the lo-fi one on mhtrtc, an effect they deliberately went for)
>>
File: beammeup.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
beammeup.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
This is a OP trying to sound like BoC thread, and he's doing OK on it.
>>
>>71136810
if anything this is even more evidence that's it's an obvious fake. too obvious of a reference
>>
>>71136989
something tells me tape fuckery is/was so integrated into their setup that they didn't have to go back and make it more lo-fi later, especially considering many sounds they used at the time were live instruments (guitars, who knows what else) filtered through god knows what. I want to believe too, though.
>>71137026
pretty much this. not perfectly accurate production-wise, but he managed to capture their overall sound well enough and the melody even sounded kinda BoC-esque. normally BoC ripoff attempts just put me off too.
>>
>>71136717
this doesn't sound even remotely legit. like at all. the melodic structures and production style are both off the mark
>>
>>71135909
OP if this is a joke you are no longer welcome on this board
>>
>>71137170
Not a joke, I just asked my brother to send me a picture of the cd.
>>
Bump for goodness
>>
File: DSC_0411.jpg (40KB, 1080x648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0411.jpg
40KB, 1080x648px
Here.
>>
>>71137994
O shi-
>>
sounds a lot like them imo though the beats are more simple next to what they would later do, it really sounds like one of their lesser tracks if it is in fact by them
>>
>>71138074
maybe it was a demo or something?
>>
Go ask on Twoism or any other of those autistic forums, maybe you can get MDG to confirm if fake or not.
>>
>>71138167
What's mdg?
>>
>>71138236
http://bocpages.org/wiki/MDG
He's the only link between boc and boctards.
>>
>>71137994
This confuse me even more
>>
legit or not this is pretty good
>>
>>71137994
Cheers for posting. Still, it doesn't sound right though.
It has the impression of someone trying to sound like BoC, rather than themselves.
It doesn't have any melodic motifs I recognise (maybe someone can point one out though).
>>
dude pitch lfo lmao
>>
>>71138379
Maybe it's an ufinished demo idea or something that developed into something else I don't know it's cool though
>>
>>71137994
OP delivers.
>>
>>71137101
Oh so you know BOC personally?
>>
>>71137994

Looking at the logo this cd-r would have had to be made after 2007
>>
>>71135909
Not sure if legit, but interesting. If I were you I'd be sending this around to music blogs/mags and forums. If this kicks up enough buzz maybe the band or band affiliates will comment on it.
>>
>>71140665
Who do I send it to?
>>
>>71140806
not that anon. you should probably go two twoism or something first like >>71138167 mentioned. music sites won't be interested unless it has a decent chance of being real.
>>
Decent mimicry but not legit. Whoever made it has a solid musical ear. Maybe instead of trying to pass off your music as lost BoC tracks you should promote it under your own name? Drums kind of suck though.
>>
The second track sounds very MHTRTC
>>
>>71141565
second track?
>>
>>71135909
Can you post a link to the raw ripped track here?

Real or fake, it's nice enough to put in my playlist.
>>
>>71141958
He probably means after the little melodic intro.
>>
>>71142003
I'll post it the mp3 or wav in aboutan hour of this thread is still alive. Heading home now.
>>
>>71135909
Pretty cool either way. Like, if this is a fake, you should post your music with your own name instead, senpai, we'd still appreciate it.

That said, if it is real, like, it'd be hella cool.
>>
Not A BOC fan, but this is awesome, probably not legit at all, sounds way too clean (:/), but It was worth every second
>>
OP IS A FUCKING FAGGOT THE ORIGINAL SONG IS BY "WRITHE". DIAF FAGGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i2BT58z_Xo
>>
>>71139407
this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Kagaku_Media

no underline
>>
>>71143336
Well, that solves that mystery :/
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.