[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could modern rap even be considered music? Or modern music in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 9

File: mumble.jpg (144KB, 1280x720px)
mumble.jpg
144KB, 1280x720px
Could modern rap even be considered music? Or modern music in general? You just press a machine and it produces sounds, then mumble incoherent hedonistic bullshit into a mic.

There is no music theory involved, no real instruments used, it's garbage tbqh family.
>>
just stop no one cares if you only listen to "real hip-hop" all music is subjective I dislike trap as a genre but I respect its place as a musical form try to think of it as post-modern art and even if you dislike it respect the talent
>>
>>71132554
There is absolutely no talent involved, literally anyone can do it and that's why I have no respect for it.

On top of it being downright garbage, it's making society as a whole shit as well. I'm tired of this modern art busllshit trend where you think nailing shit to a wall and calling it "art" should be respected.

Kindly kys.
>>
>>71132568
you get out of mum's basement and do it then bartholomew
rock is dead when are the rockists going to go ten feet under with it?
>>
"Trap" is fucking garbage
>>
the level of thought invested into every piece is varying yes the rappers you listed 4/5 are record industry produced but what about lil yatchy his project lil boat was one of the most sonically interesting records in years again not a fan but just pointing out the fact it's not all shit thrown at the wall
>>
>>71132568
>There is absolutely no talent involved
go ahead, download ableton and make a beat then. I kinda agree that the lyrics of popular songs are garbage most of the time, but if yopu want good lyricists, search for them

nice bait tho 10/10 made me and another anon reply
>>
>>71132580

t. DeLontrell Robinson-Jackson
>>
>>71132601
this isn't bait this is what happens when you grow up sad and neglected jerking it to prog all day
>>
>>71132601
Pretty much all the beats sound like the same generic garbage. So it wouldn't be hard to do, I'm open minded so I'll check it out but I guarantee it's going to be straight ass.
>>
Yachty doesn't mumble
>>
>>71132620
Or, this is what happens when you actually like music and not the same regurgitated garbage.

Every genre has it's virtuoso to end all virtuosos, now tell me: What is mumble rap's virtuoso champion? And how does she stack up to the artist in other genres?

Now think of that and you'll some come to realize how bottom-tier this garbage really is.
>>
>>71132622

There is no talent involved. 90% of Shit-Hop is based around the Amen and Apache breaks.

Rap about the club, drank, hoes, and guns on top of it, and you got yourself a rap song.
>>
>>71132649
mumble rap isn't a genre you absolute dweeb
>>
>>71132659

Oh, and anchor it with an 808 bassline. That's crucial.
>>
>>71132535
it's so easy to make a hit rap song today, i'd almost do it myself
>>
>>71132622
(not the anon you replied to)
all metal sounded the same for me not so long ago, it's an aquired taste
but even if I'm still more of a metalhead than a hip hop fan, I can see than
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DABmDz4RxoU
sounds noyhing like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch-hTdc8wRM
wich sounds nothing like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA
>>
>>71132713
What you posted is actual decent hip-hop.

I'm talking about shit like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhwHhWQo95c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5ONTXHS2mM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-sJp1FfG7Q
>>
>>71132774
Bad and boujee is a good song though
>>
>>71132713
this is just garbage somebody who spends their day listening to indie rock dips into
>>
>>71132796
If you have double digit IQ, sure.
>>
>>71132830
If you can't appreciate the good parts of the song you have a single digit iq
>>
if its so easy whats stopping you from making a hit song to fund your "band"
oh wait you don't even have the talent to make garbage music
>>
>>71132848
I'm still waiting for a "good part" of the song.
>>
>>71132889
The rhyme scheme is good, and Quavo's verse isn't bad.
>>
>>71132774
I bet you couldn't even figure out how to make the background ambiance in that first song.
>>
>>71132903
Yeah, I'm at such a loss on how to produce this generic 4/4 garbage.

Do tell how much you actually know about music?
>>
>>71132535

>hedonistic

there is literally nothing wrong with hedonism
>>
>>71132933
go ahead
make a beat for us right now senpai
>>
>>71132933
Pointing out that it's 4/4 tells me you don't play music. Music doesn't have to be an unusual time signature to be complex you fucking buffoon. And my point was that you wouldn't know shit from shinola once you opened up an electronic music production program or set foot in a studio.
>>
>>71132950
>implying
>>
>>71132981
“Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.
-Matthew 7:1-5
>>
>>71132774
a lot of rap isn't about lyrical content, it's about what flows and sounds good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8fTMi3QSOY
>>
imagine being this stupid holy shit 'durr i don't like popular music look how sophisticated and special i am'. i seriously hope you are 16 years old or younger because after that age being this much of a retarded edgelord really isn't justifiable anymore.
>>
>>71132981

tl;dr:

>>71133001

>bible quote

lmao
>>
>>71132974
For one, I'm not bashing on all music produced by electronic music production programs you fucking shit-heel. I like artist like Nujabes, Flying-Lotus, Aphex Twin, MF Doom, Kero One, Daft Punk, etc..

Nor am I saying that music has to be in odd-time signatures to be complex either. Just that these modern ages artist are doing nothing new or groundbreaking and all sound the same. THAT trap shit is not hard to produce, the artist I just named? Actually produce good shit and do new and interesting things with every album they produce.
>>
>>71132820
maybe, they're still different one from another
>>
>>71133037
matthew 7:1-5 is a really good quote
if you read it. it tells you only God can judge you which goes against op looking down upon hedonism
>>
>>71133042
okay why don't you produce a trap beat for us right now?
>>
>>71133042
Nujabes just took samples from bossa nova, Spanish guitar, and elevator music type shit and looped it, then added boom bap. Why do backpackers put him on a pedestal? Less theory goes into that than the minimal keyboard playing that goes into the ambiance behind some of the trap beats you posted.
>>
>you just press a machine and it produces music

Funny, all this time, you see, I thought people were called producers for a reason. Something to do with getting the mix right, finding audio clips and samples to use and then manually creating the backing tracks to fit perfectly with the vocals and themes they had.
>>
>>71132535
le wrong generation
>>
>>71133001
There is a difference between righteous judging and other judging
>>
>>71133042
god you are such an unlikable little piece of shit. reminder you just listen to the fucking music and no matter how 'good' the music you listen to might be you're still just a faggy consumer like any normie top 40 listener, just with a shitty opinion that literally doesn't matter. Stop identifying so much with your tastes in music it's embarrassing.
>>
there are more talentless hacks who make beats than pretty much anything else, so you really have to dominate to find success in that.

it's also really fucking hard to rap and not sound like a total goober

a lot of "mumble" rappers are just trying to sound cool, cold and uncaring, which isn't something everyone can do
>>
>>71133082
I don't just "listen" to music you fucking mong. I actually study music and play it because I have a PASSION for it.

So when I see monkeys throwing shit at a wall and claiming how artistic and creative it is, it pisses me off.
>>
>>71133110
this is bait
try harder next time
>>
>>71132889
raindrop
droptop!
>>
>>71133113
>I don't have a proper retort
>Time to use le-bait smoke bomb so I can magically disappear without having to respond

Typical.
>>
>>71133110
I've been playing piano since childhood but luckily I didn't turn into a pretentious dickhead. You probably strum a guitar though.
>>
File: 1482459292251.png (120KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1482459292251.png
120KB, 300x300px
>>71132568
it's not SUPPOSED to be respected it's just supposed to be enjoyed as background music or as self-insert male fantasy or something idk
and you don't need to have "respect" for that to work
it has nothing in common with any form of modern art, it's not academic in nature, like you said yourself theory is not the point
mumble rap is shite but you're a straight up retarded pseudointellectual teenager
>>
>>71133098
>there are more talentless hacks who make beats than pretty much anything else, so you really have to dominate to find success in that.

Indeed.

Notice how's there's seemingly a "hot new rapper/producer" every month? Millions upon millions of hacks are twiddling away on Fruity Loops in the projects, so the lifespan is super short for a lot of this garbage.
>>
>>71133130
look man if you wanna shitpost go ahead
but you're gonna have to work harder on your material

try adding some nu-male cucks to your sentences
>>
>>71132535
Reminds me of what the Death Metal genre eventually devolved into.
>>
>>71133143
>devolved
but this album is where it peaked
>>
File: #SRIRACHA MEME 3.jpg (203KB, 882x703px) Image search: [Google]
#SRIRACHA MEME 3.jpg
203KB, 882x703px
https://soundcloud.com/tonyendz/sriracha
>>
>>71133139
What exactly is "supposed" to be respected to you, retard? Nobody makes things with the intent of it being respected, that's something earned. And mumble rap hasn't earned that.

>Le fence sitting "it's bad, but you suck for liking good music too" argument
>>
>>71133174
you wouldn't suck for liking good music too if you weren't such a self righteous ideologue about it
prove that you study music or that's all you'll be
>>
>>71133110
you know what pisses me off? little shits who lie on the internet.
>>
>>71133110
>claiming how artistic and creative it is
who the fuck does that
seriously
the white bloggers who write analysis on stuff like that mostly talk about how it's novel or socially interesting in some way, not any kind of music theoretical analysis
fun fact: music theory is descriptive, it's not the point of music, the point is the actual experience and in pop/rap/rock, involvement with music culture
i mean what, are you a dream theater fan?
>>
>>71133133
It's a shame that liking actual music makes you "pretentious" in today's society, tell me, what do you play? That same generic 5 note repetitive piano sample you hear in almost every trap song nowadays?
>>
>>71133149
I consider Devourment the start of all the wigger slam bands.
>>
>>71133174
>Nobody makes things with the intent of it being respected
that would be a simple truism if it weren't fucking wrong either. everyone wants approval of others you mong. generally when we talk about respect on artistic terms we talk about extraordinary musicianship or being innovative, that's what i said is not the point of this style
>>
>>71133191

The point is music and always has been music.

Although, trap isn't exactly music. Of course they don't give some musical analysis because most people don't know shit about music on a technical level.
>>
File: 1485284837561.jpg (28KB, 344x422px) Image search: [Google]
1485284837561.jpg
28KB, 344x422px
>>71133222
>trap isn't exactly music.
can you be any more of a square?
>>
Can we just ban americans from /mu/?
>>
>>71133193
liking any music doesn't make you pretentious you fucking retarded sperg holy shit shut up. you actually made me mad now good fucking job. what makes you pretentious is your smug fucking attitude that comes from nothing but your taste in music and dislike of whatever you call 'mumble rap'. You are not better than anyone else and your music sure as hell doesn't make you better than anyone else either why can't you get that through your thick head. Your so called 'passion' for music that apparently results in baseless hatred for a genre you very obviously know nothing about and don't even seem to understand (which is surprising as you claim the music is so stupid and you are oh so intelligent) is the pinnacle of immaturity
>>
>>71133218
>everyone wants approval of others you mong

Then that would completely contradict what you said earlier then dumbass.

> generally when we talk about respect on artistic terms we talk about extraordinary musicianship or being innovative, that's what i said is not the point of this style

And then your second point just completely validates mine, so you're saying that when a trap artist creates something they aren't doing it because they think it's "hard tho bruh" and want to show it to the world?
>>
>>71132535
>ITT: Another OP who thinks modern music is easy and derivative while not realising their own opinion is equally as easy and derivative.

tl;dr - kys
>>
>>71133236
we'd be better of banning all the anaemic euros who wake up hop on /mu/ to complain about a genre they could never hope to understand before they go off to chop wood and dress up like vikangz
>>
>>71133258
Oh fuck off idiot, everything has a standard of quality.

Let me guess, you're one of those "ANYTHING CAN BE GOOD, EVEN IF IT'S JUST BEATING A TIN CAN OVER AND OVER AGAIN FOR 10 STRAIGHT MINUTES IT CAN BE ENJOYABLE." right?

This shit actually influences society as a whole, when music makes you think it's a beautiful thing. When it's reduced to the same generic drivel it does the OPPOSITE and you can see it today. If you think promoting smoking weed, fucking shallow bitches, and gargling "sizzurp" and various other mind-frying drugs is cool then fucking hang yourself, seriously.

Don't get me wrong, psychedelic rock did much of the same. But at least it took actual talent to play and was overall creative and interesting.
>>
File: folder.jpg (219KB, 992x980px) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
219KB, 992x980px
do any of you like mid 2000s hip hop? i feel like music nerds only developed this kind of acceptance for lowbrow rap in the last few years, but also a sort of recency bias so naturally because "ringtone rap" isnt popular anymore there's no real re-evaluation going on. even though that's something i see in process for pop rock from that decade
>>
>>71133274
Not all modern music is thoughtless and derivative, just most pop.
>>
>>71132620
>this isn't bait this is what happens when you grow up sad and neglected jerking it to prog all day
If this isn't bait, to hell with this board.
>>
>>71133263
idk i probably tried to present too many different perspectives and counterpoints to the point where they contradict itself, mainly because you had no real perspective at all, you're just an ideologue

>>71133333
>If you think promoting smoking weed, fucking shallow bitches, and gargling "sizzurp" and various other mind-frying drugs is cool then fucking hang yourself, seriously.
i mean seriously you're basically just being a SJW
and you definitely don't deserve those delicious digits
>>
>>71133052
>it tells you only God can judge you which goes against op looking down upon hedonism
Oh, really? Which God?
>>
>>71133333
>guitars are harder to play than electronic based instruments

Is this YouTube?
>>
>>71133389
all of them
>>
>>71133397
And all of them exist and all of them are omnibenevolent?
>>
>>71133396
At least guitarist, bassist, drummers, etc.., have actual control over their instruments and can innovate on the spot live.
>>
>>71133410
yes
>>
>>71133396
Not the same anon, but who cares really? Brian Eno's music is for the most part minimalistic and not overly technically complex and it still sounds fresh and original to this day.
>>
>>71133424
*posted from his electronic device from his electronic router
>>
>>71133445
Good to know buddy. Praise Jeebus!
>>
>>71133410

>Implying gods need to be benevolent
>implying that sort of dualism in a superior being
>Implying you're straight
>>
Yo OP, new to the thread but I really wanna hear some of your own music if you're that passionately slaving away at it.
>>
Absolutely
>>
>>71133460
>*tips fedora*
>>
Uzi's verse on Boujee tho
>>
>>71133623
clever.
>>
>>71133575
3/10
>>71133623
1/10
>>
>>71132535
21 Savage is legitmately bad. I don't know how anyone cant willingly listen to his music for extended periods of time.

Desiigner was a one-hit wonder, and shows no sign of recovering his fame unless you know.... HE ACTUALLY PUTS OUT A HALF-DECENT SONG

Kodak is meh, I get his appeal and I've heard a song by him that I like.

Yachty is definetely a trendsetter, and his rise to fame is unprecedented and is completely understandable. and I feel the same way about Uzi.

"What is fire, is fire"
>>
>>71132535
Yachty's sound is quite different from the rest of the rappers in that picture

He adds a certain happier and more colorful aesthetic to his music that makes him stand out from the Uzi Verts and 21 Savages.

It's quite enjoyable, just listen to the Lil Boat mixtape
>>
>>71132774
>He can't understanding what they are saying

that's not their fault.
>>
>>71132649
>she
What>>?!??
>>
>>71132903
Wow yeah because reversing something really takes skill, what a faggot that you're. Even bandcamp ambient doesn't go this low. Trap and rap and pop in general doesn't take skill at all after all most "producers" boats that they can make the beats as fast as possible. Silica gel is probably the most complex stuff you will hear from this gear but its still not even close to other genres, even rock. Of course skill doesn't equal good, but the foremost genres still suck.
>>
>>71134082
rock is pop
>>
>>71134088
Not really.
>>
>>71134105
yeah it is
>>
>>71134111
Noth.
>>
>>71132535
everybody in that pic is trash except yachty.
thugger is also god tier
>>
congrats OP one of the most successful bait thread ever
>>
>>71133139

>muh academia

fuck off
>>
>>71134262
fuck off.
>>
>>71132554
instead of defending your shit taste why not get better taste?
>>
>>71132568
>literally anyone can do it
but you didn't
>>
>>71134698
>Anyone can write garbage
>But you didn't

Ok, anon. That's a compliment.
>>
ITT: nu-males take low effort, obvious bait
>>
>>71132713
>unironic eminem in 2017
>>
>>71134756
What's wrong with modern Eminem?
>>
File: 1473016419035.jpg (74KB, 807x802px) Image search: [Google]
1473016419035.jpg
74KB, 807x802px
>>71133142
>Admitting you're a nu-male cuck with shit taste
>>
File: 1487214189051.png (97KB, 320x370px) Image search: [Google]
1487214189051.png
97KB, 320x370px
>>71132535
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah09WX0AyUk

what did he mean by this?
>>
watchi this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO-mXcwQ30M
then this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMuoJrcbtGU
Thread posts: 113
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.