[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/clyp thread/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: clyp.jpg (39KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
clyp.jpg
39KB, 1280x720px
post clyps and critique and help each other.
-
>no soundcloud
>always leave feedback before posting
>play nice

here's mine
https://clyp.it/dlyofi4b
>>
>>71132114
>better mix
>better mastering
>better recording
>not so fucking short
>noisy as fuck for no reason
>get that mic further from the guitar
overall - bad
>>
>>71133552
thanks for giving feedback, I appreciate it. now, I agree with most of your criticisms, but I can't help but feel you've misunderstood what I'm trying to achieve. I'm very consciously producing it with low-fidelity - I love the ambiguity of the sounds. furthermore, I record everything with a laptop mic, not caring about the relation to the mic and the instrument. this gives the sounds a natural, unpredictable character that's unique for the specific moment I'm recording. all the dirt, grime and noise are all bi-products of the moment and the situation I recorded the piece. this makes the piece more about the circumstance it was recorded in, rather than the notes, chords or time signatures. the beginning and end is a recording of the leaking sounds of my friends headphones, and the voice is a cut out from a secret recording of a conversation we had.

as far as the mix and mastering goes I'd love to hear what you'd change. I'm not completely happy with it either, but I do want to keep the clypping and noises. I realize the maracas, or if we're honest - the salt shaker - might be a little loud at times. but it's played by the friend I was recording besides, and therefore I like the idea of having it prominently showcased.

I don't intend to disregard your criticisms, as they're all valid - and adjusting for them would probably make for a piece that's easier to appreciate. it's just not what I was going for.
>>
https://clyp.it/vmvpsnqg
>>
>>71134978
this piece doesn't speak to me at all. feels very sterile. melody feels uninspired,
the backwards sounding sounds are cool though. nothing here effects me emotionally, or seems interesting conceptually. you've obviously made a decent track though, that could fit in perfectly in the background of any small indie game.

point is - this seems really directionless, but you're talented enough to make something that works well and sounds decent.
>>
>>71134632
let me add up to my overall critique
> I'm very consciously producing it with low-fidelity - I love the ambiguity of the sounds.
there is good lo-fi and a garbage lo-fi. if you like that kind of sound you would understand why your track is bad. good lo-fi is created using a good assortment of elements and then later, in the production process, it is refined by mixing in onto a tape for example. saying that you make your track lo-fi by
>record everything with a laptop mic
is really pathetic way of making any sort of music. if i were you i would make it with a professional mic and then make it lo-fi. not make a shitty recording. because that's what it is
> this gives the sounds a natural, unpredictable character that's unique for the specific moment I'm recording
this same thing can be done with a better equipment. and it also sounds 100 times better and more refined. also, this is the most apologetic shit i've heard in a really long time. even bc lo-fi shitheads aren't making this that apologizing.
>all the dirt, grime and noise are all bi-products of the moment and the situation I recorded the piece
you call this a piece? seriously? also, noise, grime and dirt can be added by other means. have you heard of field recording? your way is a solid way of how to NOT add these sorts of item into your music
> this makes the piece more about the circumstance it was recorded in, rather than the notes, chords or time signatures
how can I applaude you for that? good job, you hit a record button and played some shit. that's like, umm, pretty new?
(1/2)
>>
>>71134632
>as far as the mix and mastering goes I'd love to hear what you'd change.
again - better equipment is required. everything is way too loud and it makes a terrible peaks at certain parts. plus, recording via fucking laptop mic. read those words again and again until you understand what's wrong with that. also, keeping clipping and noises is fine. but you're doesn't add anything to the music. it makes the more irritating. a good musician doesn't add unnecessary stuff to their music. you can make all the excuses in that. you can say it is that and that because that and that. but a good track, composition, whatever doesn't need to be explained in order to be good.
> I realize the maracas, or if we're honest - the salt shaker - might be a little loud at times. but it's played by the friend I was recording besides, and therefore I like the idea of having it prominently showcased.
bullshit. fucking bullcrap. then why just not make a track completely about him them? for god sake, you either mix elements together or add a shit ton of tomatos into a ketchup. what do you prefer?
>but I can't help but feel you've misunderstood what I'm trying to achieve
maybe. but maybe you can't help but not understand a good way of recording stuff. sorry boy, it's fucking garbage. also, recording in a moment works only in a demo. really, really rough demo.
(2/2)
>>
https://clyp.it/w253ddur
>>
https://clyp.it/00n0ozuh
>>
>>71135456
This is pretty neat and I like it. Don't really have any criticism.
>>
>>71135416
>>71135366
you're making great points.
good lo-fi music is music where the lo-fi adds to the sounds instead of just being there. in my case it's more of an aesthetic, a shell. there's a huge difference, and I wish to try to make something where it's more thoughtful soon.

I won't combat you arguments - because you're right. I didn't realize it when I made the post, but this p̶i̶e̶c̶e̶ recording really isn't about anything tangible from hearing it. I realize now I never wanted to get critiqued, because the recording isn't at all about the music. that might seem paradoxal - to most people art is something aesthetic. it is for me too, except when it concerns mine or my close friends'. as far as anything technical goes, the song really is shitty.

the only issues I have with your response is the last two points. the song really is all about that specific moment, sitting there on the bed with my friend. she was painting as I was recording this song. the song is an ode to that day, to this moment in our lives. her listening to kate bush, the roommate high in the room right beside us, the meaningless conversations about art and philosophy. of course you can't hear any of those things, because you weren't there. the song doesn't tell this story - it only captures fragments of it. I do deeply believe everything I wrote about capturing a moment in time, and letting it's character show through its unpredictabilities - but I'm not going to ask of you to see any beauty in that. I'm sorry for wasting your time, presenting the song as something I never intended it to be.

live a fruitful life
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.