[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

kek based julia holter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2

kek based julia holter
>>
not everyone's family has $115 million to afford an admission to CalArts, Julia
>>
no way
>>
>>71131376
>being this lazy to not earn scholarships
wew
>>
>>71131260
lmao she thinks she's not on the same level
>>
Who?
>>
shes just the same though
>>
Yep, the only real art is commercialized bourgeois shit made to sell and nothing else, amirite?
>>
what is the context to this? I looked up her shit and it's disposable pop.
>>
>>71131411
some honky mofo
>>
I hate rich white girls
>>
soundcloud rappers btfo
>>
>>71131401
>>71131415
she's now working with different musicians outside, but yes, she started making music doing the same thing with people she's talking about
>>
>>71131420
LOL
>>
>>71131260
I mean she's not wrong. Outside a few artists who actually know how to use the aesthetic, the lo-fi meme is one of the biggest music cancers of the 21st century next to the influx of conservative indie rock and crass pop-rap being post-ironically appraised
>>
>>71131376
Given technology these days, people could get a really decent end product with some effort
>>
>>71131260
That's the most controversial thing she said, she's just too polite to cause any wild reactions. Unlike Grimes...
>>
Have You In My Wilderness has incredible production values and will go down as one of the strongest works of the decade
>>
>>71131420
good meme 420
>>
>>71132943
t. julia holter
>>
>>71131260

that's literally what all of her albums until Loud City Song were though
>>
Awesome quote.

I wish Soundcloud and Bandcamp were nuked into oblivion, along with every DAW setup on the planet.

FLStudio and Albeton via distribution through social media has visited more mediocrity on the planet than anything else.

If you can't play an instrument, sing, don't understand acoustics and psychoacoustics, don't know at least basic music theory, you don't deserve to make music.

DAWs are the "everyone gets a trophy" of music production.
>>
>>71133006
i assume she's talking more about Frankie Cosmos bullshit, Holter's first 2 albums are definitely more inventive drone/electronics than just singing
>>
>>71133026
dumbass
>>71133061
even so its an idiotic quote. i mean ppl like ariel pink spent half of their career doing exactly what she said.
with every scene you get a ton of crap and some really good stuff. thats how life is
>>
>>71131376

Is her family really that wealthy?
I know her mother is an historian professor or some shit like that.
>>
Fuck this wealthy bitch
>>
>>71131260
based julia confirmed for republican?
>>
>>71134197
nope
>>
If that's what gets your dick hard, telling people they're bad at making art.
>>
>>71131260
What an asinine, incorrect, elitist thing to say.

It reflects poorly on her.
>>
>>71134294
Consider that she started making music in that way she despise it now... So much hypocrisy.
>>
>>71131376
I agree with >>71132015. You don't need to go to an art school for that.

>>71131396
CalArts is god-awful expensive. Scholarships wouldn't cover all those costs. Art schools are the actual expensive colleges since they have awful financial aid. People think the prestigious colleges are the most expensive since their sticker price is the highest when in reality their financial aid covers most of that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/rampage/wp/2014/03/28/the-most-expensive-colleges-in-the-country-are-art-schools-not-ivies/
>>
SOUNDCLOUDITE BTFO

WILL THEY EVER RECOVER
>>
>>71134392
It's ridicolous too?

The early Smog albums weren't art?

Jandek isn't art?

Half of Alan Lomax's recordings aren't art?
>>
Did anyone bother to contextualize this quote?
>>
>>71131260
she's one to talk
>if I put loads of reverb on my voice and sign in a vaguely foreign accent it's art
>>
"I make -art- unlike the plebes."
- Julia Holter
>>
>>71131260
>art can only be created by the rich
>>
>>71134440

She is not saying that all lo-fi music made by bedroom artists is shit, but most of it certainly is. You could say the same about every music genre tho, even when it's produced professionally.
Basically she is not wrong, but she comes off a bit as a stuck-up bitch.
>>
that's the full quote, btw:

>Pitchfork: You utilize home-recording techniques when making your music, is that out of choice or necessity?

>Julia Holter: I made Ekstasis on my own because it was the way I could make it. When I have more support, I'll be working with more people. I think that's important. But, with my own music, I'm very solitary out of necessity. There's an intimacy there that's nice, as long as you can form it well. I hear a lot of music that's just lazy-- you know, people in their bedrooms singing some shit into the microphone. It's just bad. But they're like, "This is art." It's so annoying. When people do that and then get immediately famous, they're like, "Whoa, what do I do now? I've never performed before." That's a huge problem.
>For a while, I was helping my friend with his label, Human Ear. I would get emails from people with the shittiest music, people who were just, like, puking into the microphone-- puking into a microphone could be interesting if you come up with an interesting form for it. There has to be some skill there. And that just takes time. I've been working on my music for a long time. It's true I made Tragedy and Ekstasis in my bedroom, but I've also been performing for years as a solo artist. I love performing. It's about putting your soul into it, not just being hip.

(http://pitchfork com/features/rising/8769-julia-holter/)
>>
>>71131260
her music is boring and she wont be remembered once p4k drops her as a flavor of the month
>>
>>71131260
i don't read numalefork, who is she?
>>
>>71131376
Hahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahagha you honestly think that makes your shitty and uneducated music ability somehow more valuable than an educated and thoughtful one
>>
>>71135508

wtf I hate julia holter now
she's basically saying "It's only music if I like it", what a stuck-up bitch
>>
>>71135508
She's fucking right, if you disagree you're probably one of the talentless hacks she's referring to
>>71133026
This too
>>
>>71135508
what a pretentious dweeb
>>
>>71135508
ahh so this is what they call white privilege
>>
>>71131447
Me too anon. Me too.
>>
>>71131260
Will Toledo on suicide watch!!
>>
>>71135662
more like economic privilege. but yeah, elitist bullshit
>>
File: 1487286114124.png (206KB, 843x308px) Image search: [Google]
1487286114124.png
206KB, 843x308px
>>71135537
At least we have a real talented artist (Grimes) to support.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.