[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

***ATTENTION*** music nerds needed***ATTENTION***

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 6

File: DBOW.jpg (51KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
DBOW.jpg
51KB, 450x450px
Hi /mu/

So all of my all time favorite bands ever (velvet underground, iggy pop, the germs, joy division, nirvana) to name a few, all cite david bowie as a huge influence on their music (i know the first two bands also influenced bowie) and i always hear so much hype about Bowie and i've just never gotten around to listening to any of his music, and i'm 20 now, so i feel a little far behind.

Literally, the only David Bowie songs i've ever heard is "The Man Who Sold the World", "Space Oddity", "Lazarus", "Changes" and his duet with Freddie Mercury on "Under Pressure"

I enjoy them all immensely, very catchy, i just don't know where to start.

Where do i start?

What albums are essential to hear first?

Which ones are flops?

Favorite/Least favorite albums?

Which is the hardest/softest?

plz respond
>>
Ziggy Stardust and Aladdin Sane are a good starting point. Move slowly, listen to one album at a time, don't blaze through the discography or it will be a jumbled mess.
>>
Hunky Dory and Ziggy startdust to start.

Then listen to his 70's albums. Then Scary Monsters and skip the rest of the 80s.

Then 00's or 90s.
>>
>>71105572
>>71105589
personal favorites?

what album would you say is the closest to hard rock?
>>
>>71105634
Closest to hard rock: The Man Who Sold the World

Personal Favorite: Diamond Dogs.

Also there is an album between Ziggy and Aladdin that you need to avoid at all costs. We do NOT speak of it. Ever.
>>
>>71105707
If you're referring to Pin Ups, you're fucking retarded because that album is great.
>>
>>71105507
Start with Hunky Dory or Station to Station. If you're into more experimental stuff, Low.
>>
>>71105707
>>71105707
which is that?

i didnt think david bowie was capable of writing bad music..
>>
>>71105737
WE. DON'T. SPEAK OF IT.

>>71105757
What the other guy said, but either way. Don't listen to it. It ruins a great album streak.
>>
>>71105757
his techno/DNB album is pretty bad even for what it is, but that's not exactly his forte so it can be forgiven as he was more just experimenting with a new genre.

the guy youre replying to just has shit taste, and Pin Ups came out AFTER Aladdin so
>>
>>71105572
Absolutely this, don't feel like you need to listen to them all quickly.

>Personal favs
Low and Ziggy
>>
>>71105781
>and [censored] came out AFTER Aladdin so'

Ok my bad. But still. Avoid it.

Also: Earthling was god damn awesome, so shut it.
>>
Low, "Heroes," and Lodger are his only albums worth hearing; de facto, they are Brian Eno, not David Bowie, albums. Bowie performed his music, but did not create it. He was merely a singer, and his forgettable vocals are the weakest contribution to all his music. Bowie's albums are more his collaborators' and producers' than his own.
>>
>>71105797
I want namefags to leave

>>71105757
Pinups is a good rock album
>>
If you want to see the thing about Bowie kinda forgotten by a lot of modern "journalists," watch his live shows from the Ziggy era. He really defines the modern popstar, it's performance art, and the women fucking love Bowie, he's filthy as fuck just lynxing around the stage shoving his cock in their faces.
>>
Station to Station (1976)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rztH3WXltNw
Low (1977)
https://youtu.be/gYtDhfR2t2Y
Heroes (1977)
https://youtu.be/wzAzpuCW02k
The Idiot (1977)
https://youtu.be/ft-U-OfwC6M
>but thats iggy pop
The Idiot was at least have written by bowie
>>
>>71105820
haha i heard that it wasnt always women bowie was after, namely mick jagger
>>
>>71105828
half written*
>>
>>71105813
>Berlin Trilogy the only albums worth hearing

maybe if you like some decent pop tunes followed by 20+ minutes of ambient music (which bowie did have a HUGE role in creating, fuck you)

his rock albums are clearly superior if you have any taste in music
>>
>>71105861
if you dont think station to station is a rock album then you are retarded
>>
>>71105901
isnt*
and I realized that station isnt berlin trilogy
statement still stands though
>>
>>71105572

Yep, the way I have approached his discography is to treat it like an actual gold mine. Tread slowly, take the time to process everything you can. Look for cool anecdotes once in a while for the albums you like, maybe read a couple of wiki pages to see if anything catches your eye. Talk with people over what you liked and didn't, and move from there.

The best starting pint has to be Ziggy Stardust.
>>
ziggy is pretty accessible. hard to not like, then move through low, hunky dory, heroes, diamond dogs, aladdin sane, changesbowie, stationtostation, blackstar.
>>
>>71105901
station to station is my favorite bowie rock trip next to diamond dogs, especially considering he had no memory of recording it
>>
File: bo.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
bo.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
OP here

just took my friend home and listened to ziggy and all i can say is THERES A STARRRRMAANNNN WAITING IN THE SKY, HE THINKS HED LIKE TO MEET US, BUT HE KNOWS HED BLOW OUR MINDS

amazing.

also for you bowie fans that have listened to his entire discog, what was listening to black star like?

really sad?

did he leave any cool coded messages in that one?
>>
>>71106430
there was like a week after blackstar was released before he died so listening to it wasnt too sad
afterwards it started being really weird though
>Look up here, I'm in heaven
>I've got scars that can't be seen
>I've got drama, can't be stolen
>Everybody knows me now
>>
File: IMG_0353.jpg (52KB, 585x501px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0353.jpg
52KB, 585x501px
Start from the very beginning, that is the way to go. His first album isn't all too good but if you know you like him already that shouldn't turn you away
>>
>>71105507
ironically my first real exposure to bowie was young americans, after that i started at ziggy and hunky dory, then aladdin sane, then diamond dogs (maybe, it took me a while to listen to the whole thing), then station to station, then the berlin trilogy including iggy pop's the idiot and then scary monsters, lets dance if you like 80s pop but its like good bowie apocrypha, skip pinups
>>
>>71106610
never really got into his self titled albums but i fuck with his pre solo mod rock shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1MXonBG5NI
>>
dont mind me just posting best bowie song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DanDvAfCcs
>>
File: flowchart david bowie.png (571KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
flowchart david bowie.png
571KB, 1280x1024px
>>
The other album we dare not speak of is "David Bowie is Alive and Living Only In Theory," AKA "David Live Playing Bad Blue-Eyed Soul Covers of His Own Music Strung Out on Cocaine with a Bad that is About to Go on Strike"
>>
Ignore what anyone says. Listen to Bowie's personally curated Nothing Has Changed compilation and start from there. Listen to all of his albums, they are all worth a listen even if you can't get into them all. You may be surprised.
>>
>>71105820

Supposedly at that last show men were jacking off and women were blowing random men. Bowie's other live stuff is all worth a listen, just to hear the different appoaches to his repertoire.
>>
IMO, these are the essentials:
>Hunky Dory
>Ziggy Stardust (top essential, first album you ought to listen to)
>Station to Station
>Low
>Heroes
>Scary monsters
My personal favourite being Scary Monsters for the sheer audacity of making a pop/rock album and letting a guitarist such as Robert Fripp do all the guitar solos.
>>
>>71106430
>did he leave any cool coded messages in that one?
Yes but that's for you to find out.
Listening to Blackstar was very very sad. I couldn't listen to it all the way through without breaks.
>>
Like many have said, Ziggy Stardust is a great starting point. Listen to a few other albums he's helped on (the idiot, transformer) if you want, but here's my suggestions:
Ziggy
MAn who sold the world
Heroes
Low
Diamond Dogs

Listen to his other stuff but make sure to save The Next Day and Blackstar for when you've listened to him quite a bit.

Also, take a look at the film fir the Ziggy stardust tours. Great film.
>>
File: 1485813469677.jpg (26KB, 393x462px) Image search: [Google]
1485813469677.jpg
26KB, 393x462px
David Bowie turned marketing into the essence of his art. All great phenomena of popular music, from Elvis Presley to the Beatles, had been, first and foremost, marketing phenomena (just like Coca Cola and Barbie before them); however, Bowie turned that into an art of its own. With Bowie the science of marketing becomes art; art and marketing become one. There were intellectuals who had proclaimed this theory in rebellious terms. Bowie was, in many ways, the heir, no matter how perverted, of Andy Warhol's pop art and of the underground culture of the 1960s. He adopted some of the most blaspheme issues and turned them upside down to make them precisely what they had been designed to fight: a commodity.
Bowie was a protagonist of his times, although a poor musician: to say that Bowie is a musician is like saying that Nero was a harp player (a fact that is technically true, but misleading). Bowie embodies the quintessence of artificial art, raises futulity to paradigm, focuses on the phenomenon rather than the content, makes irrelevant the relevant, and, thus, is the epitome of everything that went wrong with rock music.

http://www.scaruffi.com/vol3/bowie.html
>>
Skip his self titled, Pin Ups, Tonight, Never Let Me Down, and Black Tie. These albums range from mediocre to horrifically bad. Everything else ranges from decent to 10/10. My personal favorites in order being Station, Low, Ziggy, Alladin, Heroes.
>>
>>71108966
He still rated Low and Heroes a 7 and 7.5 respectively, you know.
>>
>>71105813
He has a very unique voice, and sounds good.
>>
>>71109166
>>71109080

>there is little left of Bowie's sentimental pathos, replaced by a plain, almost robotic languor.
>The album's emotional centerpiece, Heroes, adopts both the martial beat and the solemn desolation of the Velvet Underground, and then sends it into orbit via Eno's electronic spleen and Bowie's pathetic shout.
>Bowie fared a lot better with no rhythms and no vocals. Heroes was, de facto, an appendix to Eno's Before And After Science.
>Bowie died of cancer in january 2016.
God damn.
>>
His streak of albums from Space Oddity onwards up until Scary Monsters is arguably the greatest in rock history, perhaps even above Rubber Soul up to Abbey Road.

I agree that you should start on Hunky Dory and Ziggy, and maybe then move chronologically if you enjoy it. His best album is Station To Station. The title track on that album will instantly make you think he was a genius, guaranteed.
>>
Everything between the first album and Young Americans is GOAT. everything else sucks after that IMHO. (Except for Ziggy Stardust The Motion Picture soundtrack)

Also any early David Bowie compilations featuring his material from 1964 when he was still going by David Jones up to 1967 prior to his first album when he was writing comedy songs like The laughing Gnome et al are also good.
>>
>>71112547
You don't like STS, Low, Heroes, Lodger and Scary Monsters? How can you like Young Americans but not STS? What do you dislike about Low and Heroes? I've never heard anyone have an opinion like that, explain yourself
>>
>>71112547
>everything else sucks after that IMHO
>Also any early David Bowie compilations featuring his material from 1964 when he was still going by David Jones up to 1967 prior to his first album when he was writing comedy songs like The laughing Gnome et al are also good
what on earth are these opinions
>>
>>71105737
man, hearing bowie cover the great syd's see emily play
>>
>Ziggy
>STS
>Low
>Hunky
>Heroes
>Aladdin
>Blackstar
>Scary
>Young
>Diamond
>The Next Day

fuck....can't name any artist with this amount of epic albums (except for you know who)
>>
>>71112912

hipsters are always breaking new ground anon
>>
>>71115436
who
>>
>>71115475
You tell me
>>
>>71115486
Geebo "Gangleader" Grobman
>>
>>71115510
Bingo!

How the hell did you...?
>>
>>71115536
I am him
You am him
We all him if you think about it
>>
>>71108967
I'd say Black Tie is still worth listening just for great pop songs like Jump They Say, Miracle Goodnight and his awesome cover of Nite Flights
>>
>>71105507
didn't know wht time it was and lights were lo-ow
I leande back on my radio-ow
Some cat was layign down some rock and roll
lemme say he said *unitelligible*
Then the loud sound it seemed to fa-ade
Came back like a school boy in a wave of fri-ight
That was no DJ that was *somethign something*
Duh dun duh dun duh dun dun
THERE'S A STARMAN WAITING IN THE SKY HE'D LIKE TO COME AND MEET US BUT HE THINKS HE'S BLOW OUR MIND

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKGj6XEnwYA&ab_channel=DavidBowie-Topic
>>
>>71115688
*duno what this one says*
*crazy cosmic jazz*
>>
>>71105507
All of hunky dory is a good album pls listen maybe his best, but I'd say heroes and low might be a bit better
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj414ZrPY2U

And here's a god-tier live performance.
>>
>>71105757
well he didn't actually write the album so that's still not false
>>
Anyone have Hunky Dory? links
>>
File: 1463811379473.png (4MB, 1300x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1463811379473.png
4MB, 1300x1300px
>>71116052
>David Bowie - Hunky Dory (Rykodisc Version) [320]
>Glam Rock, Pop Rock, Art Rock

Sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixLm9eSYldE

Link: https://mega.nz/#F!GgFkGIDC!97TGPab84t7MrtRP4696nQ
>>
>>71105507
Well for one, OP, The Velvets were before Bowie's true musical reign began but my favorites are Heroes, Ziggy Stardust, Station to Station, Low, Blackstar, Hunky Dory, Diamonds Dogs, Scary Monsters, The Next Day, and Lets Dance.
>>
OP you will soon realise Low and Station to Station are the true patrician albums
>>
>>71115926
That's Bowie's best preformance IMO
>>
>>71105507
ive never enjoyed an entire album by him.
>>
>>71105507
since everyone is putting albums, I guess I'll put a couple songs

Black Out and Sound and Vision are consistently stuck in my head
>>
Listen to Blackstar. Crazy instrumentals, amazing vocal delivery, as well as great lyricism.
>>
>>71105507
My personal top five Bowie albums are
Heroes
Ziggy Stardust
Station to Station
Let's Dance (criminally underrated)

Honorable mention goes to Low or Young Americans
>>
>>71117250
fuck i forgot blackstar lmao
>>
>>71105813

>read scruffi
>plebs actually believe this
>>
>>71115567
Jump They Say is great
>>
>>71105813
did scaruffi write this?
what a fucking retard
>>
>>71105781
Earthling is tight
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.