[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tips for sight reading?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: Prelude-1-BWV-846.gif (32KB, 737x1043px) Image search: [Google]
Prelude-1-BWV-846.gif
32KB, 737x1043px
A few years ago I was a barely competent sight reader. I knew a little introductory jazz theory, so I'm not allergic to elbow grease. But I wanted to know if there are any approaches to being able to read beside just putting the hours in?
>>
>>71104073
Putting the time in is the main thing. What instrument do you play, piano?
>>
>>71104233
No, I play guitar (normie status).

I want to learn piano eventually; it's required for most articulate musicians
>>
>>71104073
1. DON'T LOOK AT YOUR HANDS. With harder music you will have to look occasionally of course, but make it as little as possible.

2. Start with easy music. Aim for music that is a challenge to sight-read perfectly the first time, but by your 3rd or 4th time playing through it you can do it near perfectly. You should be able to get the music about 70-80% on your first try. You're basically wasting your time if you try to practice sight-reading with music that is too difficult.

3. GO SLOWLY. Start at a tempo that feels like it will be too slow. Try to keep playing all the way to the end even if you make mistakes. Don't go back and fix them. If a metronome helps, use a metronome.

4. Look ahead. Your eyes should always be 1 or two measures ahead. See the intervals and chord shapes. Use the theory to your advantage.

5. Practice. There are really no shortcuts, sight reading piano music is really difficult and will only come with a lot of practice.

t. piano teacher
>>
>>71104384
oh well this post >>71104393 was in reference to piano sight-reading, since you started the thread with a Bach keyboard piece

I suppose a lot of those same principles apply to guitar
>>
>>71104393
>>71104420
yeah I just like Bach. I need to learn piano eventually so this was helpful thanks
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.