[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Micro Cadenza

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: microcadenza.jpg (2MB, 1916x1081px) Image search: [Google]
microcadenza.jpg
2MB, 1916x1081px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz9iyKwrFe8

This piece consists of two parallel 2 parallel equal temperaments
(A440Hz and its -50cents one) .
So in a sense it's 24 equal temperament but of 2 different parallel 12 ET. See how micro(chordal) cadences and chord progressions go with these differently tuned temperaments.
>>
Wouldn't two 12EDO scales separated by 50 cents be exactly the same thing as 24EDO, since 12EDO tunings have semitones separated by 100 cents?
>>
>>71085901
yes same thing as 24EDO but the concept and how to play and compose is different
>>
>>71086331
I'm at work, so I can't listen. Is one just doubling the other?
>>
>>71086414
not always doubling. I hope you can listen to it soon. just google "H. Wakabayashi micro cadenza" when you finished work and find this again
>>
check these videos too
MicroChordal Progression / major 7th
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9kgZUw43WQ

MicroChordal Dominant 13th
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ihoaGEAqwE
>>
Very beautiful use of microtones. I really hope this stuff gets off the ground in earnest before I die, it's so fascinating but so few people bother to explore it.
>>
>>71086956
thanks. I hope this idea will spread the world!
>>
Charles Ives Three Quarter-Tone Pieces
https://youtu.be/BhF0-hN4I8k
>>
i don't know guys, at the university level all of this stuff is kid's stuff and it's been done since at least the 50s

i don't think it'll ever go beyond academia and small niche of casual music listeners that happen to bump into ben johnston's work or something along the lines of that
>>
>>71087675
why won't it be common for poplar musicians?
I can understand it didn't because of instruments problems but today it's much easier with electronics.
>>
>>71087723
yeah, with electronics the exploration was also already going when universities began ordering modular synths in the 60s. i feel like with computers it definitely managed to get a little more mainstream, you know with all of those glitch artists from the 90s, even ryuichi sakamoto has been involved in that stuff since the late 90s, but that's probably as big as it gets since i think that already peaked as well.
>>
>>71087800
modular synths in the 60s and PCM synth from 90s sounded too far from real instruments so I think this is the best age for microtonalism to try and see how it actually sounds with more real giga sample sounds. things will change gradually.
>>
>>71087865
well, iirc from what i've read and seen, in the 50s and 60s there was this notion that synthesizers were going to replace acoustic instruments, that synthesizers could replicate any sound imaginable. some people still think that way today. i don't think the sampling technology of today will make that much of change. i think all of this will always be a niche thing. i mean i sort of know about this stuff and dig some of it because i went to uni for music but none of my non music major friends can go beyond the usual pop/rock/rap stuff. i have friends who are comp students that make music out of analyzing the properties of like physical materials and others creating their own types of stringed instruments with all kinds of whacky tunings, etc. i think it can grow but it will never compete or share a stage with popular music.
>>
>>71087991
I see. Hmmm but maybe then YouTube age will change that. I'm quite optimistic because many non academic musicians seem having interests on microtonality. Let's see how it goes.
>>
>>71087991
And until 90's even internet didn't exist.thats partly why microtonal music was niche but its open and free. Microtonal music is for future anyway
>>
>>71088163
i'm definitely optimistic as well, but i've been on youtube since 2005, i still have my original account from then as well. there's already plenty of this kind of music on youtube, and overall on the internet. that's definitely an avenue for this kind of music to grow but again, i don't expect it to reach huge levels.

>>71088232
i agree to a certain extent, that's why the whole glitch computer electronics thing took off as well, the internet helped foster all of that, i think that in particularly peaked. the internet in general isn't what it used to be, web design imho is terrible nowadays, commercial websites are more ads than content (even with ad blockers, you just get empty space or some websites even block you from seeing the page). it's pretty ridiculous how TV the internet is now, and it was inevitable, but i miss how things were 10 years ago.
>>
>>71088282
Ah I know what you mean. I miss the things 10 years ago too.
>>
>>71088282
it doesn't have to be huge but I wish it become more common and popular like jazz theory
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.