[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Avant-garde

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_4442.jpg (99KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4442.jpg
99KB, 600x600px
greatest album of the past 20 years. A Great steping stone in post hip-hop.
>>
Hopefully
>>
>avant-garde
>greatest in 20 years
>Post hip hop
>Meme Grips

Forgot its school half term in the UK
>>
The pitchfork review was the most insulting thing I've read. Fuck Larry Fitzmaurice.
>>
File: IMG_4443.jpg (884KB, 1400x1400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4443.jpg
884KB, 1400x1400px
danny brown is another great steping stone in this genre as well OP
>>
>>71068704
no critics really liked it and thats the one thing that really blows my mind about the album is how criptic it was.
>>
>>71068692
as crazy as it sounds but i think young thug is another contributor to post-hip-hop
>>
File: IMG_4444.jpg (261KB, 956x634px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4444.jpg
261KB, 956x634px
HO99O9
is the metal/punk side of hip/hip imo
>>
>>71068704
Funny how he criticized it for being too much of the same thing.

NOTM still remains the most unique and forward pushing album in their discography and that will probably never change.
>>
>>71068683
>avant garde

No, it's just some average glitch and IDM music that reuses samples and has legitimately bad songs on it.

This along with Government Plates are DG's two worst albums.
>>
File: no, love.jpg (163KB, 679x679px) Image search: [Google]
no, love.jpg
163KB, 679x679px
>>71069371
They feature some of their most interesting production tricks and use of sampling, and NOTM easily has some of their most impressive song structures to date.

I could agree that GP is a rather rocky and inconsistent album, but the height it reaches in places it does properly execute on its ideas is amazing. Bottomless Pit may be incredibly consistent at a quality level of 70%, whereas GP is rocky but reaches some of their highest highs. NOTM manages to be both consistent and amazing at the same time.

Not sure what exactly is average about tracks like Anne Bonny, Two Heavens, Birds, Pillbox, Billy Not Really, Voila, Up My Sleeves, but feel free to send some average glitch IDM to prove me wrong.
>>
File: 01_freakout.jpg (244KB, 953x953px) Image search: [Google]
01_freakout.jpg
244KB, 953x953px
>>71068703
absolute kek

my choice is vanilla avant garde
>>
>>71069492
I agree that GP had some high highs, but was mostly inconsistent.

NOTM reuses samples, and was all produced by Zach Hill using an electronic drum kit (with each sample assigned to a pad/drum), and it shows. While he can make some interesting compositions at times, a lot of it is just spastic and directionless and some of it straight up bad, along with Ride's flow struggling to keep up at some parts.

Death Grips is known for being abrasive, loud and ugly, not twitchy and sometimes annoying like they are on this album. Additionally, there's a reason why this is their least played album live.
>>
>>71069492
>>71069371
Government Plates wasn't a real album, thats why its not as good.
TMS and NLDW were secretly a double concept album and The Powers that B was another, less secret one.
Government Plates was basically death grips giving us something while we waited on them to come up with their next move, kind of like Fashion Week was a holdover to Jenny Death and Interview 2016 was a holdover to Bottomless Pit.
>>
File: Y.jpg (73KB, 600x594px) Image search: [Google]
Y.jpg
73KB, 600x594px
>>71069556
>vanilla avant garde
Not avant garde enough for vanilla avant garde. Thats more beige

This is vanilla avant
>>
>>71069492
Also, sudden tempo changes =/= innovative song structure kek.
>>
>>71069556
a better zappa choice for vanilla avant garde would be Absolutely Free or Uncle Meat
>>
>>71069906
>and it shows.

Did you think it was supposed to be a secret?
>>
>>71068707
>post-hiphop
>just hiphop with postpunk aesthetics
yeah danny's great but fuck off you meme loving fuck
>>
>>71068683
I hate this meme. You're all psueds
>>
>>71068683
>>
this is the greatest album of all time
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.