[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

rockism or poptism?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: hampus.jpg (52KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
hampus.jpg
52KB, 500x376px
>>71050229
>>71050551
That's not a counter thesis, Scaruffi loves high-art and culture so much he unconsciously has a rockist lens whenever he appreciates electronic music (in the same way, he has a jazz bias when he judges rock; a classical bias when he judges jazz).

Genres like progressive electronic/ambient, IDM, critically-acclaimed techno/breaks in general.. these are merely electronic pursued with rock (via jazz via classical) values.

The terms rockism and poptimism are essentially a contemporary interpretation of what academics call art-music and traditional-music, respectively.

This is their history:
>poptimism is primeval, since traditional-music is one of the earliest forms of communication; "all music is equal" because the listeners themselves are relatively equal in primitive societies
>art-music appears in aristocratic/hierarchical societies; "unequal" since some listeners can afford to listen to more music with better instruments, composers and performers
>basically, folk v.s. classical
>blues v.s. jazz
>rhythm and blues v.s. rock
>EDM v.s. indie/alternative/IDM
>Hampus/Biotrll v.s. CLT
>Turny v.s. that IDM girl
>/daily/ v.s. /classical/

The former are basically for those who find themselves at the bottom of the cultural hierarchy, they are simultaneously listening to what is a sterilised version of the last groundbreaking genre (as say RnB was to jazz, or EDM/disco to [kraut]rock) while missing out on whatever the current new thing is.
>>
So, if I got this straight...

Rockism:
>Judging music based on arbitrary made up standards that have never been supported by anyone other than a few vague implications made up by a couple of journalists and autistic "music" fans

Poptimism:
>Giving all music a fair chance and judging it based on its musical merit regardless of how it's marketed, it's target demographic, or how it was produced

Can someone please explain to me why poptimism is considered a bad thing again? Or why it's even considered an antonym to rockism? Is it just misogyny? Or is it racism? Or is it both?
>>
How about neither?
>>
File: 1438641320508.gif (960KB, 316x237px) Image search: [Google]
1438641320508.gif
960KB, 316x237px
tl;dr

I listen to what sounds good to me.
>>
Fuck rockists and poptimists

Junglists are the best
>>
>>71055712
>>71055733
This is just wrong. Pop has nothing to do with genre, anything can be pop. Rock music can be, and often is, pop. Hell, classical music can be pop.
>>
>>71055754
Yeah that's the tl;dr, except the whole point of the distinction is that "what sounds good to me" is different for each group.

>>71055733
The "arbitrary made up standards" are merely the elements in music that more privileged groups of listeners value over the undiscerning "universal music merit" preferred by the primeval listeners.
>>
>>71055712
What is your endgame?

What the fuck is the point in all this inane bollocks?
>>
>>71056214
Well I wanted to post in that thread I linked, but it was dead before I finished reading it.

So I replied to the most interesting post as a fresh thread. That's all.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.