[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do you think Karajan is a bad conductor?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: Karajan.jpg (117KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
Karajan.jpg
117KB, 900x675px
What's the deal with Karajan's hate recently?
Is it cool to shit on him? What do you have against a talented conductor?
>>
>>71053532
people who dont know shit about classical music talk shit about the only classical music conductor they know
>>
They shit talk him because he apparently takes a one-size-fits-all approach to conducting (that approach being, get the piece very polished and precise, wow what an asshole).

But I mean, all but maybe three conductors ever have had a general style that they apply to all the pieces they conduct. HVK gets shit because he conducted Berliner Philharmoniker for fucking ever and he shows up on like every other Deustche Grammaphon record so people get sick of him.

He's still a very good conductor, and he's the fucking man when it comes to Mahler.
>>
It's his over-polished production and lack of imagination and spontaneity that bothers people. It's a bit ridiculous to say that it's the same with every composer he conducts. His Wagner tends to be very good.
>>
Furtwangler better
>>
>>71054237
Most Mahler fans think that is where he is most shit.

Karajan is great but the way his work was promoted as the second coming it ecliped all other performers. There's so many good options for almost any work in the repertoire these days there is no particular reason to make him the goto for every core work. Yes he gave a very polished, sleek sheen to everything he did and some people prefer a rawer more lively sound. You have to pick and choose your conductors, not just suck the cock of the biggest name.
>>
>>71054982
Obviously, but that doesn't mean Furtwängler created the best records.
>>
>>71055166
How do I pick and choose when pretty much eveyr piece of music has at least 20 different recordings from supposedly great conductors/performers? I can't listen to all of them
>>
>>71055176
of everything*
>>
Carlos Kleiber was the true GOAT
>>
>>71055283
Carlos was the son of GOAT.

>>71055248
You really have to just keep searching until you find a style that suits you. And just because Karajan is best at Strauss perhaps doesn't mean he was good at Schubert particularly.
>>
>>71055248
Read reviews online. Listen to that recording in order to appreciate the work in the first place (often takes quite a while to love). Then explore others, which are probably better than where you started.

Also, if you already have some favourites, read amazon reviews, look up the reviewers profile to see what he likes and says about other recordings. A lot of people on Amazon have listened to every recording of a work and done so their entire lives.
>>
>>71053532
idk i like bernstein better
>>
>>71055166
>Most Mahler fans think that is where he is most shit.

The people who say that only say that cuz he was a fucking nazi. He killed it on the 9th and everyone knows it.
>>
>>71053532
He has my favorite interpretation of Tchaikovsky's 6th and Beethoven's 3rd. In general I think his interpretations are overall great but perhaps not the best for a specific piece. Good choice if you don't know where to start.
>>
File: homu_face.png (48KB, 275x192px) Image search: [Google]
homu_face.png
48KB, 275x192px
>>71055953
>idk i like bernstein better
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.