[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /mu/. There's an artist I work with frequently who recently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: retarded pepe.png (7KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
retarded pepe.png
7KB, 224x225px
Hey /mu/. There's an artist I work with frequently who recently got contacted by a "A&R firm" to release an EP. We both have little to no experience with the business side of music so we're treading very carefully.

From the research I've done into the company I can tell that it's legit and has pushed some "notably" independent artists who are now signed to major labels. He said that he can get his music on blogs, radio, articles from the US, AUS, NZ & the UK.

The problem is that the company wants 800$ up front fee. And a further 1000$ to be paid off.

Again, we have little knowledge of the business side. Is it bullshit? Should we just wait and release music independently?

Thanks, /mu/.
>>
up front, payment is a sketchy business practise see if you can get in contact with any of the artists they claim to have worked with because signing in an indie label then moving usually means the indie label was shit just be careful anon much love
>>
>>71048373
>paying to be promoted
S C A M
>>
>>71048430
>>71048439

thanks man. We really have no idea what we're doing. I always thought that a label would give you money to create a project while they promote you and you'd pay it off from album sales, touring, march etc.

I don't think they're "signing" him per say. From what I've read in the back and forth emails they want to release an EP.
>>
>>71048373
>The problem is that the company wants 800$ up front fee. And a further 1000$ to be paid off.

Complete horseshit. Contract negotiations should all be in your best interests.
>>
>>71048532
>Contract negotiations should all be in your best interests

How do we go about doing this? And what would you recommend?
>>
>>71048551
Honestly? Getting a manager.

They don't even need to be versed in the music industry, could be your dad for all it matters. Just someone to officially represent an artist, stop any nonsense and get the best agreement.
>>
>>71048632

Do I need to get a lawyer or something? How do I know they're not adding some dodgy shit into the contract?
>>
As an producer who has already signed to skechty labels, and knowing personally people that are signed from big labels (DM7 as an example) as a mistake i say don't go for it.

The label just want one thing, Money, and i'm not saying this in the "FUCK CAPITALISM" kinda of way, they want to get money.

So by asking you for a fee upfront, they are not confident they will receive anything from your sales alone.
>>
>>71048836
Correction, DM7 is not a label, but they promote like you said
>>
>>71048836
(cont)

As since paying your fee, they already got their money, they care little if your sales are poor, they'll just shrug and say "PEOPLE DIDNT LIKE IT BRO, LETS SEE YOUR NEXT EP AND THAT WILL BE ANOTHER 800"

They are offering a service to you, and you must pay for the RESULT and not the ATTEMPT.

Good managers/promoters/labels try to work with you, your personal and band marketing, find your public and lay down the plans to you BEFORE anything is paid, and then they get their cut of your success.

To a manager, you are an investiment, not a regular client.
>>
>>71048836
>>71048913

Thanks a lot man. We're very skeptical of the whole situation and we're not rushing into anything. Would it be worth it just for the single EP launch? They said they could get his stuff played on large independent radio stations but I know that doesn't mean that they'll play it a lot.

Basically, should we use it as a spark for contacts and labels?
>>
>>71049477

Contracts and labels come from your popularity as an business not by the quality of your sound.

You can get the very same track that was previously reject signed later because of the popularity.

Your best bet to get attention is a white label on spotify and put it into related playlists.
>>
>>71049791
>white label

What's this? Like a business that uploads your music to spotify? how is it helpful? Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.
>>
>>71049848
It's helpfull because it's free and you get all the money from streaming with no middle man.

The is no fee, It's just your music in the sea of other aspiring sounds there is to hear on spotify..

If, by any chance, you start to stick out and get that so much deserved attention, then you will get labels that will want to release for you for a cut of that streaming money.

Situation would be a win - win because you get more listeners because of the trust the label has, and the label get a hot new artist for people to check out.

If there is any label that provides nothing to you, you'll lose the right to distribute the sound AND pay them for a half-assed work
>>
Im not an expert on most things but, if you have to pay to be promoted, chances are, you are not very good, yes it does look like a fucking scam
>>
>The problem is that the company wants 800$ up front fee. And a further 1000$ to be paid off.

ABORT ABORT
>>
>>71050135

alright cool. thanks heaps man
>>
>>71048373
>the company wants 800$ up front fee. And a further 1000$ to be paid off.

you're literally getting scammed
>>
>>71048373
you are being had
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.