[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

At what point do you give up on being a musician?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: 6037578578_8411c25a9f_z.jpg (141KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
6037578578_8411c25a9f_z.jpg
141KB, 640x480px
When is the point when you should give up all hope of having music be your career and just go on with the normie life?
>>
When breath leaves your body for the last time
>>
Somewhat relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSgOb1FvPAQ
>>
Never, but you will need to deprioritize it at a certain point. Make it a spare time thing, but don't stop if you like doing it.
>>
>>71031359
this
>>
>>71031296
The mistake you made was going in with career expectations and not just playing music for its own enjoyment. I know that sounds gay, but it's true.
>>
>>71031604
this is true
>>
>>71031296
>music be your career
this has never been a good career choice

if you are a musician/producer, you are probably creative in other ways as well. Maybe focus on a different skill set that's more lucrative.
what other things do you like to do?
>>
>>71031604
This, there's a ton of musicians who are famous. The thing is that there's way more musicians who arent.
>>
> At what point do you give up on being a musician?
Never.

>When is the point when you should give up all hope of having music be your career and just go on with the normie life?
Unless you're insanely talented (I mean like virtuoso level), you should never try to make music your main career. If you care about living comfortably, that is... There's too much luck involved in "making it" in the music industry that it's not really a viable career opption.
>>
>>71031869
>There's too much luck involved in "making it" in the music industry that it's not really a viable career opption

Well you can always go the session route if you have the dedication to hone your skills to a high enough standard. Who knows, with enough networking you could end up a supporting tour musician for big name artists.
>>
Probably from the very beginning.

I went to college for music, surrounded myself with people that decided early on that they were going to make a career out of it. As soon as I graduated with my music degree I went out and looked for a regular job. Immediately right out of the gate I am earning much more income than my friends who became professional opera singers or school music teachers. My best friend from college plays in two professional orchestras for his city and has to teach kids on the side just to barely make the same $45,000 a year as I do with factory work. And Its not like I ever stopped playing. I earned enough in the first year to buy a grand piano. I still play every single day, I never once felt bad for not perusing it as a career. I'ts not like that ship has sailed forever.

Granted being able to play music for money would probably be more rewarding, I think it would also be more stressful. I still have a grandiose vision of myself as a professional piano tuner in 30 years

As another anon pointed out, a lot of famous musicians out there, but A LOT more that aren't famous. I'd wage a guess that the best most practiced musicians aren't even famous, they're working their fingers off trying to make in famous professional orchestras and operas and barely get enough income to pay rent
>>
File: 1484900145193.jpg (200KB, 563x600px) Image search: [Google]
1484900145193.jpg
200KB, 563x600px
eventually you realize that basically the people who make it are good looking and sociable people with networking skills, people that other people wanna be around

mfw nobody cares how good i can play
>>
>>71033001
what do you do in the factory

and why did you go to school for music if you weren't going to pursue it?
>>
>>71031296

The thing is what to you is a breaking point, it may not be to another anon.

[Insert sad/gay piano instrumental on the background]

I got into music because I wanted to be the "best piano player". I still play to this day because playing the piano helps me get stuff out of my system, I can express myself, I make a tune every six months, it keeps me motivated to learn to do new things.

I don't plan making a career out of music but I'll die alone before leaving music behind. It's just part of my routine. That, to me, is a success!
>>
>>71032014
You have to be virtuoso level to be a session guy. Studios and engineers are paid by the hour, so every take you fuck up is costing money from somebody's pocket.
>>
>>71031296
If you can just give up you've never had what it takes to be a musician in the first place
>>
>>71031296
When I sat in a basic harmony class of about 200 students. The instructor played an advertising jingle, "You can take Salem out of the country, but...", and asked what mode it is in, what key and what note did he start on. Four or six hands shot up right away.

I learned right away the difference between being talented and being prepared.
>>
>>71034055
Sure you have to be extremely competent, but that's where the hard work and years of practice comes in. You don't need a god given gift or anything like that, just dedication.

There's also other kinds of session work like theatre or cruise ships where the expected standard isn't as high. Not the lifestyle for everyone but you'd at least be earning a living as a musician.
>>
>>71034311
damn...
>>
ASAP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNMvZyDMdZs
>>
>making music to become known
>not just doing it because you like it

there's your problem
>>
>>71033361
roast coffee

I guess i wasn't really a foreward thinker, I just wanted to get gud.
and I did, I think it really worked out. I could have applied myself more and gotten gooder but I think I learned some serious shit about playing piano and other music stuff that I never would have learned just doing music as a hobby after the daily grind.
>>
For me it was when I realized:
A.) I sucked and was not getting better even after decades of tireless practicing and writing.
B.) I ran out of ideas/creative desires.
C.) I realized everything I wanted to do had been done before down to a tee.
D.) I realized there's no way in hell I'd ever be comfortable performing on a stage, let alone in front of people who are watching me.
E.) When I realized my chances of being a successful musician, even if I were good, were ridiculously minuscule anyway.
>>
>>71031296
when you're 20+ and still don't have top 40 hit
>>
>God tier: Studies music academically and tries to push the artistic medium
>Top tier: Works hard to create music for their own personal interest
>Low tier: Makes original works for fame and money
>Cuck tier: Plays other people's music purely for money
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.