[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Slint - Spiderland

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8

File: tg364-1_cover_600x600_grande.jpg (51KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
tg364-1_cover_600x600_grande.jpg
51KB, 600x600px
What am I in for /mu/?
>>
>>70992353
One of the best records of all time.
>>
>>70992353
I still don't get it.
>>
>>70992353
One of the most overrated records of all time.
>>
File: never recovered.jpg (118KB, 833x480px) Image search: [Google]
never recovered.jpg
118KB, 833x480px
>>70992353
a fantastic album.

You might wanna listen to it more than just one time though, very few people seem to come away terribly impressed after the first listen, but then when you get it, you're asking yourself how a single second of this record went over your head the first time.

Personally what hooked me was "Washer" and after listening to that a few times, revisiting the other songs, like a lightbulb going off in my head, everything making sense and sounding amazing.
>>
>>70992353
If you're a pleb, a snoozefest.

If you're a cool guy, then a pretty decent and interesting album.
>>
Get the lyrics and read along with it, the production is really, really quiet. I don't know why but it feels like he's whispering the entire thing
>>
>>70992353
maybe you should just listen to it instead of making a thread about it
>>
I've probably listened to this album 15 times this year alone. It's getting to a point where I'm worried I'm gonna ruin it for myself by overplaying it. I'm addicted and I can't stop.
>>
>>70992353

this album makes me feel high

this album gives me nostalgia and this month is the first time in my life Ive listened to it

this album transports me back to a very specific time in my youth at the county fair on a hot summer night and all of the feelings of that time

this is a great album
>>
>>70992776
It's honestly the only album I've never gotten tired of, something about it just never wears out.
>>
I used to be obsessed with this album as a teen, but I got really tired of it because it encapsulates the rough feeling of DUDE ANXIETY AND INSECURITY LMAO

that's a very retarded generalization, but I can't really listen to it nowadays because I burnt out on it. But I'm really glad it exists and I'll probably muster up the patience to listen to it in a decade or so.
>>
>>70992353
Great instrumental work, poor vocal mixing.
>>
Looks like people are giving too much importance to this album's lyrics and 'feel'. It leads me to think it's not a very good album.
>>
>>70993717
>that's a very retarded generalization

You're right, that's pretty retarded, but if that is when you listened to it I can understand why it'd feel that way. Personally listened to this way beyond my teens and while tracks like "Don, Aman" are relatable, those aspects aren't really the main pull for me at all. It's all in the music, and of course the short stories greatly inform the instrumentals, especially on "Breadcrumb Trail", but the fact that they are little short stories, instead of personal anecdotes helps from it feeling like an angsty teen record, it's timeless.
>>
>tfw no qt fortune teller gf
>>
>>70993769
Have you listened to the 2014 remaster? It's pretty subtle but they improved the vocal mixing on it. It's obviously intentional, though, to have them slightly buried in the mix but not so much so that I'd ever call it bad, definitely not on the remaster at least.
>>
>>70993784
It's just good music, anon. It isn't a collection of sob stories for you to feel at, at all.
>>
File: slintplays.jpg (39KB, 483x566px) Image search: [Google]
slintplays.jpg
39KB, 483x566px
>>70992776
It doesn't burn out easily. It always registers for me.

The thing about nostalgia and stuff, I feel it's a big part of it. I turn 25 in a few days and I feel like I refuse to let go of my "kid" phase so this album always feels right for me. Maybe like >>70993717 said I'll eventually grow out it of it but I'm sure I would still appreciate it for many other reasons. For example I feel this is the perfect post-rock album.
>>
>>70993784
>'feel'
If you sincerely think atmosphere in music is bad you're a retard
>>
>>70993982
Just pointing out what I get from the comments.
I like the guitars. Reminds me of Women.
>>
File: Slint-Tweez-1280.jpg (471KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Slint-Tweez-1280.jpg
471KB, 1280x1280px
>>70993994
>Nang Ding

I have a pretty newly discovered love for that track. Tweez was a very slow burn, but I've grown to appreciate it even though I kind of hate the way the guitars on it sound. First half though (First 5 tracks) really aren't bad at all, second half is real sketchy though.
>>
>>70993959
I haven't listened to that one, and yeah I figured it was intentional but it's just a huge pet peeve of mine when artists have songs with lyrics, like the lyrics are there to be understood, and yet you can't really tell what they're saying because the vocals don't cut enough through the rest of the sound.
>>
>>70994115
>the lyrics are there to be understood
Not necessarily
>>
>>70994115
It perfectly fits the music though, free-flowing and reserved
>>
>>70994102
I've ritualized listening to Tweez. I love it now. Carol isn't the highlight for me anymore. I only feel the last song to be a questionable addition and ending to the album.

It's not very developed so most people ignore it after a few listens but it's really a great experimental album.
>>
>>70993994
Where's Glenn and Rhoda at, don't tell me you never listened to the EP.
>>
it's like the trilogy from Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation but for 40 minutes
>>
>>70994136
>>70994175
Yeah sorry that's not exactly what I meant. I mean that they use actual words to form actual coherent thoughts/sentences rather than having someone just wail or something.
>>
File: untitled.jpg (3KB, 370x56px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.jpg
3KB, 370x56px
>>70994222
I remember liking Glenn
>>
>>70994243
It wouldn't have the same result. The sound spoken word makes is an instrument on itself
>>
>>70994269
Listen to it again. Rhoda on that EP is pretty fucking good as well actually. I think that project is fantastic and even better when you find out it was recorded shortly after Tweez, you can hear traces of Spiderland on Glenn, it was originally going to be on Spiderland actually, and they even recorded it along with another track, during the session when they were making Spiderland but in the end decided against including them for a tighter record.

Pam and Glenn. You can listen to those two on CD2 of the Spiderland remaster. That version of Glenn is different from the EP version, moves much slower.
>>
File: Untitled-12345628.jpg (161KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-12345628.jpg
161KB, 1920x1080px
Does a scan of this exist anywhere online? I've been trying to find one but no luck so far. I really want it.
>>
>>70993994
I definitely see what you mean. I'm 21, and I admit that the way the album captures feelings like anxiety and insecurity strikes a chord with me and is a big part of why I like it so much. I do enjoy everything else about it as well, though. Maybe someday I'll stop being such a social retard and it's impact on me will diminish, who knows.
>>
>>70993769
Unironically kill yourself.
>>
This is one of the better written 33 1/3s by far.
>>
>>70995372
but not so much as to save up and buy it, right?
>>
>>70996591
That thing is like 300 dollars, and only a limited number of them were made.

So... it is too much. If there was a digital PDF I could buy, I would have.
>>
>>70992353
genuinely atmospheric album with one 5/10 song that kind of ruins the experience for me but overall it's good and the last track is amazing
>>
>>70996676
I'm gonna assume you're talking about "For Dinner..." that track is slow and doesn't really go anywhere but it has it's purpose, the transition from Washer to Good Morning, Captain would be really bad without it. Song is subtle and sweet, in my opinion. I didn't really see much value in it beyond acting as a buffer, but now I genuinely like it.
>>
>>70996676
>with one 5/10 song
Nope.
>>
>>70996643
Then nobody is gonna rip up their copy to scan it for some random fags on the internet are they
>>
>>70995710
It's my favourite album and I've never had social anxiety or clinical depression
>>
All time favorite album
>>
>>70996216
It's true though.
>>
>>70998091
It's not, and your opinion is so bad that you should consider removing yourself from the gene pool.
>>
>>70998218
Why am I wrong?
>>
>>70998255
So do you hate the track simply because it is boring? I'm not that anon, but try and appreciate it FOR being slow moving and subtle.
>>
>>70998328
What? No. I don't think we're talking about the same thing.
>>
Don't acknowledge the lyrics. Don't be like the retards who dismiss this album for lyrics written in the recording studio.
>>
>>70998711
I love the lyrics!
>>
>>70998711
But the lyrics weren't written in the studio.
>>
Just finished listening for the first time. Wow, I didn't expect to love it as much as I did.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.