[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why Frank Ocean didn't submit for the Grammys 2017

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

I know /mu/ core doesn't get nominated but still I agree with franky here
>>
>>70956356
the entire tumblr post is pretty spot on t b h
>>
File: idontlikeshit.jpg (20KB, 319x319px) Image search: [Google]
idontlikeshit.jpg
20KB, 319x319px
>>70956356
To Pimp A Butterfly is so fucking overrated, not even the best hip hop album of 2015.
>>
>>70956366
It's still a world ahead of Taylor Swift.
>>
>if blacks dont win every award its racism
>>
The Grammys aren't about what's the BEST music of that year, just what's the most popular.

Nobody should take them seriously or assume they're any authority on what the best music was of that year. Jesus Christ they had fucking VIEWS in the nominations.
>>
This is the case for all major award shows. Panels with no taste choose crowdpleasers. Nothing new. Same in the movie industry, hell, in the video game industry too.

But if TPaB opened his eyes to that, that is an honest surprise.
>>
>>70956395
Yeah, that's what this is about.
>>
>>70956366
Earl is bretty gud but he should get a good producer like Paul White.
In fact, i'd kill for a White-produced Earl album.
>>
>>70956366
Sure, but it's probably the best of whatever got a Grammy nom. And are you suggesting that that Earl record was better than TPAB?
>>
desu 1989 is a lot more enjoyable to a lot more people both black and white than kendrick lamar.
>>
>>70956438
Are you suggesting that TPAB is better than Earl's record?

>>70956449
Only if you are a corporate drone.
>>
AOTY has always been about sales
>>
>>70956366
I agree with most of this, but I respect people that really like TPAB. Its just not for me.
>>
>>70956458
>Only if you are a corporate drone.
>muh evil gubment
>muh consumerism
>muh evils
>muh satan
>wahh muh troubles
>muh 2pac

it was such a shitty album compared to gcmc

also
>thinking anyone in mainstream hiphop isnt just a popstar with a different title
>>
>>70956916
you really don't listen to much hip-hop, do you
>>
>>70956916
But it was still better than fucking Taylor Swift.
Also
>unironically defending consumerism
>>
>>70956934
I do. theres plenty of better albums
>>
>>70956955
Not really 1989 was a lot more solid. tpab had a lot of shitty tracks

>>unironically defending consumerism
???
Im just stating all his topics and the album theme in general are so overplayed.
>>
>>70956989
>a generic pop album was better than TPAB
I agree that it's worse than GKMC, but still what the fuck.
>>
Why do people cry about the grammys every year. If youre a real artist you shouldnt give a fuck about getting some award that labels pretty much pay for anyways. The grammys have never honored high art (not implying frank is that). Its so annoying to see millionaire popstars cry over not winning grammys because they arent quite a household name. Appreciate your fans and fuck offf
>>
>>70957033
tpab was not cohesive,especially coming from his best prior.
His rapping was a downgrade that got overshadowed by thunndercats production
>I even being on their
>the entire cringe of mortal man

Hate swift all you want but her team put out a solid and enjoyable album
>>
>>70957103
there
>>
>>70956356
who the fuck cares about the (((Grammys)))?

Why are you all such squares?
>>
>>70956366
>thinks Earl's got an ounce of the amount of versatility in flows that Kendrick does, leaving him less interesting rhythmically
>thinks Earl's got an ounce of the amount of change in delivery that Kendrick does, leaving him less able to portray various emotions
>thinks Earl's got an ounce of the production talent Kendrick had with his more straightforward beats while Kendrick's beats have far more moving parts
>thinks Earl's got an ounce of relevant themes that Kendrick does
Goddammit, we really need people who aren't attentive listeners of music.
>>
>>70957138
>who the fuck cares about the (((Grammys)))?
yup. shills or just dumb fuck hip hop fans?
>>
>>70957150
The only thing Kendrick has is a good production.
His flow isn't superior to Earl's.
Also, I prefer edgy muh social isolation rather than yet another BLM-tier that literally every other recent artist has already done.
>>
frank oceans a bitch ass nigga
>>
>>70957150
Kendrick doesnt do his own production
>>
>>70956366
Kendrick Lamar is trash, but Earl is worse.
>>
>>70957208
>>70957214
>>70957217
>>70957219
no on gives a fuck about fake manufactured mainstream hiphop drama
>>
>>70957208
FUCKING THIS
I hate that kendrick set the trend that weak vapid "political" albums are instantly held to acclaim because "social relevance." None of the albums to come of this have made any unique points from eachother
>>
>>70957208
>The only thing Kendrick has is a good production.
Nope. Variation in flows and far more depth lyrically as well if you care for that.

>His flow isn't superior to Earl's.
It totally is. Earl is less daring MF DOOM, thus being less unique not only because he's trying to copy DOOM, but also because he doesn't have either the balls or the skills to make his rhymes as off kilter as DOOM's.

It's objectively measurable by going through both albums that Kendrick displays a far more technical and versatile set of skills when it comes to flow and the general delivery of vocals.

>Also, I prefer edgy muh social isolation rather than yet another BLM-tier that literally every other recent artist has already done.
If all you got out of TPAB was muh BLM, you missed the vast majority of the point of that record. Not to mention that Kendrick's points through the record always veer towards the black community taking direct responsibility rather than what BLM spews. Sounds like you didn't listen to TPAB and just fell for the joke memes that we spew on here.

>>70957217
I never said he did. Kendrick always knows who to choose, when to use them, and how to use them well though.
>>
>>70957295
You're comparing an album by an already established rapper and his army of producers to a self-produced album by a kiddo who is only relevant because he is Tyler's imouto, and yet he is better than fucking TPAB.
>>
>>70957398
A lot of what I said can also be similarly applied to Kendrick's previous works. While those aren't at the level of TPAB in those designations, they are still above anything Earl has ever done.
>>
>>70956356
White people will eat this shit up.
>>
>dude kendrick is better than earl because he sings about le racial injustice
top zozzle
>>
>>70957208
>I prefer muh social isolation
Then listen to Aesop.
>>
>>70956356
>awards for art
kys
>>
>>70957045
They called him out and he responded in a way that obliterated them, he did nothing wrong unless you think he should've just turned the other cheek.

>>70957103
>tpab was not cohesive,especially coming from his best prior.
I totally get not liking it but what the fuck
>>
>>70956366
my man
>>
>>70957103
>tpab was not cohesive
have you even listened to 1989?
it's even less cohesive, the most popular track doesn't even have anything in common with the rest of the album
>>
protesting the grammys because of "dude black people did not get enough awards" will probably get you more media coverage than actually performing at the grammys.
>>
>>70957150
Don't break your fucking neck on that fedora frontflip, wtf
>>
>>70956465
Beck sure as hell didn't sell as much as Beyoncé
>>
>>70960181

but beck is a white male
>>
I wish i were a famous white musician, i would tweet out " have you considered that your music sucks frank".

Then pleasantly wait for the mass screeching
>>
>Jews give other Jews awards
>Nigger blames whitey
>Jewish media agrees with nigger, runs "fuck white people" articles
>>
>>70956356

>Unironically liking To Pimp A Butterfly
>>
>>70960345
There are still some unironic nu males remaining on this board
>>
File: pic_0004054.jpg (668KB, 1157x1182px) Image search: [Google]
pic_0004054.jpg
668KB, 1157x1182px
>>70956380
not if you consider the established Grammy focus on accessible, commercially successful work.

Honestly, the biggest Grammy factor that people don't seem to think about is how many music industry people you involve in your work. Taylor is always going to have big budget, massively hyped stuff and critics agree that her stuff is fine for the genre.
>>
>>70956356
Fuck the (((grammys))) and all their friends.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.