[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the most depressing song on this album and why?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 8

File: joydivisioncloser.jpg (6KB, 224x224px) Image search: [Google]
joydivisioncloser.jpg
6KB, 224x224px
What's the most depressing song on this album and why?
>>
Decades.
>>
File: IanCurtis4.jpg (89KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
IanCurtis4.jpg
89KB, 900x600px
The whole thing is ridiculously sad. It's kind of surprising the other Joy Division guys didn't seriously consider how fucked up Ian was until it was too late.

I personally feel that Twenty Four Hours is the most visceral song. His delivery on 'Just for one moment, thought I'd found my way /
Destiny unfolded, I watched it slip away' and 'Just for one moment, I heard somebody call /
Looked beyond the day in hand, there's nothing there at all' makes him seem so desperate, in despair, and almost angry. And of course the last part with 'Got to find my destiny, before it gets too late' is pretty sad considering it was too late for him and he killed himself.

Isolation is also pretty sad where he flat out says 'I'm ashamed of the person I am'. The whole album is a masterpiece, those are just the lines that stick to me the most.
>>
I honestly never found Joy Divison all that depressing, it's too melodramatic to relate to. Every Joy Division song seems to be about someone who's permanently living in a tragic play, like I read the lyrics and I go like "come on dude, your life can't be this bad". I do feel for Ian when I listen to JD, but it's the kind where you brood over it for a bit then move on. Not the kind that hits you in the gut and makes you question your own life.
>>
>>70955656
>Not the kind that hits you in the gut and makes you question your own life.
who's being melodramatic now? the whole appeal is in its realness and the fact that it's not like out of a storybook nor a tale of an unfortunate hero. he didn't want to be seen as that, in fact I feel he's made references to people exploiting what he considers honest expression for their amusement. all over his work are feelings of slight resentment and alienation even from his audience.
>>
>>70955473
Twenty Four Hours and Isolation.
I hear a lot of pure despair in Ian's voice in Passover, too.
>>
>>70955473
Atrocity exhibition takes home the cake. Those ceremonial drums with the classing of sounds from a overdriven guitar and vocals you can barely make out until he starts yelling lounder and louder
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go1P_MH8vJg

the most haunted JD track
>>
Twenty Four Hours is the bleakest track
>>
>could never get into JD despite loving the post-punk genre
>this topic convinces me to listen to UP and Closer again
>still don't like them
>>
that one where he dies, the last one i think
>>
File: g(r)ay bar.gif (203KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
g(r)ay bar.gif
203KB, 500x280px
>>70955656
Just had another seizure around X-mas time and let me tell you, it's not a brood-over-it-and-move-on kind of thing.

Shit sucks, so I can see where that aspect of Ian's lyricism came from. Also, when they were jamming, he'd be the one to pick out the interesting parts (to him) and they just kind of stuck with them and eventually they'd make songs out of the whole stew.
>>
File: Joy to the World.jpg (34KB, 640x626px) Image search: [Google]
Joy to the World.jpg
34KB, 640x626px
>>70958206
don't know if was intended or not but I just saw that as UP (and in R.E.M.'s "UP" or the movie "UP" ...like get happy and elevate yourself..."

>pic related
>>
The last Nirvana album

Because Kobain kills himself
>>
File: And then?.jpg (21KB, 308x425px) Image search: [Google]
And then?.jpg
21KB, 308x425px
>>70959290

OK, faggot, it's at 6:04:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nirvana/comments/55o2yb/kurt_cobain_about_joy_division_and_his_lyrics/

>first time I've ever been to that site... it's kind of confusing to an old fart like me.
>>
File: hisss.jpg (174KB, 640x512px) Image search: [Google]
hisss.jpg
174KB, 640x512px
>>70955473
I remember making a mix-tape for my friend's girlfriend and I put "Heart & Soul" as the first track to the B-side (real tape not this shit that these days DJs are called "MIX TAPES") and she got so freaked out by it driving home that she had to turn it off. Made me laugh because "Passover" or "Decades" would have been far more depressing. I guess the "atmosphere" of the sound got to her...
>>
>>70959392
That was really interesting, thanks. He seems more candid in this about his writing style then in the few others I have heard.
>>
ive never managed to into JD properly, theyre the kind of band ill listen to and enjoy, then just not revisit for ages

which album should i marathon first to into them properly?
>>
Everything they recorded is great. I'd recommend the Substance compilation which collects their singles. It gives a nice career overview.
>>
File: IanCurtis3.jpg (623KB, 1280x1704px) Image search: [Google]
IanCurtis3.jpg
623KB, 1280x1704px
>>70960028
>>70960071
Meant for
>>
File: IanCurtis4.gif (944KB, 500x299px) Image search: [Google]
IanCurtis4.gif
944KB, 500x299px
bump
>>
What about the most depressing song on UP?
>>
>>70955530
fpbp
>>
>>70960910
New Dawn Fades or She's lost control
>>70956058
Agreed is so explicit
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.