[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on cassettes, /mu/. Kind of want to start collecting.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 150
Thread images: 14

File: cassettes.jpg (1MB, 2000x1334px) Image search: [Google]
cassettes.jpg
1MB, 2000x1334px
Redpill me on cassettes, /mu/. Kind of want to start collecting.
>>
only get into it if you like black metal, dungeon synth, and/or noise. Or weird lo-fi anything. Otherwise no
>>
File: pjw.png (715KB, 1164x1224px) Image search: [Google]
pjw.png
715KB, 1164x1224px
settle down little normie
>>
>>70952397
They're an outdated media format. If you like them then start collecting. There's no real reason to do so beyond personal desire. Not much to redpill about.
>>
>>70952423
Was considering it mostly for short print vaporwave stuff
>>
>>70952447
that might qualify as lo-fi but dude in 10 years will you not regret getting into a hobby for a meme?
>>
>>70952542
Idk I don't plan on spending a fortune on this shit. it's probably the cheapest obsolete format to get into, is it not?
>>
>>70952397
you can get good cheap ones for about 50 cents apiece at used bookstores and such, i've only spent like $200 total on cassettes ever and still have a shit ton, and most of them sound great
>>
>>70952397
dude just collect shit from bandcamp
>>
>>70952542
Is this really the kind of decision that would prey on your mind years down the line? It's just buying some cassettes
>>
>>70952397
Do you have a player already? If so, what is it?
>>
File: nakamichi-logo.png (14KB, 1000x186px) Image search: [Google]
nakamichi-logo.png
14KB, 1000x186px
>>
>>70952894
I don't, that's partly what I was hoping to get some advice on. I don't want something big but I also don't plan on listening to these on the go. Are there options I should be leaning towards out there, or is everything pretty equal when it comes to sound quality with casettes?
>>
I have lots of cassettes. They suck, don't buy them.
>>
>>70952934
There's not a lot for new players that I'd recommend.
Best bet is to check out 2nd hard shops. Also insist on testing first, in case of worn out belts. Also try to make sure the player is compatible with multiple tape types, ferric, CrO2, Metal.
Dolby B and C compatibility is also a good idea.
>>
>>70952397
Prerecorded ones usually don't sound too well, but ones recorded with a good deck do. Types I and II are good enough, type IV metal ones are waste of money. If you're going to buy a cassette deck, make sure it has 'closed loop dual capstan'. If you are going to record yourself, 3rd head is very useful to have. Never spend big amount on one cassette because buying them is always a risk. Cassettes cannot be graded visually, and that's the grading that many sellers use. In order for cassettes recorded on other deck to sound the best they can, playback head's azimuth usually needs to be adjusted. You need a small screwdriver and to take off cassette door's decorative part. Most of cassettes, especially crappier ones, leave dirt on the heads so it's agood idea to clean them after each cassette.
>>
>>70952724
I think using CD-Rs would be much cheaper
>>
>>70952397
Only buy cassettes for albums that are only on cassette, or for your favorite albums so you can have a rectangular version of the album.
>>
They sound like shit compared to CD, good cassette players can no longer be bought new, cassettes can warp and stretch and become unplayable with relative ease, and they're mad cheap if you know where to look. I don't like them, but get on them while the getting's good.
>>
>>70952423
>>70952542
Cassettes are completely fine for audio quality, unless you have a shit cassette player. It's about the same for every physical media.
>>
File: 1464514779271.jpg (66KB, 851x623px) Image search: [Google]
1464514779271.jpg
66KB, 851x623px
I guess if you have a walkman or a tape deck then you can get tapes for basically nothing in charity shops/goodwill

looking back I didn't think tapes sound that bad aside from some grain but then I haven't listened to many proper tapes only old homemade ones recorded from LPs using high quality equipment which according to this anon >>70953254
might sound better than commercial ones

but then if you are just meming and want to listen to vapourwave then who fucking cares?
>>
>>70954073
Honestly if you aren't listening to cassettes with Dobly then you're probably going to get a shitton of grain.
>>
File: IMAG0753-e1332490873663.jpg (49KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0753-e1332490873663.jpg
49KB, 600x338px
>>
File: 1454721258097.png (23KB, 557x605px) Image search: [Google]
1454721258097.png
23KB, 557x605px
-cheap as fuck ($5 at shows)
-fun to collect, doesnt take up too much space
-even more fun if you have a casstte player (i just buy them to own a physical version and support the artist)
-most aesthetic form of music
>>
>>70952796
>>70954054
t.people who got into cassettes because of vaporwave
>>
File: A-Classy-Pair-cover.jpg (33KB, 560x560px) Image search: [Google]
A-Classy-Pair-cover.jpg
33KB, 560x560px
>>70954476
Nah, I got into cassettes because my car has a cassette player, an older Lexus with a pretty fine Dolby C player. Honestly my favorite album I found because of Cassette. Pic related.
>>
>>70954403
>cheap
5$ is still more than 0$
>too much space
where the fuck do you live
>more fun if you have a cassette player
oh no shit man
>most aesthetic
vynil is way more aesthetic
>>
>>70954619
>$5 is still more than $0
Psychical releases you fucking clod.

>where the fuck do you live
He's not wrong mate

>oh no shit man
Lets be real here people collect Vinyl without owning a record player

>vynil is way more aesthetic
Opinions!
>>
File: 9mages.jpg (3KB, 83x90px) Image search: [Google]
9mages.jpg
3KB, 83x90px
>>70952397
Do it! Cassettes are awesome. Get a walkman too.

Reject corporate internet culture. Buy physical media directly from artists. Take your culture back.
>>
>>70952397
Are you these millennials who haven't even seen a fucking floppy disk in your life? And now you are so into "retro" that you want to use tapes? Tell you what, you are an idiot.
>>
>>70955341
I'm 40 and I buys cassettes. Records too.

(((Spotify))), (((Tidal))), (((Youtube))) etc. are soulless garbage that pay artists poverty wages and are basically corrupt to the core.
>>
>>70952397
Just pirate lossless audio files like a responsible young person should. I collect vinyl, cassett, and CD because I'm stupid. It's seriously a waste of good money.
>>
>>70954861
>Buy physical media directly from artists.
yup. important now more than ever.
>>
>>70955382
>are soulless garbage that pay artists poverty wages and are basically corrupt to the core.
ok well I'm not running a charity here. I'm not paying unless I have to e.g. bandcamp open thy wallet
>>
>>70955422
>Just pirate
fucking scab

Stealing from artists is despicable, and a big part of the reason soulless globalist culture has been allowed to become so dominant.
>>
>>70955466
>soulless globalist culture has been allowed to become so dominant.

>>>/pol/
>>
>>70955450
Not quite sure that you can buy directly from artists, unless it's FLAC files I guess.
>>
>>70955458
fuck off Schlomo.
>>
I don't miss cassettes.
>>
I remember listening to cassettes when I was younger. My family had a big collection. I'd probably listen to it if they didn't go full digital about 13 years ago.
>>
>>70955496
Sure you can. I buy physical media directly from artists and (real) indie labels all the time.
>>
>>70955555
Got links? Does any modern artist actually put shit on tape aside for collectable purposes?
>>
>>70955539
fuck you, not running a charity is not the same thing as being a jew. I'm not doing a damn thing the artist hasnt agreed to.
>>
>>70955493
What do you think Pitchfork is? What do you think Tidal is? What do you think Coachella is? What do you think Live Nation is?

I cpould go on.
>>
>>70955555
Nice.
>>
>>70955382
>garbage
I agree, it's a shameful way to listen to music. I miss the time of discovery and finding interesting music via grapevine and copying cassettes from other people.

Now you can get everything with a single click. But thing is, music industry was fucked way way before spotify or these digital distributors. It all started with record label companies and when MTV came to existence that paved way for further erosion.
>>
>>70955596
Fuck yeah they do. I literally bought cassettes from Dream Catalogue and Drag City today.
>>
>>70955539
besides I'm clearly endorsing the bandcamp formula which is so good I think there's a good chance it'll end up being the future of music distribution.
>>
>>70955598
Not paying artists for their work that you consume is being a fucking scab.

It's a big part of the reason the the music scene sucks so bad right now.
>>
>>70955604
spare me. I literally work my ass off to discover new releases.
>>
>>70955596
there's house labels that do it for aesthetics such as opal tapes and 1080p
>>
>>70955641
Is english your second language? I am paying for it unless the artist isn't making me. That's their choice not yours.
>>
>>70955641
>the music scene sucks so bad right now.
spotted the pleb
>>
>>70955604
>Now you can get everything with a single click
It's not even pleasurable.

I'd rather have a real relationship with 25 records, than the soulless hum of an infinite catalogue streaming.

That shit marginalizes the impact of music.

Also, it sounds like ass. The walkman I bought for $20 sound wayyyyyyyyyy better than my $700 phone.
>>
>>70955677
>better than my $700 phone.
dumbfuck have you never heard of bluetooth speakers?
>>
>>70955617
Streaming culture onto itself is bad for music. And bandcamp is run by a bunch of silicon valley assholes. They don't give a half of fuck about music.
>>
>>70955685
I live in NYC. I spend a lot of time walking around.
>>
>>70955693
>And bandcamp is run by a bunch of silicon valley assholes. They don't give a half of fuck about music.
so the fuck what? I can't see how you even understand bandcamp to say something like that. Ever heard heard of name your price?
>>
>>70955706
Get some good headphones with a amp then
>>
>>70955712
>so
It's sort of really important.

Bandcamp is run by Silicon Valley profiteers. They don't care about music. They don't care about bands. It's just $ to them.

Back in the 90s we considered shit like that fucking tacky, and it was shunned and looked down upon by people with taste.

Are you an apologist, a shill, or just really short sighted?
>>
>>70955720
Have them. Use the same headphones on a $700 phone and a Sony Sport Walkman for the early 90s.

It's not even close. The Walkman sounds so much warmer.
>>
>>70955783
>Warmer

I hope you realise this doesn't make you sound smart.
>>
>>70955759
you didn't refute jack shit
>>
>>70955802
yeah there's some serious fucking creeps in this thread

or one super creep
>>
Their lifespan is pretty bad, only really worth it to rip them to your computer in case the cassette release has special bonus tracks or the album is exclusive to the format.
>>
>>70955759
Not OP but seriously mate people buying from a marketplace direct from artists isn't a bad thing. This isn't the 90's man we've kinda grown up since then, ideological purity tests are pretty obnoxious.
>>
>>70955712
>Ever heard heard of name your price?
Why the fuck would anyone want to do that? Who wants to chince artists?
>>
>>70955824
I'm really done here. Pretty close to hiding the thread.
>>
>>70955816
As someone who's tired that I don't suggest it's pretty terrible.
>>
>>70955802
don't care enough to get into some long winded digital v. analog debate.

It just sounds fucking better. Not rocket science.

Louder too.....legal departments have def capped volume capacity since the 90s.
>>
>>70955821
>direct from artists
I wish but its close enough. Paypal is actually the one who takes a huge chunk. As I recall bandcamp itself actually takes a surprisingly small percentage. Although I think they may have other fees or something.
>>
>>70955804
corporate shills, please go
>>
>>70954476
Funny enough I've only found Vaporwave on vinyl.
>>
>>70955839

You have to invest in a high end vintage deck (the new ones are all shit) and a high end internal sound card (generally a waste of money given that anyone who really cares for audio gets external components) for them to come out in passable quality.

They're not very good unless you have a hard-on for obsolete formats or you just like the aesthetics of the thing. Which is a shame, a lot of older albums from non-Anglo countries are exclusively on ancient tapes and the people who find them probably can't afford to invest five hundred bucks in ripping them.
>>
>>70955821
>ideological purity tests are pretty obnoxious.
and that's why your generation doesn't have shit of you own.

(I know it's not all young people. Lots of DIY teens and kids around me. Lots of shills on 4chan)
>>
>>70955833
kek, haggling with artists. as gauche as it gets.
>>
>>70955905
its not haggling you literal fucking idiot

thread hidden
>>
>>70955885
I happen to have a cassette player in my car anyway so it's not bad. I'm considering getting an in home player from the 90's with Dolby S. I'm also looking at getting the Walkman Professional.
>>
>>70955884
Dream Catalogue, Series 200 etc.
>>
>>70955885
nigga please. I bought a Walkman for $20. I buy 20+ year old tapes all of the time. Sounds great. Worth it to never hear an ad on one of the soulless streaming services ever again.
>>
>>70955922
fuck off bandcamp shill
>>
>>70955890
>and that's why your generation doesn't have shit of you own.

What the fuck are you even talking about?
>>
>>70955975
Back when I was young. The scene made and sold the records. The scene ran the shows. The scene was the media. It was a real community.

Corporations were not fucking welcome.
>>
Cassette is the proletarian hipster gentleman medium of choice
>>
>>70956003
So a few market websites qualifies as "the Corporations" man the goalposts have moved a lot since I was young. Wonder how long till mom and pop shops become "the Corporations"
>>
>>70955693
Bandcamp really is the best way to put your stuff out anymore. Everything I've released is through Bandcamp along with physical releases. It's always set to name your price, and people do actually pay for stuff more than you probably think.
>>
>>70956057
Please. Hipsters are bourgeoisie in disguise.
>>
>>70956076
nigga plz.

Would Discord records et al. have had half the impact if ultimatly, when the shit hit the fan, they had to answer to Sony or whomever?

Independent is independent. It's realllllllllly important.

If you can't see how important independence is with what's going on in the media right now, you're a dumb ass, and should probably just go see Beyonce at Coachella or whatever.

>Wonder how long till mom and pop shops become "the Corporations"

This is just stupid nonsense and I suspect you know it.
>>
>>70956104
Young people need to take their scene off the increasingly compromised internet.
>>
>>70952430
This can't be real
>>
>>70956185
exactly. yes. look at the ongoing censorship on twitter for example.
>>
>>70956185
THIS

MAKE GOOD CDS AND I WILL LITERALLY PAY $50 FOR SOMETHING THAT ISNT MAINSTREAM GARBAGE
>>
>>70956003
exactly. it's why my generation doesn't have any radical culture. we've got a bunch of ivy league rich kids pretending to be bohemians playing pitchfork festival and shit.
>>
>>70956154
*Tin foil intensifies*

Good fucking Christ.
>>
>>70956194
It probably is.
>>
>>70956243
>don't question the system goy
>>
>>70955642
Because you are dumb. You can't read or understand information.
>>
>>70956243
But anon was right.
>>
>>70956258
>Fight the system!
>>
>>70956290
'communism' was the system.

'Liberalism' is the new system.
>>
>>70956275
Nig. Supporting indies is really fucking easy, pretending that you have to go off to some fucking corner of the internet is they shit that stupid people talk about.
>>
>>70956307
>Pretending that Conservatism and Liberalism institutions are any different.

Nigga.
>>
I believe musicians should be supported separately by the government. There should be a separate entity for entertainers: prostitutes, musicians and performance artists would all register and then based on their output they would be entitled to a certain salary paid by the government directly. This in addition to the records etc what they make.
>>
>>70956319
literally nonsense. Was talking about severing from the internet entirely.
>>
>>70955923

Yeah, if you want to rip them for the future make sure your deck has a good line out port and that your sound card is good and has a line in. You might also want to look into adjusting the screws in case you want to get the very most out of it.
>>
>>70956340
They aren't.

"liberalism' and "communism' are just two different names for opressive authoritarian control.
>>
>>70956361
Why the fuck would you do that? Maybe it's because I live in the boonies but I haven't seen a music shop in years.
>>
>>70956376
You don't understand what liberalism means kid.
>>
Musicians are like prostitutes - they go around playing in pubs and places where people use drugs and drink. Music has always been the lowest form of art in this sense as it is very closely related to the lowest filth roaming the gutter.
>>
>>70956407
Nigga, I used to drive an hour to buy records or literally mailed cash to labels via zine ads etc.

If you want a culture you have to be willing to put in effort.

Or you can just listen to some fucknut shoved down your throat by Hollywood/Silicon Valley etc.
>>
>>70956367
Probably not, though I might rip some stuff if it catches my fancy I wish I had a 3d printer so that I could make a custom album.

>>70956376
As is 'Conservatism' and 'Fascism'
>>
>>70956407
There's a few still kicking about in my town. I have no fucking idea how they survive. Selling Black Sabbath t-shirts and Bob Marley lighters I suspect, nobody's going to buy a CD for above cost these days surely.
>>
>>70956421
I most certainly do. 'Liberalism', in it's contemporary form, is incoherent nonsense used to distract, divide and demoralize the population.
>>
>>70956457
...or stream/download based on recommendations of other 4chan users?
Cool false dichotomy though grampa
>>
>>70956457
I remember driving 4,5,6,7,8 hours to go see shows.

Is this laziness seriously the attitude of young people now, or are there really shills itt?
>>
>>70956478
No it's not you silly billy. Identity politics perhaps does what you suggest. Try read a little political theory sometime.
>>
>>70956512
shill

You idiots will lie lie lie to protect your attempt to monopolize and control culture.
>>
>>70956548
Identity politics ARE contemporary liberalism. (not talking about the actual left wing)
>>
>>70956549
I hope you're not being serious big fella.
If you're being serious, please seek help. You need medicating.
>>
>>70956457
>Nigga, I used to drive an hour to buy records or literally mailed cash to labels via zine ads etc. If you want a culture you have to be willing to put in effort.

Fuck that noise it's music, not something that makes me money.

>Or you can just listen to some fucknut shoved down your throat by Hollywood/Silicon Valley etc.

Are you seriously that much of a luddite to where you think all online sellers are controlled by the Jews or some shit?

>>70956521
Concert audio sounds like garbage and no one will admit it because they want pretend to be cool.
>>
>>70956563
Identity politics and liberalism are diametrically opposed. You've put the word contemporary in there to cover your ass a little, but you're still wrong.
>>
>>70956571
Not sure there are enough pills for this goy.

>>70956470
I'm sure that there are but the town I lived in killed the old record store because they're trying to turn the town into a retirement community.
>>
>>70956521
Hey I once drove 5 hours to see Faith No More play.
Wasn't really worth it.
>>
>>70956607
'liberalism' has been co-opted. What's done in the name of 'liberalism' (censorship, violence etc) aren't really liberal principals.

Much like the Bolsheviks weren't really communists, ISIS isn't really Islam etc.
>>
>>70956571
>>70956622
you neophytes don't know the half of what's really gone down the last 15 years or so.
>>
Jesus I can't tell if you guys are shitposting on purpose or just legitimately out of touch.
>>
>>70956678
At this point I'm shitposting the autism here is gold.
>>
>>70956701
cool it, or I'll start naming names.
>>
>>70956658
>'liberalism' has been co-opted
In the US, kinda. It would be more accurate to say that Americans use the word wrongly.
>>
>>70956678
>legitimately out of touch
This whole board is.
>>
>>70956678
Be a little more constructive with your feedback please.
>>
>>70956675
"Everyone is a shill! The Corporations are in my brain! I need to travel 8 hours to buy my music!"

>>70956716
Sure bud.
>>
>>70956745
Gas yourself cunt, nobody wants you here
>>
>>70956735
It's the globalists. They've literally co-opted media, academia.....and no one talks about it, but even things like indie rock.

'Liberalism' is the culture they're currently using to try and oppress and control the populace.
>>
>>70956745
He's not wrong.
>>
>>70956762
fuck off scab
>>
File: IMG_7119.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7119.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
In a few countries cassettes are still the preferred medium for releases since they're cheap. I get most of my indonesian releases on cassette.

Also, some bands' early stuff is cassette-exclusive. Pic related has my 1997 Acid Mothers Temple cassette in it, limited to 50 copies.

Others are noise, some NWW stuff that I got for cheap on RRRecords, and indonesian things, as I mentioned earlier.

As some other posters said, it's only worth it if the genres you like have a strong cassette affiliation.
>>
>>70956780
Never.

>>70956811
Kind of reminds me how Jamaica still uses vinyl because it's the cheapest and everyone has a record player.
>>
>>70956750
Tried. Was met with "muh jews" and accused of being a shill. I'm not here to get into shit flinging contests with strangers on the internet, I just don't see what's bad about being able to promote your work for free.
>>
>>70956811
Cassettes are also experiencing a resurgence in the rap world because they are allowed in prisons.
>>
Watched an indie label sell 300 cassettes in under 2 minutes a few months ago for like $15 a pop.
>>
Yes. It's very real. Lot of squares in this thread.
>>
>>70956897
Thank god for Goodwill.
>>
>>70957017
nope. fresh off the presses.
>>
File: IMG_20170212_013026.jpg (54KB, 720x413px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170212_013026.jpg
54KB, 720x413px
Ordered my first vinyl albums. Anything I should know about vinyl?
>>
>>70956860
that sounds like a slippery slope, I'm pretty sure I could strangle a man with some cassette tape
>>
>>70957252
any record player under 200 dollars is shit tier
>>
File: 20170212_003523-1.jpg (2MB, 2157x2318px) Image search: [Google]
20170212_003523-1.jpg
2MB, 2157x2318px
>>70957252
Best ways to hold it is as shown in pic related
>>
>>70957335
*leans into mic*
WRONG
>>
>>70956108
Im a hipster fallen into proletariat
Thread posts: 150
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.