[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is indie rock dead?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

File: Pavement_Crooked_Rain.jpg (37KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
Pavement_Crooked_Rain.jpg
37KB, 360x360px
does anybody even get excited about indie releases anymore? i feel like it is dying. even a couple years ago normies would go crazy for beach house, real estate, sufjan stevens, ect. now its all chance the rapper, drake, young thug, migos... whatever. i just want guitars in music again.
>>
>>70891035
>i feel like it is dying
>i just want guitars in music again.
There are new guitar bands playing literally every day. Are you tarded?
>>
All music is dying.
>>
Rock music in general is dead.

There's nowhere for it to go and nothing to be developed.

Indie rock was killed by DCFC/The Strokes/Interpol/Elliott Smith etc.
>>
in terms of popularity, yes

kanye was right when he said rap is the new rock and roll
>>
>>70891035
indie has been stagnant for about 20 years, it's just not trendy anymore
>>
>>70891096
>>70891092
>>
>>70891125
You're a dumbshit if you're trying to direct this quote >>70891092 at me >>70891096
>>
>>70891140
Yes it's directed at you.

>It's dead
>oh but it still exists
Then it isn't dead, is it?
>>
>>70891155
Jazz still exists.

It's fucking dead.

Go be a pedantic cunt somewhere else.
>>
>>70891164
>It's fucking dead.
It can't be because you just said
>Jazz still exists.

Make up your mind.

>but meh innovation!
Who cares? If it's good, it's good. >>>/bleep/
>>
>>70891103
Rap was the new rock 10 years ago, even that's dying and R&B/pop is is more popular then straight up rap.
>>
>>70891035
https://bandcamp.com/tag/indie-rock?sort_field=date

Wow that was easy.
>>
>>70891242
kanye is the biggest rockstar right now
he makes rap
rap is the biggest genre
>>
>>70891260
>>
>>70891354
>5 year old study
>>
File: Music-in-2013.jpg (78KB, 960x684px) Image search: [Google]
Music-in-2013.jpg
78KB, 960x684px
>>70891389
Do your really think it's changed that much in such a short period of time?
>>
Do you literally not listen to music? Rock certainly isn't as popular as it used to be but there's still a lot of bands with a guitar focused sound.
>>
>>70891479
>hard music
Seems like metal. Should be in rock.

>alternative
Should also be included in rock depending on what they mean by it.
>>
>>70891479
this is definitely bullshit lmao

drake has literally outsold every rock album last year
>>
>>70891480
OP here. here are some current bands and artists i like:

cloud nothings
parquet courts
ty segall
joyce manor
thee oh sees
angel olsen
protomartyr

what else should i listen to? im not denying that good indie rock exists right now, i just feel like it isnt as celebrated, and that the populous isnt listening as much anymore. also maybe less being created
>>
>>70891556
who cares if it isn't celebrated
>>
>>70891553
Protip: People still buy old albums every day
>>
All genres of music will be dead by 2020

There's nowhere left to go and we can't have another underground movement thanks to the Internet
All that will be left are pop stars heavily marketed by the industry
>>
>>70891479
>hard music

So only soft rock is popular?
>>
>>70891553
>drake has literally outsold every rock album last year
All rock albums combined still outsold drake
>>
>>70891556
You either have a misconception of what indie rock is, or what was popular in the past.
>>
>>70891035
'indie' rock was taking over by corporate/globalists interests plants and spies sometime in the mid to late 90s.

Seriously.

It's a farce now.
>>
>>70891096
Elliott Smith was a great songwriter and doesn't deserve to be lumped in with those hacks
>>
Reminder that Guided by Voices is the best indie rock band of the 90s and even the first half of the 2000s
>>
File: dXVASD8.png (657KB, 576x768px) Image search: [Google]
dXVASD8.png
657KB, 576x768px
Where is the cLOUDDEAD of indie rock?

Who is going to make the genre's final massive artistic statement and hammer the final nail into its dusty coffin?
>>
>>70891556
it's too bad joyce manor sucks now

>>70893335
what are you talking about, most of that was indie rock
>>
>>70891096
>Indie rock was killed by DCFC/The Strokes/Interpol/Elliott Smith etc.
Indie rock was killed by Alan Greenspan anon
>>
>>70891556
Cloud Nothings fucking rip live but their new album was really mediocre
>>
>>70893497
The idea that indie rock was ever particularly celebrated is misinformed.
>>
>>70893574
oldfag here. Indie Rock was VITAL in the late 80s/early 90s. No internet. It was THEEE conduit of non msm info.

You young dudes can't understand.

and this dude: >>70893402 is spot on
>>
>>70893669
The other guy was implying it was at the level of pop music today, as if pop music hasn't been doing it's thing forever.
>>
>>70893428
>The Strokes
>Interpol
>bad
no
>>
>>70891479
>album sales
The majority of people stream these days so that's not exactly a good counterargument.
>>
>>70893725
I didn't say they were bad. I said they were hacks
I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of Is This It and TOTBL but they're pretty objectively just more accessible versions of bands that came before. Julian has literally said in interviews that they were inspired to start The Strokes after hearing TVU's self-titled
>>
>>70893781
>Julian has literally said in interviews that they were inspired to start The Strokes after hearing TVU's self-titled
yeah man, every band has influences.

i'm not saying that the strokes were super super original, but what bands really sound exactly like them that came before? the only real similarity i see between them and TVU is lyrical stuff
>>
>>70893694
'popular culture' unto itself waned with the decentralization of media. As did indie rock.

But centralized media (imperialism) has returned under the guises of things like 'globalism' and 'social justice'.

Every smart kid in America should start a band now. And start a culture independent from corporate interests, and really the internet entirely.

Take it back to SST in '78.

It's become important again.
>>
>>70893781
Elliot Smith's music is objectively garbage-tier tripe that panders to angsty 20 years olds.
>>
>>70893913
Elliott Smith objectively had more songwriting talent in his left nut than most artists ever hope to have in their lifetime and if you disagree it's probably because you don't know anything about his music

If he hadn't appeared at the Oscars and gone mainstream and/or been more creative with his arrangements instead of falling back on generic indie rock/Beatles worship history would have been infinitely kinder to him
>>
>>70894102
No you don't understand, this isn't a discussion. Elliot Smith is a terrible artist. That's all there is to it.

So you like a a terrible artist. That's fine, just own it.
>>
>>70894176
How can he be terrible when he released the two objective best albums of the 90's?
>>
>>70894718
>objective best albums of the 90's
i mean, i think he's good, but that's going too far.
maybe two of the best, but objectively the two best? nah.
>>
All the people who say "Rock is dead" need to discover Metal. that'll cure your "need for guitars in music again".

also if you think rock is dead you're retarded and have clearly never even looked for any. just because rap is popular doesn't mean other genres don't exist. you just have to look beyond the fucking top 40 chart cancer and actually find some bands that are good. use your fucking brain.
>>
>>70895310
When people talk about genres livelihood they're really talking about its relevancy. Frank Sinatra's brand of pop is still around but it's not like the average person on the street knows the next up and coming lounge singer. It's effectively dead.
>>
>>70895310
metal has always sucked. It was suspended manchild music back in the 80s too.
>>
>>70895369
I don't see why people give a fuck how popular a genre is. Why does it matter?
>>
>tfw i just want people to talk about indie rock at parties with and get excited about new releases
>>
>>70891639
This tbqh
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.