[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's wrong with cultural appropriation in music?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Graceland.jpg (346KB, 1416x1407px) Image search: [Google]
Graceland.jpg
346KB, 1416x1407px
What's wrong with cultural appropriation in music?
>>
rich white 60s rockstar gets even richer by taking black music and reducing it to unoffensive am / fm soft rock and you don't see anything?
and this is coming from someone that likes the entire graceland album by the way
>>
>>70881413
What harm was done?
>>
>>70881738
I dunno, I was just riffing. It is weird though.
>>
>>70881413

You're aware that the musicians playing the "black music" are Africans, right? And that this music was wildly successful in Africa?
>>
>>70881779
He also didn't "take" anything, the backing band were already huge in South Africa and he paid them for their work
>>
>>70881779
>>70882029
Yeah this is why the argument always fell flat to me. Same with the Talking Heads who always had almost always had exclusively black artists for their live-line ups.
>>
Why does it matter where the style of music originated? All that matters is whether or not it's good, which Graceland is.

Why isn't it a problem when a rapper samples a piece of music composed by a white man? Or when the Japanese make hip-hop or blues or rock n' roll when all of those were invented in the East?
>>
>>70882209
I don't want to sounds like a fucking alt-right fag or a /pol/tard or what have you, but because with these extreme people only white people can be the bad guys. Even if you're in marginilized group like the gays or you're trans, if you're a white trans or a white gay they shape you as the bad guys from those groups.
>>
>>70882209
>Why isn't it a problem when a rapper samples a piece of music composed by a white man? Or when the Japanese make hip-hop or blues or rock n' roll when all of those were invented in the East?

Well the argument is that cultural appropriation is usually a problem when the culture doing the appropriating is clearly more advantaged. Like white people appropriating black culture etc.

Not that I agree with it
>>
>>70882268
Sadly true. I can't recall a single musician who was accused of harmful cultural appropriation who wasn't white.
>>
>>70882268
It's not because they're white, it's because 99% of all successful artists who use other culture's music for monetary gain are white. Nobody cares about John Fahey's adoption of "negro" music, as he would say, because he didn't get insanely rich off of it.

>>70882290
This
>>
>>70882290
Most Asian countries are more advantaged than Africans/African Americans in that case.
>>
>>70882029

Moreover, he exposed millions to their music who would not have heard it otherwise and made them famous. They toured the globe on their own after the fame brought to them by Graceland
>>
>>70882684
>inb4 white savior
>>
>>70882029
also Paul Simon got into some trouble for breaking the UN cultural boycott by working with South African musicians - so he actually took a personal risk to promote South African music
>>
File: phillip.png (46KB, 351x339px) Image search: [Google]
phillip.png
46KB, 351x339px
>>70881351
Anyone who has ever unironically complained about "cultural appropriation" deserves to be thrown out of a helicopter
>>
>>70882980
This. Needs to die a death fast-what the fuck do people find wrong with appreciating another culture? Actual racists wouldn't.
>>
>>70882378
Yeah but the majority of the people who really care are other white Americans, who don't pay attention to the popular music of Asian countries. The only people who listen to Japanese music don't really care.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.