[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Grimes the new Mozart?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 8

File: griimes underrated.png (331KB, 600x345px) Image search: [Google]
griimes underrated.png
331KB, 600x345px
Discuss.
>>
>>70827469
fuck no, art angels was trash tier
>>
>>70827469
Why not? She's as talented a Mozzie at songwriting, melodies and harmonies. Mozart has the advantage of being a really established cultural icon, so it's like a sacred cow.
>>
No. Grimes is trash.
Grimes has innovated nothing.
Grimes is not influential.
Grimes is simply put bland and trash p4k core garbage that people keep peddling on here for no reason other than waifuism
>>
>>70827822
You idiot, again. Stop it, you're always saying crap about her. You have no right to criticize her when you're an Oasis fanboy, just sayin'.
>>
>>70827896
oasis has sold records
grimes hasn't
>>
>>70827896
At least Oasis created a movement within Britain and made at least a dent on music history. Grimes has done nothing but take a top 40 sound, make it a bit more quirky, dress up like Gaga and make hipsters who are too "cultured" to listen to top 40 eat her music up like candy.
All you guys fawn over her like she is the second coming of Jesus Christ, make threads just as bad as Kpop gen in which you do not discuss music at all, and just make yourselves look like idiots who will never reproduce.
>>
>>70827917
>>70827944
Oasis was a mere The Beatles clone, 30 years too late. They innovated shit, Blur were much better.

>At least Oasis created a movement within Britain and made at least a dent on music history. Grimes has done nothing but take a top 40 sound, make it a bit more quirky, dress up like Gaga and make hipsters who are too "cultured" to listen to top 40 eat her music up like candy.
What top 40 sound she took? Did you even listen to top 40 and her music? Stop talking from your own delusions. Grimes is doing her own thing that nobody else has done before. If you don't believe me name 1 (one) similar artist that did music as diverse as Scream, Kill V Maim, Sagrad, Oblivion, California, Realiti, Caladan, Skin, Eight, Venus in Fleurs, Be a Body, Laughing and Not Being Normal, Circumambient, Dream Fortress.
>>
>>70827917
oy vey cant be good if you don't get da shekels
>>
File: 1474981609646.png (737KB, 648x574px) Image search: [Google]
1474981609646.png
737KB, 648x574px
>>70828065
>If you don't believe me name 1 (one) similar artist that did music as diverse as Scream, Kill V Maim, Sagrad, Oblivion, California, Realiti, Caladan, Skin, Eight, Venus in Fleurs, Be a Body, Laughing and Not Being Normal, Circumambient, Dream Fortress.
>>
File: 1483747657499.png (77KB, 752x612px) Image search: [Google]
1483747657499.png
77KB, 752x612px
>>70827469
No
>>
>>70828136
>posts a picture with himself
Lmfao!
>>
>>70828227
this ep is better than grimes whole discog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef7pX_MoDLc
>>
>>70827562
>>70827822
>>70827917
>>70827944
Lol what spergs.

>>70827469
Maybe. Only time will tell.
>>
>>70828255
It's boring and not much happens. Sorry pal, Grimes is much, much better.

At least listen to some Underworld and Orbital if you want good electronic music.
>>
>>70828354
>It's boring and not much happens.
aka you're too dumb to understand it. classic grimesfan
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWiPHQdIZUE

Nah she actually blows
>>
only fags listen to grimes
>>
>>70828065
Grimes is a mere top 40 clone, so right back at you dude. Also Oasis hardly sounds like a exact rip off of the Beatles, also if you want to argue about "Beatles rip-offs" you can just insult the whole neo-psych genre because it is literally a revamping of that sound.

And Grimes is not doing her own thing. Saying that is being autistic as hell.
>>
>>70828363
That's a weak excuse. Just admit some music isn't for everyone. I find Ferraro to be boring, you probably find Grimes to be boring, we're even. Taste is subjective.
>>
>>70828470
boring is the weakest excuse buddy
its okay to like pop music but calling meaningful art "boring" just screams unintelligent
>>
>>70828427
>Grimes is a mere top 40 clone, so right back at you dude.
She's not. Literally no one from the top 40 is like her. Name one to prove me wrong or shut up.

>Also Oasis hardly sounds like a exact rip off of the Beatles, also if you want to argue about "Beatles rip-offs" you can just insult the whole neo-psych genre because it is literally a revamping of that sound.
Read this http://www.feelnumb.com/2009/02/25/oasis-songs-with-beatles-references/

>And Grimes is not doing her own thing. Saying that is being autistic as hell.
I meant she's in total control of her career and she's literally doing singing, production, music videos, songwriting, even the artwork of her albums. Not many female artists could claim that.
>>
>>70828509
Boring is a valid critique. It means that piece doesn't hold my interest and it bores me to death. That's totally plausible, don't you think? What really happens in that piece that you posted? Not even a hook or a decent melody, just some high school sound collage shit.

Compare that experiment with such an elaborate piece like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb_0LzBv894 Really, listen to it now. See how many exciting changes are in this song?
>>
what's so innovative and influential about making cocteau twins-inspired synthpop?
>>
>>70827822
Said what we're all thinking
>>
File: grimz.jpg (264KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
grimz.jpg
264KB, 1000x1500px
>>70828683
Cocteau Twins-inspired synthpop. That's the answer. No one else tried that before and that's innovative. All great artists combine influences from the past and add their own twist. e.g. MBV were heavily inspired by JAMC, Sonic Youth and Cocteau Twins.

And tbch it's not just Cocteau Twins-inspired synthpop. There are influences from classical music, k-pop, ambient, IDM, techno, alt rock, even a bit of industrial. This cocktail of influences is really the bomb.

>Imagine a collaboration between Kraftwerk, Cocteau Twins, Bjork, Mariah Carey, a Gregorian choir, Mozart, Aphex Twin, Underworld, Depeche Mode, Skinny Puppy and Kyary Pamyu Pamyu. That's Grimes.
>>
>>70828621
lmao be a body is nothing compared to this https://youtu.be/pd-uSm8ittU
try again kid
>>
>>70828694
You + Montie =/= all
>>
>>70827469
Fuck this dumb bullshit
>>
*filters grimes*
>>
>>70828793
Excuse me son, but when you'll grow up you'll get over this meme music and maybe listen to some great electronic music: Grimes, Autechre, FSOL, Biosphere, u-ziq, Orbital, Squarepusher, Boards of Canada, Jean Michel Jarre, Isao Tomita, YMO, Klaus Schulze, Tangerine Dream, Silver Apples, Juan Atkins, Cybotron, 808 State, Aphex Twin, Art of Noise, Depeche Mode, The Knife, Bjork, Brian Eno, Propaganda, Venetian Snares, GAS, The Field.
>>
>>70828786
Please consider going to therapy. Honest advice. You guys seem quite unhealthy
>>
>>70828927
>has zero argument
>throws grimes in with a bunch of wikipedia listed electronic artist to seem knowledgeable
pathetic
ferraro > grimes
>>
>>70828793
OK, I was quite mean. This album that you posted sounds intriguing after checking some fragments from it. But it doesn't seem better than Be a Body. I will listen to it with an open mind.
>>
>>70828546
hurrr they reference da beatles n say yellow submarien in supersonic hurr hahaha discrecited
>>
>>70828974
>a bunch of wikipedia listed electronic artist
False, friendo. I actually really like these artists. I wrote these names by hand from memory. Listen to them, they're really great. You have my word.

>ferraro > grimes
It's incorrect.
>>
>>70829052
Oasis were really obsessed with The Beatles, you can't deny this. They actually believed they're the second The Beatles.
>>
>>70829058
using buzzwords like "meme" to discredit an artist. showcases you're a conman pretending to like music

ferraro > grimes
heres more proof btw https://youtu.be/LvKoO6mr4_g
>>
>>70829107
>ferraro > grimes
Come on dude, that's just your opinion. For me it's exactly viceversa and nothing could change my mind about this. Let's agree to disagree and move on.
>>
>>70829107
>you're a conman pretending to like music
You don't know better than me if I like music. Actually I don't like music, I love music.
>>
>>70829162
no he is way better. his discog changes genres every release
see this boiler room set https://youtu.be/NntgFRUw2PU
>>70829198
>loves music
>calls artists meme
yeah no
>>
>>70828427
>Grimes is a mere top 40 clone
Of whom, exactly?
>>
>>70828683
Doing it in the here and now - ie. within the sphere of modern contemporary pop music.
>>
>>70828694
>referring to yourself in plural
Lol might wanna get that swelled ego looked at.
>>
>>70829339
That's sick burn
>>
>>70829208
>yeah no
yeah yes
>>
>>70829469
https://youtu.be/r907pEGhAwc
>>
>>70828793
>Needing to equate an ENTIRE ALBUM'S WORTH OF MUSIC by one artist to just a single song of another's in order to just ATTEMPT to make your point
Lol
>>
File: Screenshot_20170204-180200.png (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170204-180200.png
1MB, 2560x1440px
Literally just listened to her for the first time and she is fucking awful. Shitty beats and not even a good voice.

Mars Argo>Poppy>>>>All
>>
>>70828930
>You guys
>thinking individual posts on 4chan are the work of groups of people
>>
>>70827469

Her music is very well produced, and judging by her character I think this mean she doesn't actually have much to do with the music on her albums. I've helped a few girls "write" songs by basically producing the whole thing while they go on about their lyrics and the "vibe" of a track.
>>
>>70829665
This. He needed a whole album to attempt beating a Grimes album track.
>>
>>70829665
>>70829839
here u go babys :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuMcF3A7kcs
>>
>>70829765
You helped a few girls "write" songs by basically producing the whole thing =/= the same thing happened to Grimes. If you have no proof to support your accusation, cease your sexist slander. Women could be producers too and Grimes proved that in an amazing way.
>>
>>70829765
>talking about music you clearly haven't listened to by an artist you clearly know nothing about
Double lol
>>
File: i.png (1MB, 910x1288px) Image search: [Google]
i.png
1MB, 910x1288px
>>70829765
>>
>>70828387
looooooooooooooool
>>
>>70829899
Tbh the entire album you posted had a much better chance. Grimes' music might not be suited to all tastes, but at least it sounds intentional and tends to have identifiable, specific meanings behind it. This stuff you keep posting is little more than glorified elevator music (in some cases, literally.)
>>
>>70830092
You're right. That Ferraro's music is the kind of music you listen to and forget about it immediately after it ends. On the other hand, Grimes' music could deeply affect a person. It's memorable and emotional.
>>
>>70830092
>glorified elevator music
not true btw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjEc80rrIlM
>>
>>70829910
>cease your sexist slander. Women could be producers too and Grimes proved that in an amazing way.
yeah, she sure did a great job of proving how shit women are at producing music. she can't take all the credit tho, that Lauren cunt from Chvrches did a fantastic job of that too. fucking nu-male faggots.
>>
>>70830388
You stupid fuck, Grimes productions are great. Lauren of Chvrches never claimed to be a producer. Now shut the fuck up you ignorant cunt.
>>
File: 1477586514795.png (2MB, 1768x2576px) Image search: [Google]
1477586514795.png
2MB, 1768x2576px
>>70830722
(You)
>>
>>70830205

>Much of Far Side Virtual's music is inspired by and deliberately evokes elevator music...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_Side_Virtual
>>
>>70830388
>I let pretty women take advantage of me for my mediocre music production skills
>therefore I behave like a sexist asshole on the internet
>because irl I have no spine
Sucks to be you, anon.
>>
>>70830969
>Wikipedia

lets see what that same wikipedia says about grimes

"Boucher was born and raised in Vancouver, British Columbia.[11][12] She is of Québécois and Ukrainian descent.[13][14][15] According to the time stamps on her original MySpace page, Boucher began writing music under the name Grimes in 2007. Grimes later confirmed that she took her name from grime music after discovering the existence of the genre on Myspace.[16][17][18] In interviews, Grimes explains that she was asked to do backing vocals for a friend, and though at first reluctant, realized it was easier than she expected it to be. After this experience, she asked a friend of hers to teach her the basics of GarageBand in exchange for food and thereafter began writing her own experimental music."

wow took her 10 years to try to make top 40 and she still failed
>>
>>70828927
>RYM best electronic music albums of all-time chart-tier artists
nice original taste fag
>>
>>70831319
They're great artists regardless of what RYM charts say. Any fan of good electronic music should know these artists. I like them and I discovered them from various sources, it's my original taste. Stop being a fucking RYM hipster, fag.
>>
File: jamesferraro029.jpg (429KB, 1400x977px) Image search: [Google]
jamesferraro029.jpg
429KB, 1400x977px
ITT: James Ferraro is the new Mozart confirmed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf-hASwA8q0
>>
>>70831226
>wow took her 10 years to try to make top 40 and she still failed
Wait a minute, who said that she wanted to make top 40? If she really wanted to make top 40 she would make top 40 music. She clearly didn't. Why? Because this is her goal:
>"To become the world's weirdest pop-star and be respected for having a strong, experimental body of work that represents something new in music and that is considered to be 'important' rather than 'popular'."

And by the way, she started making music seriously around 2009. In 2007 & 2008 she was just messing around in GarageBand.
>>
More like the new CANCER that's killing this board along with kpop.
>>
>>70831406
Ridiculous! That hack isn't even 1/10 as good as Grimes. He can't write a good tune to save his life, only elevator muzak.
>>
>>70827469
THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER MOZART YOU FUCKING 8 YEAR OLDS
>>
>>70831226
>lets see what that same wikipedia
>Not having the balls to own up to the fact that you enjoy listening to literal glorified elevator music

Anon, her most recent album was self produced and made it into the top 40. What are you on about?
>>
>>70831535
That anon was pretty much btfo
>>
>>70831226
>thereafter began writing her own experimental music
>EXPERIMENTAL MUSIC

Do you see the problem here?
>>
>>70827469
how is she?
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.