[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Musicians who had/have depressing lives

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 31

File: BlindWillieJohnsonpic.jpg (116KB, 770x877px) Image search: [Google]
BlindWillieJohnsonpic.jpg
116KB, 770x877px
ITT: Musicians who had/have depressing lives
>>
File: Tim-Buckley-Look-at-the-Fool.jpg (380KB, 1010x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Tim-Buckley-Look-at-the-Fool.jpg
380KB, 1010x1024px
Here presented is Tim Buckley a man who had some of the best vocals a folk singer could have, so much so that he experimented with it, alienated his fan base, did a ton of drugs and was completely broke by the time of Starsailor. Came back as a funk artist, alienated his fan base again and was rejected on all major radio stations for explicit lyrics, went onto making more funk/soul music such as Sefronia, which was a complete mess in arrangement while Look at the Fool sounded like a man broken down completely, vocals destroyed and an ugly album cover to boot, poorly sold, he played his last songs before his death from this album, his legacy is still riddled with confusion and whether at the end of the day he was in it for the money.
>>
>>70819241
I think it's neat that even though he had a somewhat shitty life, one of his songs is in space and will remain there for tens of thousands of years until it gets destroyed by something or we find it again.
>>
>>70819241
I fucking LOVE Blind Willie Johnson. Tell me his story anon. Pu-pu-pweeease
>>70819451
What song? Is it Dark was the Night, Cold was the Ground?
>>
File: Chet675.jpg (15KB, 220x323px) Image search: [Google]
Chet675.jpg
15KB, 220x323px
>>
File: Brian Wilson.png (312KB, 500x331px) Image search: [Google]
Brian Wilson.png
312KB, 500x331px
>>
>>70820888
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2HzHSeV9v8
>>
>>70821181
Das deep mang
>>
hank williams
>>
File: Judee-Sill-3.jpg (394KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Judee-Sill-3.jpg
394KB, 2000x1000px
Sill's personal life was turbulent, and she was affected by the early deaths of her father, mother and brother. Sill claimed to have been married twice, saying in interviews that she was briefly married either during or just after high school to a classmate, that her parents had the marriage annulled, and that he later died in a rafting accident.[2][6] A friend of Sill's has written that she claimed to have married her robbery partner as a teenager.[8] Sill's second marriage was to Robert Maurice "Bob" Harris on April 27, 1966 in Clark County, Nevada.[9] They divorced in 1972.[6]

After a series of car accidents and failed surgery for a painful back injury, Sill struggled with drug addiction and dropped out of the music scene.[4] She died of a drug overdose, or "acute cocaine and codeine intoxication," on November 23, 1979, at her apartment on Morrison Street in North Hollywood. The Los Angeles coroner ruled her death a suicide, taking into account a note found near her body, but some who knew her have contended that the note, which reportedly contained "a meditation on rapture, the hereafter, and the innate mystery of life", was not a suicide note but rather a diary entry or song concept.[4] Her ashes were scattered into the Pacific Ocean after a ceremony organized by a few close friends at the Self-Realization Fellowship in Pacific Palisades.[17] According to a 2005 Washington Post story, by the time of Sill's death, she had become so obscure that no obituary was published, and for many years a number of her friends were unaware she had died.[4]
>>
I think Jackson C. Frank is up there
>>
File: 220px-Cass_Elliot_(1972).png (46KB, 220x266px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Cass_Elliot_(1972).png
46KB, 220x266px
On April 22, 1974, Elliot collapsed before an appearance on the The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson. Elliot played it off in interviews as nothing more than exhaustion.

Elliot performed two weeks of concerts at the London Palladium later that summer, at the height of her solo career. Many claimed that all of these shows were sold out, but she was often playing to a less than full house after the earliest dates.[19] She called Michelle Phillips after the final concert on July 28, elated that she had received standing ovations each night. She then retired for the evening and died in her sleep, at age 32. According to the forensic pathologist conducting her autopsy, her death was due to "heart failure due to fatty myocardial degeneration due to obesity". A drug screen that was part of the forensic autopsy further showed no drugs in her system.[20][21][22] >Elliot died in Flat 12, 9 Curzon Place (later Curzon Square), Shepherd Market, Mayfair, London, which was on loan from singer/songwriter Harry Nilsson.
>Four years later, The Who's drummer Keith Moon died in the same flat, also aged 32 years.[23][24] Elliot was buried in Mount Sinai Memorial Park Cemetery in Los Angeles.[25]

A twofer, makes you think.
>>
File: siiiiip.jpg (62KB, 405x664px) Image search: [Google]
siiiiip.jpg
62KB, 405x664px
>>70821653
Where's the part about the ham sammich.
>>
>>70821502
poor guy
>>
all of them

/thread
>>
>>70821841
There was no hammu sammich.
An oft-repeated urban legend is that Elliot choked to death on a ham sandwich.[26][27] The story spread soon after the discovery of her body and was based on speculation in the initial media coverage. An autopsy had not yet been performed, but police told reporters that a partially eaten sandwich found in her room might have been to blame. The post-mortem examination found that Elliot had died of heart failure, and no food was found in her windpipe,[22] yet the false story has persisted for decades
>>
File: 1427683308449.gif (651KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
1427683308449.gif
651KB, 300x169px
>>70821904
I know, I was just joking Anon.
RIP Mama Cass.
>>
>>70821932
I figured as much.
https://youtu.be/MWZfKcYlefE
>>
Elliott Smith's life was pretty sad, he was basically abused by his stepfather during his childhood and became an depressive alcoholic for his whole life.
He became really paranoid and addicted to cocaine and heroin during the last three years of his life, and that estrangled his friends.
He was trying to get his shit together few months before he committed suicide, but it didn't work.

>inb4 courtney love did it
I don't know, but I believe Elliott and Kurt both did it because their lives were a fucking mess.

Otherwise, I don't think J Mascis had a bad childhood or something like that, but both of his parents died when he was in his twenties, and I guess that contributed to his depression.
>>
Taylor swift
>>
>>70819386
and then his son had a hit record and then drowned. fucking pottery.
>>
>>70821076
desu his memoir is just depressing. All he does is sit in a chair, look at his family unable to communicate with them, and then occasionally plays some piano that he remembers. Still a genius tho.
>>
File: 220px-Doughopkins.png (69KB, 220x449px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Doughopkins.png
69KB, 220x449px
this guy wrote all the hit songs for Gin Blossoms, and also formed the band. He had a drinking problem, so the band decided to kick him to the curb. Not only that, but they withheld money from him until he signed away his rights to the catalogue that he wrote on his own. After hits like Hey Jealousy and Found Out About You went platinum along with their debut album, they sent him the platinum record. He then blew his brains out. The band never got a hit after he died, so I guess that's karma.
>>
John Fahey was sexually abused by his father and spent most of his life drunk in a bum hotel with a smashed up guitar his girlfriend had swung at him. He was perpetually dissatisfied and hated most of the music he'd recorded.
>>
File: artists_frank05.jpg (224KB, 500x727px) Image search: [Google]
artists_frank05.jpg
224KB, 500x727px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_C._Frank
>>
>>70821010
Why?
>>
>>70822774

>life filled with unimaginable traumatic horrors completely out of his control
>one of handful of convincing white blues singers

Really makes you drink
>>
File: scot.jpg (49KB, 768x805px) Image search: [Google]
scot.jpg
49KB, 768x805px
His last performances on Youtube just show that he had no life left in him and was just waiting for death to take him. Weiland is what Kurt Cobain and Layne Staley would've been like today if they were still around today, fucked up on drugs and completely dead on the inside
>>
>>70822001
j is magical human being and redirects the depressions energy to his fingers and throat
>>
File: A-156406-1451398702-4294.jpeg.jpg (6KB, 202x300px) Image search: [Google]
A-156406-1451398702-4294.jpeg.jpg
6KB, 202x300px
>>
>>70822001

Elliott def stabbed himself

Courtney def got Kurt assassinated

J achieved enlightenment after suffering for so long and happens to be a melodic genius who can transfer that through his guitar playing
>>
File: fQARWaB.png (547KB, 500x692px) Image search: [Google]
fQARWaB.png
547KB, 500x692px
Dead
>>
Future:
Mother worked full time as a phone operator for the police, struggling to keep herself and her son on their feet but nonetheless intended to keep him away from the criminal lifestyle he was surrounded by. Her efforts were in vain however because he was influenced by his uncle and started selling dope, leading to his mum kicking him out and leaving him to live on the streets from the age of 17.

Lil Wayne:
Father abandoned him and his mum when he was only young. His mother found a new partner who happily took the role of Dwayne Jr's father figure until he was murdered, when Dwayne was aged only 14 years old. He also shot himself in the chest by accident.

I figured people would bitch about rapper posting so I lumped a couple together. Plus their lives both became pretty great very early in life.
>>
>>70825141
How do you stab yourself in the heart twice man I don't understand
>>
File: Ritchie Valens.jpg (11KB, 173x308px) Image search: [Google]
Ritchie Valens.jpg
11KB, 173x308px
Died at 17
If not for anything else that is depressing
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (187KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
187KB, 1920x1080px
>be really attractive country superstar
>still be a worthless sack of shit addicted to drugs and booze
>>
>>70825549
you just have to be really angry
>>
File: trent-sm.jpg (12KB, 241x272px) Image search: [Google]
trent-sm.jpg
12KB, 241x272px
>CTRL + F
>Trent
>0/0

C'mon now

>Left by his parents, raised by his grandmother
>Lived in a poor place
>Medical depression
>Got addicted to coke and booze
>Rejected
>First song he ever wrote "Down In It" was about suicide, video clip also hints at this.
>After his success from TDS his world just life just got worse
>His grandmother dies
>His friend dies out of drugs
>He almost dies by confusing heroine for coke, over-dossing

Hopefully he's doing okay now, the extreme dark contents of the new EP has me kidna worried, (it is an amazing EP though)
>>
>>70821489
also inspired one of my favorite tracks of last year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-YWVGJIHcs
>>
File: cover.jpg (42KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
42KB, 300x300px
>abusive father
>brother committed suicide
>bassist committed suicide
>addicted to heroin
>died from half a dozen diseases and conditions
>>
>>70825639
being an angsty fucktard =/= genuinely depressing life
>>
>>70825721
>Medical depression
>medical
>angsty fucktard

I don't see how these work, you memer.
>>
>>70825639
looks like a generic junkie
>>
File: 30EASTMAN3-facebookJumbo.jpg (91KB, 1050x550px) Image search: [Google]
30EASTMAN3-facebookJumbo.jpg
91KB, 1050x550px
>Despondent about what he saw as a dearth of worthy professional opportunities, Eastman grew increasingly dependent on drugs (including alcohol and possibly crack cocaine) after 1983. His life fell apart; many of his scores were impounded by the New York City Sheriff's Office following an eviction in the early 1980s, further impeding his professional development. While homeless, he briefly took refuge in Tompkins Square Park. A promised lectureship at Cornell University also failed to materialize during this period.

>Despite a temporary attempt at a comeback, Eastman died alone at the age of 49 in Millard Fillmore Hospital in Buffalo, New York of cardiac arrest. No public notice was given to his death until an obituary by Kyle Gann appeared in the Village Voice; it was dated January 22, 1991, eight months after Eastman died.[4] As Eastman's notational methods were loose and open to interpretation, revival of his music has been a difficult task, dependent on people who worked with him.
>>
>>70825826
fuck. poor bastard. what a genius
>>
File: Staley01.jpg (49KB, 879x600px) Image search: [Google]
Staley01.jpg
49KB, 879x600px
>>
>>70825639
How do you not know about him now if you knew about him then?
He got clean, and he's like a billionaire now from all the movies and Apple and shit, he's jacked as fuck and has a wife and kid(s).
>>
>>70826115
I bet he is much happier than he ever was, but I don't want to just point and go "look how happy he totally is" because you can never know what is going behind the doors and you never actually will. Trent does sound like he is doing much better now, but I am not sure if you can ever be absolutely certain with anything.
>>
>>70825549
Your brain and muscles don't stop working as soon as you are fatally wounded like he was. I've also heard that when you try to stab yourself, you are usually in a mood where you are really determined to kill yourself.
He had some amphetamines, benzos and antidepressants before he did it. Might have made him more willing and fearless to do it.
His gf might have contributed to his death by pulling out the knife and exacerbating blood loss, but I'm pretty certain it wasn't on purpose, more like she wanted to help and did that on a whim in that chaotic situation.
Anyway, he was really depressed and his music was always sad. It's not very surprising that he commited suicide.
>>
File: Reznor (2).jpg (120KB, 700x467px) Image search: [Google]
Reznor (2).jpg
120KB, 700x467px
>"I don't know why I wanted to do these things, other than my desire to escape from Small Town, U.S.A., to dismiss the boundaries, to explore. It isn't a bad place where I grew up, but there was nothing going on but the cornfields. My life experience came from watching movies, watching TV and reading books and looking at magazines. And when your culture comes from watching TV every day, you're bombarded with images of things that seem cool, places that seem interesting, people who have jobs and careers and opportunities. None of that happened where I was. You're almost taught to realize it's not for you."
>>
File: 0_1d3edf_b9e15a44_orig.jpg (60KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
0_1d3edf_b9e15a44_orig.jpg
60KB, 612x612px
>>70826115

>"I'm not happy, don't worry. Everything isn't fixed, but there's a functional human being at the helm, for a change. There was a time when I would draw on depression and the romantic notion of the dark side as an inspiration - how low can I go? I thought I'd reached the bottom a few times, but then I'd realise there was another 30 floors of despair below that... and I have no desire to return to that."
>>
ninfags are the worst
>>
>>70825601
He had lost his long term memory from a useless treatment that didn't cure his crippling bipolar disorder, I think he is justified for getting fucked up
>>
File: Isaac Brock.jpg (106KB, 658x647px) Image search: [Google]
Isaac Brock.jpg
106KB, 658x647px
I don't know if his life as a whole counts but he's had a few tragic incidences for sure.
>>
>>70827424
waaahhhhhh
>>
>>70827047
wahhhhhhhhh

i make millions of dollars making stupid bleeps and live in a mansion and hot chicks want to bang me every second of the day but I grew up in a boring average town surrounded by people that work boring jobs wahhhhhhh im so sad
>>
File: DanielJohnston_2.jpg (42KB, 697x567px) Image search: [Google]
DanielJohnston_2.jpg
42KB, 697x567px
It probably enhances or emphasizes the music he recorded.
>>
>>70827116
waaaahhhh

im so depressed that movie directors want to pay me millions of dollars to make dumb goink bloop bleep doing noises waahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh its so depressing being a millionaire that gets to fuck around with musical toys all day waaaahhhhhhhh
>>
>>70827564
>>70827604
>unironically typing this out
sounds like envy. are you surprised that people enjoy musicians and some musicians experience success?
>>
File: RokyErickson.jpg (221KB, 675x430px) Image search: [Google]
RokyErickson.jpg
221KB, 675x430px
>have schizophrenia so strong from psychotic mother and too much LSD that you have to put 5 TVs and 14 radios on at the same time in the room to drown out all the voices
>>
>>70827631
hey trent, you're a fag
>>
>>70827515
edgy
>>
>>70823666
what other good white blues artists are there?
>>
desu
>>
File: Jackie-Wilson-photo-1.jpg (120KB, 650x793px) Image search: [Google]
Jackie-Wilson-photo-1.jpg
120KB, 650x793px
>shot by crazy fan resulted in lost kidney
>gave power of attorney to his manager who took all of his money and owed him more than 1mil
>son shot dead on doorstep
>both daughters died, one of heart attack and one from drugs
>heart attack on stage
>died in coma
>>
>>70822734
The part in his autobiography about the sexual abuse are really fucked up.
>>
>>70827424
Yeah, he was from a well off Texan oil family, so his family made him undergo extensive electroshock therapy to treat his depression. It fucked his whole memory. He basically went out and didn't join the family business and ended up in near poverty his whole life.
>>
File: django-reinhardt-9454889-2-raw.jpg (60KB, 620x609px) Image search: [Google]
django-reinhardt-9454889-2-raw.jpg
60KB, 620x609px
Django was born a Gypsy, having to steal chickens to get by. After learning guitar he got into a fire when burnt off two of his fingers and paralyzed a leg. Doctor told he he would never play guitar again (and never walk either) but he overcame both, playing with just 3 fingers. Then during WW2 he was constantly in hiding because Germans hated gypsy's and would kill them. On top of that they hated Jazz which was banned in Germany, so he had to play in secret.
>>
File: Roy Orbison.jpg (12KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Roy Orbison.jpg
12KB, 250x250px
>born to poor family in great depression
>first wife was hit by a truck while they were out riding bikes and she died, also causing severe writers' block
>2 years later his house burns down killing 2 of his 3 sons
>5 years later his brother died in an autowreck while coming to visit him
>career ends up stalling
>in the late eighties start experience a comeback with travelling wilburys, solo hits etc.
>die in 1988 at the age of 52 cutting off that opportunity
>>
>>70828641
absolute madman
>>
File: woody_2753631b.jpg (50KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
woody_2753631b.jpg
50KB, 620x387px
Woody Guthrie

>home burned down when he was young
>sister died in another fire when he was 7
>father severely burnt in yet another fire
>mother suffered from Huntington's disease
>she was institutionalised when he was 14
>died when he was 18
>had to live alone with his siblings
>had to beg meals by the time he was 14
>left his new family behind to try and make money
>divorced wife
>forced to join the Merchant Marine in WWII
>aboard when first ship hit a mine
>aboard when another ship was torpedoed
>married again
>daughter died in a fire when she was 4
>diagnosed with Huntington's at 40
>second wife divorced him
>arm injured in a campfire accident meaning he could never play guitar again
>third wife divorced him
>had to be hospitalised
>son died when Woody was 50
>stayed there for 11 years until he died aged 55
>>
File: williams-hank-521f8ffa80776.jpg (530KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
williams-hank-521f8ffa80776.jpg
530KB, 1920x1080px
>>
File: lennon.jpg (9KB, 214x317px) Image search: [Google]
lennon.jpg
9KB, 214x317px
>born to drunken slut, father not around
>age 5, father reappears and kidnaps you
>mother finds you, forces you to choose between them
>choose mother and go home with her
>mother immediately gives you to your aunt
>brought up by cold, emotionally distant aunt
>allegedly abused by uncle
>teenager, finally start getting to know mother
>she gets knocked down and killed by a car
>best friend dies of brain haemorrage
>be in the biggest band of all time, still unhappy
>take a shit ton of drugs to block out the pain
>manager dies
>easily manipulated by scheming japanese bitch
>spend the 70s lying in bed depressed
>finally get it together and release new album in 1980
>get shot
>>
me :(
>>
>>70830390

its also assumed that he killed his "best friend" by punching him during an argument after a beatles gig. dude had brain problems ever since then, and later died from the brain hemorrhage
>>
>>70820888
>I fucking LOVE Blind Willie Johnson. Tell me his story anon. Pu-pu-pweeease

He was blinded as a child because his step-mother threw lye in his face in revenge for a beating Blind Willie's father had given her.

>What song? Is it Dark was the Night, Cold was the Ground?

Yes.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.