[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

33⅓ Series

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: 9781628921083.jpg (28KB, 420x575px) Image search: [Google]
9781628921083.jpg
28KB, 420x575px
Where can I find this series? I searched the archive but so far I've only found incomplete collections. Mainly looking for the book on "Tago Mago" right now, but a complete set would be even better.

For those who have read a couple of them, what do you think? Any favorites?
>>
why woudl you eread this
>>
>>70800130
Why wouldn't I?
>>
>>70800086
Trust me, do not bother with the Tago Mago one. It's absolutely fucking terrible. I found it in a record store, and seeing as it's one of my favourite albums of all time, I bought it.

Holy shit. The author literally talks about how he found one of Can's later albums (I think the one with the wrench on it?) when he was like 14 in 1977 or whatever. He talks about how being a kid in the middle of nowhere in Scotland was really difficult for finding music. He talks about pretty much anything BUT Tago Mago for 90% of the book.

Then the last 10% is him going "ugh how cool is this album also notice the bit at 3:46 in halleluwah you can hear how they edited it oh but try not to hear it because then youll always hear it and it will ruin it". Absolutely fucking terrible.

On the other hand, the Trout Mask Replica one is absolutely amazing. Slint's Spiderland is very good too, but if you've seen the documentary from the other year, it's basically the exact same information. In The Aeroplane Over The Sea is good too.
>>
They're all on soulseek, just search "33 1/3".

For those who have read them, what are the best ones? I heard Spiderland was great.
>>
>>70800395
the whole series is notoriously inconsistent in quality isn't it?
>>
The quality varies so much it's not even funny.

My favourite one is Minutemen's Double Nickels on the Dime. Great analysis and exclusive interviews with Mike Watt and George Hurley.

I read the Endtroducing one though and the author spent more time talking about himself and his love of the album.
>>
>>70800395
Thanks for saving me the time, then.

Yeah, I read the Spiderland one, long after having seen the documentary, still loved the book.
>>
>>70800436
Yeah, that's one of the main criticisms of the series.

>>70800451
I just grabbed it and skimmed through it. The first line of the second chapter is actually "So this is a little book not just about - or, dare I say, not actually about - the 1971 double album by the 'German' rock group Can"

Blunder.
>>
File: 1466990801208.jpg (23KB, 351x480px) Image search: [Google]
1466990801208.jpg
23KB, 351x480px
33⅓ Slint's Spiderland by Scott Tennent

https://mega.nz/#!PtN3jRqD!N1oG2eYvMn2QpUPCioGZjqIQpsF7XzdFLuFC6_WzLzY
>>
>>70800436

Yes, but it's easy to tell which ones are good. Basically read the back and flip through, and if it's obviously just a memoir then don't buy it. Only buy if it has actual information about artist's history, the recording, and the music.
>>
File: why is this a png.png (139KB, 354x357px) Image search: [Google]
why is this a png.png
139KB, 354x357px
>>70800498
>"So this is a little book not just about - or, dare I say, not actually about - the 1971 double album by the 'German' rock group Can"
>>
>>70800570
That's among the best of the series
>>
>>70800570
>33⅓ Slint's Spiderland by Scott Tennent
>https://mega.nz/#!PtN3jRqD!N1oG2eYvMn2QpUPCioGZjqIQpsF7XzdFLuFC6_WzLzY

33 1/3 Slint Spiderland 3313 331/3 mega download book Scott Tennent

For posterity
>>
>>70800825
Really couldn't have asked for a better examination of every member behind the band. Reading it makes me appreciate Slint even more than I already did.
>>
>>70800086
I enjoyed the Beat Happening one, one of my favorite albums, really enjoyable read
>>
>>70800086
Does anyone have the Unknown Pleasures one that Chris Ott wrote?
>>
File: 1485720506968.gif (607KB, 187x220px) Image search: [Google]
1485720506968.gif
607KB, 187x220px
>>70800498
>"So this is a little book not just about - or, dare I say, not actually about - the 1971 double album by the 'German' rock group Can"

How the fuck did this Alan Warner cocksucker get away with this?
>>
>>70800086
what I've read:

Grace - mostly well-known stuff about Buckley's writing style and influences, and his relationship or lackthereof with his father, but really well written
Dummy - went into a lot of depth about the Bristol music scene and how they used their samples, really good if you're interested in production and whatnot
( ) - didn't talk much about the album, focused on the fact that Jónsi sings nonsense syllables so went on about Dada and other nonsense poetry and some - at times - confusing linguistic theories, as a Geography student doing bullshit cultural theory stuff I loved it - but I can see why a lot of people wouldn't
Swordfishtrombones - might be my favourite so far, maybe somewhat basic info on the surface about his life, Kathleen, and writing style but the author was very engaging and very funny and is definitely to be read as someone telling you how much they like the artist - only thing I would say is that it wasn't so much about Swordfishtrombones as it was about the whole Frank trilogy and Big Time, so if you want a Rain Dogs one this isn't too far off

and I have If You're Feeling Sinister to read
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.