[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rap is about listening not being "lit"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_0050.jpg (72KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0050.jpg
72KB, 750x750px
I see this too many times where people misuse the meaning of hip hop and or rap. Hip hop's elements consist of mc'ing and dj'ing, when these two elements combine they complement each other and become rap. However there are many "artists" that lack in lyrical ability and are still being considered rap, most seen with trap. Many actual rappers will tell you that these new age so called "rappers" shouldn't be considered hip hop at all. Too me and many others, rap has to lyrically enriched. Which is why many people do not consider these new so called "rappers," rappers.

Don't go around saying trap is rap or even a sub genre of hip hop. As it doesn't fit the elements of hip hop. So in my eyes, Kanye isn't a rapper, he tries to, but he is lyrically handicapped. And I don't understand how death grips even snuck its way into being considered hip hop, probably because the vocals guy calls himself an MC when he isn't. The instrumentals in death grip songs aren't in any way hip hop beats. And basically bad rappers aren't rappers, as rap has to be good lyrically. As much as I love 50 Cent, he isn't a rapper. Chance the rapper isn't a rapper, he's a crippled retard. Childish gambino isn't a rapper, and j cole isn't a rapper.

Get out of my genre faggot
>>
hip hop beats are root in sampling and dg samples
so suck it
>>
>>70794976
Everything has samples b quiet, I'm not going to say a pop song with drum samples is hip hop
>>
>>70794837
Yeah, rap gets a bad rep because of mainstream like 21 faggot, any people that fail to expand their tastes on /mu/ from pretentious indie rock thinks it's garbage #feelsbadman
>>
>>70795007
21 faggot isn't a rap guy, but thanks buddo, pic related show a taste in music xddddddddddddddf
>>
>>70794837
Nobody cares. Trap is an evolution of rap just like metal was to rock. There is overlap because we draw stylistic lines to classify sequences of sound, but you're really just being a semantic little bitch with your authenticity shtick right now.

>And basically bad rappers aren't rappers

What's the second word in "bad rapper"?
I don't return to threads btw
>>
>>70794837
Kanye is pop.
>>
>>70796793
>evolution
>>
>>70794837
Hip Hop lyrics were never that special. The style of delivery has changed but they're saying the same things. Pick up a book.
>>
>>70798010
>Hip Hop lyrics were never that special

"No."
>>
>>70794837
>Trap rap isn't real rap

Yeah, I get what you mean.

>Kanye's lyrics suck

Lol True.

>Death Grips isn't rap

What.

>50 Cent, Chance the Rapper, Childish Gambino, J Cole aren't rappers

You lost me here. I'll just assume this is some new bait.
>>
>>70799590
>nigguh nigguh nigguh shootan up dose nigguhs gangstas
Wow, so special
>>
>muh definitions
>>
>>70799741
Still no. Rap has always been about the lyrics, the wordplay.
>>
>>70799835
Read some actual poetry. The wordplay in hip hop has always been more about playing with words than actually using them in any meaningful way other than the most surface level way possible. Nas has Doctor Seuss level depth. Rappers still use wordplay, and it's still as deep as shallow as it ever was
>>
>>70800201
>Read some actual poetry

Why? It's not as if it's inherently better or worse than hip-hop. Or are you somehow under the impression there's never been a bad poet?

> The wordplay in hip hop has always been more about playing with words
Yes.

I've never listened to Nas. Your bias is showing. Try some Aceyalone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwVNp42l3Xo
>>
>rap
>genre
>>
File: Eminem.png (180KB, 336x327px)
Eminem.png
180KB, 336x327px
I've been a huge fan of hip hop for years, I'm practically a scholar.

Hip hop for the most part is dead. We have a few good acts here and there- Run the jewels, Eminem still drops dope rhymes, and Slaughterhouse are lyrical beasts especially Royce and Crooked.

As I said though, everybody just wants a banging beat to make their car's bass vibrate and impress girls. Or to go to the club and use the love hits like Drake to seduce women.

Rap is fucking dead. I blame those 1990s faggots.
>>
>>70800311
You're a scholar? And you say hip-hop is dead? Man shut up. If you've been listening to this shit for even 2 fucking years you'd know the underground never dies.
>>
>>70800327

Real hip hop, coming from the streets of oppression, is dead. Big L is dead. Tupac is dead.
>>
>>70800371
>Real hip hop
Goddamn it's been years since I've read those words scrunched together. Just as stupid now as it was then.
>coming from the streets of oppression, is dead.
Yeah you're right.
>>
>>70800391

Ok. You can argue shit is still alive, but I'd disagree. Everything has changed- the way movies are made, the way videogames are programmed, society has changed.

The old ways are all dead and everybody is moving past it. I'd rather just stay in my bubble, I'm 27, I don't want to hear these new age club bangers.
>>
File: 1376377680670.jpg (35KB, 476x427px)
1376377680670.jpg
35KB, 476x427px
>>70800277

>>Read some actual poetry
>Why? It's not as if it's inherently better or worse than hip-hop.

You're right, there is no way Dante's work is inherently better than any hip-hop lyricist. It's all, like, PERSPECTIVES, man.

I love hip-hop for the record, but you are trying to intellectually fetishize aspects of popular music because you can't be assed doing some serious reading. And the end of the day it's all popular music. The mainstream and underground alike.

Literature is an active medium. Music is passive. There is a substantive difference. Cope with your denial.
>>
>>70800423
You're not wrong. Movies are more run-of-the-mill than they ever have been. I don't listen to the club bangers either, but how many 2016 hip-hop records did you listen to, y'know? It's the same argument I hear when people say "post-rock is dead" There was 120 some albums of post-rock released in 2015, and I don't know anybody that's listened to 10 of them. Same logic for hip-hop.

>>70800466
Why are you talking about Dante? Are you somehow saying that every poet that ever lived has managed to create something equivalent to his works? That's ludicrous, and stupid.

> but you are trying to intellectually fetishize

I ain't intellectualizing a damn thing, my man. One guy said "hip hop lyrics were never that special." I replied "no," because that is simply not the case. There are hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of stanzas to disprove such a claim, and I shouldn't have to pull out any of them to do that. If you're a PASSING listener of late 80s and all 90s hip-hop you know the statement "hip hop lyrics were never that special" is a false one. I don't need to read any Lucille Clifton to know that. Not that Lucille Clifton is one of the greatest poets or anything, because not everyone can be Dante.

>Literature is an active medium

Again, you make it seem like there aren't bad or waste of time books just like there are bad or waste of time hip-hop albums. C'mon Young Caesar I mean Marcus oh shit my bad.
>>
>>70794837

Chance the Rapper has "Rapper" in his name, he is a RAPPER. Fucking checkmate
>>
File: Peewee Longway.png (124KB, 250x307px) Image search: [Google]
Peewee Longway.png
124KB, 250x307px
>>70800522

>C'mon Young Caesar I mean Marcus oh shit my bad.

I'm 29. It's not my fault you're a dullard, son.

Read more or don't. But don't start these navel-gazing threads because you can't be fucked reading regularly and expect anon to placate you and your intellectually lackadaisical horseshit.

Popular music is popular music. Try to accept this. You don't need to be in denial about this.
>>
>>70800633
>I'm 29
What relevancy does this hold, man?
>But don't start these navel-gazing threads
I'm not OP. I didn't even read the OP. I was browsing and saw: >>70798010
>Popular music is popular music
I agree. What does this have to do with anything?
>>
>>70800678

>What relevancy does this hold, man?

Figured that Marcus line was a jab that I was some precocious youngster or something.
>>
>>70800699
It was a reference to that Fifty Cent movie from 2005.
>>
>>70800711

Ah. Never saw it 2 b desu.
>>
>>70794837
>Hip hop's elements consist of mc'ing and dj'ing, when these two elements combine they complement each other and become rap
wow i didn't know dancehall, ragga, grime and dub reggae were actually rap!!
>>
is j dilla hip hop?
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.