[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reminder that these are NOT real music instruments.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 224
Thread images: 11

File: Electronic instruments.jpg (193KB, 810x1081px) Image search: [Google]
Electronic instruments.jpg
193KB, 810x1081px
Reminder that these are NOT real music instruments.
>>
>>70782746
That's not sequencing software, that's a notation software.
>>
I see. And how is it that they are not real music instruments?
>>
damn
>>
Is mayonnaise an instrument
>>
>>70782839
If you can get a sound out of it, yes.
>>
pretty sure e-kits are becoming more industry standard

why fuck around with acoustic micing when you can perfect dynamics etc. dgitially
>>
>>70782746
But they look like real music instruments...
>>
Sick burn OP
>>
>>70782839

Scott Walker would say so.
>>
>>70782746
>a piano isn't an instrument
epic
>>
Just don't reply to obvious bait threads people.
>>
File: 869.jpg (34KB, 330x365px) Image search: [Google]
869.jpg
34KB, 330x365px
>>
>>70782746
They exist, they're real, they make sounds. It's just another technological advance in instruments (at one point a piano was the highest technological advance). Stop the trolling.
>>
>>70782798
>implying there's no sequencing software that uses classical music notation
>>
>>70782985
Classical music notation? Are you fucking gay?
>>
>>70782746
>visual display unit
lel
>>
>>70782746
tell me the difference between a string vibrating's frequencies and synthetic ones made by electrons
>>
>listening to 'real' instruments
Go to sleep gramps.
>>
>>70783007
classical in the sense of traditional, anon
>>
>>70783047
traditional? are you fucking gay?
>>
Laptop, samplers and turntables > geetahs, drums
>>
>>70783025
Even a guitar string contain electrons
>>
File: Gibson_Les_Paul_54_Custom.jpg (5KB, 90x250px) Image search: [Google]
Gibson_Les_Paul_54_Custom.jpg
5KB, 90x250px
>>70783231
Not only that, but all electric guitars are technically synths.

>An electric guitar is a fretted string instrument that uses a pickup to convert the vibration of its strings—which are typically made of steel, and which occurs when a guitarist strums, plucks or fingerpicks the strings—into electrical signals. The vibrations of the strings are sensed by a pickup, of which the most common type is the magnetic pickup, which uses the principle of direct electromagnetic induction. The signal generated by an electric guitar is too weak to drive a loudspeaker, so it is plugged into a guitar amplifier before being sent to a loudspeaker, which makes a sound loud enough to hear. The output of an electric guitar is an electric signal, and the signal can easily be altered by electronic circuits to add "color" to the sound or change the sound. Often the signal is modified using effects such as reverb and distortion and "overdrive", with the latter being a key element of the sound of the electric guitar as it is used in blues and rock music.

So, the vibrations of the strings are converted into electrical signals. Quite similar to playing the keys of a synth (or operating its controls) and modifying the electrical signals.
>>
>>70783480
no, retard

synth = sound synthesis

electronic amplification of a physical noise-maker is not sound synthesis
>>
>>70783480
quit misinforming the people on this board.
plus think about the kids on this board.
>>
Reminder that composing a song on a computer takes only 5 minutes in all cases and is pretty much automatic desu.
>>
>>70783551
I know this is bait but it makes me sad that some people actually believe this
>>
>>70782746
John Cage would find you very amusing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXOIkT1-QWY
>>
>>70783480
bullshit
>>
>>70783508
>>70783537
Stop it, idiots. Synths are sound generators using electrical current to "encode" the sound waves, guitars are also sound generators using electrical current to "encode" the sound waves. The big difference is how you initiate those sound waves (e.g. by playing the keys of a synth or by strumming the strings of a guitar).

BTW you could make guitars to sound like synths and synths to sound like guitars. Guitars also have various controls (tone, volume, tremolo bar, pedals) to control the signal, just like synths have LFO, ADSR, Portamento, Filters, Cutoff frequency, Mod wheel, etc.

Stop being so fucking ignorant.
>>
>>70783627
you're either extremely stupid or baiting.
probably baiting.
>>
>>70783616
You too should read this >>70783627
>>
>>70783627
>Synths are sound generators using electrical current to "encode" the sound waves, guitars are also sound generators using electrical current to "encode" the sound waves.
You have no idea what you're talking about
>>
>>70783640
That's not an argument. Actually prove me wrong (arguments, not bullshit).
>>
Any recording that could be recorded with "real" instruments could also be synthesized with the right program (probably can't go in-depth enough today) and enough time and effort. All you're really doing when you're recording music is measuring a sound wave.
>>
>>70783627
Confirmed for being retarded.
>>
>>70783641
I still stand by my post
>>
>>70783659
Prove me wrong.

In meantime look how an electric guitar works:
>An electric guitar is a fretted string instrument that uses a pickup to convert the vibration of its strings—which are typically made of steel, and which occurs when a guitarist strums, plucks or fingerpicks the strings—into electrical signals.

See? The vibrations generated by strings are converted into electrical signals. The synths also work with electrical signals. The difference is that those signals are generated by oscillators and modified by the player (playing keys, filters, mod wheel, etc).
>>
>>70783661
>Actually prove me wrong
translation:
>teach me because I am too dumb / lazy to learn things myself

yeah, nah. you're being an asshole. ask nicely and maybe someone will take pity on you and teach you the difference. 2 minutes on wikipedia will prove you wrong.
>>
>>70783691
Hey guitar retard, prove me wrong. Could you??
>>
>>70783704
>The difference is that those signals are generated by oscillators
yeah that IS the difference, you massive fucking retard. oscillators generate ELECTRICAL SIGNALS not SOUNDS. guitar strings generate SOUNDS, i.e. vibrations in the air.

god you're retarded
>>
>>70783716
>backpedalling
You have nothing to say. Admit it, you're a guitarfag mad because I told that electric guitars are like synths. That's the truth!
>>
>>70783640
So you're saying an electric guitar sounds literally exactly like an acoustic one? It's only amplifying the sound and not changing the wave at all
>>
>>70783753
>>70783757
bait confirmed

move along folks
>>
>>70783735
>oscillators generate ELECTRICAL SIGNALS not SOUNDS. guitar strings generate SOUNDS, i.e. vibrations in the air.

You stupid fuck, but those vibrations, what happens to them after that??? Let me tell you: they're converted into electrical signals! AFTER THAT, it's like synths! You could modify them in every way. You could feed the guitar signal into a Korg MS-20 ffs!

Basically those vibrations act like the keys of a synth. You strum a guitar, create vibrations, these vibrations hit the pickup, the pickup convert them into electrical signals.

The guitars produce sounds INITIALLY, but right after that they're like synths.

What is your excuse now, dumbass?
>>
>>70783822
*converts
>>
>>70783822
You can record literally everything and after that it's like synths. So everything is a synth according to your logic.

The difference is that the vibrations arise by physical means, they are not synthesized.
>>
>>70783845
The electric guitars have the pickups (the vibrations -> electrical signals converters) included in the device. The pickups are PART of a guitar.

>The difference is that the vibrations arise by physical means, they are not synthesized.
The keys pressed on a synths also arise by physical means. They don't play by themselves, a human has to play them. Same as guitar: someone has to play the guitar. The strumming is just an initial step, after that there's some processing involved. It's not like an acoustic guitar where you could hear exactly the vibrations of the strings (unmodified). That processing is the most similar thing to synths (as I said, pedals, volume, tone, tremolo, etc).

Basically what I meant is what happens AFTER the strumming. And what happens if quite similar to synths. Come on people, use your damn minds.
>>
>>70783480
Synth literally means sound synthesis

I hope no one actually falls for this
>>
>>70783765
Literally no argument. This post is clearly wrong
>>70783508
there's a lot more going on in an electric guitar than pure amplification
>>
u kno what man? Music is an expression. your so condescending towards these people who are just trying to have a good time. These guys work hard and theyve been doing this for a long time, they rock and they put ther all into it. You just just sit behind your computer copying and pasting tacky outdated fonts from the internet with stupid images you googled while these guys are rockin out to the biggest circle pit ever and probably getting a buncha chicks afterwards. Get a life dude u clearly need 1
>>
>>70784083
MoDP is a good page desu
>>
>>70784047
And what is sound synthesis? Perhaps modifying existing sound (generated by oscillators) stored as electrical signal into something else using filters and stuff? How it's that different than modifying existing sound (generated by strumming strings) stored as electric signal into something else using pedals, tremolo bars and stuff?
>>
>>70783993
>>70783993
>The keys pressed on a synths also arise by physical means. They don't play by themselves, a human has to play them.

you're retarded beyond belief

lmao
>>
>>70784182
Not an argument, retard
>>
When these dumb fuckers have no arguments they start personal attacks. Isn't that interesting?? No arguments and yet they have a big mouth.
>>
>>70784200
>>70784227
you've been proven wrong multiple times

kill yourself autist
>>
File: so_well.png (22KB, 275x200px) Image search: [Google]
so_well.png
22KB, 275x200px
>>70782746
You're a fucking retard for caring so much and having such a narrow mindset of what's an instrument. Go die in a fire you close-minded faggot.
>>
>>70784241
Where I was proven wrong, autist??

>you're retarded beyond belief
it's not proving wrong, unless you're a dipshit
>>
>>70783735
>oscillators generate ELECTRICAL SIGNALS not SOUNDS. guitar strings generate SOUNDS, i.e. vibrations in the air.
most electric guitars use magnetic pickups so what is being amplified is not the vibrations in the air made by the strings but rather the electrical signals being made by the string oscillating over a magnet.
>>
>>70784291
THIS.

And these idiots keep insulting me when they're actually ignorant morons. It's pretty clear that an electric guitar is a kind of a simplified synth: it modifies an electrical signal (generated by the string oscillating over a magnet) using amplifiers, pedals, tremolo bars, whatever. Too stupid to understand BASIC things. Go to school you idiots and stop talking about things you don't understand.
>>
>>70784261
t.reddit
>>
>>70783659
No, he's right. A synth just send controlled burst of electricity out to a speaker that vibrates at a frequency matching that of the electrical impulses. He used shitty terminology to describe the process, but he's not wrong.
>>
Guitars are the only real instrument. They require people to play them to make sounds. Oh wait...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIMSbKU2oZM
>>
>>70784291
and? its still not waveform generated by a voltage or computer. the oscillation is physical. still not synthesized sound.

>>70784365
shut the fuck up, you're both an ignorant moron and an annoying autist who feels the need to reply every 2 seconds with his retarded bullshit
>>
>>70782746
The only real instruments are the human voice and hand clapping because they require no equipment or technology to make sounds. Everything that requires a piece of wood, metal, or plastic isn't a real instrument.
>>
>>70784453
I know how a synth works, he's retarded when he tried to claim that guitars work the same way.
>>
>>70784558
I said that a guitar is like a simplified synth. It's pretty obvious that a synth has more stuff in it than a guitar, but they both operate by modifying the sound which is stored as electrical signal. WTF it's so hard to understand, you dumbass?
>>
>>70784558
But they do. You vibrate a strig over an electromagnet. That electromagnet sends controlled bursts of electricity down the output, into the amp and the amp vibrates at a frequency matching the electrical impulses. How do you think they work?
>>
>>70784538
What is synthesized sound, idiot? What's the difference between the electrical signal of a synth and one from an electric guitar?
>>
>>70782746
Cool story bro. Reality is subjective.
>>
>>70783599
>John Cage would find you very amusing:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXOIkT1-QWY [Embed]
I watched all of that video and it wasn't music and those weren't instruments (apart from the piano).
He was just a troll.
>>
>>70783627
very very good bait my friend. 8.5/10
>>
>>70784629
>>70784645
>>70784663
modifying sound != synthesizing sound
you're a fucking moron, why is that so hard for you to understand? why can't your wrap your head around simple definitions? also why are you so fucking autistic that you need to reply to three posts saying the same meaningless shit you've said in all your other posts?
>>
>>70785189

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/synthesize

to form (a material or abstract entity) by combining parts or elements (opposed to analyze ):
to synthesize a statement.

So, strumming a guitar string, that's combined with the properties of a pickup to create an electrical signal, that's combined with the internal wiring of an amp to synthesize a sound.

A synthesizer as an instrument is called such because it synthesizes a sound by combining various electrical impulses from various oscilators.

What point are you trying to make?

On surface level, you're wrong, and in the semantic sense, you even more wrong.
>>
Everyone in this thread is retarded.
>>
>>70785350
Welcome to the club, retard.
>>
>>70782746
>muh plebby platonic way of categorising the world of pure difference
>>
>>70785322
"synthesize" when used in the dictionary is not the same thing as a "synthesizer" as in the electronic instrument

>synthesizes a sound by combining
No, my mentally challenged friend, its called a synthesizer because it artificially produces sound by non-physical means. Guitars produce sound by physical means. Both sounds are manipulated in similar ways, but that says nothing about how the sounds are produced.

Please, stop being an autistic retard.
>>
>>70785322
This
>>
File: bait_zelda.jpg (173KB, 1372x767px) Image search: [Google]
bait_zelda.jpg
173KB, 1372x767px
Well done OP.
>>
>>70785322
>that's combined with the internal wiring of an amp to synthesize a sound
... you're not serious right? You do know that amp stands for amplifier right? It doesnt synthesize anything, you can amplify a bird chirping. You think a bird chirping recording being played on speakers is a synthesizer ... ?
>>
>>70785189
Synthesizing sound is "cooking" sound, CREATING AND MODIFYING SOUND. You start from a sound source (the electrical signal produced the guitar pickups or oscillators) and modify it. That's the whole point of synthesizing sounds: creating and modifying sounds. The big difference between electric guitars and synths is at the creating stage (strumming strings that activate the pickups vs oscillators).

Got it, you bloody idiot fuck?
>>
>>70785676
Amplifying it's part of the sound processing / synthesizing, you fuckwit. If the input signal =/= output signal then there's processing involved. And amplifying modifies the input signal.
>>
>>70782746
>>70777777
>>
>>70785708
>modifying
>modifying
>modifying
wow, because according to the definition you posted above synthesis does not include modifying something which already exists. good job proving yourself wrong, retard.

>>70785756
sound processing isn't sound synthesis.

serious question: are you 13 years old? or autistic? or retarded? or a synthesis of all the above traits?
>>
>>70785708
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthesizer#Types_of_synthesis

Kill yourself/
>>
>>70785676
Yes, because every amp sounds exactly the same and doesn't flavour or add anything to the sound in any way whatsoever.
>>
>>70785708
>The big difference between electric guitars and synths is at the creating stage
>creating stage
oh you mean the actual sound synthesis?

... can you even hear how retarded you sound?
>>
>>70785859
see
>>70785809
fuckwit

modifying a signal is not the same as generating a signal, you would be able to understand that if you rubbed your grand total of two brain cells together for a few minutes
>>
>>70785874
the webster dictionary definition of "synthesize" is not the same thing as "synthesizer" as in the electronic musical instrument

OP is retarded because he thinks electric guitars are actually synthesizers and doesn't understand the difference in sound generation. my question was, if I have a set of stereo speakers that plays the recording of a bird chirping, you think I can call that a "synthesizer"? no, I wouldn't because I'm not autistic and retarded
>>
>>70785866
>oh you mean the actual sound synthesis?
You're an idiot. Do you think the sound synthesis starts and stops at the oscillators (the actual sound generators in a synth)? What about those other stages (LFO, freq, cutoff, filters, ADSR)? Aren't they part of sound synthesis???
>>
>>70785500
A synthesizer (often abbreviated as synth, also spelled synthesiser) is an electronic musical instrument that generates electric signals that are converted to sound through instrument amplifiers and loudspeakers or headphones.

So a guitar that creates an electrical signal through it's electromagnets in the pickup that then send those signals through a wire to an amp or loudspeaker or headphones. You're wrong, even by the instrument definition of synthesizer.
>>
>>70785941
>>70785874
>>70785859
stop samefagging to my posts. you're not going to win your retarded arguement by trying to be confusing.
>>
>>70785940
>if I have a set of stereo speakers that plays the recording of a bird chirping, you think I can call that a "synthesizer"?
What about electric guitars?

>because I'm not autistic and retarded
Don't deny it
>>
>>70785953
you're retarded.

synthesizer generates sound by non-physical (electronic) means. that's an agreed-upon definition.
>>
>>70785953
This. This idiot >>70785500 btfo completely.
>>
File: samefag.png (9KB, 707x119px) Image search: [Google]
samefag.png
9KB, 707x119px
>>70785957
The only one samefagging is you. You're yelling at a room of people that know more than you and are getting angry when they all tell you that you're wrong.
>>
>>70785981
Electric guitars are not synthesizers.

no argument can change that fact. its not a matter of opinion, its definition. kill yourself, autist
>>
>>70786008
>>70786010
0/10

please, nobody in the real world would make an argument as retarded as "electric guitars produce sound the same as synthesizers". its only on the internet that freakishly autistic morons like you can spout this garbage.
>>
>>70786012
Electric guitars are synthesizers.

no argument can change that fact. its not a matter of opinion, its definition. kill yourself, autist
>>
>>70786042
0/10
>>
>>70785991
The keys and buttons are the controllers of that synth that works with electricity internally.

The strings and pickups are the controllers of that electric guitar that works electricity internally.

Notice the similarity? Or do you still prefer to be wrong?
>>
>>70786067
0/10
>>
>>70786010
>know more than you
yeah and apparently you think you know more than the entire musical community and almost everyone on earth who knows what a synthesizer instrument is and what an electric guitar is. please post your marvellous opinion on the internet so everyone including myself can laugh at you.

>>70786042
epic bait xD
>>
>>70786099
the difference has already been addressed earlier in this thread. you're just repeating yourself.

inb4
>lol I'm just being retarded on purpose!!
>>
File: Jan16_PG_LNU_Vox_VSS-1-FRD_WEB.jpg (22KB, 630x221px) Image search: [Google]
Jan16_PG_LNU_Vox_VSS-1-FRD_WEB.jpg
22KB, 630x221px
So, uh, what do you autists call something like this?

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/23614-vox-unveils-the-starstream-type---modeling-guitar
>>
>>70786039
You idiot, I didn't say that electric guitars = synths. I said that TECHNICALLY guitars are like synths, considering how they WORK. Stop being such a huge contrarian moron and THINK for a moment.
>>
>piano is not an instrument
>this is what OP actually believes
>>
>electronic instruments aren't real instruments, all you have to do is press a button and sound comes out
>guitars aren't real instruments, all you have to do is pluck strings and sound comes out
>>
>>70786153
yeah, and they work differently, retard

>durr i dont understand the difference between voltage or digital oscillators generating signals and a physical string being plucked to vibrate and have its physical vibrations picked up electromagnetically, durr but both have the word "electric" in them so they must be tha same XDDD
>>
>>70786039
this desu senpai
>>
>>70786195
if I use an oscilating electromagnet to stimulate the electromagnet in a guitar pickup with no touching of strings or any physical contact with the guitar, what does that make it?
>>
Why keyboard is not an instrument but piano is?
>>
>>70786140
They both work with electricity and they both modify the input sound. The pickups of a guitar generate signal in the same way the oscillators of a synths generate signal. After that, the pedals and filters/LFOs/ASDR, respectively, modify the signal.

Basically the electric guitars and synths are very similar in the why they work with the sound.
>>
>>70786195
>>70786229
>>
>>70786229
>>70786223
>The pickups of a guitar generate signal in the same way the oscillators of a synths generate signal.
why are the technologically illiterate posting on things they have no idea about?
>>
>>70786250
that is not a counter argument, that is just repeating what I already addressed in that post.

you have a very special kind of autism, anon
>>
>>70782746
how tf do wind synths even have a place in this image. talk about obscure.
>>
>>70786257
How is it different? Instrument make electricity, electricity make speaker move, speaker move make sound. Simple enough for you?
>>
>>70783551
Make something in 5 minutes and show us how easy it is :^)
>>
>>70786229
>The pickups of a guitar generate signal in the same way the oscillators of a synths generate signal.
really then how come you can't control the base waveform of an electric guitar? Oh that's right because its determined by the string's physical vibration, and not controlled electronically, you mental fuck-up.
>>
>>70786195
How they work differently? Are they working with electricity? Yes. Are they modifying the sound? Yes. Could you feed the signal of a guitar into a synth and viceversa? Yes. WTF do you want more?

You're stumbling on details, like you have to strum a guitar in order to create sound. What about synths that you need to press keys to start the actual sound generation? It's the same fucking principle!
>>
>>70784059
>there's a lot more going on in an electric guitar than pure amplification

no there isn't you fucking retard. there isn't even amplification. the amplifier you use is what applies any changes to the sound.
>>
>>70786289
>durr how is painting different from movie? both make image by light come into eyes, durr theyre the same!!!

yeah read the posts above you which have alraedy explained the different and/or stop trolling this hard
>>
>>70786325
already been explained, I'm sorry you're too stupid to understand it

>like you have to strum a guitar in order to create sound. What about synths that you need to press keys to start the actual sound generation? It's the same fucking principle!
no way this isn't a troll
>>
>>70786345
You just agreed with me. They are the same thing. Just because one shows 24 paintings a second doesn't mean they're any different. Just like how a synth with 24 oscilators is no different than an electric guitar with one. It just puts a lot more pressure on the guitar/panting to make that one image/oscilator sound good.
>>
>>70786325
>It's the same fucking principle!
No, its not. Strumming the string actually generates the sound which is picked up and converted into an electrical signal. Pressing a key on a keyboard just tells the oscillator at what frequency to generate its waveshape. You can control a synthesizer with a mouse, or with non-physical methods like a computer. You can't control a guitar with a computer, there NEEDS to the be the physical sound-generating component (the string) for it to function. I don't even know why I'm replying to someone this dumb.
>>
>>70786418
>painting is no different from a movie
>electric guitars have oscillators
this is some top tier bait
>>
>>70786313
>Oh that's right because its determined by the string's physical vibration, and not controlled electronically,
Technicalities! It doesn't matter how it's controlled the base waveform, fuckwit. You get an input signal and modify it. That's sound synthesis. Nowhere it's required to start from a base waveform. There's FM synthesis, additive synthesis, etc too, not just subtractive synthesis.
>>
>>70786418
>You just agreed with me. They are the same thing.
... do you have brain damage?
>>
File: ignorebait.png (82KB, 1300x892px) Image search: [Google]
ignorebait.png
82KB, 1300x892px
>>70782746
>>
>>70786471
>gets proven wrong
>"Durr technicalities!!!"
shut the fuck up sperglord
>>
>>70782746
okay thank you
>>
>>70786458
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/oscillator

a device for producing alternating current; especially : a radio-frequency or audio-frequency generator

Oh, kind of like a string vibrating over an electromagnet creating an alternating current. Learn your definitions.
>>
>>70786505
>gets proven wrong
In your dumb mind, honey!
>>
>megabait poster getting way more replies than the weak OP bait image
Excellent!
>>
>>70786508
This!
>>
>>70786508
>durr how do words werrrrkkk
>durr according to webster tehcniccally akshully a rocking chair is an oscillator so a rocking chair is a synthesizer!!!!
kek
>>
>>70786508
This is some autism if I've ever seen it
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIPriH83gNM

Hey look, it's all the electronic parts of a guitar being played with no strings, no human manipluation, just electronicly stimulating the electromagnets of the pickup. Plop that bad boy back into a guitar and, QED, guitar being used to synthesize sounds with no string vibration generating sound.
>>
>>70786508
http://sequence15.blogspot.com/2008/02/how-vco-works.html

1. Read this.
2. Never make a post this stupid again.
>>
>>70786428
>Strumming the string actually generates the sound which is picked up and converted into an electrical signal. Pressing a key on a keyboard just tells the oscillator at what frequency to generate its waveshape.
It doesn't matter WHO generates the sound, but WHAT the device is doing with that sound. The RESULT matters: an electrical signal is generated and ten modified. Does it matter that you already got the signal from a guitar pickup or that an oscillator is doing that? That's a technicality, the principle is the same: a electrical signal is generated and processed.
>>
>>70786590
its still picking up an existing signal and converting it, not electronically creating a signal. if only you were smart enough to understand that distinction.
>>
Hopefully those contrarian fucks will see this >>70786590
>>
>>70786643
>>70786637
>>
>>70786637
>It doesn't matter WHO generates the sound, but WHAT the device is doing with that sound.
That's 100% what matters, you fuckwit. If that were true than the analogy of an iPod being played in your car speakers is a synthesizer.

A synthesizer doesn't have to modify its sound either. It can just be a tone generator, although its not very useful for much except maybe a metronome or drone for whatever purposes.
>>
>>70786660
>contrarian
uh the only contrarian thing is thinking an electric guitar is considered a synthesizer, which is beyond autistic. its pretty clear that you're trolling now, so I'm gonne leave this thread and hope the other poster(s?) also realize you're trolling and stop wasting their time.
>>
>>70786539
If you could hook up a magnet to the leg of said rocking chair and use it to stimulate a guitar pickup, yeah, it could be an oscilator.

People really need to dive into the experimental electronic scene more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEqv4jpL18I&list=FL9OyCVLvFVZjCTvbXB4khNg&index=164
>>
Let's say a synth A is fed with a signal produced by a synth B. Is that sound synthesis if the first synth didn't make the signal from scratch? Let's see how you solve this.
>>
>>70782746
A mousepad is an instrument you retard
>>
If I play an acoustic guitar into a microphone to a loudspeaker for the audience, is that string music or electronic music?
>>
>>70786718
Yes, because the sound is produced by nonphysical means.

You're retarded, because all synths are made of different components which do different jobs. It makes no difference if your oscillator is sending an electrical signal across the ocean by wire and being filtered by a VCF in China.
>>
>>70786710
They're both sound generators working with electricity and could modify that sound. Checkmate.
>>
The entire concept of what's a "real instrument" went out the window when people started making music on a cactus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeK-8ghoeFQ&list=FL9OyCVLvFVZjCTvbXB4khNg&index=1
>>
>>70786749
DURR u just turned your acoustic guitar actually into a synthesizer because i dont know what a synthesizer means and I'm too autistic to use normal person definitions XDDDD
>>
>>70786738
Slap it against a desk it is.

I saw a video of someone playing the Star Wars theme with a ruler on the edge of a desk the other day.
>>
>>70786757
so if I too the output of said synth and hooked it up the the guitar pickup's wires that lead to the guitar output, what would that make that?
>>
>>70786768
>repeats the same reductionist retard argument that he has been continually posting and which has been rebutted multiple times
>"CHeckMate."

o i am laffin
>>
>>70786793
>hook up an oscillator's signal to guitar pickups
I already knew you have no idea how the technology of either a synthesizer or a guitar works, but this was pretty damn stupid.
>>
I think all the people here are getting synthesizer mixed up with a sound module.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_module
>>
>>70786749
Technically it's electronic music. The resulting sound is not identical to the original (the original vibrations transmitted through air). The original sound was converted to electricity and back to analogue. Input (the original sounds) =! output (the sounds heard on the speakers).
>>
>>70786799
>o i am laffin
Something tells me that you're really mad right now... ;)
>>
>>70786827
sound modules encompass synthesizers

its just a term used for rackmounts without keyboards, usually
>>
>>70786826
You missed the curcial word that is "wiring". You can hook up a synth's electrical output to a guitar's electrical input and make sound. I'm not saying it would sound good, but it's possible. Try it sometime if you have an old broken guitar laying around.
>>
>>70786828
lol
>>
File: CycO964.jpg (20KB, 453x500px) Image search: [Google]
CycO964.jpg
20KB, 453x500px
>>70782919

>Just don't reply to obvious bait threads people.
>replies to obvious bait thread
>>
>>70786877
>guitar's electrical input
Stop it, I can only laugh so hard at your confusion about how guitars work

I'm not even sure what you're trying to prove with this scenario because nothing you do with the output of a synthesizer's oscillator is going to stop it from being synthesizer.
>>
>>70786471
>and modify it

you only modify it if you want to. a magnetic pickup in front of a string, wired directly to a typical speaker, outputs exactly what the string does. you can install extra components to modify the signal (in the amp or the guitar itself or in the middle ie; a pedal) but that's not innate to the concept of the "electric guitar".
>>
>>70786877
>a guitar's electrical input

wtf
>>
>>70786828
>acoustic guitar played through speakers is electronic music

Sums up the autism in this thread perfectly, kek.
>>
>>70782746
anyone who thinks that is retarded

OP knows nothing
>>
If I fap into a microphone to a loudspeaker for an audience, is my penis an electronic instrument?
>>
>>70786973
Yes, technically according to this thread your penis is a synthesizer.
Someone tell Korg, true analogue penis synthesizers are way better than Roland's "Virtual Genital Modelling Technology"
>>
>>70786757
>Yes, because the sound is produced by nonphysical means.
Does it matter? What if the output of a guitar is fed into a synth? According to your retarded logic, the output of the synth shouldn't be called sound synthesis because the sound from that guitar was generated by strings activating a pickup. See how dumb is your theory??

It doesn't matter FROM WHERE the input signal originates. It could be a recording of the Martians farting while watching you shitposting here, as long the synth processes that sound, it's still sound synthesis. Same fucking thing for guitar. It doesn't matter if I strum the strings or I play the pickups directly, the RESULT is a fucking ELECTRICAL SIGNAL.

Get it, you fucking moron?
>>
>>70786939
>>70786919
Yes, the wires that are hooked up to the pickup. The wires that carry the electrical signals from the pickup, out of the guitar into the amplifier. If you remove the pickup and run electricity through the wires that were hooked up to the pickup, you'll get a sound.
>>
>>70787022
Transmitted != produced
>>
>>70786943
Just technically. It doesn't matter the instrument, it could be a piano or a flute or a synth. It uses electronic devices, it's electronic. Of course, we don't consider it electronic because it still sounds like acoustic to us (but actually the original sound has been processed).
>>
>>70787041
the wire that takes it to the speaker and does literally nothing else?
>>
>>70787114
Because twisting the tone knobs doesn't modify the sound at all. Totally.
>>
>>70787059
But the electric guitar ALSO PRODUCES electric signal: those bloody pickups. It doesn't matter that someone has to activate them, the principle is the same (generating electrical signal).
>>
>>70787041
>If you remove the pickup and run electricity through the wires that were hooked up to the pickup, you'll get a sound.
Please livestream yourself doing this, I'd love to see it.
>>
>>70787129
Or the tremolo bar. Or the volume knob.
>>
>>70787022
>the RESULT is a fucking ELECTRICAL SIGNAL.

but not a synthesized one.

>>70787129
see
>>70786921
>you can install extra components to modify the signal (in the amp or the guitar itself

The tone knobs don't have to be there and sure, whatever, the tone knobs are a form of synthesis. Doesn't matter. They're not innate to the guitar.
>>
>>70787059
he's trolling, he's been saying the same thing and everytime he gets proven wrong he just repeats himself. like a robot.
>>
>>70787148
Well, the tremolo bar wouldn't do anything in this instance becuse it's electricity being run directly into the pickup's wiring, but I like that you're thinking the right way.
>>
>>70787041
so you're saying... hook up an oscillator to an amp? because if you remove the pickup and have an alternate source of sound signal besides the string, nothing makes it a guitar... its just a synth connected to an amp
>>
>>70787150
What would you say is innate to a guitar?

What would you say is innate to a synthesizer?
>>
>>70787148
>tremelo bar somehow effects the electrical signal

this is how I know you're trolling
>>
>>70787184
You're still using every other part of the guitar, minus the part that synthesizes sound (The pickups). The tone knobs, the volume knobs, the internal wiring all are still active in this scenario. You're just swapping out the guitar's basic sound module with a different sound module.
>>
>>70787150
>but not a synthesized one.
Why not? The synthesized signal is electrical, and it could be created and edited. If you look at the waveforms of a guitar sound and a synth sound (set to do the same sound as that guitar) you will not see any difference. So?
>>
>>70787229
>>70787244
everything about these posts is so retarded, its hilarious
>>
>>70787244
I'd be surprised if you have the IQ of a cinderblock
>>
@ the folks that keep saying that a synthesized sound is different than an electric guitar sound:

Really, if I set a synth to do exactly the same sound as a certain guitar and compare both signals, that's the difference? Do you really believe the waveforms will be different?
>>
>>70787256
>>70787271
Not an argument. Go suck somewhere else.
>>
>>70787271
I would be too because I don't think a cinderblock could write a correct answer like he did.
>>
So, what the fuck it's the difference between a synthesized sound of a guitar and an original electric guitar sound? In what way they differ?
>>
>>70787291
>>70787309
>>70787312
>>70787329
shut the fuck up retard, everything you're asking has been addressed in the thread already
>>
>>70787196
The strings, which do the vibrating, the pickups, which record and transmit the vibration, and the speaker, which does the vibrating again. Also the wood that the strings are attached to, the person to strike them, etc. but those details are irrelevant to the discussion. That is the bare minimum you need to have an electric guitar. Any amplification or other modification to the signal is superfluous and may very well count as synthesis.

The synthesizer requires a base waveform (analogous to the strings) and a speaker to vibrate the output, but in the middle there must be some manipulation of the waveform, otherwise no synthesis has taken place. If you want to argue that a pedal or a tone knob or an amp or whatever constitutes this modification, then sure I suppose I agree, but that's not the argument I'm putting forward. If that alone is the argument you're putting forward then yeah, I agree.

>>70787244
>it could be
But it isn't. Not necessarily.
>>
>>70787356
>The synthesizer requires a base waveform (analogous to the strings) and a speaker to vibrate the output, but in the middle there must be some manipulation of the waveform, otherwise no synthesis has taken place. If you want to argue that a pedal or a tone knob or an amp or whatever constitutes this modification, then sure I suppose I agree, but that's not the argument I'm putting forward. If that alone is the argument you're putting forward then yeah, I agree.
Interesting point of view. I never claimed that a guitar = a synth, but the fact that a guitar technically is a synth (a simplified one). I meant a guitar with all accessories, including pedals.
>>
>>70787345
You still didn't reply to that question (that wasn't asked so far ITT). Are you willing to contribute to discussion or you're just a wanker insulting people?
>>
>>70787291
>>70787329
the end result doesn't matter you fucktard, its about how the process of how the sound was generated. if you record an electric guitar, and play it back on a tape player, then I guess your tape player sounds the same as a guitar, has the same signal, so clearly a tape player is an electric guitar right? hurrr
>>
call it whatever the fuck you want, commie, i can make music with it and that's good enough
fuck guitars honestly
and rock "music" too
>>
>bitter synthfaggots argue with bitter guitarfaggots about how finely they can split a hair
>>
>>70787411
>contribute to discussion
you mean respond to your obvious bait like all the other idiots in this thread? no thanks.
>>
>>70787437
>implying you're not an idiot
>>
>>70787502
yeah, because I opened this thread to begin with.
>>
>>70782746
But keyboards are good because not everyone can get a big ads piano
>>
>>70787502
I think my IQ was significantly negatively impacted by just reading some of your post about electronics in this thread
>>
>>70787420
But the tape recorder is a physical medium, not electricity you dumbass. Your analogy sucks just like you.

Let's see how you handle this >>70787022
>>
why does it matter?
>>
>>70787574
You were already stupid, friendo. All this technical talk made you even dumber. You still didn't prove me wrong.
>>
>>70787579
>But the tape recorder is a physical medium

wtf
>>
>>70787579
>tape recorder is a physical medium
>after spending a whole thread claiming that guitars are not a physical source of sound
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>70787603
lol you've been proven wrong at least 10 times now
don't you have a life? like damn this is some autism
>>
Electronic instruments are the ones with the plugs.
>>
>>70787806
>Technically, my butt is an electronic instrument.

does this mean my farts are classified (technically, of course) as electronic music?
>>
>>70787748
>after spending a whole thread claiming that guitars are not a physical source of sound
Wait a minute pal, I never said that.

>>70787769
10 times? Show me just one (1) example.
>>
>>70787852
shut the fuck up retard
>>
>>70787852
I honestly wish I could bait as good as you
>>
>>70787889
>>70787948
Not an argument
>>
File: Jaden+Smith+gEpwnr3Be5nm.jpg (22KB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
Jaden+Smith+gEpwnr3Be5nm.jpg
22KB, 360x240px
How can instruments be real if our ears arent real?
>>
Is sound an instrument
Thread posts: 224
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.