[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does /mu/ feel about the Arctic Monkeys?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

File: arctic-monkeys-logo-wallpaper.jpg (164KB, 2981x1464px) Image search: [Google]
arctic-monkeys-logo-wallpaper.jpg
164KB, 2981x1464px
i used to be very active here on /mu/ about 4-5 years ago, but just got back here. i learned a lot of good music that i still listen to today, but one day ive really gotten into and am disappointed /mu/ didnt show me was the arctic monkeys. desu im very surprised i never saw them talked about much here being they got big through the internet and underground scene that seems like /mu/ gold.
>>
Their music got worse as Turner got more pretentious.
>>
>>70767009

they suck.
>>
>>70767112
any reason who's a band that doesn't suck
>>
>>70767009
I actually like them a lot, and thought AM was a fucking solid album - one of their best yet. It gets hate because it's different and unlike their older shit; but you don't see people shitting on Bowie or Sonic Youth for changing their sound throughout the years.

Their library overall is good, but of course they have a good amount of shitty songs. I don't think they have an album where I enjoyed every single song, but that's kind of a rarity anyway.
>>
>>70767009
1st album is a British classic, right up there with definately maybe and the stone roses in terms of a debut. Second album was more of the same but still good ( 505 in particular was a great closer). Humbug is their marmite album really, some liked darker direction they took and the homme influence, others didn't. Suck it and see is easily their worst in my opinion, became stale very quickly and very little replay value, and AM while quite sallow, at least has a few catchy riffs and beats. They are probably the biggest active and relevant "rock" band in the UK at the mo, the oasis of this era if you will, and AM made a name for them around the world, whether that was a good thing remains to be seen
>>
they're alright but
>pic rel8d
is a total steal from Black Sabbath, and now Blossoms are doing it and they're absolute shit.

btw: WPSIA>FWN>Humbug>AM>SIAS
>>
>>70767269
AM got me into AM but it gets shit i think not for the change of sound, but because AM attracted all the tumblr fan girls and shit like that. humbug is the fan favorite it it sounds nothing like anything else theyve done. i think people just like to think they are special and not like something everyone else does whos not a hardcore fan. that being said AM is my 3rd favorite.
>>
>>70767269
it gets hate because it's the blandest most milquetoast radio-friendly unadventurous tumblr-girl-pandering rock album released in recent memory
>>
>>70767334
also arabella rips off war pigs. i never understood the change in logo i love the old one from WPSA days.
WPSA>SIAS>AM>Humbug>FWN
>>
>>70767321
I'm glad we finally produced a decent rock band, the comparison musically to Oasis is a bit of a stretch though.

Oasis was all melody and a powerful loud image, AM were lyrically very solid and "musically tight". British rock is in a weird spot right now.
>>
>>70767519
i think he's saying theyre as big as oasis was then, not that the sound alike. id love to hear alex sing super sonic or live forever
>>
>>70767403
Ahh, well, see I just thought it sounded good. Guess I'm not pretentious enough to hate it.
>>
File: working class hero.jpg (47KB, 409x516px) Image search: [Google]
working class hero.jpg
47KB, 409x516px
>>
Blossoms are fucking underrated.
>>
>>70767334
Blossoms can actually pull it off
>>
Humbug was their last good album and also probably my favorite. I don't know what the fuck they were thinking with all that house party music they put out with AM.
>>
>>70767009
Perhaps the most overhyped band I've ever come across when they first started. Seriously the UK music press was going ape shit at the time, they were to be the "saviours" of British music, the "new" Beatles and any number of other vulgar platitudes Zane Lowe and the rest of those morons were throwing at them and seeing what stuck.

Their first album was fine nothing mind blowing, I've not really kept up to date with them since. And guess what.... they weren't the "saviours" of British music. Not by a long shot. I still feel like this imposed reputation has hurt them in the long run because they are in fact a fairly run of the mill rock act. There's nothing particularly special about them at all.
>>
>>70767749
thank you for keeping it festive in my thread with the hearts. AM alex is the worst alex
>>
What always bugged me is their name, not ironic and has no meaning. Turner is a smart guy should have nicked something cool out of a book. Maybe I'm just autistic.
>>
>>70767863
>There's nothing particularly special about them at all.

every record they've made has hit #1
>>
>>70767994
ok?
>>
>>70767937
alex got the name from his favorite poet who would preform at the bar alex worked at. i used to think it was because monkeys dont belong in the arctic and its like they were saying they were like monkeys in the arctic.
>>
>>70768047
that isn't special?

this isn't katy perry or jay z we're talking about, the guy writes and produces his own material. for everything he releases to top the charts is special.
>>
>>70768099
I'm not denigrating that achievement, I feel I was fairly clear in my original post in reference to how they were initially received, packaged and presented.

They're successful, great for them.
>>
>>70767321
Pretty much this
>>
>>70767045
yee what happened to him
>>
>>70768345
started going out with fashion models, lifestyle change

still think he's a great musician, but he's no longer part of the (working class) rock revival scene
>>
>>70767679
>>70768099
>>70767994
and I like to listen to Jet and 21 Pilots
Oh you don't like them? But they are very popular bands with many songs that hit #1, also did I mention that both of these bands write their own songs? You must be a really pretentious fag if you don't enjoy them.
>>
>>70768499
jet's ok
>>
>>70768499
barely listened to them, no judgement. nice assumptions though.

merely arguing against the statement that they aren't special when every single album has raced to british #1, especially when no band has ever done this before. it's the very definition of special.
>>
We had a thread about this yesterday.
Fuck off.
>>
>>70768769
nice job reading the post 10/10
>>
Great band. I was in jr high/high school when they were doing their thing and they were one of the reasons I seriously got into music and started a garageband with my friends so they're very dear to me. Humbug is probably their best
>>
>>70768345
Josh Homme happened.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.