[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /mu/ think of Billy Joel?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: billy joel 8789090.jpg (344KB, 777x1024px) Image search: [Google]
billy joel 8789090.jpg
344KB, 777x1024px
What does /mu/ think of Billy Joel?
>>
File: Nylon.jpg (21KB, 300x299px) Image search: [Google]
Nylon.jpg
21KB, 300x299px
Everyone thinks 'The Stranger' is the best because that's the only BJ album they listen to.

However me, an intellectual, thinks otherwise.
>>
>>70762816
Everyone on the fucking planet has heard Piano Man.
>>
>>70762921
I'm talking his full albums, not his singles.

Most people heard the SONG Piano Man but not many listen to his full albums.

But point still stands. Nylon is his peak.
>>
His 70s stuff was more lounge piano and Northeastern flavored, his 80s stuff was more sleeked back arena pop. Him and Springsteen were the only guys on the radio in that era who had songwriting with any substance as opposed to the REO Speedwagon brand of manufactured buttrock.
>>
Green Day sucks.
>>
>>70762983
kek
>>
File: christgau4.jpg (39KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
christgau4.jpg
39KB, 300x225px
Piano Man [Columbia, 1974]

Joel's debut Cold Spring Harbor was recorded in the vicinity of 35 RPM to fit on all the material. He's like one of those eternal teenagers who just won't shut up. Stubborn little bastard, too. After his bid stiffed, he worked a Los Angeles cocktail lounge soaking up Experience. Here, he poses as the Irving Berlin of narcissistic alienation, puffing up to the condescending fantasies of fans who spend their entire lives by the stereo feeling sensitive. And just to show them who's boss, he hits them with a ballad in the manner of Aaron Copland. C+
>>
>>70763150
EXACTLY. Surely HE must know the superiority of The Nylon Curtain
>>
The Nylon Curtain [Columbia, 1982]

"People my age, 25 to 40, who grew up as Cold War babies, we don't have anybody writing music for us. There's a lot of formula rock aimed at the 11-year-old market, and there's a lot of MOR for people over 50. But this is an album dealing with us, and our American experience--guilt, pressures, relationships, and the whole Vietnam syndrome." Imagine--in a world where formula rock, MOR, and most of the in between is guilty of association with Billy's (and my) demographic, he talked that shit. OK, you say, so he's no sociologist, and though sociological aptitude does tend to clarify "experience," I'll let it pass. What shocks me is the realization that this consummate rock professional is working on instinct. The basic belief of Cold War babies is that anything less than everything is a cheat, and their piano man agrees. Sure, "Allentown" digs into the rust belt. Right, "Goodnight Saigon" ain't Rambo. And in the relationship songs, sexual politics rads like me were fretting about a decade ago come home to haunt guys who thought they were a crock. But always this music feeds off a sense of deprivation that transcends specifics--it's built into the psyche of the singer and his audience. Does it help that the John Lennon impression (signifying seriousness) vies with the Paul McCartney impression (signifying entertainment value)? You bet. But he's no less deluded than his audience. B
>>
File: IWIN.png (458KB, 704x508px) Image search: [Google]
IWIN.png
458KB, 704x508px
>>70763224
>B
I can live with that.
>>
Momrock
>>
>>70763250
100% this
>>
>>70763246
Christgau generally liked Joel's 80s stuff better than his 70s stuff.
>>
Damn, I get it, Billy. You were married to a supermodel. There's no need to write 200 songs about it.
>>
>>70763270
>Christgau generally liked Joel's 80s stuff better than his 70s stuff.
Christgau is 100000000% right...
(This time at least)
>>
>>70763290
As I said, his 80s stuff had more of a pop sensibility, also he was older and his songs had more maturity than the Piano Man era when he was like 24-25.
>>
>>70763410
This is all still very correct.
Good job, anon.

Nylon Billys peak: Confirmed.
>>
OOO-EEE-OOO I LOOK JUST LIKE BILLY JOEL!
>>
I'm glad he stopped after Fantasies & Delusions. Not many artists know when it's time to quit putting out albums.
>>
>>70763678
Storm Front was pretty much the end, although An Innocent Man was his last truly great album. The Bridge was ok, and the Ray Charles cameo was especially fun, but a little too...tryhard? Storm Front had some catchy singles, but he seemed to be running out of gas, especially in being able to come up with good melodies.

He dropped Phil Ramone and the rest of his longtime crew for Storm Front, which was produced by that dipshit from Foreigner. Even though his last efforts with Ramone weren't as good, the two still had a chemistry that the Foreigner dipshit couldn't sub for.
>>
>>70762983
lyl
>>
Special treat: Modern Woman in which Billy expresses his dismay at feminism
>>
I DOOOON'T KNOW WHHHHYYYYY I GOOOO TOOOO EXTREEEEMMMMMEESSS
>>
I got a tab at Zanzibar.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.