[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to listen to Frank Ocean?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 5f06f7f6.jpg (2MB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
5f06f7f6.jpg
2MB, 1500x1500px
So I keep hearing that Frank Ocean is really great, and after listening to a few of his albums I can kind of see the appeal. He has a pretty good voice, but it seems like everything he does is experimental and overly produced. The one song I've found so far that I 'get' is Swim Good, and I do actually love it.

With the release of his new album (a while ago I guess) I've tried multiple times to listen to it and I really feel like I just don't get it. Is there something I'm missing? Is it not as good as I hear it is? Is there something I can listen to that will give me a greater respect for his works?

Any help would be great.
>>
It's okay to not like something.
>>
>>70714322
Or.... you could just not listen to him and explore music you do like.
>>
>>70714335
>>70714333

I just find it problematic that an artist can produce a song I love as much as Swim Good and the go on to create an entire album that doesn't jive with me. I don't listen to music very often and this is the first time this has happened.
>>
It's impossible for me to listen to Blonde while surfing 4chan because I tune out when there isn't drums and the tempo is slow. Just focus.
>>
>>70714381
Siegfried is literally the best song ever. You'll get it after a few more listens
>>
>>70714322

Swim Good is prob his most "normie" song

see>>70714333
>>
>>70714322
it took me 3 tries for blond to click. it finally did click when i was in a melancholy mood missing an ex and missing childhood. blond is now one of my favorite albums of all time.
>>
>>70715265
not op, but i'm in the same situation as him, and i'll try getting in this mood and relistening when i get home
>>
>>70715049
my fucking nigga

>>70714939
also this. Blonde simply requires your attention. There is an enormous amount of details. Frank Ocean is a crazy perfectionist, every line of dialogue is carefully written and the same applies to the instrumental.
>>
>>70715321
dont know why i put it "dialogue" in there, freudian slip i guess.
Although some critics have interpreted the change in high pitched and normal vocals as a sort of theatrical dialogue. Also I believe the transition from a monologue to a dialogue in the interludes is an interesting motif.
>>
>>70714322
>starting your post with "so"

kys
>>
>>70715049
It may be the best song ever but it sure isn't as delicate and painfully fragile as White Ferrari and Self-Control.
>>
>>70715406
I disagree. Self-Control is a bit overrated.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.