[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Steve Vai Is The GOAT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: GOAT.jpg (997KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
GOAT.jpg
997KB, 1000x1000px
In terms of Guitarist Steve Vai is the greatest that has ever lived, Here is my reasoning

Technicality
No one apart from maaaybe Tosin Abasi can fuck with Steve Vai in the realm of technical ability to play. This isn't everything when it comes to guitar but it is a big factor in how intriquet and unique the playing can be and Steve Vai achieved a level that only a handful of people ever have.

Artistry

A lot of people see Steve Vai as a prototypical Shredder and that he is the kind of guy who just strings fast scales together to sound impressive. Although he can and does play absurdly fast you would be remiss to slag him off as some run of the mill shredder. This is a man who played with Frank Zappa and infuses his playing with as much artistic flare as anything else. His playing is emotional and evocative and extremely lyrical. He never loses sight that his music is art and he also never shys away from exploring experimental extremely weird ideas and themes in his playing as well.

He is the epitome of a Virtuoso and imho the greatest guitarist that has ever lived.

He is also a huge fucking wanker douche nozzle with the fans blowing his hair back and the orgasming faces and all that shit but I give him a pass because he is literally the best there is.

I feel like I'm going to get shat on hard for this opinion but fuck it.
>>
>>70713111

I like Steve but Guthrie Govan and Allan Holdsworth mop the floor with him.
>>
>>70713216
And I mean't that as in they use Vai as the mop, not that they all mop together...ahh fuck it.
>>
There's not such thing as the greatest guitar player ever, after the top 20 you just can't compare one another, they all have different styles and techniques. And man, technique isn't everything, there are guitarrists that are way more creative than Vai yet they don't necessarily showcase a flawless technique.

Just my silly personal opinion tho
>>
>>70713216
Holdsworth rules but I don't think he can fuck with Vai in terms of Lyrical playing. He's essentially an incredible Bebop guitarist who plays with distortion. and for me jazz has zero emotional weight.
>>
>>70713406
Yea I sympathize with the technique argument, people always bring up David Gilmore when sighting this which I agree with for the most part.

But being able to play more difficult things does widen your tool set and that just a fact.

David Gilmore is the best painter in the world with 4 colors. Vai can paint with any color. Could still be a shit painting but ability to play does factor in IMO.
>>
>>70713406
I agree with this. Technically Zappa wasn't the greatest player but I find his style to be very interesting and would rank him as one of my all time favorite players.

>>70713436
>jazz has zero emotional weight

Go listen to Tokyo Dream and then tell me there's no emotion in his playing.
>>
>>70713503
I'm not here to trash Alan Holdsworth. I love him, He is incredible but I and I'm sure I will ruffle some feathers here so I apologize in advance.

For me I think Vai does everything he does better desu. Vais playing has more weight to it and purpose.

Obviously this is just my opinion I'm not saying you're wrong for liking Alan over Vai.

Vai is more pointed and intentional than Alan and that s just a style thing but I think it makes for more impactful playing.
>>
>>70713503
This would be my case for Vai over anyone. Once the band comes in it gets cheesy and not as cool but up til then i think its an untouchable level of guitar playing for technically and artistically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY8wyKuLY2k
>>
>>70713639
>>70713701

No offence taken my man. I'm no fanboy and I really like Vai too, I just have a preference personally for Holdsworth is all.

Being a big Zappa fan and then coming to know him more from his stint with Devin Townsend in the early 90's, I always appreciated Vai for his aptitude and 'Building the Church' is up there as one of my favorite pieces by any solo guitarist. There was just always that real cheesy 80's shredder tinge to him that put me off for some reason, but yeah, no doubting his skill at all he knows his way around the instrument like very few others.
>>
>>70713503
Tokyo Dream is one of my favorite Allan's songs. I even shared it with my friends who aren't musicians or close to music in any real way and they loved it. I think that Allan Holdsworth may appeal to someone who likes jazz, while Vai on the other hand may appeal to someone who likes "tame" rock music. Allan has reinvented his sound so many times it's not even funny. From UK to Soft Machine and Gong to his solo albums. He's also collaborated with many artists. Here's a list for anyone who might be interested:
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/warpigcat/allan_holdsworth___i_knew_that_he_plays_on_many_albums_but_look_here____/
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.