[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Slints Spiderland considered post rock?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: Unknown-2.jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
Unknown-2.jpg
9KB, 225x225px
Spiderland just doesn't come across to me as a Post Rock album at all, It sounds like a mathy post hardcore album to me. The only resemblance i can see in it being post-rock is the songs being a bit long.

Anyone else feel the same?

feel free to explain why i'm wrong.
>>
You're completely right op. I've been saying this for years. It's noisy math rock and the only reason I can see it being labelled as post rock is the arrangements.
>>
It's not like GY!BE post rock. This is first wave. You can hear how they influenced pands like Mogwai and Codeine. What makes it post rock are the repetitive riffs, dynamic changes, and heavy emphasis on atmoshere. At least my take on it. They don't sound like what we understand post rock to be like how Black Sabbath doesn't sound like Lamb of God. And a lot of people in the metal community don't consider Sabbath metal.
>>
>>70705751
Agree.
>>
>>70705842
I see what you're saying, But at the same time Math rock can be very repetitive in song structure.
>>
>>70705904
True, but I always feel like that the math influences are overstated. While here it a lot more in the drumming, I feel like the riffs don't have the angular melodies of math rock.
>>
>>70705751
that's because post rock isnt a real thing. it's just a pretentious name for shitty, formulaic classical music played on guitars.
>>
>>70706052
What would you call it then?
>>
>>70706064
call what?
>>
>>70706052
this
even the name is pretentious
>>
>>70705751
I see it as a precursor to post rock but not post rock itself.
>>
>>70706077
Post-rock
>>
>>70706263
Who cares? grow up.
>>
>>70706052
>formulaic classical music played on guitars.
:^)
>>70706221
Given by the press, usually rejected by the musicians
>>
>>70706355

>Who cares about music on a music board

I think you're alone here, anon
>>
>>70706400
People are preoccupied with sub-genres, that's what I'm getting at.
>>
>>70705751
It's the song structures and the arrangement of sounds that make it like post-rock. Unlike post-hardcore and math rock, it's dynamics and rhythmic play feel more like minimalist builds rather than the more erratic approach that those two genres take. The arrangement on the record's pretty interesting, too in terms of how all guitars are often playing different things, but they compliment each other well enough in a way where it almost sounds like one guitar playing but with slight bits veering off here and there. Math rock tends to have a more erratic, jazzy arrangement than such a composed one.

To kinda look at it in a simple way, the electric guitars and the vocals entail the post-rock aspect of Spiderland while the rhythm section of bass guitar and drums entail the math rock aspect of Spiderland. The kind of sound you get when the guitars are played that way over such grooves starts to sound very akin to the post-hardcore genre, even though post-hardcore often doesn't put this much close attention to how instruments are performed as this record does.
>>
>>70705751
>>70705794
>>70706052
>>70706227
spiderland is post-rock
it uses the aesthetics of rock music (guitars bass drums) but completely disregards traditional rock format - instead focusing on creating texture and atmosphere.
spiderland gives examples of a couple post-rock attributes which have been copied relentlessly since

1)composition
focusing on high dynamics, slow slow builds, climaxes, playing very very quietly and building to very very loud - and basing an entire song on this concept- see washer/good morning captain

2)repetition
using repetition of a riff, or even one or two notes to create texture, along a similar aesthetic level as Fripp but doing so to create texture - slint does this by changing the way they pick their guitars, and using the drum as an instrument to add texture to each repetition - think about why don amans instrumental is still compelling despite its endless repetitions - and how for dinner maintains interest despite for most of it only picking 4 notes

the mathy angular riff aspects only perpetuate the previous post-rock parts, they're used perfectly together and give it its haunting atmospheric touch
>>
Songs like Washer and For Dinner could easily be labelled post-rock. To make it even more cloudy I'd consider much of the album slowcore, take Don Aman for instance.

>>70705842
Frigid Stars came out before Spiderland, but I agree with everything you said.

>>70705978
Agreed again. I can see Slint's influence on math rock but I really wouldn't consider the album apart of the genre.

>>70706493
This is also true despite my comment above.

>>70706511
>>70706625
Great posts.
>>
>>70706263
>Post-rock
imo the term post rock is attempting to categorize something that literally doesn't exist. that's why every definition of post rock is so ambiguous and so many questions like that posed by op arise. so

i wouldn't call it something else because the concept that the term post rock is illusory. as for bands that are frequently called "post rock" there's lots of different things that you could call each band. like what was said above, slint is math/post hardcore. all the second and third wave are just crescendo-core ripoffs of one another.
>>
>>70706685
>Frigid Stars came out before Spiderland, but I agree with everything you said.
Whoops. Should have said I was talking about White Birch era.
>>
>>70706807
Indeed, this is undeniable.
>>
>>70706785
absolutely fucking stupid
yank crime is not post-rock
there was never a song like washer before washer -
if you can find a single song like washer that was written before 1991 (or 1988 when it was written) (and isn't talk talk) i will retract spiderland as my favourite album
>>
>>70706785
I've found that the best way to treat the term "post-rock" is to define it more as an artistic movement than a genre, with numerous different interpretations across the past three decades centered around breaking down the tropes, song structures, and general approach to music typical to rock music. The different waves could also be considered different movements to some extent.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.