[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to be a better musician?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

Pic related
>>
practice and learn theory
>>
File: 1469444279297.jpg (24KB, 400x372px) Image search: [Google]
1469444279297.jpg
24KB, 400x372px
>>70674106
Justin Guitar,Rocksmith 2014, basic guitar theory, and practice.
Also visiting /gg/ helps a lot. Fucking faggot.
>>
>>70674194
ty faggot
>>
>>70674168
anything to get started?
>>
File: 1461614289339.png (798KB, 1161x1548px) Image search: [Google]
1461614289339.png
798KB, 1161x1548px
>>70674202
you're very welcome
Also seriously learn how to play songs both by ear and by tutorials you'll have to learn mostly through tutorials until you can recognize chords by ear. It literally just started happening for me and its been about 11 months of just playing everyday. The sooner you play songs the sooner you'll recognize how songs are structured. Jack White is a really good artist to get into for guitar since a lot of what he plays is garage rock/blues.
nigger
>>
>>70674309
I've been playing guitar from more than 3 years, and I can't improve my skill. nigro
>>
>>70674213
for theory, in my opinion, it's best to take a class for the basic stuff, because without that foundation, nothing makes any sense, but once you have the foundation, it'll be much easier to teach yourself with a book or something

But just look in the archive for the /comp/ sticky, it has a bunch of resources
>>
>>70674365
okey dokey
>>
>>70674341
Do you know theory? Do you play everyday? How many songs can you play and can you play them by ear? If you can do all these things then you're missing something and you should assess it and correct.
>>
>>70674416
I know general music theory, I played violin for 3 years also, I used to play everyday but school takes a lot of time, idk maybe 10 or 15
>>
>>70674447
>only 10 or 15 songs
Play like 50-100 if you can that's if you really like guitar.
>>
>>70674471
I do like guitar, I just need to put more effort on it
>>
>>70674486
>I just need to put more effort on it
Yes you do m8 so go DEW it
>>
>>70674213
https://youtu.be/T5SmcH11kUk

https://youtu.be/r0XKX5Cy2vQ
>>
>>70674106
there are infinite ways to achieve good musicianryship. theory is good fundamental knowledge that can help, but not nearly as much as getting ur hands on it and becoming comfortable with practice, developing your own feel and relationship with it

look at all the revered avant garde artists who have irregularly learned their craft; all the traditional artists who learned themselves and built themselves their own equipment; all of the geniuses with no formal knowledge who have accomplished sonic greatness. know your basics, but never box yourself in with theory - always stay personal with your instrument. write and compose. in my eyes, that's the only way that being a musician ends with feeling reward.
>>
>>70674106
By spending your practice time practicing, that is, working on stuff you can't currently do.

If you lack concentration, take up meditation first. It'll improve your motor coordination as well.
>>
>>70676066
>If you lack concentration, take up meditation first. It'll improve your motor coordination as well.
How do I into meditation?
>>
>>70674106
From my own experience I get drastically better from just learning other songs and music on said instrument. With every new piece of music you learn you will probably learn a new technique to even be able to play it, and then you will be able to learn other pieces that uses the same techniques with much more ease. Later down the road you will have learned so many techniques and gotten so much experience that almost all music you encounter will be a cakewalk to learn.

That is just for improving your technical skill though, and it probably wont make you better at something like improvisation. That's where theory comes in handy, learning things as scales and such. It all about learning the fundamentals behind what makes music sound good and then you play accordingly.

And as others have already said, by far the most important tip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlCRfTmBSGs
>>
>>70674106
Focus on the sound only, and let yourself go
>>
>>70674106
learn a song you like by ear and practice until you can play it perfectly. once you can, stop and move on to another song and repeat the process. there is no better ear training than transcription and learning your favorite songs is the best way to develop your musical style and learn what patterns appeal to you. theory can help you understand those patterns but it won't make you a better musician unless you have terrible ears. also play with others or share your music in some way to motivate you to improve. or just do audio recordings of yourself to track your progress.

you also need non-musical experiences as inspiration. go out and do stuff that makes you think in new ways.
>>
>>70676262
https://www.amazon.com/Mindfulness-English-Bhante-Henepola-Gunaratana/dp/0861719069/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485699021&sr=8-1&keywords=mindfulness+in+plain+english

https://www.amazon.com/Mindful-Way-Through-Depression-Unhappiness/dp/1593851286/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485699035&sr=8-1&keywords=mindful+way+through+depression

Read both and you're good to go.
>>
>>70676489
Thanks, super ninfriendo
>>
>>70674168
No. Concentrating on theory has ruined my motivation for playing guitar completely until I started to explore it myself.
Start off with basic chord patterns and try to place them on different frets. for example the C chord also works in on the 3rd fret, same for the F chord. You can also place these patterns on different strings in the same fret, just experiment a bit and use your intuition
>>
>>70676496
not the guy you responded to.

what do you mean by "until I started to explore it myself"?
>>
>>70674447
Guitar is child's play compared to violin, if you can play violin guitar should be easy for you
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.