[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Discussion: I can't stand hip hop anymore . . .

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_0614.jpg (19KB, 300x232px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0614.jpg
19KB, 300x232px
This is something I've needed to get off my chest. I was a big fan of rap music. I really was. To the point where it was 75% of all the music I listened to. But in the last year or so, I've started noticing things about the genre that have The been really putting me off. And it has nothing to do with trap party music. It's the conscious stuff. Kendrick Lamar, Run the Jewels, A Tribe Called Quest, etc. While sonically I can appreciate their beats and production and the emcees talents, the lyrics feel so cliche. Racism is bad, the white man is always keeping a brutha down, drumpf is bad, fuck the establishment, and other tired tropes like that. They've even gone as far push the false narratives created around police shootings which are provably wrong. I'm not trying to be political, but these guys attempts at it just come off as vacuous and dull to me. It's the same recycled crap and isn't engaging for me at all. Hell, Ab-Soul's latest release was a fucking breath of fresh air in comparison when he focused more feminist shit with his new album. Look, I don't know what I'm asking for and trying to say other than, the supposedly more philosophically engaging side of hip hop, is about as compelling a children's book at this point. I know I'm not alone. Does anyone agree? Disagree? What do you guys think?
>>
Shit I don't know man

The only rap song I kinda like is that bring the noise song by Anthrax
>>
>>70668724

You clearly identify with white nationalism senpai.
>>
>>70668724
nice blog post faggot
>>
https://soundcloud.com/theboyghost/ogws-folgersablunt

This should solve your probz...
>>
Are you black?
>>
File: MVZL4.jpg (56KB, 623x476px) Image search: [Google]
MVZL4.jpg
56KB, 623x476px
thats because you're the ill plebian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naadczSAMmI

- d money
>>
flab soul is a dummy and so are you
>>
yeah i grew up listening to rap 24/7 spent my teen years listening to nothing but conscious rap. now i hate all that preachy shit and sometimes listen 2 trap like future. rest is garbage. rather just listen to Stockhausen and SMOG
>>
you need more MF DOOM and shit
>>
>>70668768
Not really
>>
>>70668789
Calling me pleb and getting shit off YouTube? You got a lot of nerve, nigga.

Good album, though.
>>
Conscious rap is shit. Always has been. People placed it on a pedestal because it was considered "positive" in comparison to the remainder of rap with its focus on getting money through nefarious means and objectifying women, etc. But the true is... conscious rap is boring. Who wants to be preached to when listening to music for entertainment? That's just masochistic.
>>
conscious rap has always been shit, just listen to Bizarre Ride 2 Tha Pharcyde and stfu
>>
File: kill yourself irl.png (224KB, 782x639px) Image search: [Google]
kill yourself irl.png
224KB, 782x639px
>>70668897
>listening to music for entertainment
>>
I dunno man. But its really great that you started this thread! now we can have a thread to discuss rap music and our opinions of it!!

Youre really onto something here!
>>
Personally I'd much rather hear about personal accounts when it comes to addressing social issues, but this IS rap we're talking about and that's simply not common. A lot of rappers are talking out their ass when they refer to the struggle they've experienced.
>>
>>70670067
I don't think it's that their talking out their ass so much as it is that no one really cares about the struggles of a poor black man in America. Stop whining. Either say something relatable or say something entertaining.
>>
theres a good reason that you will die alone
>>
>>70670199
It's a discussion, and I believe that was a relevant comment
>>
>>70670254
You are not the whiner I was addressing, it was the hypothetical conscious rapper my comment was directed to.

Nobody wants to hear about how Lil Big XYZ apartment complex was bulldozed to make way for another major freeway. People want BANGERS
>>
>>70668724
Congrats, anon. You grew up. I loved hip-hop in high school, and I quickly grew out of it in college.
>>
in rap telling a fictional story is often taken as a rapper lying to look tougher than the next guy, in which both the rapper and album are then dismissed as shit.
>>
Try other artists, while I love these artists I can feel what you mean. MF DOOM and Kill Bill got really solid albums that don't touch the subjects you are trying to avoid.
>>
>>70668724
Get used to it friend

It's only going to get worse under Trump

Shitty conscious rap that has been dealing with the exact same lyrical themes for 25 years always gets produced in overdrive under Republican Presidents
>>
>>70668822
got a favorite stockhausen work? rare to see a fan of his around here.
>>
>>70668724
Good shit, OP. It's the over-saturation of bullshit like what you're talking about that leads to really noticing the truth about all this trash. Glad you don't listen to it anymore.

Here's something that gives hope for the future of hip hop though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqaCA5smNJ8
>>
File: gods.jpg (121KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
gods.jpg
121KB, 1200x630px
>>70668724
What do I think? I think ICP did a lot for rap, and I think we should look more to them for inspiration
>>
Listen to Freddie Gibbs and Curren$y
>>
>>70670306
took you long enough
>>
>>70668724
I hear what you're saying OP but at the same time, here are the top ten hip hop albums of 2016 (in terms of first week sales, and keep in mind TLOP got fucked due to Tidal so it probably should be #2 or #3)

1. Views-Drake 1,040,000
2. 4 Your Eyez Only-J. Cole 492,000
3. untitled unmastered-Kendrick Lamar 178,000
4. We Got It from Here... Thank You 4 Your Service-A Tribe Called Quest 135,000
5. Evol-Future 134,000
6. Islah-Kevin Gates 112,000
7. Awaken, My Love!-Childish Gambino 101,000
8. Major Key-DJ Khaled 95,000
9. The Life of Pablo-Kanye West 94,000
10. Trap or Die 3-Jeezy 89,000

Aside from We Got It from Here (which wasn't cliche), none of these albums struck me as being excessively political. I completely agree that RTJ type stuff can be cringeworthy, but those artists aren't really dominating hip hop right now. I think /mu/ might have a slightly skewed perception because a lot of people here focus on a tiny subset of rap music and ignore the fun, mainstream shit that people actually like in real life (probably due to the demographics of this website). For example, I saw multiple people here name Islah (which received widespread critical acclaim and sold extremely well) as one of the worst albums of 2016. If you genuinely believe that's true, then you're probably the type to only listen to /mu/ approved rap, and thus have a limited perspective on the current state of hip hop. I mean keep in mind that we are on one of the most politically active and polarized websites on the entire internet. Naturally, people who form their opinions on rap on here are going to think that rap in general is far more political than it actually is.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.