[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rock music has no place in modern culture

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

File: tmp_31419-dzC2kpd490955510.jpg (33KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_31419-dzC2kpd490955510.jpg
33KB, 600x600px
You have 60 seconds to name a rock band from the last 25 years that is both critically acclaimed and culturally relevant. Please note that commercial success is not synonymous with cultural relevance.

Impossible Mode: No Nirvana.

Oh wait, you can't.

R.I.P Rock

Please note:
>The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, Queens of the Stone Age, The Mars Volta, Franz Ferdinand, The Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis, Bloc Party, The Libertines, Blur, Pulp, Suede, and Interpol are not culturally relevant, all of them are fad artists associated with a certain 3-5 year timespan with no real longevity or standing cultural relevancy. You're not going to hear their music being played at a high school dance or have a large number of normies sharing them on Facebook the way you would a contemporary hip hop artist like Drake or Kendrick Lamar.
>Jack White is not a culturally relevant artist. Seven Nation Army may be a culturally relevant track but having only one culturally relevant track indicates a lack of longevity and thus a lack of cultural relevance as artists. See also: Vanilla Ice, MC Hammer, Los Del Rio (not rock artists but it's a fair analogy).
>Muse, Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Tool, Kings of Leon, The Black Keys, Pearl Jam, Green Day, My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Blink-182, Brand New, Taking Back Sunday, Mumford & Sons, and Red Hot Chili Peppers are not critically acclaimed.
>The Flaming Lips, Sufjan Stevens, Tame Impala, The National, The Hold Steady, Dinosaur Jr, Deerhunter, Mac DeMarco, Porcupine Tree, Beach House, Ween, Titus Andronicus, Bon Iver, Pixies, Spoon, Pavement and Modest Mouse appeal to a far too niche demographic to be considered culturally relevant. This is also true for all metal.
>R.E.M., Bruce Springsteen, and U2 have not been critically acclaimed in the last 25 years.
>LCD Soundsystem, Radiohead and Arcade Fire are not rock bands
>>
who cares
>>
it may not have any place in modern culture

it still has a special place in my heart
>>
>>70642389
name a culturally relevant and critically acclaimed artist or group that is NOT rock
no michael jackson was not critically acclaimed
>LCD Soundsystem, Radiohead and Arcade Fire are not rock bands
you're retarded
>>
I dont plan on attending any high school dances any time soon, thus drake and Kendrick Lamar are not relevant to me
Checkmate
>>
>>70642389
Iceage
>>
>>70642389
Culturally relevant doesn't matter.
>>
>>70642478
Go out on the street and ask 10 people what their favorite Iceage song is

They'll all be fucking confused at what you're talking about. Shit band who no one outside of p4k hipsters knows about. Wrong answer
>>
>>70642389
>The Smashing Pumpkins
>You're not going to hear their music being played at a high school dance
Fucking speak for yourself
>>
File: 1442969912138.gif (46KB, 272x220px) Image search: [Google]
1442969912138.gif
46KB, 272x220px
>>70642389
>name a rock band that is culturally relevant that isn't every culturally relevant rock band
>>
>>70642389
Radiohead.
Regardless of what your post says, they are literally rock by definition.
>>
>>70642550
Yeah I disagree with that too. 1979 has cemented itself as a timeless classic.
>>
>>
>>70642522
What does the average schmucks opinion have to do with critical acclaim? Delete your life you philistine nigger
>>
>>70642621
Because the tastes of the majority dictate what is popular and what gets made by the most talented musicians in society. I hope you enjoy having no more good rock music in a few years when everyone is making either edm or rap music
>>
>spot the American

I don't know a single person aged 16-65 that can't name AT LEAST three songs by Pulp, Oasis or Blur, and the songs are almost always older than 5 years old
>>
>>70642694
So by this logic, the most popular musicians are the most talented?
>>
>>70642721
I mean shit, these bands barely had a hit in the last 5 years, but songs like Common People, Champagne Supernova or Parklife are a staple of UK popculture songbook for hereafter
>>
>>70642694
thats fucking retarded people still make shit like big band and polka you pillock
>>
>>70642721
nobody cares about yuroop
>>
File: 1461187519116.jpg (9KB, 176x146px) Image search: [Google]
1461187519116.jpg
9KB, 176x146px
>>70642389
You have 60 seconds to tell me one good reason I should care.
>>
>>70642550
you just outed yourself as a 25 year old
>>
>>70642389
i agree with the majority of the classifications in your post but the smashing pumpkins are bot culturally relevant and critically acclaimed. you stated they aren't, but you're wrong.
also the 3 bands you said aren't rock bands are definitely rock bands, you should put a hard mode under the nirvana god mode where they are instead of trying to say they aren't something they are.

>>70642728
talent has nothing to do with relevancy
>>
name a critically acclaimed hiphop artist from the last 25 years by the way

>all hiphop artists from the last 25 years
dont count as hiphop
>>
jazz has no place in modern culture
classical has no place in modern culture
opera has no place in modern culture
avant garde has no place in modern culture
ooo nooooo :''''''(
>>
>>70642840
hip-hop doesn't have a historical canon bc all black art is devalued and otherized by the west
>>
>Arcade Fire is not a rock band

so what the fuck are they then?
>>
>>70642935
a cuck band
a ""spiritual experience"" for ''music fans''
>>
>>70642389
Rush
>>
>>70642389
>Cultural relevance
>High School Dance

lrn2shitpost
>>
>>70642389
>are not culturally relevant, all of them are fad artists associated with a certain 3-5 year timespan with no real longevity or standing cultural relevancy.
Maybe not for your retarded ass, but for the rest of the world that aren't a bunch of contrarian idiots they are.
>>
>>70642389
>Radiohead
>Arcade Fire
>not rock bands

Who the fuck are you to decide that?
>>
>Fad artists associated with a certain 3-5 year timespan with no real longevity or standing cultural relevancy

Drake, Kanye West, Kendrick Lamar, Future, Frank Ocean
>>
>>70644073
>standing cultural relevancy
have u ever been to america?
kanye DEFINES white pseudo-confident cuckos
>>
>>70644073

Hi rockist! Kanye has been culturally relevant since the early 2000s and will continue to be culturally relevant up to his death.
>>
>arguing over cultural relevancy when it literally doesn't matter at all
>>
>>70642950
horrible
>>
>>70644215
True
>>
Does anyone know that last "rock" song that has reached #1 on the Hot 100 charts?
I can't think of another rock song the reached #1 besides "I Kissed A Girl" by Katy Perry, but It depends on people's definition of "rock" as it was pop-rock.
>>
>>70642389
>name a modern rock band
>these ones don't count tho because i said so
why even bother
>>
>>70642389
>appeal to a far too niche demographic to be considered culturally relevant.
what?
>>
>>70642566
This
>>
>>70644073
Kanye and Kendrick will be debated on this board until the day it shuts down, they are relevant and their work has longevity. Kanye's 2000's stuff sounds better than almost anything that came out around that time.
>>
File: 490.jpg (28KB, 627x626px) Image search: [Google]
490.jpg
28KB, 627x626px
>>70642389
god how can so many people reply to this shit
>>
>>70644766
>Just because popular music was on its most cancerous moment in the history of pop music
that does not make kanye good in any way
>>
ITT:newfags unironically replying to a pasta

I smell you are bluepilled,I bet you niggers only listen to rap and sit down there with accounts of Tumblr
>>
>>70642694
>tastes of the majority dictate what is popular and what gets made by the most talented musicians in society
[autism intensifies]
>>
File: penn_jillette_435x290.jpg (23KB, 435x290px) Image search: [Google]
penn_jillette_435x290.jpg
23KB, 435x290px
>>70642721
>Pulp, Oasis or Blur
>>
Refused
>>
why cant we just discuss music? Why is everyone so obsessed with the cult of relevancy?
>>
>>70642389
Alter Bridge
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.