[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do white guys compete with blacks in rap? ive been making

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: MaccTrucc.jpg (90KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
MaccTrucc.jpg
90KB, 1280x720px
how do white guys compete with blacks in rap?

ive been making covers for fun and my voice doesnt seem hype enough... or something. i dont know how to make a good rap voice basically. all my favorite rappers were black guys with tough deep voices. furthermor they just hype me up listening to them. what kind of things can i do to make my voice better at rap?
>>
>>70640990
(1) learn german
(2) get germans and a kitchen
(3) ????
(4) profit
>>
>>70640990
smoke 3 packs unfiltered a day
>>
>>70642166
And make them menthols, biiiiitch
>>
I know this is bait, but I'll respond anyway in case someone stumbles upon this post thinking it's serious and wants answers.

I struggle with the same thing. I'm on the verge of starting to make hip hop music, but I keep doubting myself. One of those doubts is about whether my voice will sound good enough that people want to listen to it. But every time I think about this, I realize it's pointless to worry about something like that. Hip hop music emphasizes lyrics over timbre, by far. While it would be nice to have a smooth voice for sing/rapping, or a rough voice for hype rap, this is completely irrelevant. As long as you have something interesting to say, say it. How it sounds is second to what it means.

Also it's worth mentioning that plenty of white rappers, and even black rappers with weird voices, can be successful. Here's just a few that come to mind:
>Aesop Rock
>Doseone
>Eyedea
>Busdriver
>Beastie Boys (Except for MCA, his raspy voice was great)

And while most of these artists weren't EXTREMELY popular, barring the Beastie Boys, you could make the argument that rappers like Kendrick Lamar and Danny Brown have found great success despite their weird voices.
>>
>>70640990
>how do white guys compete with blacks in rape?

FTFY
>>
>>70643247
>>70643247
it isnt bait im trying to improve the rythm/ cadence of my speaking voice through rap covers. want to improve in public speaking and it just seems like a fun challenge to adapt my voice to sound better in a rap song. idk rap just seems to always carry a context around it that i dont recognize in my life ata ll
>>
>>70643247
>Hip hop music emphasizes lyrics over timbre, by far.
Keep telling yourself that
>>
>>70643535
Your problem is that you're trying to emulate the voices of tough black dudes. Don't do that. Find your own voice, and rap about things that you relate to. That's not to say that you shouldn't sing/rap along to your favorite music, but if you're going to make your own music, don't try to emulate someone else's style.
>>
>>70640990
>how do white guys compete with blacks in rap?
By being Eminem
>>
>>70643590
Explain then, my dude. How does hip hop put more emphasis on timbre than lyrics? I'd love to have my mind changed.
>>
>>70643676
The lyrics just don't matter half as much as how the lyrics sound when they go into your ears. Consider all the most popular hip-hop from 2010 to now. Hip-Hop hasn't been lyrical since the 90s and if you showed those albums to new Hip-Hop fans they would think they sound awful. Seriously, show Illmatic to someone who is into modern Hip-Hop.

That being said there are rappers and singers in general with not conventionally "good" voices. Bob Dylan, obviously. In rap no one is bigger now than Kendrick and a lot of people think his voice is weird but that comes back to my point. A DISTINCT voice is a good thing, even if it can be interpreted as distinctly bad.

So in the end it comes back to my argument that people only listen to rap these days for the sounds. How else can you explain this mumble-rap shit?
>>
>>70643745
Maybe I need to get out of my bubble more, but in most of the discussions I've had about hip hop, lyricism tends to be valued most.

I think it's hard to classify what makes an album "good" when you use popularity as the defining factor. Tons of people that contribute to the success of an artist or album have no knowledge about music, they just buy whatever flavor of the month is most popular.
>>
>>70643928
>but in most of the discussions I've had about hip hop
Try not to take too much of what you read on /mu/ as canon. A lot of posters are out of touch with what is popular.

That being said I'm not saying design your music just so you have the best odds of getting popular, you should make music for you and if others like it that's wonderful.

But if you're concerned that your voice isn't good enough just remember a distinct voice is better than a 4-octave one. Because in 2017 there are a LOT of people making music on their computers and it goes a long way to be remembered for something.
>>
>>70640990
pitch down your voice
>>
>>70640990
you stop rapping because you suck and you're not cut out for it
>>
File: ed sheeran.jpg (17KB, 398x498px) Image search: [Google]
ed sheeran.jpg
17KB, 398x498px
>>70643535
be urself, show the world ur tru voice
>>
>>70640990
You have to be raised by birth with the knowledge that whatever you do or say, you don't have to take responsibility, you can say a magic word (Racism, discrimination, oppression, etc.) and make the problem go away. ONce you have that unwarrented sense of self worth and no fear of retribution, the hype follows quickly. So do bullets though, so keep your head down.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.