[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Lou Reed right about critics?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: Lou Reed.jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Lou Reed.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
>Springsteen is all right, by the way. He gets my seal of approval—I think he’s groovy. You notice the way the critics turned on him, like, after they were on him, right? When he needed them, they weren’t there. Critics. What does Robert Christgau do in bed? You know, is he a toe-fucker? Man, anal-retentive—The Consumer’s Guide to Rock? What a moron! A Consumer’s Guide to Rock, man! I object to the fucking liner notes. Start studying rock ‘n’ roll? I can’t believe it. “Baroque Rock: A Study by Robert Christgau.” John Rockwell, man. Wow! You know how heavy it is to get reviewed by Rockwell, and he says you’re intelligent? Fuck you! I don’t need you to tell me that I’m good. “Mr. Reed.” You know, you say, “Oh, man, I’m in The New York Times, it said ‘Mr. Reed.’” Fuck you! Your doorman wouldn’t kiss my ass, man, I don’t give a jackal. He, right, he studies at Harvard, right—monologue—but dig this, man, opera! A fucking opera guy, man! And that’s the critic for The New York Times that makes and breaks the best rock bands that are very heavy and intelligent. Notice there are no colored rock groups? Certainly not in The New York Times with John Roberts [sic]—he wouldn’t go there, man, he comes to CBGB’s with an armed guard: “Don’t touch me, man.” And he’s a big dude. Somebody should say, “John, don’t be afraid.” And Christgau is like an anal-retentive. Nice little boxes. “B-plus.” Can you imagine working for a fucking year and you got a B-plus from an asshole in The Village Voice? And you don’t gotta take this shit. You don’t have to talk to the fucking journalists, man. And they get in for free, and the best seats, in case you’re interested—and there’s no way we can do anything about it. The club owners want the good review. So you get the asshole right up front, looking bored. He’s going, “When is this shit over, Marty? You got some coke?” Oh, boy. Anyway. I know you’re not interested in my problems: Neither am I….
>>
>tfw too intelligent for pop
>>
>>70628177
>Can you imagine working for a fucking year and you got a B-plus from an asshole in The Village Voice?

I always loved this part
>>
File: christgau btfo.png (240KB, 1693x811px) Image search: [Google]
christgau btfo.png
240KB, 1693x811px
>>
>>70628177
Lou can you please comeback and make a review of The Life Of Pablo?
>>
File: LouReed_Live_TakeNoPrisoners.jpg (273KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
LouReed_Live_TakeNoPrisoners.jpg
273KB, 500x500px
I was just listening to that album that quote is from yesterday, fucking hilarious.
>>
>>70628291
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCPZ-V0i0pU

go to 5:51
>>
He's got an interesting point about the people of color thing. Do you think that sites like Pitchfork often feel like they have to overcompensate with the recent love for music by POCs because of people like Christgau and Rockwell whose influence seeps into even places like RYM and /mu/?
>>
>>70629253
A lot of people bash Pitchfork for that and although I don't consider Pitchfork's scores totally accurate, but I like that they promote more artists of color. It might be an increase of POC in the music industry, as well.
>>
>>70629253
>>70629545
It's actually all just to compensate for that one review of Coltrane in hopes that everyone will just forget it ever happened
>>
>>70629781
Which one? They fucked up on a Coltrane review? A review of arguably the most universally loved musician among all music fans?
>>
>>70628246
I think he thanked him for at least pronouncing his name right
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (56KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
56KB, 1280x720px
>>70628177
Is that Sigourney weavers brother
>>
>>70628177
I love all the bad '70s slang in this rant of his.
>>
Michael Gira mailed Christgau a bag of cum after he gave the Swans a bad review.
>>
>>70629253
>>70629545
?
this was decades ago when underrepresentation was actually a thing

now it's just a trendy tack-on addition to your standard "progressive" belief set

20-30% of all popular music sales these days are hip hop (more than rock and about the same as pop)
there's no underrepresentation anymore
>>
with all due respect, christgau is a fucking terrible critic
>>
>>70628177
>“Baroque Rock: A Study by Robert Christgau.”

This is an anti-metal/anti-prog diatribe, isn't it?
>>
Most professional music critics are sociology majors who can't play an instrument or write a song and they usually don't even understand music theory. Christgau's never been in a studio--how can he know what it's like to spend hours banging on a guitar trying to come up with the perfect riff for a song? Lou Reed was right about the insult of being shit on by music critics when you spent literal months developing an album.
>>
>>70633375
shut up cuck
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.