[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Albums you genuinely can't believe people like. Pic related

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 14

File: file.png (1MB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 900x900px
ITT: Albums you genuinely can't believe people like.

Pic related
>>
>>70627885
people only like suffy because he's gay honestly
>>
>>70627885
the arrangements sound unreal on a good quality setup

what dont you like about it?
>>
>>70627947
Its forced, contrived whimsy and the arrangements are obnoxious and teaspoon thin. There's no an ounce of genuine emotional sentiment and Sufjan thinks a load of whispy, "quirky" corporate sentimentality is a suitable substitute.
>>
>>70627982
>forced
how

>contrived
how

>arrangements are obnoxious
why

>no an ounce of genuine emotional sentiment
Seems presumptuous. Literally the first song:

And when you play guitar
I listen to the strings buzz
The metal vibrates underneath your fingers
And when you crochet
I feel mesmerized and proud

And I would say I love you
But saying it out loud is hard
So I won't say it at all
And I won't stay very long

But you are life I needed all along
I think of you as my brother
Although that sounds dumb
>whispy
You don't like his vocal style?
> "quirky"
You don't think its quirky?

>corporate sentimentality
Corporate how? Even being one of the more popular critically acclaimed artists in recent years, its not like he's a sell out.
>>
>>70627982
well that's not something you could "prove" or "disprove"
you could only make an effort to make yourself drop this obnoxious cynicism and take it for what it is, but you don't feel inclined to, right?

only
>teaspoon thin
we must have listened to different albums
>>
>>70627885
funny, I'm listening to this album right now

you're wrong btw
>>
>>70628187
I gave you my reasons. If you find them unsatisfying, that's fine. You're entitled to think that. But I don't want to get into a whole thing with all these tangents here.
>>
>>70628521
what kind of discussion are you trying to have where why you think what you do is left so vague
>>
>>70628521
>Starts a thread to foster discussion between different viewpoints
>Doesn't want to engage in a debate when one arises

What.
>>
>>70628578
>What kind of discussion are you trying to have?
Not about Sufjan, that's for sure. I was kind of hoping people would post their own examples, I'm interested to see what really is universally loved on /mu/. I have a hard time believing it's mucore since I see it criticised every day, whereas I have never in all my years being here not seen a word raised against Astral Weeks or Paul's Boutique. If I left it up to chance it could take months for me to see some contentious opinion on those fronts. In a thread specifically designed as a cut and dry list of acclaimed albums people don't like I can get the information I want a lot quicker and easier...

...or so I thought.

I understand that posting something as inflammatory as "I don't like Age of Adz" would have got some questions. But I think I gave a satisfactory enough answer without derailing the thread. I have invested as much in this conversation as I think I needed to.

>>70628666
Refer above
>>
File: why.jpg (6KB, 168x200px) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
6KB, 168x200px
>>70627982
None of what you listed is actual criticism towards the music. I'm pretty sure you're just an insufferable cunt.
>>
>>70628666
tbf i don't think there's a coherent, non-superstitious way to explain why some music feels "fake" or "contrived" to someone, while it doesn't to someone else
>>
>>70628680
>I have a hard time believing it's mucore since I see it criticised every day
because /mu/core doesn't mean "least controversial" but almost the opposite, "most discussed"
>>
>>70628706
Hell hath no fury like a Sufjan fan scorned.

I understand you're likely quite thick, but just because you claim a statement has nothing to do with the topic it doesn't actually make it true. But between our two statements, mine being that the music is contrived and yours that I'm an insufferable cunt, I want you to tell me which has more to do with the music. Be objective, now.
>>
File: Daniel_Johnston-Hi_How_Are_You.jpg (26KB, 220x340px) Image search: [Google]
Daniel_Johnston-Hi_How_Are_You.jpg
26KB, 220x340px
>>
File: 20161110_184150.jpg (1MB, 947x1512px) Image search: [Google]
20161110_184150.jpg
1MB, 947x1512px
>>70627982
This seems like an accurate way to describe Sufjan Stevens.
>>
>>70628680
In my opinion, a thread where we post albums we don't like but other people do sounds so much less interesting than one where we do that but then discuss why we feel that way.
>>70628721
If you cant give a reason then it doesn't seem like criticism anymore.
>>
>>70628796
>In my opinion, a thread where we post albums we don't like but other people do sounds so much less interesting than one where we do that but then discuss why we feel that way.
Cool.
>>
File: feelrorschach.png (237KB, 331x415px) Image search: [Google]
feelrorschach.png
237KB, 331x415px
>>70628781
you're wrong anon, sufjan makes me FEEL
>>
File: 1436763150189s.jpg (7KB, 250x209px) Image search: [Google]
1436763150189s.jpg
7KB, 250x209px
>>70628796
>this
Someone made a thread a while back talking about how theyve been browsing /mu/ for years and how now its gone to shit because all people do on here is call music good or bad with no reason why. although i've only been on here for around 2 years i really have started to notice this.
>>
>>70628763
I said that nothing you said sounds like actual criticism because it doesn't sound like actual criticism, it sounds like you're just throwing around a bunch of vague words

Please, tell me how exactly you know that his album had "no genuine sentiment" or why and how it's "forced" or "contrived"
Oh wait, you don't want to argue because it would derail the thread. As opposed to actually explaining what you mean, you'd just like to hide behind a bunch of meaningless buzz words to pretend that your point has any sort of validity, when in fact, it doesn't, unless you'd like to comment on the actual composition and content of the album. I'd genuinely love to hear it.
>>
>>70627885
This album is a 10/10. I'm not even going to bother making a fucking argument. Kill yourself. Impossible Soul is song of the century
>>
>>70628979
>Please, tell me how exactly you know that his album had "no genuine sentiment" or why and how it's "forced" or "contrived"
How? With more adjectives that you and that other asshole can go "How?" to. See, as noble as it is to claim you guys want a conversation that's actually not what you want at all. My premise was fucking great, and if you don't agree with it then you just don't agree with it. I could "go into more detail" but you and I both know that would just entail me doing a find and replace for all the adjectives I used and using other ones. Because you can't actually quantify an emotional response like that.

>Oh wait, you don't want to argue because it would derail the thread.
Too late now. When Sufjan fans have sand in their underpants they want the entire world to know.

>As opposed to actually explaining what you mean, you'd just like to hide behind a bunch of meaningless buzz words
Like "buzzword" for example? You're fucking trash. You are absolute fucking trash. This is what I mean when I say you have no interest in having a conversation. Because an actual conversation would put you at risk. Instead you and that other dickhead just want to try to undermine my opinion. There's no "exchange" being had here. He's better at it than you, though. He went to the effort of highlighting my keywords and demand more detail from me. You just used to amorphous "buzzword" because you saw other cool people on mu use it and you want to have that kind of power. You're a child.

> to pretend that your point has any sort of validity, when in fact, it doesn't, unless you'd like to comment on the actual composition and content of the album
Pretend what? Are you insane? What pretence do you think is happening here? The entire exchange went as follows: I said I couldn't believe people liked The Age of Adz, he asked me why, I told him. The only pretence here is imagined by you. This conversation is a lot of things, but it isn't pretentious.
>>
>>70629131
>I'm not even going to bother making a fucking argument.
BRAVO /mu/
>>
>>70629192
No, you can't explain your opinion because you're retarded, not because it's impossible.
>>
>>70629234
I don't give a shit. Age of Adz is AOTD. Trump 2020. The Holocaust didn't happen
>>
File: huh.png (418KB, 600x802px) Image search: [Google]
huh.png
418KB, 600x802px
>>70629192
That's a rather long non-answer

Jesus the more I read it the worse it gets
>>
OP is a fag. This thread sucks
>>70629192
Calm down buddy you didn't offer any insight whatsoever on how you think the album is contrived or emotionless. Learn to criticize art then come back and try to make another thread about age of adz without making random assumptions about it. Did you even listen to the fucking thing?
>>
File: van-morrison.jpg (899KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
van-morrison.jpg
899KB, 1200x1200px
Not exactly how OP phrased it, but I don't geddit. Van's vocals are way too loud compared to the instrumental and all of his vocal parts end up sounding really similar.
>>
>>70629374
That looks like Dave Mustaine
>>
File: thomyorke_benaffleck_altuniverse.jpg (143KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
thomyorke_benaffleck_altuniverse.jpg
143KB, 1200x900px
>>70629192
>gets picked on for using buzzwords
>uses many more buzzwords thinking it validates his piss poor method of expression
>"my premise was fucking great"
>>
File: image_10.jpg (89KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
image_10.jpg
89KB, 960x960px
>>70628859
Sick response anon.
>>
>>70629192
>This is what I mean when I say you have no interest in having a conversation. Because an actual conversation would put you at risk.
how ironic
>You're fucking trash. You are absolute fucking trash.
lmaoo u need to fucking relax. accept the fact that you're shit at forming any type of criticism on an album and are being called out on it. The use of "buzzwords" here is warranted because u really did nothing more that list vague and meaningless words to describe an album you dont enjoy.
>>
>>70628826
coolstorybro xD
>>
I honestly think the ostentatious amount of layering and singing brings this intense fury of sound to the listener. The quirkyness of the samples and electronic instruments took warming up to on my part but, in the end, the complete package of the album with its space opera vibes is something I'll never forget
>>
File: blurryface.png (193KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
blurryface.png
193KB, 500x500px
>>
>>70629192
That whole exchange got me triggered, I barely comment usually.
Fuck it, since you can't do it then imma do it.
Ima tell you why I fucking love Age of Adz.
Idgaf if it's too late, I do it for myself.

I'm right now listening to Vesuvius.

The lyrical idea of comparing God to the Vesuvius volcano I think is eminently powerful, since it has taken the lives of many with its mighty wrath. Sufjan surrenders to Vesuvius to let go of what holds him back. The literary process of then referring to himself by narrating someone else's advice definitely adds something to the listening experience. When it shifts from « Vesuvius » to « Sufjan », I get chills.

I always like that festive sound that Suffy's tracks sometimes have, like on Illinoise, notably. It's made to sound so because of the production choices (doubled voices, treble, I don't know) but at the same time, the melody and the theme of his lyrics are immensely melancholic. It just has this feeling that makes me want to dance, by myself, for no reason.

The glitchy sounds that fill the whole song is a theme for the whole album, as it is set in an obnoxious postmodern context of condensed overexposure, etc. Those remind me of Nine Inch Nails - Zero Sum, another great track.

My feet are resting on my woofer and the minimal but efficient bass really gets to do work with the kicks. I have school tomorrow early but it's past 3 am and I'm kept awake by Age of Adz. It literally does that.

This is one song. Don't tell me there's nothing to say about the whole album.

4chan has this atrocious habit of just being little faggots arguing with cynicism and laziness. I mean, music is about our humanity and we can only appreciate it by being humanely emotional about it.

Really hope someone reads this tho.
>>
>>70631757
I read it, nice post
Illinois used to be my favorite but I realized Adz was more consistent, and I'm a sucker for glitchy/electronic sounds
>>
>>70629192
if your high school English teacher gave you an essay prompt that said "explain in detail why you don't like age of adz" you would get a D+
>>
>>70632036
Thanks anon.
>>
>>70627982
I disagree
>>
Goddamn i love this album. You got me thinking about it
>>
>>70629401
hello me, meet the real me
>>
Trout Mask Replica
>>
>>70631757
Fuck yes, this. We need more like this. While this thread is just stupid and irrepailable at this point, we really do need more people actually defending and elaborating on their opinions. Subjectivity isn't worth shit if you can't actually describe/analyze why you like something.
>>
>>70627906
he's gay?
>>
File: Blonde-4-715x715.jpg (63KB, 715x715px) Image search: [Google]
Blonde-4-715x715.jpg
63KB, 715x715px
What's the appeal
>>
>>70629374
i used to not understand the appeal for Astral Weeks, then i lost my virginity while this was our background music, so now i get a boner everytime i listen to it
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.