[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://genius.com/a/why-rock-can-t -compete-with-hip-hop-in-2017

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 31

File: rock vs hh 2017.png (649KB, 804x673px) Image search: [Google]
rock vs hh 2017.png
649KB, 804x673px
https://genius.com/a/why-rock-can-t-compete-with-hip-hop-in-2017
>>
Good article. I will say though that a good chunk of rappers don’t innovate in the slightest when it comes to lyrics. Hip hop may be able to ‘sound like anything’ but there are a lot of rappers who talk mostly about a) being so high off this ___ b) ‘haters’ c) being the best. In a lot of ways, it’s falling into the same rut lyricly that rock is accused of falling into musically. Who knows what will come next, but hopefully it will include some innovation on all fronts.
>>
>>70615143
its correct. too many rock artist take decades to give fans new music and when they do its sub par releases.
even gira has figured that out which is why he usually releases an live album after the studio

mac demarco is probably the hope for *rock music*
>>
For what it's worth, another thing to keep in mind is that hip hop is a much easier format to innovate with at this point than rock music is. Rock has 30 extra years on hip hop, and has through the history of its existence, pushed/experimented with new ideas at a much higher rate than hip hop (until recently.)
>>
>>70615242
thats true but on the grounds of mainstream exposure I'd argue hip hop fans get exposed to "experimental" sounds more often than majority of rock fans did.
>>
>>70615186
>mac demarco is probably the hope for *rock music*

so rock is fucked huh
>>
existential hip hop is going to be the next wave
>>
look at atrocity exhibition

10x more innovative than any rock album released in the last decade

actual innovative stuff, not post-punk rehashes of thrice worn out rock tropes
>>
File: 1438306293088.png (802KB, 1919x1079px) Image search: [Google]
1438306293088.png
802KB, 1919x1079px
>>70615186
I'd say he has the biggest cult following of any rock artist in the last year, comparable to Arctic Monkeys is the 2000's when they were huge.
In all honesty, considering how most popular rap songs, the lyrics take a backseat to the beat, I'm not entirely sure the future looks so great for hip hop itself. If the production is what keeps people coming back, its most likely the world is moving into the direction of homogenized EDM bangers of world music. Something like TNGHT, P.C. Music, or Darq y Freaker, is where I see music heading.
Just look at how popular all those FL studious beat producers are on soundcloud and how cancerous vaporwave has become. Those hardly have lyrics outside of samples but are surfacing into the mainstream slowly. If anything, I'd say its the next logical conclusion to popular music. Aesthetic/eccentric production in completely synthesized, danceable beats
>>
>>70615356
Would help if Danny Brown didn't rap at all on the album
>>
>>70615281
Beatles
Pink Floyd
David Bowie
Radiohead

all say otherwise. Yes these guys aren't ultimately the most "experimental" musicians. Yes there is hip more experimental than a lot of stuff these musicians have made. But in terms of what hip hop fans commonly get exposed to, it's much simpler shit. And this is just mainstream, too. We got a little bit underground, and it won't even be close.
>>
File: 1462909910321.jpg (456KB, 1266x1053px) Image search: [Google]
1462909910321.jpg
456KB, 1266x1053px
Stopped reading when they mentioned Straight White Dudes

is this an actual joke, how can people possibly believe this utter drivel. Hip-Hop is just as meaningless and pointless as they proclaim Pop to be. Most """""""""messages""""""""" in Hip-Hop don't ever resonate with people and then most times the production is just as forgettable as the messages.

Rock is not dying - music is.

>>70615186
holy shit be bait
>>
>>70615356
Explain how it's innovative please. Just because it's loud doesn't mean it's new or "avant-garde"
>>
>>70615560
post good rock music pls
>>
>>70615653
Rock music was never good.
>>
File: 1481911017748.jpg (68KB, 619x457px) Image search: [Google]
1481911017748.jpg
68KB, 619x457px
there's only one thing that can save us from this cancer

#BackItBack2017
>>
>>70615143
this is a garbage post OP

I do think modern rock artists need to just go back to writing tasty jams that are interesting in some way
too much experimentation and trying to "innovate" or deconstruct genres usually ends up sounding like shit, and most of the time it isn't organic

just being a straight up solid songwriter is always better than relying on any gimmick
>>
File: tmp_13416-original_449-464325264.jpg (762KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_13416-original_449-464325264.jpg
762KB, 1000x1000px
this beatles album has more variation in 34 minutes than all 30-some years of hip hop

prove me wrong (hint: you can't)
>>
>>70615810
here u go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67cx9M2c51M
>>
Who really cares DESU?
>>
File: 1451625657418.jpg (20KB, 306x325px) Image search: [Google]
1451625657418.jpg
20KB, 306x325px
>>70615834
>Shabazz Palaces
>variation
are you fucking delusional
>>
>>70615356
You know there's more music than just what you see on /mu/, right?
>>
File: you.png (3KB, 284x115px) Image search: [Google]
you.png
3KB, 284x115px
>>70615810
>discussion about how modern rock really can't innovate any further because it already went past its peak
>posts an album from 1966
>>
>>70615932
not an argument
>>
>>70615143
>compete

What does this even mean? Teenagers won't stop picking up guitars just because the charts are dominated by rap music.
>>
Popular rock has been in a rut for nearly a decade.
>>
We need a new Nirvana that makes rock popular again and make a new wave of rock bands surge 2bh
>>
I heard that you and your band have sold your guitars and bought turntables

I heard that you and your band have sold your turntables and bought guitars
>>
>>70616018
arctic monkeys did that

just that all the bands that followed were shit
>>
>Compete
Nice buzzword faggots
>>
>>70616018
no we don't
that's what hiphop is taking care of now
you're just too much of a pleb to see past your retarded prejudice
>>
>>70616050
But Arctic Monkeys are shit. We need a real good band
>>
>>70616064
so why don't you make a good band?
>>
>>70616057
>your retarded prejudice
What retarded prejudice? I like hip-hop myself but I like rock even more and I want more bands and music to come out. I don't want it to die
>>
File: RockisDead.jpg (132KB, 679x833px)
RockisDead.jpg
132KB, 679x833px
Oh. Another Rock is "dead" op-ed.

Music/cultural critics have been writing rock's obituary since the 70's, when Disco took the world by storm and was proclaimed the "next big thing."

The only reason people think Hip-Hop is highly innovative and "always fresh," as the writer claims, is because the majority of Hip-Hop fans are (and will always be) children. A 16 year old hip-hop fan who thinks Lil' [inset name here] or Yung [insert name here] latest "epic" is the greatest thing ever thinks such because he simply hasn't heard a lot of music, in Hip-Hop and other genres. The writer illustrating how Lil' Rapper#242665 doesn't know any Tupac songs should prove that point.

I don't dislike Hip-Hip, but it hasn't "innovated," from a technical/lyrical/aesthetic standpoint, over the past decade any more than Rock has. And the writer knows it. It's why he has to digress into propping up things about Hip-Hop's diversity and Rock's straight-white-male syndrome to drive his point home, because if he argued his point on musical grounds, he wouldn't have much to stand on.

I agree that Hip-Hop is ubiquity is drowning Rock out, but that's because any moron with FL Studio and a cheap laptop can lay down some production in his bedroom, find a rapper, autotune him, upload it to youtube/soundcloud/bandcamp, and bam, instant distribution for something that won't sound completely terrible (from a mixing standpoint). For Rock music to even sound halfway decent, you need a proper studio.

Rock is getting swarmed by Hip-Hop's democratic barrier to entry, not because it's intrinsically more "innovative." More people producing=equals more chance of a "hit."
>>
>>70616064
well they've made 5 #1 selling albums in the uk

if that wasn't enough to inspire a decent rock band or two nothing will
>>
>>70616090
>For Rock music to even sound halfway decent, you need a proper studio.
okay genius so hows a kid working minimum wage gonna be able to afford studio time?
>>
>>70616086
I'm sorry anon, it's just this whole discussion reeks of /pol/posting and I got too defensive I guess
I like rock as well, but truth is hip hop is so fucking lit lately that I can't see guitar bands reaching such levels in the near future
>>
reminder that genius.com is a hip hop website so this article is inherently biased
>>
>>70616117
Performance college courses, mine had a fully geared studio and expert engineers.
>>
>>70615810
Aren't you just proving the OP correct? That innovation in rock is in the past but hip-hop still has room to grow?
>>
>>70616090
>hip hop is not actually innovative, it's just that all innovators are using hip hop because it's easy to access!

>>
Fucking kek. So many delicious white rockist tears itt.
>>
>>70616168
and how is that kid gonna be able to afford college again?
>>
>>70616064
there has been Alt-J, Tame Impala, Mac Demarco
not saying those bands are amazing or anything, but they're pretty popular and I'd say they're better than shit like Black Keys/Arctic Monkeys
>>
>>70616117

He can't.

That's the point I was making. When you have 65 million aspiring bedroom DJs and "producers" around the world throwing shit at the wall compared to half-a-million aspiring rock bands, most of which will need hours and hours of practice to even perform a halfway decent cover of Smoke on the Water, more of the former shit is going to stick, especially considering most of the former will typically distribute via social media, where kids find their music today.

That is why Hip-Hop "resonates more" today, not because it's breaking new ground from an innovation standpoint. It instantly can connect with kids, where Rock can't.
>>
>>70616263
good comment
>>
>>70616197
>hip hop is not actually innovative

I didn't say that. I said hip-hop's "innovation" from an artistic standpoint has been more or less about the same with rock's over the past decade or two. The people who think that the Lils, Yungs, et al are breaking ground in their genre where modern Rock acts aren't in their genre haven't heard much Hip-Hop nor Rock.
>>
>>70615143
There are many things to point out:

The article needs a glossary to begin with, not because there are words that we might not understand (rockist and such), but it seems that the author uses them within his own understanding. An example would be "rock" as pretty much anything with guitars and "hip hop" anything with someone rapping.

Second, while rock music was popular during the 70s and 80s, rock artists weren't really that dominant in the charts, same thing in the 90s. Pop music has always dominated the charts, to pretend that it has always been a strong force in the charts just to prove his point is wrong.

There's great irony when it comes to the racial remarks, as the author ignores that the current success of hip hop is partially thanks to white people pushing it; /mu/, pitchfork and pretty much every "indie" reviewer out there is white.

Both genres are alternative music, and have changed greatly ever since their conception. To pretend one or the other have stagnated is just being lazy.
>>
>>70616263
good post
>>
File: thumbs-up1.jpg (473KB, 1698x1131px)
thumbs-up1.jpg
473KB, 1698x1131px
>>70616359
>>
I feel like this article should be putting more emphasis on conventional rock sound rather than the instruments themselves. The soundscapes you can create now are practically endless due to modern technology, pedals and effects. Also, to say one is more innovative than the other is BS. It just comes down to who can mix and match the best genres together. Music is gonna hit a wall sooner or later and what are we gonna do then? Listen to noise? Oh wait, we're already doing that.
>>
>>70615571
Name one artist who has fused post-punk with hip-hop

Stop moving goalposts, dipshit.
>>
>>70616359
>pretty much anything with guitars

I find it funny how he arbitrarily bounded Rock music to that.

I guess Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard aren't "rock music" then?

I also think he might've done it in the anticipation of commentators pointing out the Death Grips as an example of a modern day "innovative" rock band (I'm not a big fan of them or anything, but they've been arguably the most relevant "underground" group of the past few years).

And yes, the Death Grips have more in common with rock than with hip-hop, from stage presence to attitude to their music in general. I don't care that MC Ride "rhymes," so did Chuck Berry.
>>
>>70616263

I'm not even a hip hop fan, but on average hip hop from 2006 sounded a lot more different than contemporary music compared to rock music from the same year.
What you are saying is basically true, but hip hop also has more opportunities to innovate and experimenting, being a much younger genre.
>>
>>70616498
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPfDgFfoEns
>>
>>70616526
That isn't post punk mixed with hip-hop though.. The sample is from an early 70s psyche phase song.
>>
File: blondie-rapture_s_2.jpg (734KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
blondie-rapture_s_2.jpg
734KB, 1000x1000px
>>70616498
>Name one artist who has fused post-punk with hip-hop
>>
File: 1480443831517.png (265KB, 501x408px) Image search: [Google]
1480443831517.png
265KB, 501x408px
>>70616506
>And yes, the Death Grips have more in common with rock than with hip-hop
>the death grips
>>
>>70615160
thanks patrickworld
>>
What would you guys say was the last big innovation in rock?
>>
>>70615935
not true
>>
>>70616606
according to this guy the beatles>>70615810
>>
straight white males baka
>>
the only problem is that Hip Hop is only big in north america, i'm from south america, we have rap artist here but it's not the same thing hip hop can't be big n the rest of the world because of the language, rock can be huge everywere cause "mu" riffs, rythms and shit, just the melody not the lyrics
>>
>>70616606
Hard to point it out, but it keeps evolving.
>>
>>70615143
Stop shilling this SJW crap.
>>
>>70616606

There's never one big "innovation," in music (in anything really). It always proceeds (or even regresses, as sometimes "innovations" can be throwbacks to something forgotten/underappreciated. Think Progressive Rock to Punk) in small steps.
>>
>>70616606

innovation:
blackgaze
BIG innovation:
probably post-rock
>>
>>70616701
New wave? Think just how many subgenres and subcultures that formed.
>>
>>70616263
so true

also it's much harder to make rock if you're completely solo, not the same for bedroom producers and hip-hop artists.
if you want to make genuinely good rock, forming a band is pretty much essential unless you own all the instruments/gear you need and can play all of them proficiently, which is unlikely. and you'd have to record one instrument at a time. and even if you did do that, it will never have the same feel as a recorded live session of musicians on separate instruments. also if you're mainly a guitar player who has to record his own drums/bass you'll likely never make a drum/bass track as good as a dedicated drummer or bassist would

so on top of needing an order of magnitude more money to buy the necessary gear, you need to spend way more time practicing, AND you need to find interested musicians to collaborate with you and they need to share roughly the same artistic vision that you do

and then after all of that, you gotta make sure your shit don't stink
>>
post-grunge is the ultimate distillation of rock music into the mainstream. it has near universal appeal, is fairly catchy, and disposable. it's the ultimate music product, which all popular music strives to be. why would you bother making new rock music when the genre has already actualized?
>>
>>70615160
rock in it's prime was in the furthest thing from a rut musically and lyrically. Hip-hop has never reached the peaks of rock yet
>>
protip: it doesn't matter, you know why?
electronic music > rapshit > rockshit
bleep bloops are more innovatite than your crap
>>
>>70616774
lol edm doesn't count m8
>>
File: 1484418643562.jpg (14KB, 272x285px) Image search: [Google]
1484418643562.jpg
14KB, 272x285px
>>70616791
you know i'm not talking about EDM
>>
>>70615560
I do think music is dying, and it's because of this post modern society.

When a truly sincere album is released it's labeled a meme.
>>
>>70616822
you are tho
>>
>>70616606
slint - spiderland and my bloody valentine - loveless.

both happened to be released in the same year, 1991.
>>
>>70616892
lol no
>>
>>70615160
Check out kool A.D. he parodies a lot of hip hop tropes in unique ways
>>
>>70616648
Rap is huge in Europe as well
>>
rock needs a nirvana.
>>
Why do these critics who write these rock hit pieces always purposely constrict rock to their personal definition ("Rock is blues based guitar music only!") while granting Hip-Hop complete categorical freedom? ("Hip-Hip can be anything!")

They both started from a limited framework, rock with its foundation in blues and country and hip-hop with its sampling of drum breaks that all kind of sounding the same, as they needed to in order to keep the block party going.

But, per these critics, Hip=Hop is allowed to totally deviate from its origins without penalty while rock can't.

Same thing happened in the 80's. New Wave wasn't considered "rock music," and you had similar critics proclaiming rock's death, killed by the all mighty synth and drum machines. Now we pretty much consider New Wave a sub-genre of rock.

Rock fails to be "innovative" for these people because they dismiss any innovative rock music as something else.
>>
>>70616515
>but on average hip hop from 2006 sounded a lot more different than contemporary music compared to rock music from the same year
2006 Hip hop involved the same old shit since the 90s (Roots, Ghostface), the kind of funky gangsta shit that was popular in the first half of 2006 (Clipse), and the big one being Lupe's first album which was a poppier approach to conscious hip hop (literally making conscious hip hop but with a sound closer to contemporary music.) It's also the year that Donuts came out, but that was more a string of small beats of very typical Dilla that was already done. The real ground broken was with Dalek's The Streets All Amped.

The same year had Arctic Monkeys come out with their first album that sparked that bit of stuff for rock. Cult Of Luna released Somewhere Along The Highway which did that Neurosis/Isis style atmosludge in a way never done before and still not done by their later records. Negura Bunget released some sorta weird folk ambient sounding black metal. Dolorian did dark ambient and funeral doom. Liars doing ambient and noise rock/no wave. Except the Arctic Monkeys which became the trendsetter, the rest are FAR more than the contemporary music from that time period than hip hop.

Do you really think that hip hop was a lot more different during a time period when the most popular hits were hip hop and RnB singles?

Either way, another point being brought up here is that despite the potential, hip hop doesn't innovate at a rate compared to rock.
>>
>>70617102
i agree with you, but can you name one truly great OR truly innovative rock album in the past 10 years? i can't, and i'm upset about that.
>>
>website called "genius"
>circlejerks rap
kek
>>
>>70617130
>great OR truly innovative rock album in the past 10 years? i can't, and i'm upset about that.

What's your definition of innovative?

Furthermore, this will always come back to the subjective. What's innovative and exciting to you might not be for me and vice versa.

It also depends on what genre you've listen to more. If you've listened to considerably more rock music, hip-hop will no doubt sound "fresher."
>>
>>70617130
Hello everyone. Nice to meet you. We are Midori.

But the thing is, if you don't like the direction a genre has taken, you won't find anything innovative or great.
>>
>>70617202
>jazz punk
>rock
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
>>
>>70617187
just name something. i get that music is subjective, but if something is truly great or innovative, people will recognize it.
>>
>>70617218
>noise rock
>not rock
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
>>
>>70617130
>>
>>70617218
If you're going to limit rock that much, then might as well take away everything that has given hip hop an edge this decade in terms of innovation like Shabazz Palaces, Lil Ugly Mane, etc.
>>
>>70617319
no if hes gonna claim a shitty jazz fusion album as great moden rock
mine as well be done with this discussion and add any kind of electronic music being made today

didn't autechre call themselves hip hop.
>>
>>70617002
ok maybe n britain, but in france you only have french rappers, they are not gonna make it n america, same shit in sweeden etc
>>
>>70616774
>electronic
HAHAHAHA organic instruments always prevail
>>
>>70617373
um have you forgotten yung lean m8?
also forgotten those korean rappers who had a hit too
>>
>>70617130
The entire Swans post-rock tetralogy which combined early Swans with a more established post-rock formula.

Deafheaven's Sunbather added screamo style elements to blackgaze thus sounding very different from even their peers. Their other record New Bermuda was like post-rock Slayer plus black metal.

Blackstar does this weird electro jazz rock thing.

Lost In The Dream by The War On Drugs is like some weird psychedelic dreamy take on Springsteen inspired stuff.

These are just the top of my head.
>>
>>70617229

I'm not necessarily a fan of any these, but some groups that trying to innovate:

Death Grips (why people label them a hip-hop band, I have no idea)
Battles
Animal Collective
Viet Cong

To name a few. I know these are "/mu/core" and have been discussed to death on here and many people here are probably bored with those acts, but they've released notable material nonetheless.

And then you have totally out there stuff like Bull of Heaven, with 30 hour long songs.
>>
>>70617347
But it's not jazz fusion it's still very clearly rock music. Have you listened to it?
>>
>>70617419
not since you can sample them :^)
>>
>>70617511
the other three I agree with but

>Viet Cong

have you never listened to post-punk that came before them?
>>
>>70617505
>Lost In The Dream by The War On Drugs
beer commercial rock LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

>Deafheaven's Sunbather added screamo style elements
lantlos did it before them m8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh5iinG-CtE

swans i agree with you.
lol on blackstar
>>70617532
Midori (ミドリ?) was a four-member jazz-punk fusion band formed in 2003 in Osaka, Japan featuring Mariko on vocals, Yoshitaka on drums, Keigo Iwami on bass, and Hajime on keyboard. Their disbandment was publicly announced by vocalist Mariko Gotō on December 25, 2010, with their last show titled "Sayonara, Gotō-san" being played on December 28.
>>
>>70617552

Sure. But I like their take on it.

Like I said, "referencing" can also be a form of innovation if you reference something really well and add your personal flavor to it.
>>
>>70617594
>Midori (ミドリ?) was a four-member jazz-punk fusion band formed in 2003 in Osaka, Japan featuring Mariko on vocals, Yoshitaka on drums, Keigo Iwami on bass, and Hajime on keyboard. Their disbandment was publicly announced by vocalist Mariko Gotō on December 25, 2010, with their last show titled "Sayonara, Gotō-san" being played on December 28.
Not that guy, but it would have been easier to respond "no, I have not listened to them".
>>
File: SufjanStevens_TheAgeOfAdz.jpg (642KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
SufjanStevens_TheAgeOfAdz.jpg
642KB, 900x900px
>>70617130
>>
>>70617619
no I have lots of times. even rym has the same genre picked
try again
>>
>>70617645
If you trust wikipedia's description of things, let's see their description of jazz punk:

>Punk jazz describes the amalgamation of elements of the jazz tradition (usually free jazz and jazz fusion of the 1960s and 1970s) with the instrumentation or conceptual heritage of punk rock
>punk rock
>rock
good job, good effort
>>
>>70615143
since when, legit music websites hire dumb /mu/-posters??
>>
>>70617594
>beer commercial rock LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Dunno how you got that from them, but nope.

>lantlos did it before them m8
>Sunbather ADDED SCREAMO STYLE ELEMENTS
Lantlos didn't do anything like that, and sound far more like other blackgaze. I made a very particular point to what Deafheaven does on Sunbather that makes them different from a band like Alcest of Lantlos.

>lol on blackstar
find me electro jazz rock

>Midori...
So...you haven't listened to them? It's rock music with jazzy chords/runs being played along with it to give the music more texture. The jazzier tracks sound more like punky takes on Soft Machine style jazz rock.
>>
>>70617130
deerhoof - the magic from last year
>>
>>70617617
I like the first album too, haven't listened to the second one.

>Like I said, "referencing" can also be a form of innovation if you reference something really well and add your personal flavor to it.

I disagree because they don't really bring anything that new to the table and there are shitloads of post-punk bands "referencing" older stuff equally failing to innovate. I think Deathconsciousness would be a better example of an innovative album from the past 10 years kinda in that style.
>>
>>70617229
I want to bring back black sabbathy/early Ozzy shit but it sometimes seems like it's just me and a few 50 year olds who like that stuff anymore.

Hard to find people who want to play that type of music, I'm also not surprised.
>>
>>70617756
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjDwit8ryEA
>>
>>70616506
>the Death Grips
>innovative
underground
>rock
i love this new pasta
>>
>>70617767
people still love that kind of music, it just isn't done today. if black sabbath didn't exist and came back with their first two albums in 2017, they would be the biggest band in the world. people still dig that shit, just nobody is making it.
>>
>...they often link musical blandness to the notion that straight white dudes with guitars don’t exactly have the most urgent and compelling stories to tell
Oh boy here we fucking go
>>
File: Piero.jpg (7KB, 209x204px)
Piero.jpg
7KB, 209x204px
>Hip-hop established a significantly different paradigm of music-making. Shifting the emphasis from the melody to the rhythm was not simply an extension of what funk music had already done: it was a Copernican revolution that changed the very meaning of the word "song". The elegant melody of pop music was a negation of reality, whereas the intricate rhythms of hip-hop music was an affirmation of reality. Where melodic songs were, fundamentally, meant to offer a respite from the real world, a hip-hop song was a way to perform a total immersion into it. Pop music was about being a victim or a protagonist: hip-hop music was about being a witness. Pop music was about making storytelling memorable and mnemonic: hip-hop music was about making storytelling as coldly factual as news reporting. The sonic montage made possible by sampling techniques added a further dimension. Pop conceived art as order: hip-hop conceived art as chaos. As electronic devices replaced the traditional instruments, composition became a branch of engineering, and engineering became a way to reflect the chaos of the (urban) environment.

Is he right?
>>
>>70615143
hi Ken
>>
>>70617836
Shifting the emphasis from the melody to the rhythm
is where popular music took a nosedive
>>
>>70617836
he's always right.
>>
>>70617815
Thanks for the hope. I currently am still learning actual music theory but I think when I'm ready I'll work towards that. I've played guitar for years but just the last few months trying take it more seriously.

Cheers bud
>>
Neither rock or hiphop still can't compete with EDM.
Prove me wrong.
[spoiler]protip you can't[/spoiler]
>>
File: frodo.png (214KB, 400x399px) Image search: [Google]
frodo.png
214KB, 400x399px
If hip-hop is built on samples, what happens when they run out of worthwhile recordings to sample?
>>
>>70617911
They sample each other
>>
>>70617832
That's exactly where I stopped caring about what the author said. Not everything needs to have gay ass identity politics forced into them.

You can't go anywhere or do anything without this stupid shit being brought up.
>>
>>70617836
Fuck no. Hip hop has just as much of that "negation of reality" bullshit. Hip hop also has victims and protagonists. Hip hop is rarely ever factual and often exaggerated, with early MCs being inspired by goddamn Muhammad Ali's troll speeches. Musically it waters down what the "electronic music" umbrella expanded through sampling and complex chaotic rhythmic play.
>>
>>70617911
>>70617925

Do what dubstep did and remix a remix of the remix of remix by the original artist featuring remix artist of the remix.
>>
ITT triggered Whites/rockists.
>>
>>70617911
they sample more rock music
>>
>>70617832

Lol. But this is a "compelling" story.

Ya I should've never ever took her home
Ya I should've just boned
Ya fantasy on my phone
Ya hit it from the back watch a nigga bless you
Ya crying in my arms like a nigga wrecked you
Talking about a broken heart running to the restroom

Also, why do weepy white hipsters pretend to "identity" with the content that most rappers rap about (guns, drugs, hoes, the hood, etc, etc).
>>
>>70617925
>>70617950
>>70617965
I can't get away from the fact that the most innovative new music is built almost entirely on either previously recorded sounds, or electronic imitations of previously recorded sounds.

There's something fundamentally fucked about that.
>>
>>70617886
make sure you are self aware and know your flaws, though. don't release anything until its comparable to black sabbath. only then do you have a shot. good luck.
>>
>>70617981
thats how innovation works
>>
>>70617992
Oh yeah I get ya. In a way I'm like Randy Rhoads was - I'll sit for 4 hours replaying until I get it right.

Still got ways to go though. Thanks
>>
>>70615356
Listen to Traumnoville by Coin Locker Kid.
>>
>>70617981

You can say Hip-Hop, or Pop music in general, is at where art was at in the 50's and 60's, when collage and pop art were the most innovative thing going in the art world.
>>
>>70618156
Same problem. Fine art is a joke nowadays.
>>
>>70617130
Honestly, Exmilitary. It's rap rock basically.
>>
>>70617966
Because those cool negr-I mean, PEOPLE OF COLOR are talking and, like, it's SOOOOO important that we listen to their lived experience!!!!1
>>
>>70617966
>>70618353
>>>/pol/
>>
>>70617832
hence why I love cunninlynguists so much, self aware about sjw nonsense and make music for fun
>>
>>70618415
Guy in the article linked a song claiming it has excellent songwriting, even though it's based around a basic bitch chord progression but slathered in dozens of effects and sung by asian females so it's giving us their "unique perspective".
>>
>>70615970
They might pick up a midi or a laptop instead though.
>>
>>70616606
Post punk revival (I.E. Post rock merged with post punk)
>>
>>70618763
that shit was done in the 70s. its called a revival for a reason. no innovation was done.
>>
>>70618898
I think it distinguishes itself from the first post punk wave by using the post rock elements like horn and non guitar string arrangements along with a "crescendo core" emphasis.
>>
>>70615143
Hip-Hop just sounds boring to me. There's a dominant aesthetic of materialistic urban life that's just incredibly stale. The percussion is usually just trendy copypasta beats, not original for the most part. It seems like hip-hop artists are generally more concerned with seeming cool than anything else. The strong point is the little experimental synth noises that you find every once in a while, but they don't really go anywhere as they would in rock music. There's no hip-hop equivalent of alternative/progressive rock like The Flaming Lips, Yes, Tool, Frank Zappa, Pink Floyd, Primus, Mike Patton, etc. Not that hip-hop can't improve, of course. (I'm waiting for electronic music to evolve into the same level as orchestral instrumentation)
>>
>>70619041
>The Flaming Lips, Yes, Tool, Frank Zappa, Pink Floyd, Primus, Mike Patton, etc.
you posted nothing but artists that haven't made anything in the post 10s

stop trolling and stay on topic
>>
>>70616506

>Death Grips have more in common with rock than with hip-hop

Bull. Shit.

Ex, TMS, and arguably NLDW as well is straight-up hip-hop, just very aggressive and industrial. GP and NOTM are more comparable to experimental electronic music than either rock or hip-hop. JD and BP are not necessarily hip-hop but they have more in common with punk than typical rock.
>>
>>70615834
Yeah it has "leexperimental" memes but it's there's no real emotion to them. They're not especially happy, sad, angry, funny, scary. Pretty much all of the good parts are just "chill." Which is nice, but not varied. I think the vocals are mainly to blame.
>>
>>70616018
No, Nirvana is trash. We need a new Pink Floyd or something.
>>
>>70619041
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02w8N-sdYRY

underground scene is full of alternative artists. it's also the genre that relies on lyrical strength the most, genuine poets far from unoriginal.
>>
>>70615143
>Trump wins
>thinking pop punk won't come back
People are already comparing him to Bush, you think motherfuckers won't get bored and form bands as protest?
>>
>>70619240

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPfcEVcvpsQ
>>
>>70617981
you're thinking of it wrong

sampling is like using a sound palette

imagine visual artists and painters, as time goes on human beings have created so many styles and techniques, if you were a painter, and you used a color palette that an artist had already used in the past, but you painted something entirely different in a different style (say the original was impressionist but you paint something in surrealist) why would there be any problem with that?

obviously some sampling is blatantly lazy and basically theft, but if it's done right it's the same as creating a palette of sounds for you to use and make something original.

sounds are just waves we measure by the compression/decompression of air molecules, whether they're analog or digital sounds affects their harmonic content, but just barely, and we can know exactly what frequencies make up the difference, and generate or remove them if we want to.
so the concept of "authentic" and "unoriginal" sounds is flawed
>>
I think the worst thing about modern Hip-Hop is the overuse of sampled 808 snares, 808 hi-hats, and 808 bass drums. I also hate how they add in an exaggerated baseline to the point that you feel like the club speakers are the epicenter of an earthquake.
>>
>>70619204
>Ex
>straight-up hip-hop

>more in common with punk than typical rock
if you're going by the articles definition of rock then punk is rock so you said
>more in common with rock than typical rock
in their eyes
>>
I have never heard a hip hop song that can fully capture human sadness, not just superficial shit like relationships or drug addiction, but real heartache brought on by nostalgia and a sense of running out of time and being less than what you thought you'd be when you got here.
So I'll stick with rock
>>
File: folder.jpg (47KB, 1400x1400px) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
47KB, 1400x1400px
>>70619419
I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside: An Album by Earl Sweatshirt
>>
>>70619155
>
Exactly. I didn't say current rock music was good, it's mostly shit just like hip-hop. The genre doesn't matter, it's just a level of musicianship that's lacking nowadays, probably because every common man woman and child have access to music production tools. Most things in general are shit to mediocre, so when there's a huge surge in music being released, that ratio increases. Also three of those artists have continually released music in this decade, you don't even know what you're talking about you degenerate shit-fucking jizzlob.
>>
>>70619419
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx9khQXaFpg
>>
>>70619419
Same, general lack of vocal melody in hip-hop combined with repetitive stagnated beats equals a lack of emotion in general.
>>
>Hip hop is dominating because unlike rock n' roll it could sound like anything.
Stupidest shit I ever read, rock has evolved to a point where it is very far away from it's origin, the sub-genres of rock are extended and differ so much that of course shit will sound silly if you try to emulate rock from the 60's and 70's - it became obsolete, it's like if in 15 years from now people will try to emulate RUN-DMC
>>
>>70619541
The instrumentation is what's sad, and the instrumentation is not hip-hop. The only thing making this song hip-hop is the rapping, and it does not convey sadness, vocally.
>>
>>70615143
I don't get why people keep insisting rap is innovative in any way or that that's why it's popular. The changes in rap are no more or less drastic than how all pop genres change over time. Juju in the Beat (a top 40 hit this year) is just two kids rapping over a Crunk beat from a song from (I believe) 2006. It's popular and rock isn't for 4 main reasons. One is that it's a lot easier to make so there's just a lot of it. Two is that people that play instruments are either gearing their music toward less mainstream genres (jazz, metal, post rock) or they're playing country. Three is that people who make rock got sick of making top 40 shit after a while basically after pop punk died. And four is that (this is gonna sound pol for a sec) white masculinity is considered negative in the mainstream and anything that can be construed as white masculinity in music is considered corny or offensive. Black masculinity is currently promoted and seen as positive.
>>
>>70619464
Have listened to it; not at all what I said
>>
>>70619598
>it does not convey sadness

The whole album embodies sadness. You don't need to be weeping to convey that.
>>
>>70619419
Black people don't experience clinical depression, only situational sadness
>>
>>70619694
It's exactly what you said right down to the T.
>>
>>70616606

Definitely nothing big since 1991
>>
>>70616606
Definitely shoegaze
>>
>>70616064
They're about as good as Nirvana, not even baiting.
>>
>>70616606

albinis abrasive guitar sound.
>>
>>70619419
>but real heartache brought on by nostalgia and a sense of running out of time and being less than what you thought you'd be when you got here
Are you underage? That's not "real heartache," you idiot. That's hardly anything more than you feeling sorry for yourself for being an underachiever. You just want something that specifically relates to you.
>>
>>70617911
they feature pitbull.
>>
File: rap is the new rock.jpg (58KB, 480x715px) Image search: [Google]
rap is the new rock.jpg
58KB, 480x715px
>>
i still dont know whats americans infatuation with niggers.

im from southamerica, white southamerica (no memes here), and we dont give a fuck about negroes here, they are just funny guys that do their africanoid shit, but we dont have them 24/7 in all our radios, they dont even have 1% radio presence here. because their lives are different to ours, i dont give a fuck about some poverty story of a negro trying to send money to his home on haiti. LOL, can you imagine it? but americans love that shit, i really dont know why.
>>
>>70619155
>you posted nothing but artists that haven't made anything in the post 10s
Within the last 7 years, the Flaming Lips put out seven albums; Yes two; Tool is putting out an album this year; Pink Floyd one; Primus two with Claypool putting out two more albums himself; Mike Patton was involved with ten.
>>
File: niggers.jpg (79KB, 350x218px) Image search: [Google]
niggers.jpg
79KB, 350x218px
>>70620001
>Kanye
>Prog
Hol up there was that one King Crimson sample, so it's prog!
>>
>>70620119
>falling for bait this fucking easily
Just put a goddamn bullet in your head.
>>
>>70620153
>bait
Sure, everyone screaming WE WUZ POST PUNK after Atrocity Exhibition came out is merely pretending
>>
File: Liturgy_-_The_Ark_Work_cover.jpg (36KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Liturgy_-_The_Ark_Work_cover.jpg
36KB, 300x300px
>>70615356
>>
I'd be fine with this if the Hip Hop community wasn't inherently racist.
If a bunch of white rappers started cropping up. Enough to make hip hop perfectly 50% black 50% white you'd get a ton of
>ayo whitey tryna take our music
>fuckn racists tryna steel uz music bruh
>FUCKING WHITE MALES TAKING ANOTHER BLACK CREATION
>>
>>70621215
>biggest selling rapper of all time is white
>>
>>70618955
but that's not really what post-rock is.
>>
>>70617832
who the fuck listens to music for stories? If I wanted stories (I don't), I would read a novel
>>
File: eminem haters btfo 2.png (327KB, 932x813px) Image search: [Google]
eminem haters btfo 2.png
327KB, 932x813px
>>70621215

>
>>
>>70620232
underrated post
>>
>>70621241
And everyone still makes fun of him. Eminem is a product of his time. If you released his music today he would not have sold as much as he has.
Eminem had the fortune to start rapping in a time dominated by Nu Metal, spiked-frosted tip hair, etc etc.
>>70621435
By community I mean the general public. Also wasn't hating on Eminem.
>>
>>70621215
shut up god it's cringeworthy how mad you are
>>
>>70619236
You mean Radiohead?
>>
>>70621520
I'm just running up the walls right now
>>
>>70621515
>is a product of his time
This has to be the silliest criticism for anything I've ever heard. Did you even think about this before typing it? EVERYTHING is a product of its time.
>>
>>70616606
The answers to this question prove their point
>>
>>70621515
Aesop Rock? Kno? Action Bronson? Plan B?

There's a load of respected white rappers out there. Obviously will always be the minority but I disagree entirely that the community is racist.
>>
>>70615560
There is a Billboard article titled "best alternative bands set to break out in 2017". The entire list was all female indy bands and one fag band. Like seriously? you really expect me to believe that shit?

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7633354/rock-alternative-bands-artists-to-watch-2017
>>
>>70617911
It'll never happen lol

>>70617981
You're fucking wrong dude. The fact that

>most innovative new music is built almost entirely on either previously recorded sounds, or electronic imitations of previously recorded sounds.

is actually fine.

And people who criticize that need to go and try to make a successful "beat" or they can shut the fuck up.
>>
>>70617130
Zs and Battles

>>70619041
What about the Constructus Corporation?

>>70619419
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9-eKhCukW8
>>
>>70621630
You know what I mean
>>70621655
Of course they're respected and a minority, but I doubt if, like I said, a huge influx of white rappers cropped up, there wouldn't be a whole lot of Hip Hop listening blue haired millenials oozing tumblr posts about how white people are ruining hip hop or something.
>>
>>70615143
Yeah because there are so many rappers out right now that are original and culturally relevant. Battles innovates in one album more than these rappers do their entire careers. Young Thug, Lil Yachty, Uzi Vert, 21 Savage, and Kendrick Lamar. Those are the only rappers anyone even gives a shit about right now lol.
>>
>>70615143
There hasn't been a good hip-hop album since the 90's.
>>
Hip hop and rock both existed in the 80's and 90s, they both exist now. The culture swinging in their favor moved money, attention, and resources from rock bands to rappers. It will take another cultural swing to move all those resources back, won't be long, I doubt hip hop has much time left on our generation's collective attention span.
>>
I know rock isn't "the" genre but there's still good bands. Tame Impala is laying it down yo.
>>
>>70616506
That sounds like bullshit to me. Hiphop heads arent usually fans of death grips. Its safe to say that most death grips fans arent typical hiphop heads either. From what i can gather most of DG's fanbase is people who like experimental/alternative rock and punk
>>
>>70617130
Battles did a lot of innovative stuff in the late 00s
>>
>>70617911
thats the thing that kind of annoys me about rap music. Illmatic was literally all samples of old jazz, rock, and avant garde music with a hip hop drum track pasted over it and people point to it as this beacon of ground breaking music. I love illmatic, but its music is made up of other peoples work so i dont see how you can give it that much credit.
>>
>>70615143
>There’s definitely a connection to be made between rock’s falling popularity and what’s been happening in America over the last decade. The ‘10s have been defined by movements like Black Lives Matter and protests over “bathroom laws,” and over the next four (or lord help us, eight) years, women, people of color, religious minorities, and members of the LGBTQ community will continue to be at the forefront of the major debates in Trump’s America

Hahahahahaha holy shit. These fucking people never quit.
>>
>>70615143
>But that’s not the only reason hip-hop outranks rock ‘n’ roll as pop’s preeminent musical form. After all, there are white male (and female) guitar slingers who sing thoughtfully about less privileged people.
So pretty much innovation in music is about whos singing the most dindu anthems?
>>
>>70621708
All you've said is "it's fine" without qualifying why. You seem like you have a lot invested in this.
>>
>>70616498
Post-punk doesn't actually exist, it's just a pretentious tag white people assign to musicians they think are cool
>>
>>70615560
ur angry
>>
>>70615810
The Prodigy has more thoughtful production in one song than The Beatles have in their entire discography
>>
>>70623307
Applying your own logic then >>70617981 only said "there's something fundamentally fucked about that." How is that "qualifying why"?
>>
>>70620232
I hope you're not implying that that's a rock album.
>>
>>70623433
Most stupid thing I've ever read.

The Beatles experimented with recording and production techniques more than anyone else in history.
>>
>>70623476
Liam made some of the most well produced electronic music on very ancient and limited hardware

Producers today have extremely advance devices but cant even compete with what the prodigy did over 20 years ago
>>
>>70621660
>Maria Sherman

big fuckin surprise there
>>
>>70623536
>Liam made some of the most well produced electronic music on very ancient and limited hardware
Cool, the Beatles invented their own hardware and understood harmony and melody on a level he can't approach
>>
File: okay.gif (3MB, 538x400px) Image search: [Google]
okay.gif
3MB, 538x400px
>>70615186
>>
>>70623619
Kraftwerk invented their own hardware and understood harmony and melody on a level that The Beatles couldnt can't approach

They paved the way to modern music and instruments that The Beatles never could
>>
>>70617870
this

hearing a well-crafted pop hit from the '80s is like a three-course meal compared to the tossed-off mcnuggets you get in today's charts
>>
it's not "rock" anymore, it's countless genres that sprouted from it and subgenres from those etc.

percieving rock as a single entity is false but I guess that means it's dead
>>
>>70620042
enjoy it while you can
>>
I came to this thread and lurked the whole thing, it was pretty good but as soon as some of the original discussions started dying out in favor of political ideologies I got depressed.
>>
An institution is only vital and strong if it rejects everything that is not itself. This guy says hip hop is better because it can sound like anything--rock music no longer exists in the Rolling Stone magazine sense that the author is railing against because it already does sound like everything. Look at the modern rock charts and you see Coldplay, 21 Pilots, Imagine Dragons, and the xx. It's a mixture of hip hop, dubstep, chillwave, arena rock, post punk, whatever. So what the fuck happened between Led Zeppelin and 21 Pilots?

Rock splintered into innumerable subgenres and scenes that mix and match incessantly. Before it meant blues-influenced guitar riff-based music with an emphasis on instrumental performance, but now it's just a term for anything three minutes long with a focus on melody. Rock as a catchall term is bullshit, and in time hip hop will dissolve too. Look at Drake and Death Grips, it's already beginning the process. This "innovation" in hip hop is its dying gasp
>>
>people who don't look past the surface level albums
https://artascatharsis.bandcamp.com/album/kurushimi
came out literally in 2015

where did the "it's not popular so it's not at all innovative" thing come from?
>>
>>70615377
I don't have anything to add but this is a good post.
>>
>>70621736
Does rock rap count as hiphop?
>>
>>70615143
>To this day there are people STILL categorizing music by genre and not bpm range

Disappointing
>>
>>70622170

Sampling is just an interpretation of another art piece. It transforms it. Not saying that all sampled work lives up to this standard but there's a lot of producers who had amazing ears to chop chords, stabs, notes and rearrange them to be unique works. Not to mention the complete transformation of mood and some of the time, sound.
>>
>>70615143

Wow, I wonder (((who))) wrote this article.
>>
>>70616606
Definatly rock operas like the Black Parade and American Idiot. Sad that those aren't very popular now, though.
>all rock isnt popular now
>>
>>70624899
It's still very much a hip hop song, even if it incorporates elements of rap rock
>>
Is Hip-Hop/Rap in its 70s phase of Generic Hard Rock with a scatter of good projects? When it hits it's "80s phase" will it be blended into the mainstream like rock was and how it's starting to with rappers in pop songs? I predict it'll be in 2020s but there might be some really good groundbreaking shit to come out, I just feel current artists stuck in the "70s phase" aren't comfortable to Branch out yet. There needs to be a David Bowie or Iggy Pop of rap or an equivalent of Punk in rap
>>
>>70625122
Im not arguing that. Its just that most people give more credit than is due for alot of that stuff. Im not saying sampling doesnt take any talent or is hacky in anyway. But its not the same as starting from scratch.
>>
>>70617759
>deerhoof has at least two fans
HI FRIEND!
>>
>>70626213
You shouldn't think of it as following the same footprints of rock.
>>
>>70616566
Fuck yeah
>>
>>70616197

There are no innovators in hip-hop.
>>
tldr

because white nu-males cucks are majority in usa
>>
File: 1427418996916.png (1MB, 1437x1414px) Image search: [Google]
1427418996916.png
1MB, 1437x1414px
>90% of music critics are white democrats or shitskins
>every hip hop album is getting +4.0 to the mark because is made by niggers

you know is true
>>
>>70615143
>On Views, Drizzy practically becomes a genre unto himself, singing and rapping, sure, but mostly just Draking out about all the duplicitous friends and lovers trying to get a piece of his lifestyle

Next level cringe.
>>
Drake is rap??
>>
Rock was already in the shitter by the time Hip-Hop appeared.
>>
Rock became uncool because it came to be mentally linked with old white guys with guitars like the Rolling Stones and Aerosmith. Old white guys are the least cool thing on the planet. Hip-hop still feels young.
>>
>>70615560
>Music is dying.

I agree with the sentiment, but like >>70616831
said, it's more like the society that produced good music is dying.

Also, screw rock and rap, when's my Romanticism revival?
>>
I'm glad /mu/ and all these other nu males think rock music is dead, more good albums for me. Also It's actually far from it, just because it's niche now people like to claim it's dead when it really isn't.
>>
>Guitar music continues to evolve, but for all its versatility, rock simply isn’t the rule-free zone that hip-hop is. The further you stray from guitar, bass, and drums—holdovers from the blues, R&B, and country that came before—the more likely you’ll do one of two things: create something that’s innovative but not really rock, like the more ambient tracks on Radiohead’s 2000 electronic about-face Kid A, or come up with some electro-rap-pop hybrid that’s arguably too concerned with being everything to really qualify as any one thing (Twenty One Atlas Dragons, or whatever).

Yeah it's fucking gay how when a rock group tries to change the rules, some wiener like Christgau who's never written a song or played an instrument writes a 500,000 word essay on how it's not real rock-and-roll and it's fake art rock.
>>
Maybe its "drug" factor if you think about.
>>
>>70616606
The last """"Rock"""" to be big was the Arctic Monkeys AM and that was pretty hip hop and pop heavy. But apart from that I can't think of a big rock album to come out since 2011 when El Camino and Angles came out.
>>
>Speaking in October 2016 at Desert Trip, where he performed alongside numerous ‘60s legends including “Black Beatles” fan and white Beatles founder Paul McCartney, Daltrey opined: "The sadness for me is that rock has reached a dead end… the only people saying things that matter are the rappers, and most pop is meaningless and forgettable."

Now the thing is, most dadrockers always had a candid respect for hip-hop--Bob Dylan became quite intrigued by the stuff when it was first happening in the late 80s-early 90s. Note by "dadrockers" I mean professional musicians, not the average casual listening baby boomer who rants about how rap is crap.
>>
Rock's definitely based more on tradition and nostalgia than rap simply because it's about playing an instrument. The 60s generation romanticized old bluesmen, and the grunge generation romanticized the stoner AOR rock of the 70s. Chuck Berry and the Beatles are seen as some of the essential foundational parts of rock that anyone needs to listen to if they play in a band.

This is not true for rap since it's based on production rather than instruments. You can have a hot rap album without ever hearing a single NWA or Tupac track. Many of the young rappers out in the 2010s have probably never seriously listened to Pac or Busta Rhymes, but any young guy in a band during the grunge era probably knew all of the Beatles, Zeppelin, Ramones, Sabbath, Floyd, etc.
>>
>>70620042
Black culture is extreme central to American culture as a whole--major genres of popular music started as black music styles. Much of American history was also centered around the argument as to whether blacks were people or not. A lot of that was the legacy of Jim Crow--blacks were limited in what jobs they could have historically, which resulted in them being heavily concentrated in the entertainment and sports fields.
>>
>>70633058
Man, that's the level of obsessive contempt that only a crippling inferiority complex can create.
>>
ITT: nobody posts any good rock albums to prove op wrong
yawn
>>
>>70634062
You do it then
>>
>>70633979
As far back as colonial times, people would be shocked at the tendency of the youth to dance and cavort to the rhythmic music played by black slaves, a piece of cultural heritage brought over from Africa.
>>
>>70634082
doesn't exist
>>
>>70633881
Hip-hop is a lot more disposable and topical than rock, partially because it's totally grounded in realism and lacks the fantasy or metaphorical lyrics of a lot of rock. As Noel Gallagher said, "The great thing about being in a rock-and-roll band is that you can be playing in front of 20,000 people and each one of them has their own interpretation of your songs."
>>
>>70617836
Popular song forms have always prioritised rhythm over melody because you have to be able to dance them. Rock music used to be dance music.
>>
the main problem with hip hop is that artists can't make any real changes to their sound without either critical or consumer backlash. the only aversion I could really think of is Kanye. Hip hop doesn't have a Radiohead, Swans or Bowie type figure that is able to change their sound up constantly and succeed.
>>
File: 1475778457985.jpg (291KB, 603x739px)
1475778457985.jpg
291KB, 603x739px
>>70635203
>Hip hop doesn't have a Radiohead, Swans or Bowie type figure that is able to change their sound up constantly and succeed.
>>
>>70615653
okay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDf-7ifjMj8
>>
Rock will come back, it's hiding around the corner. But it will eventually break through that glass ceiling, but it's certainly not gonna happen in America though.
>>
>>70635226
Dean Blunt isn't hip hop though.
>>
File: 1353218074622.png (62KB, 504x497px) Image search: [Google]
1353218074622.png
62KB, 504x497px
WHY ROCK CAN'T COMPETE WITH HIP-HOP IN 2017: MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF WHITE GUILT

/thread you fucking mouth breathing faggots
>>
>>70635324
how isn't he hip hop? his whole thing is sampling and constantly references hip hop culture.

last time I check hip hop production relies heavily on sampling.
>>
>>70635301
>1971
good job for not reading the thread. nobody is denying how good rock was back in the day and arguable its 60/70s phase is the greatest music to ever come out in history IMO. but everything after that has been meh. nobody has to post recent rock albums that match up with what hip hop or even electronic music has been making lately
>>
>>70635369
>nobody has to post recent rock albums that match up with what hip hop or even electronic music has been making lately

what timeframe we talking here?

and are we talking in terms of commercial success and popularity here?
>>
>>70635329
>>70635329
>>70635329
>>70635329

This. /mu/ is such a fucking joke.
>>
>>70635399
Bleh I honestly can't think of anything 2010+ that's been mind blowing. But here's some pretty amazing rock from 2001
https://youtu.be/Q4PbMyKdR1M
>>
>>70635342
It's influenced by hip hop no doubt but influence doesn't equal the genre. Since I Left You utilizes a lot of sampling as well but I wouldn't consider that a hip hop album.
>>
>>70635329
If that's all you got from the article, you're a fucking m o r o n
>>
>>70617832
Pretty much, I started seeing politics and race bullshit in the article and discarded it

I'll also add that the American Election is the worst thing in the story of anything recent. I can already see the next 2 years of music being polluted by political bullshit about this. Everyone on social media is talking politics and there's always vitriol. Kill me
>>
>>70635484
If we're disregarding whether the rock is 'good' or not, there have been somewhat several successful Rock albums/acts in recent times.

Strokes - Angles (2011)
The Black Keys - El Camino (2011)
Arctic Monkeys - AM (2013)
Catfish and the Bottlemen - (2014)... kind of debatable how successful this was

But apart from these ones that I can think off the top of my head there hasn't been much activity in regards of rock getting high up in the charts in the UK and USA. Also most bands do significantly better in the UK, Europe and Australia than they do in the US. Probably the biggest of these albums was AM, but it also happens to be the least rock out of the few I mentioned.

I think Rock will come back one day, never as big as it was in the 60s - 00s, but it'll be there. People can only listen to what's popular today for so long.
>>
>>70635399
no just good music in general. I listen to mostly 60/70s rock but the modern stuff I hear doesn't really grab me.
some people say tame impala but that stuff besides innerspeaker should be crediting ableton live and synthesizers.
I just have not heard a good straight up rock album in awhile.
>>70635636
> Everyone on social media is talking politics and there's always vitriol
try following diff people me https://twitter.com/fuckeveryword?lang=en
>>
File: 1333598142233.jpg (4KB, 125x126px)
1333598142233.jpg
4KB, 125x126px
>>70635646

chart success =/= good music

Do any of you even understand how the industry works?

/thread
>>
>>70635663
Tame Impala's latest album wasn't really rock, but the two before were, and both were pretty decent.
>>
peaked and died in the 90s
>>
>>70615392

agree 100%
>>
>>70635673
>If we're disregarding whether the rock is 'good' or not, there have been somewhat several successful Rock albums/acts in recent times.

Can you fucking read?, never said it was good music, I said SUCCESSFUL. This whole thread is about music trends and the decline of rock as the predominately favoured genre of music by the mainstream, listed a few albums that were somewhat popular that have been recorded and produced within the last decade.
>>
>>70615143
"and over the next four (or lord help us, eight) years,"

stopped reading.
>>
>>70625813
>rock operas
nigga they had in the 60s with Tommy
>>
>>70635725

Uh okay? My comment stands, this entire thread is lauding hip hop and essentially equating its chart success with its quality as music. Hip hop is a trend propped up by a greedy industry and white guilt.
>>
both shit desu
>>
>>70635805
>>>/pol/
>>
This article is mostly just concerned with the mainstream. Who fucking cares what plebs listen too.
>>
Literally the only way forward for music is for people to leave behind this organic instrument grudge. The moment music as a whole accepts the digital age and beyond is the moment we can move the fuck on and forget about shit like rock.

I honestly believe this and I've thought about it quite a lot. Nobody can dissuade me from this opinion.
>>
>>70636046
Wait why does the medium matter?
>>
>>70635895

hahahahahahahaahahahahaha

It's over. If you diasagree with that, you're part of the problem. None of you seem to understand that you're being manipulated.
>>
>>70636046

>don't use "organic instruments" [whatever the fuck I mean by that]
>use electronic emulations of them

lol
>>
>>70636063
only so much you can do with a guitar or a violin or clean vocals. That's the issue. Melodic and structural innovation is dying down, the way forward is innovation in the sounds and concepts themselves.
>>
>>70616606
i know this is a meme, but loveless really is the conclusion to rock music. it draws influences from, 60's pop-rock and psychedelia, metal, punk, post-punk, jangle-pop, noise-pop, drone, etc... and it's pretty much a perfect product. there's really nowhere much else to go or explore.
all rock acts now aren't really innovative at all. some are worth listening to, but the genre has stagnated since the early 90's.
it's not really a bad thing, there's only so much someone can innovate. the stokes first lp is an extremely polished record. it adds nothing new to the table it's just an ode to a certain era of rock music. that's how all good modern rock records are.

anyways hip-hop has stgnated since the late 90's and early 2000's. all it does know is to incorporate other genres to make stuff sound more exciting.
the real innovation can only be found in electonic music. the possibilities are literally endless, you can make any sound you want. rock is inherently limited due to being restricted to instruments, are there's only so much you can do with pedals.
>>
File: 1440523509334.gif (2MB, 398x338px) Image search: [Google]
1440523509334.gif
2MB, 398x338px
>The ‘10s have been defined by movements like Black Lives Matter and protests over “bathroom laws,” and over the next four (or lord help us, eight) years, women, people of color, religious minorities, and members of the LGBTQ community will continue to be at the forefront of the major debates in Trump’s America.

wew
>>
>>70636097
Have you ever actually played an instrument or know anything about production lmao
>>
>>70636082
Not an argument. Try again, I believe in you. You can debate with me!

Have you ever used a synthesizer, anon?
>>
>>70636100
you realize hip hop is electronic music right?
>>70636117
im a classically trained pianist what about you?
>>
>>70636117
Bass player of 8 years and producer/synth twiddler of 5.

It seems like everyone's responses to my posts so far have just been "haha have you ever X" or just silly greentext shit. I tricked myself into thinking I could have a discussion on 4chan and now I'm paying the price, I suppose. Have fun with your bland decades old concepts.
>>
>>70636118

99% of the sounds you can make with a synth are utter garbage. Look at the 80's.

See >>70636117
>>
>>70636137

It's not a discussion if you come in and say "no one will change my mind on this" you faggot. What kind of music do you play bass with? What kind of music do you produce?
>>
File: 1483587203332.png (227KB, 390x389px) Image search: [Google]
1483587203332.png
227KB, 390x389px
>>70633058
absolutely gross

i wouldnt even give this urchin eye contact
>>
>>70636151
>Look at the 80s
Wow, look at the decade where people were finding their sea-legs with old technology
You sure showed me with this ridiculous tangent.
>>
>>70636128
yes, but it's limited by needing certain rythmic patterns that someone can rap over.
there are no limits to electronic music.
>>
>>70636168
I played in an alternative rock group for about 5 years before I gave up and began recording random shit with it to sample in my electronic music. I ended up preferring using the sounds from it I sampled in electronic contexts and warping the textures in synthesisers was immensely fun.

Honestly the backlash from my comment that I got is just proving to me that /mu/ is backward
>>
>>70636100
>you can make any sound you want.

No you can't.
>>
>>70636278
you could record a dog farting and could distort it so much to sound like a violin.
>>
>>70615306
lupe fiasco and pusha t are garbage tho
>>
>>70636292

The big part of the equation you're missing is that no synth/computer will ever to be able to emulate the way a live instrument sounds in specific acoustic environments. It's why Tim Hecker travels to churches in Iceland to record Organs.

You're not going to "twiddle" on your laptop and get the drum sound of BC studios.
>>
>>70617373
last time i was in paris that panda song was everywhere
>>
>deeper meaning
>messages
>artistic vision

Yeah "I FUCK MAD HOES WIT MY BROS" and "I SMOKED A POUNDA WEED INNA HOUR NIGGA" or "GOT MORE MONEY THAN YA GRAMMA GOT PLATES BOI" really speak to the common experience of the 21st century.

Rap is capeshit. It's the Avengers of the music world. It's "turn your brain off and have fun, dude wtf" music.
>>
>>70636346
this

people should read How Music Works
>>
>>70635663
>try following diff people
thing is every people is talking about it. I follow Slayer on facebook and even they managed to get caught up in that political bullshit
>>
>>70636379
How much do you know about rap music?
>>
>>70619402
while i agree with what you're saying you can't ignore the guys other points. they're more hip hop or even experimental electronic music than they are rock
>>
>>70615143
because all music become the elevator one, and there is completely no point of promoting actual musicians when you can have random black guy shout random words and put it over procedurally generated beat
>>
>>70636562
Yes, you cracked the code. People are really stupid, huh? You got it, though. You see through these blackies.
>>
>>70636676
You right, a jewish-looking guy making angry facial expressions and shouting about "niggas" is a serious artist, non a product of some producer trying to cover as wide audience as possible with as little expense as possible
>>
File: image.png (479KB, 1120x727px)
image.png
479KB, 1120x727px
I just googled and he is actually jewish, what a clown
>>
>>70636439
Ay I know a lil bit, enough that you won't illegally search my shit.
>>
>>70615306
>Pretentious pseuds shove manufactured angst down people's throats (over a trap beat)
No thanks
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.