[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New Mount Eerie record: A Crow Looked at Me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

File: a0249360790_10.jpg (219KB, 1200x1200px)
a0249360790_10.jpg
219KB, 1200x1200px
https://pwelverumandsun.bandcamp.com/album/a-crow-looked-at-me

First song on the album is up boys, looks like it's gonna be heartwrenching stuff. Let's discuss
>>
I had Phil on my college radio show. The interview will air next Monday on KSSU.com 3pm Pacific Time. It's on the longer side, over 50 minutes. We talked about a lot of stuff. I'll post it somewhere after it airs. Sorry if I didn't ask the questions you want answers to.
>>
:(
>>
>>70602938
Thanks. I'll stalk you now.
>>
>>70603013
Ha
>>
this song is tough.
>>
>album was recorded in the room where his wife died

Based on that tidbit and the opening track I feel like this album is gonna make Hospice seem tame
>>
Finally, the fans can receive the catharsis they've been waiting for ever since Phil's great loss!
>>
>>70603612
Yeah. It sounds like a painfully realistic reaction to death.
>>
Daily reminder that he's exploiting his wife's death
>>
>>70603701
What's the proper way to make art about death? Or are people just not allowed?
>>
>>70603701
no no no, we're exploiting his art about his death
Phil is a legend, and people have wanted an album just so they can get off.
>>
>>70603733
He's supposed to never make music again and get a day job, duh. Hasn't your wife ever died?
>>
>>70603701
daily reminder that you have never had a truly close one to you pass away and you are scared about how you will react so you are projecting on an origami board
>>
>>70602938
Cool, hopefully i can listen
>>
Judging from the first song, he just needs to use more figurative language. He's being too direct and honest about the death and openly reciting it as an autobiographical account. To really make an emotional impact, he needs to relate that experience metaphorically and symbolically
>>
>>70604446
I'd say the opposite, the blunt language used allows to feel much more sincere then some half metaphorical ramblings about the birds and mountains and how that relates back to his wife. It just wouldn't work.
>>
>>70604446
wait until you find out about sun kil moon
>>
>>70604446
He's not writing a fucking HBO drama, mate. He wrote what he wrote.
>>
>>70604446
100% agree, although I can't speak for if he should be more figurative about it since I don't know what he feels right now
>>
>>70603612
Hospice is tame.
And shit.

Hype about this album tho
>>
>>70603612
Hospice was about a breakup and Crow is about an actual death so.. yeah
>>
>>70604637
>implying hospice isn't about death
>>
>>70604446
thats the complete opposite of what the song is trying to say
>death is real
>it's not for singing about
>it's not for making into art
>>
>>70603701
Daily reminder that anyone who falls for this obvious bait needs to get off /mu/ for the day
>>
>>70604446
You'll have a fit if you ever listened to Benji
And then you'd explode if you ever listened to Universal Themes
>>
File: foot coffee.jpg (35KB, 500x414px) Image search: [Google]
foot coffee.jpg
35KB, 500x414px
WRITTEN AND RECORDED
August 31st to Dec. 6th, 2016 in the same room where Geneviève died, using mostly her instruments, her guitar, her bass, her pick, her amp, her old family accordion, writing the words on her paper, looking out the same window.
Why share this much? Why open up like this? Why tell you, stranger, about these personal moments, the devastation and the hanging love? Our little family bubble was so sacred for so long. We carefully held it behind a curtain of privacy when we’d go out and do our art and music selves, too special to share, especially in our hyper-shared imbalanced times. Then we had a baby and this barrier felt even more important. (I still don’t want to tell you our daughter’s name.) Then in May 2015 they told us Geneviève had a surprise bad cancer, advanced pancreatic, and the ground opened up. What matters now? we thought. Then on July 9th 2016 she died at home and I belonged to nobody anymore. My internal moments felt like public property. The idea that I could have a self or personal preferences or songs eroded down into an absurd old idea leftover from a more self-indulgent time before I was a hospital-driver, a caregiver, a child-raiser, a griever. I am open now, and these songs poured out quickly in the fall, watching the days grey over and watching the neighbors across the alley tear down and rebuild their house. I make these songs and put them out into the world just to multiply my voice saying that I love her. I want it known.
"Death Is Real" could be the name of this album. These cold mechanics of sickness and loss are real and inescapable, and can bring an alienating, detached sharpness. But it is not the thing I want to remember. A crow did look at me. There is an echo of Geneviève that still rings, a reminder of the love and infinity beneath all of this obliteration. That’s why.

- Phil Elverum
Dec. 11th, 2016
Anacortes
>>
>says he's been inspired by Sun Kil Moon on this record
IM GONNA CUM
>>
>Real death
>how many of us
>how many of us
>how many jealous?
>Real death

damn phil
>>
>>70604446
The song is fucking called Real Death.

Let's have a loved one of yours die and let's see you react with metaphors and symbolism.
>>
>>70604961
i'll admit i've had this in my head all day
>>
>You were thinking ahead to a future you must have known deep down would not include you

fuck
>>
DUDE
MY WIFE DIED
SO LET ME EXPLOIT HER DEATH FOR MONEY
PLZ BUY MY RECORD
LMAO
>>
>>70606148
>tells people to not come to his show
>DUDE LE EXPLOITATION MEME
>>
>>70606148
>ywn never have the will to post bait over and over again
>>
File: Screenshot_2.png (447KB, 574x547px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2.png
447KB, 574x547px
I feel like a dick for pirating his entire discog give or take. Like seriously, even when his wife was dying of cancer I didn't donate anything.
>>
>>70606489
You shouldn't feel like a dick for not donating money to the GoFundMe, you're not required to. If you still feel bad just buy at least one CD/vinyl of his, maybe a shirt
>>
File: ultimate.png (47KB, 632x508px) Image search: [Google]
ultimate.png
47KB, 632x508px
>mfw preordering
>>
album should have been free
>>
>>70607102
scum
>>
>>70607102
hasn't phil had enough taken from him
>>
i dunno man... his work as both microphones and mount eerie has often given me feelings of melancholy and sadness, which can be a beautiful thing in itself.

this just makes me pity the poor man who lost his wife. i'm not sure if that's a nice thing to say.

>>70606489
we all pirated his music as well as pirating the music of a shitload of other artists. his wife was already in terminal stage and no amount of money can beat cancer. you can still contribute by paying for his stuff now if you feel like as a gesture towards him and his daughter instead of feeling sorry
>>
>>70603988
daily reminder that my self destructive habits are caused by the fact that I fear being left behind much more than death itself
>>
>>70603733
>>70603855
>>70603988
>>70604599
>>70604855
>>70607500
also daily reminder that all these digits make life worth living
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.