[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scaruffi: Lemonade 4/10

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 5

File: YASSSSSSSQUEEN.png (53KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
YASSSSSSSQUEEN.png
53KB, 300x300px
>Lemonade (2016), 4/10. The genre-hopping Lemonade (Parkwood Entertainment, 2016) was another attempt to promote her to auteur. An industry artifact with no personality, Beyonce swings between the playful reggae of Hold Up and the gospel hymn Freedom via the piano elegy Sandcastles. Best is probably Don't Hurt Yourself, which is quintessential Aretha Franklin. The collaboration with James Blake yields two of the most boring ballads of his career. All the media hype does little to make this album more than a marketing project. In fact, it's even less musical than Beyonce. She's a mediocre singer and an awful songwriter, and no amount of production work can fully hide that. The accompanying video includes spoken-word interludes of poetry by Somali-British poet Warsan Shire.

is he right, /mu/?
>>
>>70593952
>is he right, /mu/?

no
>>
He's literally never wrong
>>
No. He never is. The only time I ever see people talk about him is when they're bashing his shitty criticism or the beatles copypasta.

Stop trying to take him seriously.
>>
>she's a mediocre singer
no she's not
she's a mediocre artist
>>
Is that it?
>>
File: 1752110.png (21KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1752110.png
21KB, 400x400px
>tfw have to delete Giles Corey because he just gave it a 7.5
>>
>>70593970
>He's literally never wrong
>Metal Machine Music (1975), 7.5/10
>higher rating than Street Hassle (7/10)
>and everything else for that matter
>>
3 points too high
>>
>>70593952
On point rating but his review is pretty retarded, as usual
>>
File: methemusicalgenius.jpg (7KB, 209x204px) Image search: [Google]
methemusicalgenius.jpg
7KB, 209x204px
>Beyonce died early February 2017.
>>
>>70594022
this
scaruffi doesn't know what he's talking about in most of his reviews. even when he's praising an album he just starts rambling about nothing
>>
Who gives a shit
Beyonce? Really? We're better than this.
Next thread: Why did Scaruffi give Katy Perry - One Of The Guys a 5/10?
>>
>>70594068
you've been here for 45 minutes max
>>
>>70593952

When is the Beyonce is a talentless hack meme going to die? Is it because formation triggers all the insecure little witeboyz?
>>
>>70594082
Since 2010 but OK
No one on /mu/ respects this pap
Take it to KTT or Facebook
>>
File: 1485054875284.jpg (129KB, 571x836px) Image search: [Google]
1485054875284.jpg
129KB, 571x836px
>"Yeah I'm a big Beyonce fan. She's a true artist."
>>
>>70594099
well that's just demonstrably false
>>
>beyonce makes album about being "strong black womyn" and cashing in on BLM themes during election year
>all the songs are written by teams of cis white men

really
makes
u
think
>>
Scruffy has no valid opinions.

Has there ever been a music critic as good as Roger Ebert was a film critic?

Ebert was always fair with films. He based his ratings on if they were entertaining, interesting, powerful... in other words, how they were as an experience. Then he broke them down in definable terms. I disagreed with him on many films, but the vast majority of the time I generally agreed with him, and even when I disagreed with him strongly I thought he made valid points.

There isn't a single music critic I can say that about. None of them stick to valid, substantive criticisms. None of them are devoted to fairness. Lester Bangs was a good writer, but not overly insightful. The major online critics (Christgau, Fantano, etc.) get carried away with their stupid, snarky comments, and I disagree with them as often as I agree with them... often they just seem completely off base.

There is zero quality control in music "journalism."
>>
>>70593952
Until the second last sentence, yes.
>>
>>70594159
>There is zero quality control in music "journalism."

It's kinda silly, music critics seem to have the inability to objectively judge music. All of them are hacks.
>>
>>70594142
Yeah but she's FIERCE and SLAAAAAAAYS so it's ok.
>>
>>70594138
Only the teenage newfags who came here from KTT and ironic meme facebook give a fuck about beyonce.
>>
>>70594206
and there's a lot of them
you catch on fast
>>
jealous and crazy jealous and crazy XD
>>
>>70594214
You should go back.
>>
>>70594114
t. Jingoist reactionary who doesn't realize neoliberal capitalism is the enemy ideology
>>
Of course a white man doesn't get it.
>>
>there are so many symbols and political messages in this song and music video. The dancers make a x in honor of malcolm x, stop shooting us because of police brutality and shooting crimes against black people, she drowns because her hometown houston drowned after hurricane katrina, and the government doesn't do much about it. She embraces blue's afro because black women are told to straight their natural hair or to wear wigs (the reason why they are at the wig store), at the beginning the man who said that about new Orleans was a you tuber killed before years, mix that Negro with that Créole make a texas bama: negro for her father, Créole is a french word for the ethnic of someone who is french/afrikan mixed like her mother Tina, so she's the texas bama. sorry for my english, im croatian

Top comment from Formation on YT
>>
>>70594159
>>70594188
Probably in part because between the two major arts, music is still considered to be deep and intellectual. So it attracts a lot of smug pseuds whose audience are young, smug pseuds themselves that wear their music tastes as a piece of obnoxious jewelry to show off to the world.

Whereas most people just consider movies to be fun, not-so-serious things to be entertained by. The whole scene is more lighthearted and doesn't take itself so seriously.

Even a shitty "emotional" radio pop-R&B song by girl-who-sounds-like-every-other-singer-out-there-right-now will have tons of people taking it extremely seriously and acting like it's the most profound thing in the world
>>
File: 1420831798770.gif (2MB, 288x288px) Image search: [Google]
1420831798770.gif
2MB, 288x288px
>>70594276
dis deep
>>
>>70594270
Neoliberalism is a disaster and should be destroyed.

Doesn't mean I have to think Beyonce is good or her lyrics are profound in any way.
>>
guys can you just stop shitting on beyonce she is a goddess and queen of pop

why don't you like get a gf or some friends or something????
she is the best pop artist of our generation and if you cant see that yr just blinded by ignorance and probably a lil more than casual racism/sexism -_-....
>>
you can't have a serious discussion of this album on /mu/
>>
>>70594001
I know you're memeing but that's a great score from the old pedophile
>>
>>70594275
>Italians
>Whte
>>
>>70594345
>between the two major arts
Pretty sure actual art, you know paintings and sculptures and stuff, ranks above movies pal.
>>
>>70594552
yeah because it's not serious music

let's have a selena gomez general while we're at it
>>
>>70594629
not him, but this comment is totally irrelevant and unproductive. Nice job sounding pretentious, though
>>
He's exactly right. Beyonce is just another manufactured pop star, but she's rallying behind the "trendy" political message of the day so her basic bitch pop music now has some sort of activist appeal and makes her a certified SERIOUS ARTIST when it's all just marketing.
>>
>>70594709
>He's exactly right. Beyonce is just another manufactured pop star, but she's rallying behind the "trendy" political message of the day so her basic bitch pop music now has some sort of activist appeal and makes her a certified SERIOUS ARTIST when it's all just marketing.

A manufactured artist would be a Brittney Spears, or Katy Perry. Beyonce and Adele are pretty much the top tier mainstream singers at the moment.
>>
https://noisey.vice.com/it/article/scaruffi-beyonce-lemonade-wikipedia
>>
>>70594665
>it's not serious music
who are you to decide that?
>>
>>70594159
>'your intellect may be confused, but your emotions will never lie to you'

-Roger Ebert

i agree with you, most music critics are pathetic and useless.
>>
>>70594807
Destiny's Child was a manufactured girl group and is how Beyonce got her fame. Her music hasn't really changed since then.
>>
>>70594345
>young, smug pseuds themselves that wear their music tastes as a piece of obnoxious jewelry to show off to the world.

just say '/mu/' bro
>>
>>70594807
What separates Beyonce and Adele from other pop singers?
>>
>>70594898
Fat positivity
Black power
>>
>>70594807
>adele
>top mainstream singer

more like sleeping pills in musical form
>>
>>70594898
>>70594924
I think it might be simpler than that. Most pop music since the late 80s has been rooted in R&B. Around that time, when synths became big, R&B got really calculated and boring.

The one type of R&B that this didn't happen to was soul, probably out of reverence for 60s soul and R&B singers.

Adele has always been better than all of her contemporaries, and I think it's because she's always been a soul singer. Beyonce's earlier work is pretty terrible, but it seems like she became tolerable, even good, when she finally embraced soul. It's most obvious on Lemonade, much of which seems like a Motown throwback.
>>
>>70594555
>that's a great score from the old pedophile

I know. People will now think I'm a pseud drone if I listen to it so I have to stop
>>
>>70593952
no of course not it's scaruffi. he only reviews stuff to appear intelligent.
>>
>>70594871
>>70594898
>>70594930

Vocal talent, work ethic, a great production team. In the case of Beyonce, 2 decades of success.
>>
>>70595075
Yeah and Britney had 2 decades of success (90s, 00s).
>>
music's not my thing but i'd fuck her in the ass
>>
>>70594270
this desu
>>
>>70595221
maybe it has to do with the public image, Beyoncé (as far as i know) has never been the center of an escandal, while Britney, well.
>>
>>70595221

Wrong
>>
this fucking guy's critiques are paper-thin for anyone who knows any actual music theory. e.g.: he shits out the term "sonata" constantly without any understanding or appreciation of what the term actually means - "Music for Tundra (a concerto for tinkling drones and random glitches) and Arctic Lover's Rock (a sonata of crackling musique concrete)" - like just dropping occasional classical terms in there gives off the impression that the music is somehow more refined. and keep in mind the people who he's writing to accept that impression wholeheartedly

>>70594345
honestly im a music and film studies major and the film program is way more overpopulated by pseuds than the music program

i think it's more than people think they can be "into" music without knowing jack shit about it, whereas nobody has that idea about film
>>
>>70594531
I know you're trolling but beyonce fans actually believe this unironically
>>
>>70594823
who are you to decide the opposite?
>>
>>70594467
I'm saying Beyoncé is trash and a product of neoliberal capitalism, but that nationalism and racism are not the answer
>>
>>70594880
>All these people worrying about his criticism
Why would you care what thinks? He's just some old man who likes music
>>
this thread has more hits than the boc thread
>>
Disco 3000 (1978), Visions (1978), Lanquidity (1978)
>>
>>70594823
>>70595649
This exchange exemplifies how idiotic discussion on /mu/ can. No one can determine either claim. Art is subjective.
>>
>>70597007
can be*
>>
in the distant past of /mu/, we correctly lambasted beyonce for her manufactured "stardom" as well as other commercial trash of her ilk such as timberlake, nickleback, and so on

i'm not sure what this pathetic attachment to pathetic music presently signifies, but it's probably a passing phase of sheltering in security music (like a security blanket for a toddler) in unpleasant times
>>
Of course he's fucking right, just stfu about Beyonshit already ffs.
>>
>>70594206
not true btw
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.