[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

can someone honestly explain to me why this is their best? I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 5

File: homepage_large.686513d1.jpg (28KB, 319x319px) Image search: [Google]
homepage_large.686513d1.jpg
28KB, 319x319px
can someone honestly explain to me why this is their best? I mean I like it, I rank it fairly high, but I think Government Plates and maybe NLDW are better.
>>
>>70585970
Protip: If NOTM or GP are your favorite DG albums, you're not a real Death Grips fan.
>>
because its their music at it's most introverted, and most experimental form.
>>
>disregarding Bjork samples
>>
File: wow.png (14KB, 302x140px) Image search: [Google]
wow.png
14KB, 302x140px
>>70586029
>>
its free jazz but hip hop
>>
>>70586029
everything else outside NOTM is between mediocre and poor
>>
>>70586463
>dgfags actually believe this
>>
its death grips, but not only that, its the thinking man's death grips. a death grips for people like me with a wicked nihilistic sense of humor.
>>
notm > bp > exmilitary > jd > tms >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> gp
>>
File: IMG_0321.jpg (25KB, 442x333px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0321.jpg
25KB, 442x333px
The whole appeal of DG was creating catchy tunes out of experimental and abrasive sounds. Without the catchiness, what is Death Grips really? It's what all the people who hate them say it is, an angry black hobo yelling over noisey synth beats. Not even Bjork samples and math rock drumming can change the fact that Death Grips can only make good music when trying to fit their sound into a contemporary music mold.
>>
>>70586957
>It's what all the people who hate them say it is, an angry black hobo yelling over noisey synth beats.
i see nothing wrong with this
>>
>>70586957
A lot of the songs on NOTM are super catchy, and I don't even like it that much
>>
No Love Deep Web is overrated af.

NOTM > GP > ExM=EP > TMS > BP > NLDW >>>>> JD

>>70586957
Go listen to harsh noise or drone if you don't want catchy tunes you faggot.
>>
>>70586029
>>70586755
>>70586957
i don't like that R word, but these posts smell exactly like that
>>
>>70587175
forgot this >>70586463
>>
>>70587163
terrible taste, also can't read
>>
>>70587163
Exactly my point, if I wanted to listen to experimental music, I'd listen to an artist who typically does stuff in that vein as opposed to an artist that doesn't
>>
>>70586029
>gatekeeping
holy shit fuck off.
You are literally cancer.
>>
its DG at their best.

-hands down best production, shits crisp and will sound fresh even in 2130
-complex yet not tryhard, and, at the same time, catchy in its own way
-ex mil is amazing, but sounds dated already. money store is pretty good, but again. has all this 80s homage thing. NOTM references to nothing else than to itself.
-its a tight ass concept album. its focused, like a laser. songs are all interrelated, all sound the same, yet different, they all happen in the same sonic universe.
-the fact that the percussion sounds are so minimal and the voice so resonant and gritty give it a lot of "in the moment" presence. no reverb tricks for the drums, or longing synth pads. the songs arent held together by production techniques, YOU DO in your mind, filling the gaps and associating disjointed sounds as if they belonged to a compact "whole" (which is an illusion). id say this is a fine example of granular music.
>>
>>70585970
The first three tracks are the greatest trilogy of songs ever (imo), and the rest of the album is also amazing and consistent. They craft a cold, mechanical, dark sound blending glitch, industrial, bjork's voice, v-drums, and hip hop, and explored it fully in 30 minutes. The beats are extremely layered and the glitchy cut up bjork vocals played by the v-drums sound unique and haunting, not gimmicky. All this and it still manages to sound incredibly catchy. The lyrics are probably the most esoteric in their discog, fitting with how alien the album sounds.

Of course, this is just my thoughts on it, but I hope it helps you a bit.
>>
File: cover.jpg (121KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
121KB, 1280x1280px
Their best album btw. The best blend of experimentation and catchiness

Best song on the album is Spikes
>>
NOTM = GP > NLDW > TMS > BP = JD
>>
>>70587664
but that shits fucking boring and predictable. i like spikes, but BPs not a good album.
>>
>>70587718
Predictable maybe but it's not boring. It's the best of DG's combination of abrasive and catchy songwriting.
>>
>>70587664
death grips is one of my fav bands but bp is easily there worst album
>>
>>70586782
I still dont know how people can put notm that high and gp that low at the same time. I mean, yeah there's more stefan on notm, but they both still convey that sound that only death grips can.
>>
>>70587771
>abrasive
there is nothing abrasive in BP. its the lamest they have ever sounded, dude.
>>
>>70587876
>there is nothing abrasive in BP
That's objectively untrue. You might be used to their abrasiveness and it doesn't sound that abrasive to you, but you cannot deny that BP isn't abrasive.
>>
JD>EX>TMS>NLDW>BP>NOTM
>>
>>70588500
>being this plebeian
>>
>>70588500
NotM>TMS>Ex>NLDW>BP>JD>GP
>>
Niggas>Bottomless>Jenny>Govt Pl8s>ExMil>$store>the one with a penis as the cover
>>
>>70587876
nu-metal is generally abrasive though
>>
>>70586029
you probably like jenny death and bottomless pit the most and nldw is your favourite of the first 3 too you fucking pleb
>>
>>70587656
>>70587588
ty for actual answers
>>
>>70586029
i thought i was the only one who found on gp just meh
>>
The only reason ppl on this board say NOTM is their best is cuz it got the lowest p4k score
>>
ITT: people pretending the money store is not the best death grips album because they think others will judge them for it. Pathetic.
>>
>>70586452
>>70586469
>>70587175
>>70587403
>>70590366
>>70590075
Look at all of these fake Death Grips fans.

NOTM and GP have actually bad songs on it, while the majority of their discography is usually pretty consistent. NOTM reused a shitload of samples and just kind of feels like Zach Hill just fucking around with beats most of the time.

GP has the least amount of Ride in it, and any real DG fan knows how important he is to the band, making this album automatically inelegible to be one of DG's best, imo. If your reasoning for liking GP is because there's less Ride in it, you probably never really liked Death Grips in the first place.
>>
>>70591359
of course i'm not a fucking deathgripsfag
notm is their only decent work
>>
>>70591359
Also, there's a reason why NOTM is their least played album live (they only play Up My Sleeves, and that was only after BP dropped).
>>
>>70591376
this
>>
>>70585970
>why this is their best?
It's not. That's just a meme.
>>
>>70585970
OP, you're gonna have to explain how GP is their best album because that claim is a lot more perplexing.
>>
>>70588749
>GP and JD rated lowest meme
lmao @ plebo
>>
GP has one bad song, that's it. And there's just enough Ride, the fuck is that fag above talking about
>>
TMS>EXM>NLDW>TPTB>BP>GP>FW>INT
>>
>>70591425
I just really like the dark, hazy kinda atmosphere it has going on. a lot of the tracks aside from You Might Think... and Whatever I Want have this sense of energy to them but never quite going, which makes it sound really surreal and lethargic to me, especially with that weird not quite echo-y kinda sound on a lot of tracks. (Two Heavens is a great example of it). if NLDW sounds like a crazy paranoia trip then GP sounds like the comedown, is how I like to think of it. been a while since I actually listened to it in full though, so it's probably due for a reappraisal.
>>
Can somebody tell me what song this is from the Hella documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKi1q-5RKYI&feature=youtu.be&t=1280

21 minutes and 20 seconds in. Please and thank you.
>>
Doors and the windows, on. Motions, on. BEEPBEEPBEEPBEEP

SLEEVES
UP MY SLEEVES
UP MY SLEEVES
UP MY SLEEVES
UP MY SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES
UP MY SLEEVES
>>
>>70591481
Theres three
This is violence
Feels like a wheel
Whatever i want, but i agree the rest is top tier DG, especially two heavens, big house, and government plates
>>
Anon, I've never in my life heard anyone say NOTM was their best.
>>
>>70590505
notm and tms are their best ones
>>
>>70591828
this is violence now is short enough and has enough to listen for

feels like a wheel too, it has enough stuff going on

bootleg is the shit

whatever i want is great, very atmospheric
>>
>>70586957
NotM is catchy as fuck, dumbass
>>
NOTM = TMS > Ex = NLDW >> BP > JD >> GP
>>
NOTM is objectively their best
>>
>>70592613
Hope you know everytime someone says objectively, no one takes them seriously
>>
>>70591359
You sound like a teenage girl
>>
>>70591828
Whatever i want is the best death grips song wtf
>>
>>70593564

Not him but NOTM is objectively their best.
>>
ExM>NOTM>TMS>BP>JD>NLDW

I have 6500 DG scrobbles
>>
>>70586957
you're a fucking faggot
>>
>>70587588
>-its a tight ass concept album. its focused, like a laser. songs are all interrelated, all sound the same, yet different, they all happen in the same sonic universe.
>sound the same
I agree whole heartedly but I think a better wat to put this is that the songs are distinctly different but are part of a complete aesthetic and progress into each other seamlessly.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.