[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: local music scene

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: local band.jpg (38KB, 420x316px) Image search: [Google]
local band.jpg
38KB, 420x316px
do you support your local music scene, /mu/?
where is it?
what's it like?
share your good finds.

i'll start

>do you support your local music scene?
yes, when i get time off and i'm not playing video games

>where is it?
albany NY

>what's it like?
there's a free summer concert series, otherwise bands are pretty much forced into a total of 3 locations: a small bar, a shitty nightclub where all of the nobody punk and screamo bands play, and one upscale bar.

>good finds
https://stellaryoungmusic.bandcamp.com/
>>
>do you support your local music scene?
I buy physicals at shows

>where is it?
Olympia, WA

>what's it like?
pretty fucking rad. Anyone can book shows if they want to. If you're good enough you will get a nice following and good connections w/ Seattle and Portland.

>good finds
Oh, Rose
Le Grotto
Blonde Lip
Big Idiot
Scrivener
Freaky Pup
Christian Mistress
Table Sugar

they're all on bandcamp. sorry I'm too lazy to link each one. some are friends, some are just local people I admire. I didn't self promote ;)
>>
>>70559908
>>70559915
sure, you can post your own
>>
>not confident enough in my playing to reach out to other local musicians and collaborate
kill me
>>
>do you support your local music scene, /mu/?
Yes
>where is it?
Chicago, IL
>what's it like?
On the north side, everyone and their grandma is in a lo-fi band
>share your good finds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op4HT0-W428
>>
>>70560210
Do you have anything you can share? Assuming you're somewhat musically experienced, it's probably not as bad as you think.
>>
>>70560278
I don't record much and the stuff I do record I never upload
I just like playing my guitar and shit
though I would like to branch out I don't feel like I'm ready
>>
>>70559908

You're not missing out on a bunch.
Free week just happened and it was just aight.
Although it's suppose to be a great music city, all the local stuff is just sub-par it feels. I mean there's always SXSW and ACL, but it's people coming to the city rather than the local scene itself.

That being said there's some cool stuff if you go out and do the venue roulette, or check out stuff beyond just the usual affair that's playing on Red River, or "bigger" venues. But yeah, almost everyone sounds crappy mix of noise guitars, or variation of singer-song writer.

Golden Dawn Arkestra is groovy and their show are always a party so there's that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH-JoTwuQ-w
>>
I don't really get involved in any of the local stuff, I'm near Birmingham AL and from what I can tell everyone is basically doing pop rock, hip hop and metalcore. None of that really interests me so it hasn't been worth the effort. I have tried to pull together a band a few times, the two that came closest to working were a doom metal duo and a really poppy math rock band but interest waned too quickly for us to branch out and get established in whatever "scene" there is around here.

As far as finds go, this dude who worked with my girlfriend a few years ago put out this sick album of lo-fi hip-hop. Half the songs have acappella beats and I was pleasantly surprised at how experimental it was, if I can find the CD I'll rip it and share it since it is a pretty sweet album. I don't even like the genre but I was still driving around blasting his shit for like a month.
>>
>>70560778

Pretty much. Last project feel apart even before it started due to insufferable cunts. Standard for this city, and everywhere tho.

I really don't know who's blasted experimental for venues or booking anything outside of indie/singer-song writer stuff for local bands.
>>
if there was a nyc math rock scene, I'd be there
but I've never looked
>>
>>70561312
>01/23/17(Mon)19:30:12 No.70561312

Sure thing. Unmixed and unmastered fiddling.
https://soundcloud.com/drowning_anthropologist
>>
>>70560925
>>70561191

Found it.

Sam U'Elle Blackspeare - Undisputed Rawness
>hip-hop, R&B, lo-fi, experimental
https://www.mediafire.com/?o880w7plfutcfhg

The rawness of this album cannot be disputed. It definitely has a very bedroom quality to it, lots of tracks are cut short and five ends with some crazy haphazard riff that's basically acoustic noise rock out of nowhere. I absolutely love this kind of shit though so it was a real gem. Hope someone else enjoys this.

Unfortunately I don't have the tracklisting available so everything is unlabelled. I'm also not sure about that spacing in the name, it's written that way on the disc even though you'd think Samu'elle would be the more natural choice. I'm a terrible curator of local music history apparently.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.