[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advice for an artist? I am finishing an album but the problem

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: doomstarks.jpg (63KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
doomstarks.jpg
63KB, 600x600px
Advice for an artist? I am finishing an album but the problem is that one song is completely different in terms of sound and content. I am contemplating if I should remove it or not.

My question is, could you give me an example where one song has just a completely different sound from the rest of the album?
>>
release it later or earlier separately as a single or scrap it
>>
>>70541641
Bound 2 at the end of Yeezus.
>>
Sacred Reich - The American Way

Thrash album with a funk song as the last track.
>>
That very long dark ambient song from Filosofem
>>
File: dogdoormusicvideo.jpg (9KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
dogdoormusicvideo.jpg
9KB, 480x360px
most of Sparklehorse's album It's A Wonderful Life is melancholy slowcore-ish indie rock, except Dog Door, which is a raucous banger featuring Tom Waits at his most gruff and off-kilter.
>>
Shake It Off absolutely did not belong on 1989. It was completely different than anything else on the album in terms of style and lyrical content. It didn't even act like a shifting point or anything, it was just there.
Personally, I think you should remove it. That kind of thing kills the flow of the album for me usually
>>
put it near the middle. you can do shit like that if it breaks up the album. don't put it near or at the beginning. you can put it at the very end too, sometimes. if it's a good ender
>>
Add it as a bonus track

don't release it as a single

release it for a later ep/project that has the same sound
>>
post it here and let us listen
>>
>>70541641

It depends on the primary style of the album as a whole and the style of that track really, plus what you're aiming for. There's nothing wrong with varying the content, it happens all the time. You should look at writing an album as writing an album, not just a collection of similar songs. Just as you would vary the content within a song to make it actually interesting to listen to you should have variations in the flow of the album as a whole so that it feels like a complete work with twists and turns.

Dropping a cybergrind track in the middle of your bluegrass album might be a bit much but less extreme deviations are usually welcome. Some have even become expected tropes, like a post-metal jam on a mathcore album.
>>
File: 1475978079661.jpg (191KB, 960x849px) Image search: [Google]
1475978079661.jpg
191KB, 960x849px
just make the trackilist like this

bonus:
(odd track)

You might want to take this chance to add another non congruent track since you are already doing this.
>>
>>70543483
seconding
>>
>>70541641
FUCK YOU
I THOUGHT DOOMSTARKS DROPPED
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
Lovesong on Disentegration
>>
File: Avalanches - Since I Left You.jpg (181KB, 953x953px) Image search: [Google]
Avalanches - Since I Left You.jpg
181KB, 953x953px
Frontier Psychiatrist off of pic related.

Just have it be the centerpiece/closer, OP.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.