[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Opinions?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 10

File: 1484820452139.jpg (204KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1484820452139.jpg
204KB, 1000x1500px
Opinions?
>>
Dishonest filmmaking at its finest
>>
goose is an alright piano man
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (22KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
22KB, 480x360px
Try and get to it next week, also James ensor closes so maybe do both in one day? Also, I think musicals coming back would be quaint.
>>
I've seen it 3 times already. First time, I've never went from completely hating a movie to completely loving it so fast. The first two songs were fucking terrible to me.

2nd and 3rd times, I appreciate the beginning more, really great movie, I cry out of happiness every time the planetarium scene comes on
>>
Good movie.
Good soundtrack.
Very blatant Academy/critic bait though.
>>
>>70530381

did you like Whiplash?
>>
I had my first date and first kiss with my girlfriend at the Observatory. We didn't float up into the stars or anything - we kissed in the parking lot and then sat in traffic.
>>
more like la la lazy
>>
>>70530402
>Very blatant Academy/critic bait though.

what makes you say that? seemed like some honest filmmaking to me
>>
>>70530425
That's just a /tv/ meme. They say that because they're patrician and if a lot of people like a movie, you have to find pathetic reasons to hate it.

I really heard no stable argument against the film itself from the people who hate it. "It's dishonest" and "Oscarbait" etc.

Also: Soundtrack is extremely well composed
>>
>>70530591
>Soundtrack is extremely well composed
It's not <i>that</i> great

As far as dishonest filmmaking comments goes I think it's easy to imagine the film was born out of a studio's market research committee as opposed to purely a single artistic vision. Not that this should matter to how good the music or dance might be
>>
>>70530425
cause the academy sucks the dick over anything that worships the golden age of hollywood
>>
>>70530800
Not as much as movies about people dying of a terminal illness, historical epics, or race/gender conflicts.
>>
>>70530083
Worse than whiplash. Also is blatantly Hollywood sucking its own dick
>>
Are you idiots really too dumb to see that the film is a lot deeper than just people in LA?

I get that 4chan is full of either high schoolers or STEM majors (the majority kissless virgins, of course), but come on, retards. Look at little deeper.
>>
>>70530885
what am i missing
>>
>>70530885
Well I certainly think musicals now seem like having potential to pull the strands of what is happening in our world together and give them cohesion, more so since I've ever been alive.

As to whether it's something that will take hold I really don't know, it would need quite a lot of soft diplomacy to allow it to flourish.

Sadly from what I've seen of the artistic and music community they are often too selfish to have an accord which is going to make the genre have a tough time emerging even if it does kindle.
>>
Dishonest af desu
>>
Oscar bait and pretty cringe desu
>>
It's faaaantastic.
>>
>>70530885
Explain pls.
>>
Why do I like this song so much?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWnYIb2lqpo
>>
>>70530083
Beautiful movie. Don't see how you cannot be swept up in it unless you're trying really hard to be above it or whatever. And don't even get me started on how retarded the whole "racist" backlash is.
>>
>>70531012
>>70531029
not an argument.
>>
File: Fonteyn.jpg (18KB, 350x428px) Image search: [Google]
Fonteyn.jpg
18KB, 350x428px
This image feels really, as a counter to the left wing proto-anarchist cultural lynch mobs of the literal and actual yesterday
>>
As bland as it gets
>>
>>70531077
If you know what kind of films are typically considered to be oscar bait, and you're able to apply that knowledge to understand that the poster means this film shares those qualities, then it certainly is an argument, your total lack of mental effort notwithstanding
>>
>>70531178
reads Armond White once
>>
I really don't get the "Its Oscar bait cause pro hollywood" argument. At the beginning it's bashing the system of hollywood all the time (Emma Stones castinf scenes eg). It praises being extremly passionate about something, not Hollywood in general.
>>
>>70531203
not an argument
>>
>>70531236
reads Armond White once
>>
>>70531259
reads typical 4chan responses several hundred times
>>
>>70531288
not an argument
>>
>>70531259
armond white is a p.good critic desu
>>
>>70531309
reads armond white twice
>>
Damien Chazelle's La La Land is sort of like Down with Love and also sort of like The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, derivative in the way that things are derivative when they have no real knowledge of or even maybe affection for the things from which they ostensibly derive. At the least, the picture demonstrates no real knowledge of the Hollywood musical. It's homage in the same way that "Stranger Things" is homage. It's beard oil, suspenders, and craft beer: The Movie. It's homage the way that putting a tutu on a dog pays homage to ballet.
>>
>>70531203
>>70531259
>>70531319
>>70531327
>reading contrarian meme critics
lmao
>>
>>70531229
not necessarily pro-hollywood, just about hollywood. Birdman is similar. Also, playing the oscar bait game doesn't necessarily mean it's bad, and it allows movies to get studio money that wouldn't otherwise get made
>>
>>70531354
How's your first semester of film school going, faggot?
>>
>>70531229
>something, not Hollywood in general.

Did you know some renaissances are described as false dawns?
>>
>>70531378
>believing a poster on a indonesian claymation marketplace would bother typing that up
come on anon use your thinking cap
>>
>>70531354
>mfw I read that site
I thought I was the only one
>>
>>70531354
vulgar auterism is fucking cancer
>>
>>70531412
Bro, time to give the whole "lol lets call 4chan something that it totally isn't lol!" thing a rest.
>>
>>70531446
Why, because you say so? Fuck you, suck my dog's pink dick
>>
>>70531437
Sometimes, yes. But so is auteurism in general. Look at all the people calling Silence Scorcese's stunning masterpiece when it is literally based on an acclaimed novel ffs
>>
File: smooth gary g.jpg (255KB, 822x960px) Image search: [Google]
smooth gary g.jpg
255KB, 822x960px
>>70531465
Yes please...
>>
>>70530591
>tv is patrician

xddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
>>
>>70531516
>plot is literally the only thing makes up a movie

I haven't even seen that yet, but you sound ignorant as fuck
>>
>>70531077
dishonest reply
>>
>>70530425
honestly this is better than "le generic holocaust movie"
>>
>>70532738
Yet the plot of this movie is beyond "le generic"...
>>
>>70530591
/tv/ is the furthest thing from patrician.
They're all about cape shit and if you want to talk about anything approaching art cinema you get called a poser, try-hard or avant-teen. They'd be full blown Poptimists if it weren't for the little bit of contrarianism to give them some edge and make themselves feel smart.
The only positive thing I can say about them is they like Lynch, but that might just be a meme.
>t. Ass blasted film student who just wants to talk about Brunel and Fellini
>>
>>70530083
Love
>>
>>70532763

/tv/ makes fun of capeshit all the time, and they do talk about serious movies, usually throwing around the term "kino"
>>
>>70532763
who is brunel mate

did u mean buñuel? :^)
>>
I loved it. The music wasn't really anything special but was a fun watch anyway.
>>
It was alright and I understand why so many people liked it, but I had some issues with it.

I felt like they couldn't decide whether or not the main conflict of the film was Goose and Stone's relationship, or having a discussion on the validity of that idealized dream of "making it" in hollywood. And even so, the moments they did touch on the latter part didn't feel particularly nuanced, as it basically all boiled down to "lol jus folllow ur dreams." But I get it, it's a feel good musical, not everything has to be downtrodden or drenched in cynicism (though imo it's just "realism"), but the fact that they set it up to be able to have an interesting take on that, just to have both characters be successful felt like a real cop out. It also made the ending, which everyone is praising as being "daring", really not work for me. Oh boo hoo, they didn't end up together, she's literally a movie star and he has his dream job. They settled on making a slightly unconventional romance movie when they could've made an actually daring meditation on the self centered and ultimately hollow nature of those kinds of aspirations. Though I guess those honest portrayals of these situations don't win oscars (see Inside Llewyn Davis).

And I just found out about the /tv/ meme, so I don't mean to contribute to that, but in that sense I sincerely think it did feel dishonest, which is a general problem I have with Chazelle specifically. Something like Whiplash was presented really well (better than La La Land but that's just me), but his general philosophy regarding jazz and artistry was so fucking retarded and off base in that film that it soured the whole experience for me.

Goose and Stone were okay I guess though they're really just pretty mediocre singers (people give the newest Les Miserables film a lot of shit but at least everyone in that, sans Crowe, was impressive on a technical and emotional level). The songs and presentation was nice, but I didn't dig it much beyond that.
>>
>>70533137
Oh and I'll add that the opening song is catchy as fuck and I can't get it out of my head, which is both annoying and impressive.

Oh and the main piano tune theme thing for Goose and Stone was very pretty and got me emotional, I'll give it that.
>>
>>70530885
i liked the existential theme throughout; two people that ultimately value the creation of themselves more than human relations. The film itself is also very self aware.
What i loved most about Whiplash though is the editing by Tom Cross. That guy just fucking knows his shit and it's a pleasure to see how much the director can get out of him. Also (spoiler:) that sequence when they see each other again while each has fulfilled their ambitions and the film shows their whole potential lives and in the end they just smile at each other was fucking beautiful.
I didn't care much for the score though outside of the film. it works perfectly with the film to create a nostalgic feel though
>>
>>70533137
>actually daring meditation on the self centered and ultimately hollow nature of those kinds of aspirations.
Why are their aspirations self centered and hollow?
>>
/tv/ told me it's the Lou Reed of movies
>>
>>70531178
>oscar bait movies are bad because they try to be good
anyways basing your argument on your experience with other films is retarded since not even a fuckton of films could say anything about another film, by the simple fact that they are not that film. it may shape your expectations but that says nothing about the film itself, and ultimately having such strong expectations is stupid as it creates unnecessary bias based purely on the desire to feel intelligent.
>>
>>70533471
>>70531178
nevermind i just noticed i misread your post. still hold on to what i said though, it's just irrelevant to what you wrote.
>>
Great movie
>>
>>70531051
worst song in the film desu
>>
>>70533137
No, no, no, I think the main theme of the story is exactly what your concern is, namely, the elusive realization of desire. Whether that desire is love or success, the film is attempting to convey in what ways conflicts in desire (interpersonal or intrapersonal) are reconciled or repudiated. That is why for the majority of people, there is a sense of betrayal when Stone is seen with her husband and child.

The point isn't: "oh see? she was successful all along, the romance was just secondary or accessory to the true point of the movie, i.e. success". We can consider an alternative ending where Gosling and Stone's characters manage to remain together but are unsuccessful. The point is that whenever there is a conflict in desires, at the expense of one, the other desire is achieveable.

I contend that the real cop out is actually the ending dream sequence where their love is maintained and (at the very least) Stone is quite successful. This is the real "La La Land", the fantasy of the consummation of both success and love that is recognized as ultimately futile and rendered as such with Seb's and Mia's shared smile (though there's room for interpretation what the turning back of Mid to Seb signifies).

Personally, I think the movie is just Chazelle's love letter to jazz music.
>>
File: images.jpg (8KB, 297x170px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8KB, 297x170px
There's multiple imagined endings? I thought she got leukemia?
>>
Why did both Whiplash and La La Land end with the guy choosing his career over his girlfriend?
>>
>>70533847
this

i think its because he broke with his wife just before becoming a succesful director
>>
>>70531029
So it's like Whiplash?
>>
>>70533327
Maybe that was a bad way to put it, as I wasn't really referencing their situations specifically, I just think the way the film handled it certainly promotes vapid careerism in entertainment. Well moreso with Stone's plot than the Goose, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth.

It just feels so incredibly bland, and I'm seriously sorry for returning to this word but, dishonest, to make a film about someone trying to make it in hollywood and have it work out perfectly for them with the only major downside being not getting to be with your qt jazz husbando.

>>70533689
Yes, I get that's what they were going for, my point is that I don't think it was presented all that well or convincingly from a narrative standpoint. Up until the last 20 - 25 minutes or so it never felt like there was any real struggle between the two options. It felt like they wanted to make a cheesy romantic musical celebrating old hollywood, and yet throw something subversive in there to artistically justify it, without it actually being all that subversive.

Still I just don't think it's that interesting of a subject matter to begin with. Yeah no shit you have to make choices in life that often leave your desires in conflict with one another. It still feels hollow when you're contrasting this whimsical fling with being a millionaire movie star.

And as I said I honestly question understanding of Jazz due to Whiplash but whatever.
>>
>>70534110
>only major downside being not getting to be with your qt jazz husbando.
I'm fine with that, smeh
>>
>>70532799
I must have lurked at a bad time
>>70532831
Thanks for catching my typo.
>>
>>70530083
I liked it, but I thought the music was a bit sub-par. Goose's singing didn't help matters
>>
>>70530789
It actually wasn't, it was a pet project of Chazelle and Horowitz since they were in college
>>
>>70534365
dont believe that anon, tv is pure shit

wanna talk about otto e mezzo mate
>>
>>70534403
I had to google the name, I know it as 8 1/2, just watched that a few days a go. Made the mistake of smoking a bowl before hand it took me a while to realize when it switched between the director's imagination and reality.
Going to watch it again sober sometime soon.
>>
>>70535789
its my favourite movie familia, please watch it sober
>>
>>70530099
pls explain
>>
>>70530800
>>70530821
both true
>>
>>70536952
It's a /tv/ meme
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.