/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /mu/ think of REO Speedwagon?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

File: REO-Speedwagon-1979.jpg (482KB, 2048x1376px) Image search: [Google]
REO-Speedwagon-1979.jpg
482KB, 2048x1376px
What does /mu/ think of REO Speedwagon?
>>
alcoholic unclerock
>>
The McDonalds of dadrock.

>late 70s guy: Hey Susie, I got us some tickets to a rock concert.
>late 70s chick: Cool, Tim. What group is i...(sees REO Speedwagon tickets). I'm leaving you.
>>
Worse than Foreigner
Worse than Styx
Worse than Boston
On par with Journey
>>
File: oaaa_reospeedwagon.jpg (185KB, 975x1218px) Image search: [Google]
oaaa_reospeedwagon.jpg
185KB, 975x1218px
"You can Tune a Piano but You Can't Tuna Fish" is one of the dumbest album titles ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ilyWXi3yFE
>>
>>70501370
Journey was way more talented.
>>
>>70501370
Styx is still worse.
>>
I used to see these guys come on in soft rock compilation infomercials at midnight and it made me grateful that as irritating as today's pop can it is nowhere near the crushing mediocrity of 70s/80s soft rock

I can't even pretend to like this stuff ironically for a laugh
>>
>tfw you can just imagine some trashy chick and her mullet-wearing boyfriend in 1982 fucking in the backseat of a Camaro as Keep On Loving You plays on the cassette player
>>
File: christgau4.jpg (24KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
christgau4.jpg
24KB, 300x225px
Hi Infidelity [Epic, 1980]

I'm not saying they deserve the biggest selling album of their crummy era, but these boys have always known a thing or two about the hook and the readymade. Best song--"Tough Guys", which will never make the radio because it features this inspirational verse: "They think they're full of fire/She thinks they're full of shit". B-

Distinctions Not Cost Effective [1970s]

Once the banality reached a certain density, I figured that velocity no longer mattered. Then they began to score hit ballads.

Distinctions Not Cost Effective [1980s]

Let history record that they got better--pioneers of AOR schlock-rock schlock-pop, they were honoring Fleetwood Mac and the Doobie Brothers by the time of "Hi Infidelity". Let history also record that they got worse.

Everything Rocks and Nothing Ever Dies [1990s]
>>
>>70500932
best jojo companion
>>
>>70501479
Even hair metal bands at least had funny costumes/cheesy music videos/guitar solos. These bands like REO Speedwagon had no interesting features at all.
>>
>>70501615
>>70501479
It must have been depressing to be a serious music journalist like Christgau back in the day who knew hundreds of great bands, and instead empty, manufactured shit built on cliches like Foreigner is what's playing on the radio..
>>
>>70501896
No one ever went broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.
>>
Buttrock for 80s white trash chicks.
>>
>>70501896
The popularity of Billy Joel and Bruce Springsteen during that era can be explained partially by the lack of decent Top 40. There wasn't anyone else on radio that had any depth to their songs.
>>
>>70501615
>Let history also record that they got worse

At least Journey never forgot how to write rockers. Foreigner and REO totally devolved into ballad sludge during the Reagan years.
>>
>>70501765
The worst thing you can be is not only bad, but boring.
>>
>>70500932
If a band looks like a bunch of guys who work in an office writing database software, it's probably not worth listening to.
>>
>>70500932
That's KMET 94.7 in Los Angeles, a pioneering progressive radio station. They closed down in the late 80s due to the decline of prog bands. No clue what those corporate rock clowns were doing there though.
>>
File: BP140236-1[1].jpg (340KB, 1850x1227px) Image search: [Google]
BP140236-1[1].jpg
340KB, 1850x1227px
>>70500932
The best stadium rock band ever
>>
>>70503037
How cute, Kevin Cronin's nephew posts here.
>>
>>70500932
is this a jojo's reference?
>>
bad, bad, bad, bad, bad band. their album titles are like all puns. they have one song that's even scraping the edge of the concept of "memorable", and it's not even excitingly bad enough to be a flaming piece of shit, instead it's a cool, smooth turd unwound by the lazy anus of the 70's music industry.

>>70501370
journey is definitely better, you can at least turn your brain off and have fun to one or two of their songs.
>>
File: 1300044776986.jpg (17KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1300044776986.jpg
17KB, 250x250px
>>70503058
>actually knowing enough about REO Speedwagon to know the names of the band members
>>
>>70503128
At least Steve Perry's voice is distinctive (note: not intended as a compliment) and some of their hits are pretty easily recognizable. REO are so bland that if you heard their songs on the radio, you couldn't even tell what band did them.
>>
>>70500932
Such a shame considering "Speedwagon" is actually the best fucking band name of all time
>>
>>70502514
Even Foreigner had a couple of memorable hits.
>>
>>70500932
I saw them at a county fair a few years ago. It was a fun show and there were dozens of old fat mullet guys with beer guts in the audience singing along to their hits.
>>
>>70503128
Worst part: They eventually copped to making a Christmas album.
>>
>>70503271
ouch
>>
>>70500932
The Unidentified Flying Tuna Trot is a great instrumental.
Everything else is generic dadrock
>>
>>70503132
>2 seconds on wikipedia
>>
>>70503128
>they have one song that's even scraping the edge of the concept of "memorable"
Keep On Loving You?
>>
File: 1970s-jock-van.jpg (117KB, 600x518px) Image search: [Google]
1970s-jock-van.jpg
117KB, 600x518px
Great band, because of the specific purpose they served:

Getting guys fuckin' laid.

Look, in the late 70's and early 80's, all the heavy metal/punk would only creep a chick out. Remember that scene in Fast Times at Ridgemont High when Ratner plays Kashmir and the chick looks at him like he's a fuckin' loon?

Exactly. But play Reo/Foreigner/Bread/Air Supply for girl while driving her around in a van like this, and you're 100% getting laid.

All there is to it.
>>
>>70503380
i was gonna say "take it on the run"
>>
>>70503467
Van Halen...but only for picking up white trash chicks.
>>
>>70503519
Was gonna say AC/DC, but I think Brian Johnson's voice would have scared most girls off.
>>
>>70503519

Yeah. David Lee Roth got the girls wet.
>>
>>70503545
And that band didn't exactly ooze sex appeal.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.