[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Admit it. This is far better than Close to the Edge.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 15

File: Fragile.jpg (88KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Fragile.jpg
88KB, 300x300px
Admit it. This is far better than Close to the Edge.
>>
>listens to roundabout
ITS THEIR BEST ALBUMMMM.
>>
>to be continued
>>
I really wish Yes wasnt a meme thanks to jojos. And no, you are wrong op.
>>
>>70493629
More like
>listens to Close to the Edge
ITS THEIR WORST ALBUMMMM.
>>
I was honestly surprised when the op image wasn't tales from topographic oceans

you know Close To The Edge was actually so good that Bill Bruford actually left the band like "welp that'll never be topped, might as well join King Crimson"

>tfw you make an album so good that your drummer quits
>>
Best GOAT closer maybe
>>
>>70493606
>all that filler
>better than CTTE
>>
>>70493708
>2) Why did you leave Yes?

>If memory serves, several reasons.

>a) I wasn’t about to go through "Close to the Edge" again. It had taken three months of all-nighters, and if I knew one thing at the end, it was that I wouldn’t be able to improve on that effort with that group of people, so no point in hanging around.

>b) I’d only played with those four musicians for the majority of my short musical career, four and a half years at that point, and I was becoming desperate to hear myself in some other context. I never subscribed to the notion that after a few hit records rock musicians were supposed to atrophy, become a laughing stock, and then just stop.

>c) King Crimson beckoned.

>d) I couldn’t wait for Chris Squire any more. The grossest form of insult any musician can bestow upon a colleague is to keep him waiting.

Taken from his website.
Apparently, he must have really hated Chris Squire's long bath times. ("The Fish" was actually named for Chris Squire, who composed the song [notice 90% of it is just bass], since he took a long time to bathe.)
>>
File: relayer-wide.jpg (125KB, 1000x497px) Image search: [Google]
relayer-wide.jpg
125KB, 1000x497px
Fragile is good, but there is one greatest Yes album
>>
>>70493747
>make GOAT prog album
>leave band
>make the new GOAT prog album
madman
>>
>>70493724
>>filler
Name one (1) filler song.

>inb4 We Have Heaven
Literally 1 minute long, that does absolutely nothing for the album's length overall.
>inb4 Five Per Cent for Nothing
It's a prelude to Long Distance Runaround/The Fish (Schindleria Praematurus), like how Horizons in Genesis - Foxtrot is a prelude to Supper's Ready. Neither are filler.

Also, even if Fragile DOES have filler, it's way better than Close to the Edge's "dude just have 3 songs, that's totally how albums are meant to be composed lmao."
>>
>>70493864
Cans and Brahms
>>
>>70493606
Nah. All the tracks written by individual members are nowhere near as good as the the ones that all of them wrote together. Roundabout's overrated as fuck, too.
>>
>>70493629
is this a motherfucking jojo reference?
>>
>>70493864
>better than Close to the Edge's "dude just have 3 songs, that's totally how albums are meant to be composed lmao."

I mean you don't have to listen to prog
>>
>>70494013
>he thinks that all prog is like that
Even the very few prog albums that only have ~3 songs usually have satisfying conclusions. Close to the Edge is the very definition of a front-loaded album.
>>
>>70494094
>does the front loaded meme
>can't digest three long tracks back to back
>being this much of a pleb
Each track on CTTE has just as much depth as each other. Compare that to Fragile which is very inconsistent. Roundabout for example has a main riff that's very simple and kinda boring honestly.
>>
>>70494094
aw c'mon siberian khatru is great

and you can diss on close to the edge for being frontloaded

and you can diss on it for having only three songs

but like, the second criticism greatly diminishes the strength of the first
>>
File: the yes album.jpg (46KB, 500x492px) Image search: [Google]
the yes album.jpg
46KB, 500x492px
pleb: Close to the Edge
contrarian: Fragile
patrician: pic related
>>
>>70493606
I like it more because it has more tracks. The three long tracks on CTTE are really good but Fragile has way more variety
>>
>>70494155
>>does the front loaded meme
How is it a meme?
>>can't digest three long tracks back to back
My favorite album of all time, Foxtrot, is long song after long song. The closer is literally 23 minutes long.
>Each track on CTTE has just as much depth as each other.
Define depth.

>>70494164
>but like, the second criticism greatly diminishes the strength of the first
How so?
>>
>>70494246
>plays "Yours is No Disgrace:
>skips straight to "I've Seen All Good People"
>turns "I've Seen All Good People" off after 3:30
>done with album
>posts on a Filipino crocheting board that it is the best Yes album
>>
>>70493760
Gates of Delirium is astounding, their best. CTTE is close second
>>
>>70494328
>How's it a meme
People who tend to have a hard time going through the whole thing tend to feel exhausted after the monster of a first track, it doesn't help that the record's got a lot of complex shit going on in it as well.

>Define depth
Using a large variety of techniques, dynamics, and other musical qualities for the sake of artistic concept, and CTTE has that in spades perhaps more than any other prog album. Certainly more than the mess of a record that is Fragile, which even without the cohesion also just doesn't have as much usage of an interesting variety of techniques.
>>
>>70494328
>My favorite album of all time, Foxtrot
that is also my favorite album why is your opinion on CTTE so bad

>How so?
cuz the first track is literally half the album, so if it's frontloaded, then you're really saying "Side B is not as good as Side A" --and like, fair; cuz Side A is really fuggin good lol
>>
>>70494403
>People who tend to have a hard time going through the whole thing tend to feel exhausted after the monster of a first track, it doesn't help that the record's got a lot of complex shit going on in it as well.
Nah, it's got nothing to do with length. I much prefer Thick as a Brick to Close to the Edge. CTTE is just that - front-loaded.

>>70494409
>that is also my favorite album why is your opinion on CTTE so bad
Hmm. I must be listening to a shitty mix of Close to the Edge, then (for reference, I'm listening to the Spotify version).
>cuz the first track is literally half the album
I'm not following you. Yes, the first track is half the album. It's also by far the best part - Side B can't compare. That's why it's front-loaded in my opinion.
>>
>>70494561
And Thick As A Brick, nor Foxtrot, have as much going on in them as CTTE does.
>>
>>70494371
top kek

(Funnily enough, I [not the one you're replying to] have the opposite experience. I turn off Yours is No Disgrace a minute in, but I love I've Seen All Good People.)
>>
>>70494599
Still, I don't see how my calling CTTE front-loaded has anything to do with exhaustion. It just means that the first part is the best part and the quality declines after that. Boston - Boston is a pretty good example of a front-loaded album - the first three tracks are the absolute best, but you don't hear anybody talking about the other five.
>>
>>70495058
>Boston - Boston is a pretty good example of a front-loaded album - the first three tracks are the absolute best, but you don't hear anybody talking about the other five.
That's because it's easy to hear the amount of work put into the first three that the last five tracks don't have. The first three tracks on Boston are longer and have more going on in them.

CTTE would be front-loaded if they didn't put anywhere near as much work on the second and third tracks, but they, too like the title track have multiple sections that sound very different from one another yet smoothly go into each other through classical music style cinematic builds. They also have the complexity and virtuosity on display that the title track does ranging from counterpoint to polymetres. Conceptually they are still in line with the rest of the record, too. They didn't slow down with And You And I and Siberian Khatru at all. Not front loaded at all.
>>
a thread packed full of rustled jimmies
>>
File: file.png (255KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
255KB, 500x500px
What is Yes' most underrated album and why is it Big Generator?

It's not their best or most interesting album, but it's definitely not as bad as people make it out to be. It's essentially a Cinema album rather than a Yes album, but it's a solid record.
>>
>>70493606
Close to the Edge>The Yes Album>Fragile
>>
>>70493606

wrong fucko
>>
File: fuck you randy.jpg (25KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
fuck you randy.jpg
25KB, 500x350px
>>70494094
>hating on And You and I or even fucking Siberian Khatru
>>
it really must feel great to have played on the best Yes album and King Crimson album
>>
>>70495414
It's just such a dick-kick to hate on CTTE. Like, why do it? It's a great album in an oft-maligned genre. If you dig long-ass songs that take you on a neoclassical adventure, its merits are undeniable. If you don't like that kind of thing, fine, but why are you talking about prog, then?

CTTE is so pure and good. It never did anyone harm.
>>
I GET UP
>>
>>70496306
I GET DOWN
>>
>>70493662
>Song gets chosen as a ED for the new jojo season
>On one hand it will be really popular now and it makes for a awesome ED.
>On the other hand people will now know it as the "Jojo Song" and meme it to death

I like Jojo but the fans are pure cancer, it's sad to see Roundabout be known as just "the To be Continued song"
>>
YOU GODDAM RIGHT
>>
File: angry wojack.png (9KB, 205x246px) Image search: [Google]
angry wojack.png
9KB, 205x246px
>first week of class
>professor asks class what our favorite books are
>I say Siddhartha
>"Really? That's your favorite book? We've got to get you some good literature, anon!"
Yeah, fuck Close to the Edge
>>
>>70494246
this is actually their best
>>
>>70500178
this guy here
>>70494246
Coincidentally, my teacher suggested Starship Troopers to me
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (69KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
69KB, 1024x1024px
Don't mind me, just posting the greatest prog album ever made.
>>
JoJo was a mistake
>>
>>70500243
Larks' Tongues and Court were better, but that is a solid number 3
>>
>>70493606
It's my favorite too, OP.
>>
File: Folder.jpg (45KB, 301x300px) Image search: [Google]
Folder.jpg
45KB, 301x300px
>>70500243
not even the best King Crimson album
>>
File: Folder.jpg (19KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Folder.jpg
19KB, 300x300px
>>70500377
alternatively
>>
File: Foxtrot72.jpg (147KB, 300x300px)
Foxtrot72.jpg
147KB, 300x300px
>>70500243
>>70500294
>>70500377
>>70500422
Step aside.
>>
>>70500489
>not Nursery Crime
shaking my head
>>
>>70494246
normie: Fragile
pleb: Close to the Edge
contrarian: The Yes Album
patrician: pic related
>>
this is the peak of prog
>>
>>70493606
jojo and Heart of the Sunrise are the only good things there, the rest of it is garbage filler. Close to the Edge is much better.
>>
>>70502942
>forgetting Cans and Brahms
>forgetting South Side of the Sky
>forgetting Five Per Cent for Nothing/Long Distance Runaround/The Fish

Also kekked @ jojo
>>
>>70502976
I am forgetting them. That's what tends to happen with forgettable music.
>>
Heart of the Sunrise is, imo, the best composition Yes made, but the album has a bit too much filler for my liking.
>>
Turbo pleb: Fragile
Faux patrician: CTTE
demi patrician: Relayer
God tier: Big Generator
>>
>>70503034
>Listening to any Yes album after GFTO for any reason, ever
>>
>>70502976
>Cans and Brahms

This is literally, *LITERALLY* the definition of filler. They needed a track and for contractual reasons Wakeman wasn't allowed to use any of his original compositions on the album, so he literally just played some whack ass classical shit on some keyboards.
>>
>>70502985
Super hot take, bro.
>>
>>70503034
Elder God Tier: Tales from Topographic Oceans
>>
Yes stopped being good after CTTE though?
>>
>>70494655
>skipping any part of an album
absolute pleb

>>70494371
fucking epic
>>
>>70503385
No? Ritual is a great song, Gates of Delirium is great, Awaken is great, but the overall album quality fell, that's true
>>
>>70503836
Ha-ha
>>
>>70500489
>>70500533
>Not Selling England by the Pound

Listen guys: i know what i like and i like what i know
>>
>>70504814
Return of the Giant Hogweed alone makes NC better then foxtrot and sebtp
>>
>>70504838
I will say that Nursery Cryme has no bad tracks while Selling England has More Fool Me which i find generic as fuck. Maybe that's just because i hate Phil Collins but at least For Absent Friends was really quick and nothing special, More Fool Me is just bad.

But nothing can top the boners i get when The Cinema Show ends and Aisle of Plenty begins.
For those two tracks alone Selling England is the best for me.
>>
>>70504863
to be completely fair, the 4 albums(you know which ones) Genesis did before it went to shit are extremely good
>>
>>70504878
Although i heard good things about a lot of other albums by Genesis i can't listen to them knowing that He (you know who) is not there.
I really believe he was the soul of the band, without him it kind of loses a lot to me.
>>
>>70504924
who else could play flute and sing like him
no one
>>
>>70504939
And who else could have a personality and a stage presence as fun and interesting as him?

I still lose my shit when i hear about the Slippermen costume and how Phil Collins hated the shit out of it.
Eat shit Collins, that costume is the best.
>>
>>70504924
Yeah pretty much. There are some great songs on other albums but they're lack heart.
>>
>>70505063
I mean i could still deal with it with Steve Hackett still in but after he left, Genesis was fucking dead for me.
There's nothing worse than a great band, famous for his originality and weirdness becoming generic.
>>
File: 1484619870694.gif (2MB, 500x500px)
1484619870694.gif
2MB, 500x500px
>>70493606
nice jojoke
>>
File: 220px-Octopuscoveruk.jpg (15KB, 220x218px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Octopuscoveruk.jpg
15KB, 220x218px
This is the real zinger right here
>>
>>70494246
>>70500638
What about Going for the One? It's ignored in these rankings.
>>
File: ommadawn.jpg (40KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
ommadawn.jpg
40KB, 400x400px
>>70500243
>>70500489
>>70500773
>>70505714
you are like babies

watch this
>>
>>70503098
>not liking Drama
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.