[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/daily/ - 45-year-old bullying edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 72

File: daily.png (4KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
daily.png
4KB, 600x600px
It's 2017 and RYM has no shortage of middle-aged self-righteous anti-hipsters.

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

https://www.neverendingchartrendering.org/
>come here to make charts

https://plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>come here to endlessly circlejerk over meme videos and maybe sometimes hopefully music

http://dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>come here for op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff

Previously on /daily/: >>70450464
>>
File: 0045778698264.png.925x925_q90.jpg (187KB, 925x925px) Image search: [Google]
0045778698264.png.925x925_q90.jpg
187KB, 925x925px
first for the Faust of hardcore music
>>
File: 1467228273838.gif (199KB, 336x468px) Image search: [Google]
1467228273838.gif
199KB, 336x468px
reporting in
>>
>>70476011
maybe a little premature on the new thread, old one had some gas in it still
>>
File: wtf.jpg (795KB, 1776x2460px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.jpg
795KB, 1776x2460px
Can we PLEASE update this and remove irrelivent trips like Yamir, Talking Bob Cat, and Terminus?

Bless.
>>
>>70476549
everyone ignore that I mispelled irrelevant
>>
File: Nat Drone.png (1MB, 3175x1835px) Image search: [Google]
Nat Drone.png
1MB, 3175x1835px
John Fahey - The Great Santa Barbara Oil Slick
>American Primitivism, Acoustic Blues

Oh boy. Something about Fahey's guitar playing is so unique and touching, and this is no exception. There really isn't a dud on here, as he runs through a gambit of old school blues tracks/spirituals. He adds his own touches to these tracks and as usual performs a number of his own original works as well. They ramble on a bit long at times but for the most part, there's a reason they reach the 5-9 minute mark. It's also cool to hear him in the little interludes, he seems so down-to-earth. I'm usually annoyed by skits/interludes but they add to the experience here.

Not sure what else to say, this is one of the finest Fahey albums I've heard and certainly one of the most consistent live performances out there.

Jim O'Rourke - I'm Happy, and I'm Singing, And a 1, 2, 3, 4
>Glitch, Electroacoustic

I only really added this to the collage to see the other side of O'Rourke. I knew he dipped his toes in a wide variety of styles but had only checked out a few of his albums. This is a weird little mix of minimalist stuff ("I'm Happy"), more glitchy stuff ("And I'm Singing") and an ambient cut ("And a 1, 2, 3, 4"). Aside from the last one, none of these style appeal to me that much but I can say he did it in a nice way. They were enjoyable or at least kept me entertained through three tracks. A nice little taste of O'Rourke's electronic side and I nice mix of styles but I doubt I'll revisit it too often.
>>
File: Daily updated.jpg (4MB, 4440x6500px) Image search: [Google]
Daily updated.jpg
4MB, 4440x6500px
>>70476549
co updated/added a few of the newer trips but didn't cut out the old ones.

Also, not sure if it's a jab at Terminus but I'm pretty sure he was on the last thread lol
>>
>>70476647
Fahey Blows His Nose is the GOAT
>>
>>70476696
Oh cool. I just don't know what the point is of keeping people like Yamir who said they were "RUNNING AWAY AND NEVER COMING BACK >:^("

>Terminus
who?

>>70476727
stunning, captivating piece of art imo
>>
>>70476727
Lmao, right? I cracked up when I found out they made it into a separate track.
>>
File: jazz_aka_4s_thechart.jpg (3MB, 4000x2935px) Image search: [Google]
jazz_aka_4s_thechart.jpg
3MB, 4000x2935px
too tired to post reviews but jazz is still good
>>
guys help I can't stop listening to music
>>
>>70476647
woo!

>>70476727
best fahey piece without a doubt
>>
File: 1481268653626.jpg (19KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1481268653626.jpg
19KB, 500x281px
>>70476549
I keep 'em (the ghosts) in because I enjoy the variety, and the utility required to remove them from the chart, coupled with the utility of giving some memory to those good folks' existence far outweighs the marginal utility of repossessing more unneeded pixels

or something like that

I could leave it less compressed, or even size the image down before uploading each time. It's currently 4500x6500 or something, and has no business being that size

>>70476777
>who?
lmao
>>70476647
It's one of the best live albums of all time imo, it's fahey playing his greatest hits, in his prime
>>70476727
I wonder if fahey made that choice in the tracklist, or if someone at the label was taking a piss
>>70477286
rip
>>
btw check out the tv series Quarry, just finished it and it's great. Last episode prob has one of the most fucked bits I've seen on TV.

>>70476777
>>70477296
agreed, just shows that fahey should have used his voice more

>>70476805
>>70477449
there's nothing funny about it baka
>>
File: 1481332304244.png (10KB, 429x410px) Image search: [Google]
1481332304244.png
10KB, 429x410px
who's doing this >>70475428 btw?
>>
>>70477449
>I wonder if fahey made that choice in the tracklist, or if someone at the label was taking a piss
it's so in line with fahey's sense of humor, i'd be shocked if it wasn't his idea.
>>
File: a1897497926_10.jpg (436KB, 1197x1200px) Image search: [Google]
a1897497926_10.jpg
436KB, 1197x1200px
this seems pretty neat so far
https://sound23.bandcamp.com/album/drunk-on-confusion
first song was some fast paced, dnb kinda thing, with free jazz samples
on the 2nd track right now, it's some indian classical-sampling slow building kinda thing
track 3 starts with what sounds like a spongebob sample and honking

you know, it's that sort of music

>>70477521
all i can say is this meme >>70476214 is golden
>>
File: hansonrecords-250.jpg (79KB, 312x312px) Image search: [Google]
hansonrecords-250.jpg
79KB, 312x312px
Anyone familiar with pic related? I've heard it a few times and enjoyed it, but I'm listening to it again and something clicked. This is so fucking good.
>>
>>70477703
first track was aight, how did you find this?
>>
>>70477809
seems like something ricebeans would be into actually

>how did you find this?
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/martians_egg/irregularity_error_knockout_or_200_most_demented__villainly_childish__grossly_illiterate_and_erraticly_obliterate__cunningly_circus_freakish_acty_and_pathologically_herky_jerky_lpep7/1/
>>
>>70477858
Oh, it was released in '99? Weird, it looks and sounds like a band camp release.
>>
File: Backlog Chart 7.png (3MB, 2296x2413px) Image search: [Google]
Backlog Chart 7.png
3MB, 2296x2413px
Young Marble Giants - Colossal Youth (1980)
>post-punk

Really cool minimalist post-punk. Super one-note, but filled with great melodies and it has one of the best sounds I've ever heard on record. Great vocals; sparse but catchy guitar lines; heavy, driving bass; and the cutest drum machine around. The repetitive nature of the album hurts it, but it's very good.

3.0+

The Baddest Beams - Junior Beams (2013)
>indie pop, psychedelic pop

Very sweet album that's way too overambitious. There are so many ideas crammed into each two-minute pop song here that a lot of them seem muddled and confused. All of these songs would massively benefit from focusing on one particular aspect and just being more concise in general. There is a really good pop EP buried under a lot of the superfluous stuff, and it is a pretty comfy, short listen no matter what.

2.5+

Holger Czukay - Movies (1979)
>art rock, krautrock

To parrot an RYM review, it's fucking insane that Czukay went from being 1/5th of the band that made Tago Mago and one half of the band that made Canaxis 5 to making a song as schlocky and sleazy as "Cool in the Pool". This song is fucking horrendous, and the fact that it's the opener really does hurt the rest of the album. "Oh Lord Give Us More Money" and "Hollywood Symphony" are pretty alright, but they go on for far too long, unlike Can's long pieces they really have no right to be as long as they are, they repeat so many phrases and melodies and rhythms and they simply get tiring. "Persian Love" is a definite standout. It's an instrumental piece in the same poppy tropical vein as an album like Graceland, but done with a lot more restraint, and it's just a really pretty piece. Insanely spotty, and only worth a listen for diehard Can fans.

2.0+
>>
>>70476696
who's dick do i need to suck to get on this thing
>>70477286
this nerd still listens to music
>>70477709
i always forget about how good that record, it's catchy in the weirdest way
>>70478087
hope you enjoy dreams and nimb, love those records
>>
>>70477203
Do

K A R M A
A
R
M
A

>>70477286
>

>>70477449
makes sense but you should still remove terminus
>>
File: chart3.png (821KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
chart3.png
821KB, 1000x1000px
I saw some films, they were good.

I've been finding it exceedingly difficult to put my thoughts into words lately.
>>
any1 who lived more than a decade should feel just awful about themsevles
>>
>>70478579
huh
>>
File: 1480062136568.png (23KB, 160x189px) Image search: [Google]
1480062136568.png
23KB, 160x189px
>>70478579
>>
File: 1473819063136.png (49KB, 500x285px) Image search: [Google]
1473819063136.png
49KB, 500x285px
>>70478579
>>
File: tie.jpg (349KB, 1568x995px) Image search: [Google]
tie.jpg
349KB, 1568x995px
I've listened to Love's Refrain a shitload so In Summer got a 3.5

>Metronomy - The English Riviera
I already liked the singles I'd heard from Metronomy (The Bay, The Look) and it's just more of the same pretty good synthy pop. It is a bit hit and miss though. 3/5

>The Gloaming - 2
Quite nice but a few of the songs (and the album as a whole) went on a bit long, I can't really say what it was but there was just something missing even though I liked a lot of it. Maybe it was the piano, I definitely enjoyed the fiddle a lot more than it, but the piano worked really well in some tracks so fuck if i know. The guy's voice wasn't great but that doesn't matter too much to me. 3/5

Tuco and Mark and give EPs to decide I guess
>>
A while back I started going through the /mu/core chart, thinking of picking it back up again and posting my thoughts on shit.
>>
>>70478987
do it
>>
>Kazuki Tomokawa - Gleaming Crayon
Before I get into the """"review""""" full disclosure: I may have set myself up for disappointment by expecting Daikanjyo pt 2 when I put on this record.

While this album is sufficient despite my grand expectations, I did find it lacking in some areas. For the most part, it sounds good except for one major flaw that really turns me off. The vocals are too high in the mix. And while his vocal performance is for the most part varied, interesting, and great at conveying emotion, it becomes grating after awhile.

This is definitely not the case with Daikanjyo, which is why I like it much better than this. The music is given room to breathe and really express itself, and there are insane solos. That piano is sorely missed here. Because there is so much focus on the singer, the backing instrumentation is built around him and just doesn't stand out to me at all. It certainly doesn't help that I don't speak the language. Really though, this is all personal preference. Only in rare cases do I care for vocals at all.

Other than that, the horns, drums, and strings are really great and complement the emotions of the singer. While what also becomes grating is that acoustic guitar, which is strummed the same way throughout the whole album. I don't care for it much, but obviously it makes sense for it to be there aesthetically.

So yeah, it's okay, but it needs time and it may not even be my thing after all. At least I can see the appeal. Gotta give a shout-out to the last few minutes on the last track, it's explosive and is what the album needed to be doing more often -- giving the listener a break from the vocals. Seriously though, the last track's climax is absolutely spectacular.

>>70478566
yee the Holy Mountain is such a cool film
>>
File: Album Chart.png (2MB, 1186x920px) Image search: [Google]
Album Chart.png
2MB, 1186x920px
>>70479885
aaand forgot the chart
>>
ayy I now have genre vote weight on RYM
>>
>>70479234
Ye I probably will. I used Daily for a bit a while back but I ended up not following through. Hoping I can commit more this time. Want to really get through this chart.
>>
Soul finally fully clicked for me today so here's a bunch of stuff I was groovin' to.

Sly and the Family Stone - Stand!
Damn, it's like Maggot Brain but 3 years earlier and a lot more soul influence. This album was flippin' great, all the songs had great memorable hooks and the vocals really packed a punch.
The funk jams on this are ridiculous, I could groove to them all day.

Sly and the Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' On
I enjoyed this one probably just as much as Stand! This record is a little less consistent in my opinion, but the highs are even higher.
"Luv 'n' Haight", "Family Affair", and the closer are all still stuck fresh in my mind.
I think lyrically this record has a bit more going on and the production is upped slightly which sounds p good.

Baby Huey - The Baby Huey Story
This fucking album blew me right out of the water. From the opening riff I knew this would be a real stunner, but I was still woefully unprepared for when "A Change is Going to Come" came on.
The lyrics are like a heart wrenching biopic, you get the sense that this man's whole life and spirit and how it all developed is being communicated to you.
And Huey's voice definitely makes it feel like he's really lived it. He sings with such force and passion that it can get pretty intense sometimes.

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On?
Gaye's voice is gorgeous, the instrumentals are gorgeous, the production is fantastic.
It's so sleek and polished and it feels like such a meticulously crafted album.

>>
>>70480162
Shuggie Otis - Inspiration Information
"Inspiration Information" is one of my new favorite songs for sure. It's got a lush, warm sound with these delicate mellow vocals that just feel like you're being wrapped up in a blanket. But it's still got this light little groove that keeps things going.
The next 3 songs follow similar suit.
Unfortunately after that the album drops off slightly.
Even though his voice isn't the greatest, when it goes to pure instrumentals my attention begins to wane.
not to mention some strange experimental noodling that feels a bit out of place.

Al Green - Let's Stay Together
Now this is some smoooooooth soul.
Extremely mellow and relaxing. The title track and "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart" are definite stand outs and just instantly classic love songs.
the rest of the album is good but ultimately a bit forgettable.

Curtis Mayfield - Superfly
the songwriting on this album is quite exceptional, it feels like every song is one you've hear before....but in a good way if that makes sense.They're just so catchy that they feel like old favorites right from the get go.
The lyrics can be a little silly at times and makes it very obvious they are from an exploitation film.

Al Green - Call Me
This one was pretty similar to Let's Stay Together. Another collection of smooth as fuck love ballads.
Although I will say I do think the melodies on this are a bit stronger.
However the less interesting songs are even more forgettable.

>>
>>70480178
Curtis Mayfield - Curtis
The opening track fucking RIPS.
it's crazy good. It's got such a strong and aggressive groove with a fucking fantastic hook.
So I was kinda disappointed when the rest of album didn't even come close to that point.
Immediately the music loses all it's teeth and segues with these sugar kissed harp arpeggios.
And all these overbearing baroque pop elements that just sound cheesy af.
Luckily it picks back up when the album hits "We the People Who are Darker Than Blue" and we get some sweet get downs.

>>
File: collage (2).jpg (415KB, 1250x1250px) Image search: [Google]
collage (2).jpg
415KB, 1250x1250px
It's /ded/ so post these
>>
>>70480162
>>70480178
>>70480190
Yeeah soul is the shit

I rec Isaac Hayes, Otis Redding and Sam & Dave next. Also check out Curtis/Live!, it's Curtis but stripped down which is great. There's a great version of If There's a Hell Below... too.

I need to listen to more soul myself.
>>
>>70478940
Mount Eerie - 7 New Songs EP
>>
File: him hed shine.jpg (1MB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
him hed shine.jpg
1MB, 1024x1024px
Reccing to literally everyone
>>
>>70476093
Nabil signed my copy of this. I'm kind of embarrassed that this was my favorite album at one point.
>>
Not slept so here are some shit reviews.

>Nuclear Rabbit - Vicuna
I think this might have been alright if not for the absolutely terrible vocals. The mix of metal and funk is hit and miss but there is some funky shit here. A Little Squirrel and His Crack Pipe for example is pretty great without the vocals. It takes a lot for the vocals to ruin the music for me but I can't stand the little random/funny bits he does. Shame as I could kinda get into some of the funk rock here. Bit of a slog too at over an hour. Not sure if I should rate it lower but I did enjoy quite a bit of the music underneath. 2/5

>Alexander Tucker - Furrowed Brow
Pretty good overall, the guitar playing was decent, no Fahey but it combines really well with the distortion in tracks like Superherder and the end of You Are Many. The 9 minute drone ender Pannemaker Doms is the highlight though, reminded me quite a bit of Henry Flynt which is a very good thing. 3.5/5

>>70481712
thanks man.

btw you like David Foster Wallace right? Where should I start with his books, I've been listening to a few interviews and reading a couple short stories since you mentioned one of his essays in here a bit ago (think it was you anyway) and I like a lot of the ideas he talks about but I'm not sure I want to commit to Infinite Jest straight away

>>70481788
I can't believe Chef released such a good album.
>>
File: rod.jpg (352KB, 1568x995px) Image search: [Google]
rod.jpg
352KB, 1568x995px
>>70481966
dont mind me just shitting up the thread
>>
>>70481788
Seriously though, no one I know has hated this. Out of my 33 friends that have rated it, four didn't give it a 3.5 or higher, one being nat, who doesn't really count, and SellMeAGod, who REALLY doesn't count. You do have an epic opportunity though: You could be the first person to give this a low score and look super epic.

Yamir probably wouldn't like this, which is 100% proof you should hear this and it's good.

>>70481966
right?
>>
>>70481983
Seconding your endorsement btw, already recommended it to trianglecubed this thread but it's a really good album.

I'm not sure there are any albums smoother out there.
>>
>>70480190
>Triangle getting into soul

Fuck yeah

>>70481788
Yeah that shit is amazing
>>
>>70476777
>>70476549
ok ur worse than qwerty100 now

>>70478087
did u watch cowboy beep boop also listen to dreams and dub housing

>>70480190
r u trying to imply that Move On Up isn't the best thing ever
>>
Guys I'm probably just an idiot but I can't open Soulseek anymore. Installed it yesterday, made desktop shortcut then closed the window, but now nothing happens if I click the shortcut. How do I get the program to open again?
>>
>>70476266
>the song-by-song review gets kind of boring for the reader desu
Yeah, but that's what happens when I write while I listen.
>>
>>70483152
Nvm found it, I truly am a dumb
>>
>>70483227
already open in the taskbar right?
>>
File: collage.jpg (407KB, 1250x1250px) Image search: [Google]
collage.jpg
407KB, 1250x1250px
>>70480329
No one posted but fuck it, here's mine
>>
The first reply to this post that mentions an album on Spotify gets a review.
>>
>>70483309
:/

>>70483367
Daniel Norgren - Alabursy
>>
>>70483367
Sybille Baier - Colour Green
>>
>>70483391
This comment contains replies to two comments, one that is apparently in response to a commenter on the poster's own comment, and one in response to mine. The first passage is a very succinct and strong hitting ":/", immediately indicated the mind set of the artist without revealing too much. It leaves a lot of room for interpretation, which I appreciate, while also in a way demonstrating that the post which it is a response to is correct in its assumption. The comment also shows that the artist has an insight into, and acknowledges, his own faults and flaws, which I can appreciate.

The second passage contains a suggestion for an album, "Daniel Norgren - Alabursy". Unfortunately, this is where the comment loses merit, as it indicates that the artist did not understand the intent of the original post to which he replied. It seems that the artist thought that it would be the album that receives a review, rather than the comment itself. Highly paradoxical, considering the fact that had the artist not responded in this manner, the comment itself would also not have gotten a review.

Overall, this comment went from a very high note in the beginning to much less impressive near the end. I would still recommend reading it, as it retains a decent enough entertainment value throughout, especially once one takes the context in which it is presented in into consideration.
>>
>>70483436
This is one of the funniest things I've read this year, thanks.

However, your original post >>70483367 is stated in an ambiguous way. If the intent was to actually review the reply, it should've stated "The first reply to this post that mentions an album on Spotify gets reviewed" instead of "[...] gets a review". In case of ambiguous formulations of the clause itself, interpretation is done in conformity with traditions since times immemorial, in this case being the intention of reviewing the album, rather than the comment. I do recognise that this was needed to reach the comedic effect, but I am without blame.
>>
>>70483544
But isn't it
Subject: Reply
Verb: Gets
DO: Review

It seems correct to me but you also seem really sure of yourself so
>>
>>70483544
I'd argue the sentence itself is not ambiguous at all, but due to the schema we have for these kind of things we tend to interpret it in the way you did any way, and that was entirely intended on my part. You'll still get an album review also, I just wanted to maek gud joek
>>
>>70483589
This is not incorrect, however you either ignored or didn't understand my point. I didn't say the sentence was incorrect, merely that it was ambiguous and I made the most logical interpretation. The ambiguity is on the subject of the review. Two interpretations are possible:

1. Reply gets review of the album it contains
2. Reply gets review of the merits of the reply itself

Both interpretations are possible, of course, but since 2) is both very uncommon and would make more sense if it was worded in another way, it makes sense to assume the question implied 1).

>>70483606
If, as you admit, more than one interpretation is possible, isn't it ambiguous? That being said, it was a good joke and I'm looking forward to the album review.
>>
>>70483757
Not necessarily, the sentence itself is structured in an unambiguous way, and only your expectations of what the intent of the sentence got in the way.

There's a difference between syntactic ambiguity and interpretative ambiguity, I'd say. From the sentence structure itself, there is only one interpretation following traditional English grammar. That is not to say it can't be interpreted any other way, because the meaning of language is inherently just an intersubjective agreement between communicators, in this case us, which would suggest that the more likely interpretation of the sentence would be the one you made.
>>
>>70478940
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/snowing/fuck-your-emotional-bullshit/

the classic memeo EP
>>70480162
Baby Huey is intense, man
>>70480178
I agree that those are the best tracks on Let's Stay Together but the rest of the album ain't that unforgettable

I can definitely see what you mean tho
>>70481788
doing the same
>>
>>70483757
Oh hell yeah. Being correct is the most important thing anyway. Rest of your post just got DROPPED.

@Hampus Your joke was funny
>>
File: 3.jpg (538KB, 1250x1250px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
538KB, 1250x1250px
>>70480329
;)
>>
File: file.png (1MB, 1250x1250px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 1250x1250px
>>70480329
1 month
>>
>>70483897
i listened to that giacinto scelsi thing this month too, but wasn't too sure about it, thoughts?
>>
>>70483940
Which one?
>>
>>70483954
Oh didn't see the second one. The top left one I meant.
>>
>>70483970
There are four Scelsi records on the chart ;^)

I generally prefer the piano works because they have that nice "easy avant" feel, if you know what I mean. It's easy to listen to without being too abrasive, but it's still not boring because it's fresh and pretty unusual. The string quartets are fine I think, but they rely too much on long drawn dissonance for me to really, really get into them.
>>
File: collage.jpg (476KB, 1250x1250px) Image search: [Google]
collage.jpg
476KB, 1250x1250px
1 month too because I haven't been listening to much stuff outside of Spotify on my phone which I should probably get to scrobble sometime

>>70480329
JESUS MY LOOOOOOOORD
>>70483366
what's that Signor Benedick the Moor thing like
>>70483876
;)
>>70483897
what's Pig Inside the Gentleman like
>>
File: IMG_7840.jpg (365KB, 1250x1250px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7840.jpg
365KB, 1250x1250px
1 month too but not really because my account isn't a month old

>>70483989
>but they rely too much on long drawn dissonance
Yeah I think this was mostly my problem with them too, I'll check out the piano works :)
>>
File: file.png (886KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
886KB, 800x800px
Daniel Norgren’s “Alabursy” is a up to date tribute to American country and folk singers in a modern paradigm that allows for some freedom of expression through the usage of non-traditional instrumentation and techniques, but unfortunately for me fails to captivate either the charm of old time music or the impressiveness of innovative new music. It’s bookended by two tracks that differ vastly from the rest of the album; the long drawn string drone that is “The Summer Chafer” builds into a progressively gloomier atmosphere serves as an introduction, and the melancholy piano heavy “Alabursy” ends the album on a similar note. Unfortunately, what’s between these two tracks neither demands nor really deserves such a wrapping up.

The album lacks in both intra- and intersong textural development, each song being very similar to the next and really not building up any kind of momentum at all. Even the one track that packs any kind of punch, “Like There Was a Door”, falls flat due the fact that it stays more or less the same throughout. Even so, this is the one highlight track, which says more about the rest of the album that it does the track itself. It doesn’t help that the majority of songs are also fairly basic verse-chorus pieces that get predictable just around the half way point, but to its benefit they are also all fairly short as to not be grating. In the midst of all this is what I initially thought would be an interlude of sorts to break up the album, “The Light of Dawn”, which begins as a basic noise drone, but then loses that mask and also becomes another modern country interpretation.

(cont.)
>>
>>70484163
Apart from mostly being bland, there are parts that are just straight up annoying, such as the really grating production quality on most of the tracks that really does not go well with nasal, high pitch country style singing. Whistling segments recorded without a proper mic might just be some of the most upsetting sounds there is.

All in all, I don’t think there’s really anything bad about the album per se, it’s just that it is also not very good. Generally, for an album to work there needs to be a good dynamic between songs that both binds them together and distinguishes them from each other at the same time. This album lacks the latter, and the songs also don’t really stand on their own for the aforementioned reasons. It stands at little better than dull or bland, which are the adjectives that come to mind first when I try to put a label on this album. I don’t think I would recommend this album to people.

>>70484000
It's okay for a modern jazz album, but it's not as noisy as you'd expect with a band name like that.
>>
>>70476777
yamir is often in plug and that's part of the daily community i guess
agreed about removing random people who came here once and wanted to be on the chart like "becuz" or "Jangle&Bojangle" :)
>>
Post one (1) album that is on Spotify in response to this comment, and I might write a review for it. I need something to listen to while I pack my bags.
>>
>>70484466
Michael Chapman, Fully Qualified Survivor
>>
>>70484477
This better not be bland and boring.
>>
>>70481966
>DFW
I'd recommend Consider the Lobster or Brief Interviews with Hideous Men. The former has a lot of great insightful essays and the latter arrives at some similar point with a little bit of experimental short story writing. Infinite Jest is more or less just longer than these
>>
>>70484497
Not if you have an ear for nuance
>>
>>70484163
>>70484183
wtf I hate music now
>>
>>70484562
In other words "yes, ur just 2 shite 2 hear it lol xd".
>>
>>70484575
They teach you about confirmation bias at uni?
>>
>>70484666
Nice try.
>>
>>70483100
I enjoyed it, but not as much as darker than blue though.
Idk, it could be cause I was a little burnt out by the end of the day, but I just wasn't really feeling the production on much of the album.
Still really solid tho.
>>
>>70480482
Thanks mane, I'll check these out fo sho
>>
>>70483100
I've never watched it actually, but I listen to scores to things I've never watched fairly often.

>>70481788
>>70481983
and even though I gave it a 3 I still think it's fucking dope

>>70480190
sorry you didn't care for the more poppy tracks, but you're right, the opener is a monster. one of my fav songs ever.
>>
>>70478087
I thought bee williams was mingus for a moment
mabe i will try it
>>
File: IMG_1675.jpg (104KB, 376x1023px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1675.jpg
104KB, 376x1023px
Top rated albums overall -> exclude albums I've already rated

Post yours. I've heard at least some of all of these (nirvana of course), but didn't really get/didn't care enough to rate. Any really worth revisiting?
>>
>>70485997
I've heard all of these except Revolver :)
>>
File: IMG_7841.png (384KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7841.png
384KB, 750x1334px
>>70486286
>>70485997
Forgot image.........
>>
>>70486286
Out of the top what? Show the highest ranked albums you haven't rated yet.

The Queen Is Dead didn't interest me at all, by the way. This'll be the last time I second guess myself
>>
>>70486332
Yeah I forgot the image >>70486300
>>
>>70486339
Right, right. I only think WYWH out of those is truly great
>>
File: jazz and dylan.png (156KB, 498x600px) Image search: [Google]
jazz and dylan.png
156KB, 498x600px
>>70485997
oh, listen to Daydream Nation, have you heard any other SY?
>>70486300
Surprised you never heard OKC, you'll probably not like it very much tho
>>
>>70486413
I have heard it, just not rated it because it was way before my rym time, I enjoy it somewhat though, a lot more than other Radiohead albums
>>
give me some good anti-trump music
>>
>>70486413
Haven't yet, is this the best SY?

These are immaculate, but if you don't like jazz, makes sense. Same for Dylan. Blood on the Tracks is great in a quaint way (i.e., inappropriate for such a high ranking imo)
>>
>>70486480
Washing Machine is, but Daydream Nation comes close

yeah, never really got into jazz, and so far don't really have the intention to do so
And I just can't stand Dylan's voice and harmonica play, so I never bothered with a full album of his
>>
>>70486571
You know best. I'll check out washing machine instead
>>
File: LOWERCASE.jpg (2MB, 3412x3000px) Image search: [Google]
LOWERCASE.jpg
2MB, 3412x3000px
>>70486598
I recommend you listen to Daydream Nation first

Steve Roden – Crop Circles
>corn

The artist would have you believe that these are amplified recordings of corn. Fucking CORN! Who comes up with this shit? However, since I’ve never really listened to a corn before, as I imagine not many people have, I have no idea if this actually sounds like corn. What it does sound like, is the interplay of four elements: an immediately apparent crunchy, static sound (foreground); a very low drone (background); something that sounds like thumping on concrete (background); and starting from around the 10-minute mark bird’s tweets evolving into a high pitched tapping (foreground, going left to right). These sounds are combined in a sort of parabolic evolution where sounds are added gradually, then reach some sort of summit where all elements are present, then gradually building off. Not a very interesting album by any means.

Steve Roden – Light Forms (Music for Light Bulbs and Churches)
>title is self-explanatory, lowercase

Another album from lowercase pioneer Roden, this time focusing on the sound of gently colliding light bulbs. The first track (“Truth is the Bell”) is a very beautiful piece full of reverb, making the light bulbs sound a bit like a marimba. Very meditative and soothing, especially combined with crackling sounds and some sort of metallic tinkling. Sounds a bit like Fennesz’ “Caecilia” on Endless Summer. Second track uses more realistically sounding sounds of colliding light bulbs. Less dreamy but still beautiful. Good album.
>>
>>70486736
part 2

Steve Roden – Forms of Paper
>lowercase, iconic

This is probably the album I would send to someone asking what lowercase is. It’s fairly simple, a quiet atmosphere punctured with different sounds. Some sound distinctly like paper, some are very far from the sounds paper would make. Nothing spectacular at all. Listening to this I can understand that the whole genre can be seen as a meme. Not great by any means and to be honest kind of bland, but perhaps recommended as a starting point to get familiar with the genre.
>>
>>70484000
>JESUS MY LOOOOOOOORD
?
>>
Here we go, ready to forget what normal music is:

Improvised Music From Japan, Disk 1:

This anthology starts off with a short yet sweet Yoshihide piece with a nice variance of electronic sounds. Pretty basic, but it's a safe start. The various drum rolls and percussive swells are great touches. Very engaging. The three Yasunaga pieces that follow are typically ultrasonic EAI fare, but Utah Kawasaki comes in on the third to show off some fine glitch work. The next track, Italians and JC and R, starts off with static and scratching before shifting into a pretty beautiful section of tape experimentation and jazz interpolation. Entrancing and ethereal. Definitely a highlight, so far. TT is a mammoth of a standard EAI track, and it's really causes it to fall into the background. Sounds of paper shuffling, TV buzz, and running water share the auditory space with electric improv. A bit long, but it's a nice break from the louder stuff. The final piece of the disk, Music for 50 iMacs is fantastic. I'm not if 50 iMacs were actually used here, but it definitely sounds like it. The supposed 50 computers combine to create sounds akin to power tools and synthesizers, and take on a huge amount of sonic forms before the end of the track. The loudest and most dynamic track of the disc, and the best so far.

10% done, let's keep rolling.
>>
>>70484000
It's got an abstract hip-hop feel for sure, kinda like Danny Brown. A bit pretentious and weird for me but it's still entertaining
>>
File: 1477942024923.png (3MB, 1136x1125px) Image search: [Google]
1477942024923.png
3MB, 1136x1125px
Hi /daily/! What albums are you looking forward to in 2017?
There's a new Jens Lekman record coming in a few weeks that I am very excited about, and a new Sondre Lerche record further down the road. I have a feeling it's gonna be a good year!

>>70484000
>JESUS MY LOOOOOOOORD
IF ONLY THE WAAAAAIIIIIT
WASN'T SO LOOOOOOONG
>>
File: albums.png (429KB, 1080x1685px) Image search: [Google]
albums.png
429KB, 1080x1685px
>>70485997
Basically just missed out on metal albums in the top 100-200

Imo, all of those except Nevermind and maybe The Smiths are worth revisiting
>>
the fat man is gettin inaugurated who #drinkingalcoholtocopewithfascism

>>70485339
watch it thooo
>>
File: tfw only worth 39 episodes.png (160KB, 486x84px) Image search: [Google]
tfw only worth 39 episodes.png
160KB, 486x84px
>>70487356
I'm #drinkingteatocopewithmemes
Like this one, having a really hard time coping with this one.
>>
>>70487089
Best song
>>
>>70484000
>Oppenheimer Analysis
>John Fahey
>rev Gary Davis
>Blind Blake
>John Hurt

Very nice
>>
>>70487089
Hyped for new Kairon; IRSE and The Necks.
>>
File: ratings.png (181KB, 708x445px) Image search: [Google]
ratings.png
181KB, 708x445px
>>70485997
I've listened to 36 chambers and IV, but I haven't rated them yet because it's been years and I barley remember them
>>
>>70487425
That would be My, My, My

>>70487538
What sort of music are they?
>>
>>70487886
*barely fuck
>>
>>70487971
I barely fuck too
>>
>>70487939
Kairon; IRSE is a Finnish post-rock/shoegaze band, very long and sprawling jams.

The Necks are a minimalist jazz group that heavily rely on repetition with subtle changes and slow build up. I think most of it is improv.

I highly recommend both and if you want to start somewhere with The Necks, I'd recommend Hanging Gardens.
>>
File: lmao.png (308KB, 684x808px) Image search: [Google]
lmao.png
308KB, 684x808px
just had diarrhea eating a muffin now

>>70485997
have no intention to listen to any except the top two to be h

>>70486465
Magenta Circuit

>>70487089
>new Jens Lekman
I wasn't huge on the single, but looking forward to the album regardless

>>70487538
>new Kairon; IRSE
hecc yeh
>>
File: what.png (118KB, 1828x469px) Image search: [Google]
what.png
118KB, 1828x469px
this is cyber-bullying at this point
>>
>>70488691
just realized I liked my own list. I'm epic.
>>
>>70487939
Oh wait you're right
For a minute I thought Jesus my lord was from my, my, my for some reason

>many, more years to spend with you...
:"^(
That part always gets me
>>
>>70488691
flag that nigga and get him banned for the good of the site
>>
>>70488691
lol and this is all because of that one comment you made?
>>
>>70488864
I also commented "why are all mike patton fans like this I swear to god" on his profile, but basically yeah.

Dude's got a lot to prove I guess.
>>
File: collage.jpg (562KB, 1250x1250px) Image search: [Google]
collage.jpg
562KB, 1250x1250px
>>70480329
im gonna give Black Saint another listen now so i can assuredly say FGWSSS is the best thing on this

>>70483366
21 Pilots > Twenty One Savage
that's bottom 50 releases of all time material right there
2deep1me?

im having high hopes for the Dreaming though

>>70481811
normally id say something that amounts to "hey but thats silly you shoulnt be" but if you dont like it anymore ill gladly take it =)
>>
>>70489221
Yeah, 21 Savage is a pretty garbage rapper so I can see why a lot of people don't like that tape. I can't stop listening to it though, I think it's really the production that keeps pulling me in. Idk.

But yeah, get hyped for The Dreaming, it's dope
>>
File: Album Chart.png (2MB, 1186x920px) Image search: [Google]
Album Chart.png
2MB, 1186x920px
>Bowery Electric - Bowery Electric
Yeah, this is nowhere near the hypnotic brilliance of Beat. As a whole, it sounds really pleasant as background music, but the songwriting just isn't there. The lack of catchy trip-hop elements is the final nail in the coffin, as it ends up being another run-of-the-mill wall of noise shoegaze album.
Still, there's nothing wrong with the album, and perhaps I'll warm up to it and pick up on things I didn't hear before.

>Basic Channel - BCD
I was worried that they wouldn't be able to hold my interest with this compilation that lasts just over an hour, and for the most part, I was right.
This group functions much better with quick, sub-30 minute bombastic releases such as Phylyps Trak which may well be the greatest dub/minimal techno EP (or single?) of all time.

However, I can tell there is a lot of subtlety and craft put into this album, so I'm willing it to give it more chances in the future. Also, much like the Bowery Electric, there's really nothing wrong with it, just that nothing about it enthralls me as much as their other releases did.

I'm just going to go listen to Phylyps Trak on repeat again.
>>
>>70489423
Whoops, forgot my trip when I posted that
>>
File: dZDTe4V.png (287KB, 620x423px) Image search: [Google]
dZDTe4V.png
287KB, 620x423px
Just finished Well-Tuned Piano over the course of a couple days and I'm exhausted. Review today sometime.
>>
>>70490321
Nice, do Einstein on the Beach now
>>
>>70490500
even though you got dubs I'm hesitant...
>>
Haino was a mistake
>>
>>70490956
tru
>>
>>70490956
Explain
>>
Listening to Cap n' Jazz and working on remaking my old /mu/core chart listening along guide.
>>
>>70491812
Listening to Andy Stott and procrastinating.
>>
>>70491917
Same in all honesty. Should be getting college work done right now, but that's lame as hell. Let's hope the midnight deadline doesn't bite me in the ass tonight!
>>
>>70491939
FU C C school
>>
File: crazy motherfucker.jpg (88KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
crazy motherfucker.jpg
88KB, 375x375px
>mfw school
>>
>>70492019
School is for nerds anyway so don't worry, yr cool
>>
>>70492019
is this really what you look like?
>>
>>70491812
Cap'n Jazz is seriously so good. Even their shitty songs and covers are just so fun to listen to.
>>
File: Cap N' Jazz.png (93KB, 1026x422px) Image search: [Google]
Cap N' Jazz.png
93KB, 1026x422px
Track ratings so far.

>>70492019
That's me.

>>70492225
Yeah I'm enjoying it so far.
>>
File: ts.jpg (38KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ts.jpg
38KB, 640x480px
>>70492186
no, but it's the face i make when school
>>
>>70492019
Listened to room(s) btw but while it had a lot of the cool elements Jlin added I missed the hardness of usual footwork. The mix of those two is what makes Jlin great.
>>
>>70492366
Is this from hail satan robot 3?
>>
>>70492370
yea it is lush

>>70492403
indeed
it's coming soon!
>>
>>70491917
ya gotta listen to We Stay Together my dude
>>
>>70492441
i did
it ok, bit too dubbed out or bleak for me
>>
>>70492500
i find Passed Me By the better one
>>
*saves thread*

John Coltrane - Giant Steps (1960)
>Hard Bop
I'm tired and don't feel like reviewing right now. Slight improvement over Blue Train imo.

>>
File: Daily 2.jpg (553KB, 1800x1122px) Image search: [Google]
Daily 2.jpg
553KB, 1800x1122px
>>70493979
forgot chart
i really am tired
>>
Page 10 wtf guys

>>70492436
Yep that's the good stuff but it misses on a lot of the qualities of footwork imo
>>
>>70494011
Do m3ll155x it's my fav album oat and I have sick taste
>>
File: mucorechartprogress.jpg (3MB, 1781x4325px) Image search: [Google]
mucorechartprogress.jpg
3MB, 1781x4325px
Okay, finally done making this thing. Took fucking ages.

Gave the Cap n' Jazz album a 5/10. The band and songs themselves were good, but it was way too overwhelming to have to listen to them for 1h40m. Highlights would have to include Rocky Rocco, Winter Wonderland and the Take On Me cover.

Track ratings: https://rateyourmusic.com/collection/CtrlMaster/rating84247531
>>
>>70494301
So as an update on how I'm doing this. I'm going top to bottom, plus skipping stuff I already heard for sub /mu/core.

Once I get to classics, I'm going to alternate between them, Hip-Hop, Electronic, Jazz and Metal. I'm thinking: Classic - Hip Hop - Electronic - Classic - Jazz - Metal
>>
What is it you guys exactly do here
>>
Listen to an album a day, report on thoughts. Have discussion about the music in which we are listening to. Sometimes collaborative charts of sorts.
>>
>>70494404
probably Tylo Be Chillin
>>
>anarchist-communist
Music for this?
>>
>>70494404
Circlejerk and abuse me
>>
File: R-5143200-1385665467-4551.jpeg.jpg (96KB, 600x598px) Image search: [Google]
R-5143200-1385665467-4551.jpeg.jpg
96KB, 600x598px
>>70494468
>>
>>70494301
Huh, I like this idea. I've listened to most of the chart already but maybe it'd be cool to track the rest of my progress
>>
>>70494478
>>70494437
But srsly
>>
>>70494559
listen to music a lot, write about music a little, shitpost a lot
>>
>>70494559
penis and also dicke and balles
>>
>>70494575
So its the music review general
>>
>>70494559
yr missing the point if yr tryna b srs
>>
>>70494559
Talk about music. Most of us make charts and review albums as we progress through them. There's also tourneys and stuff too.
>>
>>70494608
But srsly
>>
>>70494559
>>70494434
>>
>>70494608
>>70494623
>>
>>70494301
Lonesome Crowded West, Pinkerton, I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One
>4
This makes me sad
>>
File: me on the left.png (91KB, 153x151px) Image search: [Google]
me on the left.png
91KB, 153x151px
>>70494404
pic related
>>
hey can someone inform me of any mediocre albums on this chart because I'm in dire need of some jazz which is not amazing
>>
File: jazz_aka_4s_thechart.jpg (3MB, 4000x2935px) Image search: [Google]
jazz_aka_4s_thechart.jpg
3MB, 4000x2935px
of course i FORGOT THE CHART!!!
>>
>>70494813
>>70494828
I'm a fan of Paavo, but most people are not. Also Cecil Taylor is pretty abrasive, so not everyone's a fan.

I wasn't a fan of European Echoes, but most people are

The problem is that so much of that is like, the best of jazz
>>
>>70494759
Sorry man, just wasn't a fan is all.

Beck - Sea of Change is up next. Hoping for the best. Really looking forward to that Jim O'Rourke album though.
>>
>>70494813
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cB-IKnEDWw
?
>>
>>70494940
yeah i didn't even put that one on there
>>70494895
ill check out paavo, but i will be frustrated if i enjoy it
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (28KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
28KB, 480x360px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uS2kQiyu-M
Serbian avant rock/krautrock/experimental/Residentsesque rock
>>
>>70494906
I wasn't too hot on LCW either, but when I listened to it while pushing carts (while depressed out of my mind) it sort of clicked.
>>
>>70494301
>future days: 6
>built to spill: 5
>lcw: 4
>yo la tengo: 4
>daft punk: 10

These some fuckin atrocious scores
>>
>>70494828
King Oliver might be your best bet, not many people on /mu/ that into early jazz
>>
>>70495384
Sorry we don't agree!

>>70495222
I may have to relisten to it under a different light, I've definitely had albums that clicked under certain scenarios.
>>
>>70494301
>leaves 5
>spiderland 5
>stratosphere 7
>loveless 7
>unknown pleasures 3
>age of adz 3
>smile 6
>OTC 6
>lrd 3
>soft bulletin 5
dude..........................
>>
>>70495457
Oh boy, wondering how many of these I'm about to get. Didn't realize I'd get so many reactions out of this.

Hope we can all move past this into the future!

Feel free to shit away on my taste though lel.
>>
>>70495549
just one

>>70494301
>it was way too overwhelming to have to listen to them for 1h40m
thats not the point of these comprehensive comps u knob

same goes out @ that other guy who p& MSI even tho that was just a long album
fuggin rockists i swear

jk do you but you're doing it suboptimally
>>
>>70495770
I mean I got a few others, I was mostly joking though.

As far as it being a comp, I realize that they aren't always meant to be listened to in one go, but I rated the tracks and album separately which I think is enough. I'm not gonna bust out a new rating style just for the small hand full of comps on the album desu.
>>
>>70494301
a bunch of stuff here triggers me, but the only inexcusable rating is Spiderland's

relisten to that shit you utter dingus
>>
>>70495969
You know, I actually was really looking forward to Spiderland before I heard it. I did not expect to give it a 5/10.

I may revisit it later on.
>>
>>70494301
I am angry about your opinions I would give some of those albums a different number your numbers are all incorrect completely the wrong numbers
>>
File: 1469715993807.jpg (423KB, 853x927px) Image search: [Google]
1469715993807.jpg
423KB, 853x927px
>>70495549
>>70496149
Man, you people should have seen Fish review the daily favorites chart

fuckin Dandi Satyagraha up in here
>>
Damn, I may not even post about these highsted-ranked-on-RYM-but-haven't-rated-yet albums that all kind of sucked after this fiasco
>>
>>70496286
no do it, a little salt never hurt anyone

look how much we love Fish
>>
>>70496286
having non-controversial opinions is the worst, just share them

trust me i have very few controversial music opinions
>>
File: Freeform Chart 5.png (1001KB, 1560x720px) Image search: [Google]
Freeform Chart 5.png
1001KB, 1560x720px
it's really neat seeing a bunch of recent stuff getting bolded on RYM, i've always hated how new releases always get a shitton of downrating.

twin fantasy is bolded! mbdtf, good kid maad city, tpab, and the smile sessions are in the top 100! the smile sessions is in the top 100! replica is bolded! yeezus is bolded?

now i have to update my canon list because the entire fucking list changed

anyway

The Undertones - The Undertones (1979)
>pop punk, punk rock

Fun poppy punk album. Like the British Ramones (or a less memorable Buzzcocks) in a lot of ways, they're less punk and more bubblegum, but their melodies don't stick out as much as their American counterparts, and their songs aren't as energetic. Some of the catchiest riffs ever written are on this thing, though, and "Here Comes the Summer" is perhaps the most infectious song ever written, and I'm not even trying to exaggerate, I've been humming it all day. Not a remarkable listen, and it definitely suffers from the lack of "Teenage Kicks" (it's just like how Germfree Adolescents leaves out "Oh Bondage Up Yours!", it's so silly), but pretty damn fun.

>>
>>70496477
TMR got bolded?
>>
>>70496525
tmr?
>>
>>70496321
Only listened to Queen Is Dead and Daydream Nation today to be fair. I remember finding Marquee Moon at least decent.

Queen Is Dead was totally uninteresting/unadventurous, mostly not even catchy in my opinion, and is probably a sub-5/10 rating for me.

Daydream Nation I've heard bits and pieces of before. This was on the decent but way overhyped side. From a songwriting perspective, only few of the songs were a little interesting to me. Kind of reminds me of the dilemma people were bringing up about Loveless this past week--that it's legendary status owes just about everything to its sonic effects. Daydream Nation had gorgeous textures, but pretty boring structures and rhythms otherwise. Maybe hit-or-miss is a better judgment of this album because the ending trilogy was indeed pretty memorable.
>>
>>70496477
Mbdtf and both Kendrick albums are amazing albums imo
>>
>>70496525
opn replica im guessing
>>70496544
trout mask
>>
>>70496477
also long season is above 4.0, as is in rainbows
>>70496545
queen is dead has like 1 good song
but as far as daydream nation goes, the songwriting on that record is kind of undeniable
>>
>>70496477
>mbdtf, good kid maad city, tpab, and the smile sessions are in the top 100!

Sweet, all deserving.

>yeezus is bolded?

Oh
>>
>>70496658
Yeah yeezus is so bad and it hurts that people can't see that :(((
>>
Hey Guys, My Name Is Ron And I Get Unnecessarily Pissed At Shitty Music Reviews On Rateyourmusic.com

a biography
>>
Backlog Chart 7.png
3MB, 2296x2413px
Eno - Another Green World (1975)
>art rock

I'm going back and forth in my mind over whether this is better than Here Come the Warm Jets, mainly because this album lacks the standouts its predecessor has in "Needle in the Camel's Eye" and "Here Come the Warm Jets", but this is undoubtedly the more focused and more impressively produced album. My least favorite tracks on Warm Jets are the goofier ones that focus more on Eno's admittedly bland vocals, and these kinds of tracks are still present here, but they're given a much more supporting role, and they're done a bit better. It starts off really weirdly, "Sky Saw" and "Over Fire Island" are uncharacteristically funky and by far my least favorite tracks on the album. They're still produced really uniquely and they have some great drumming from Phil Collins, but they made me pretty pessimistic for the rest of the album. Luckily, the rest of the album is awesome. There are some throwaway ambient pieces here and there, but the rock pieces are incredibly cerebral with the best guitar tones on the planet, and the more fleshed-out ambient pieces are absolutely beautiful. Eno is amazing.

3.0+

>>70496572
i'm pretty lukewarm on GKMC (i haven't heard it in forever though), but i do really love MBDTF and TPAB, I'm glad they're in the top 100.

>>70496525
>>70496590
yeah i thought co was talking about trout mask but it's been bolded for years lol

opn's replica is the one that's bolded for the record
>>
>>70496658
>>70496705
with a 3.42 average for chrissake
>>
>>70496658
>>70496705
but
gkmc > yeezus > mbdtf > tpab
>>
>>70496619
In all fairness, I only heard it through once. It may be a useless point to make since they were made almost a decade apart, but this and Built to Spill's Perfect From Now On seem to aim at some similar point, but the latter just does it way better for me--looser, more experimental. I did like the jamming aspect DN had at times though. Apparently Lee Ranaldo is a big Deadhead
>>
>>70496619
you mixed up daydream nation and queen is dead
>>
>>70496705
I'm not a fan, not my style at all.

>>70496812
GKMC > MBDTF > TPAB >>>> Yeezus
>>
>>70496879
there is a light that never goes out is a fantastic song but that's about it
>>
>>70496977
This was my exact thought
>>
>>70496977
thats not the title track
The Light is kinda them ripping off themselves, mostly This Charming Man
>>
>>70496738
Agree with everything you said, that's definitely one of the best Eno projects.

Thanks for reminding me that Gang Starr exists by the way, I've been binging their stuff today lol.
>>
File: sss.jpg (1MB, 3328x1988px) Image search: [Google]
sss.jpg
1MB, 3328x1988px
>Seam - Are You Driving Me Crazy?
The first time i listened to this i was completely unimpressed with the whole thing. I listened to it more closely the second time and was able to pick up on some of the more interesting instrumental ideas and the use of loud and soft dynamics. While a lot of it is a bit uninspired, there were still plenty of stuff that was enjoyable to listen to. The lyrical aspect of this album fell almost completely flat to me and i started to tune them out after a while on most of the songs. The song Sometimes I forget was the exception to this because i really enjoyed all aspects of it. Overall it's a nice listen, just a bit too samey and forgettable.
6/10

>>70494906
Hey, at least you know what you like. Good luck with the rest of the chart. There's no way i would have the patience to listen to all of those albums in order.

>>70496477
>Replica is bolded
Nice! That album is so good, i was listening to it the other day
>>
>>70496477
and they made How to Leave Town an EP for some reason even though it's over an hour long?
>>
>>70496897
>>70496812
>>70496764
It's what woolite said clearly
>>
>>70497248
bud you reminded yourself lmao

i wanna get into them, what's your favorite by them?
>>
>>70497345
i think on the bandcamp page it's called an ep

its most certainly not an ep but will called it an ep so i guess that counts

i should probably listen to it
>>
>>70497450
as a will toledo stan i can say that it is the second best thing he's done
>>
>>70497450
>>70497491
drop the word 'second' and that statement would be correct
>>
>>70497407
Nice

>>70497423
Yeah I guess that's kinda true lol. Moment of Truth is definitely their best album, it's a bit lengthy but the first half is a fucking 10/10 in my book.

I like everything but their debut desu. But DJ Premier really hits his stride on Daily Operation so I'd recommend anything from that point on. Though, Step in The Arena is still worth a shot if you want to hear how much better the production gets over time.
>>
>>70497491
>>70497573
well it seems i should really give it a listen!

>>70497655
i'll probably check out Moment of Truth soon, thanks!
>>
>>70496477
R Plus Seven deserves it more :///
>>70496705
yeezus is good
>>
>>70497690
Nice, looking forward to seeing your review!

>>70497703
>yeezus is good
It's okay - we all make mistakes.
>>
PLEASE STOP HAVING OPINIONS
>>
>>70497743
>It's okay - we all make mistakes.
It's just too experimental for you. Stick to your Top 40, plen
>>
>>70497703
R Plus Seven sucks compared Replica
>>
What's some good music for when WWIII starts?
>>
>>70497896
>music
>>
>>70497908

As we are living in the end times, we might as well do something new and drastic, such as listening to music.
>>
>>70497923
>listening
>to music
you just don't get it, do ya son?
>>
>>70497774

Nah, it's really the fact that the experimental/industrial hip-hop schtick has been done better plenty of times. It's cool that Kanye goes into that territory but it doesn't work for me.

I'm not super into experimental hip-hop though, so you're right, I'm probably just a huge pleb
>>
>>70497964
I was joking, that was a bait attempt. I guess it didn't really work.
>>
>>70497986
it did work, he took it, innocent and civil boy that he is
>>
>>70497573
TF >>> HTLT > My Back > Nervous > Monomania > Starving > ToD > ToS
>>
>>70498009
he took the bait but he didn't get as mad as I thought he would
>>
>>70497703
'Haha'
>>
File: oof.jpg (59KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
oof.jpg
59KB, 612x612px
>>70497986
>>70498009
I go for bait way more often than I care to admit lmao
>>
>>70497703
no but its good compared to mbdtf
>>
>>70496477
>mbdtf
>73rd

Holy shit, that's a jump. It is well deserved. The textbook definition of a modern classic in music.

Also time to pop some champagne for Twin Fantasy.

>>70497703
>>70497779
R Plus Seven > Replica
>>
File: Nat Drone.png (1MB, 3175x1835px) Image search: [Google]
Nat Drone.png
1MB, 3175x1835px
The Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Inner Mounting Flame
>Jazz Fusion, Jazz-Rock

I dug this one way more than I was expecting. Fusion isn’t typically my thing and I'm not super into prog rock but this is just well done. It's filled with weird electric tones, from the guitar to organ/piano and even a violin. Kind of got a Bitches Brew thing going on and that's most certainly McLaughlin’s influence. It's definitely a weird mix of styles too. They go on these huge wandering prog passages, mellow out on more ballady cuts and even get close to a traditional eastern folk sound.

The drumming on the proggier tracks is really what kept me going. Man, Cobham rips it up on here. He flies through these fiery, intense passages so well. It has a heavy hitting rock sound but you can tell he's used to working with jazz musicians too. The rest of the musicians are pretty great too though.

All in all, a great listen.

4/5
>>
Backlog Chart 7.png
3MB, 2296x2413px
Horrified - In the Garden of the Unearthly Delights (1993)
>melodic death metal, death doom metal

Shockingly pretty damn good. Nice blend of melodeath with scuzzy doom metal, and the little folk/dungeon synth passages are nice additions. Cheesy sometimes, and lo-fi to a fault, but good nonetheless.

Colosseum - Valentyne Suite (1969)
>progressive rock

The opener fucking rips, but nothing else reaches that level of quality. The 17-minute suite that closes out the album has some good attempts, but it's often lost in it's own tendency to meander and focus more on technicality than good songwriting. The three songs in the middle are totally forgettable, but the bookends are interesting enough to make this worthwhile.

2.5-
>>
>>70498760
cobham is fucking phenomenal. you should check out spectrum, his first solo album.
>>
>>70498760
ayahuasca hype
oblivians hype
>>
>>70499207
I heard it way back when and dug it, but I'll have to revisit it soon!
>>
>>70498521
'no'
>>
>>70499308
Definitely pumped for both of those

>>70494301
This really does take a long time, fuck me
>>
>>70499181
that Taku Unami is amazing
however i see no Shouso Strip
Sad!
>>
File: Cherry Peel.png (1MB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Cherry Peel.png
1MB, 1000x1000px
This is just such a nice album
>>
File: 32noiseandsuch.jpg (337KB, 1266x748px) Image search: [Google]
32noiseandsuch.jpg
337KB, 1266x748px
endo good, lots of neat effects, cool L/R channel fuckery

grim also good, spooky and jammin but not as good as endo

>>70488060
>I highly recommend both and if you want to start somewhere with The Necks, I'd recommend Hanging Gardens.
sounds cool thanks pal
>>
>>70501051
if you liked Ornette check out Out to Lunch i guess
>>
>>70500786
I'll get to it soon don't worry

>>70501051
seconding >>70501086
>>
>>70499877
Yeaahh. The worst part is, that I had already filled it up once before but I had to redo it because I lost the original. I also did it in fucking GIMP which is the shittiest piece of garbage on the planet.
>>
>>70497329
Yep! Glad that I can say that. And thanks. There's definitely some rough patches but I think it should be worth it. My hopes is to find one 8/10 at minimum that I never would've heard had it not been for this listen through at minimum. No luck with that yet.
>>
also theme for gasoline weirdo is a 10
>>
>>70501404
> I also did it in fucking GIMP which is the shittiest piece of garbage on the planet.

That's exactly why it's taking me so long lmao
>>
>>70501827
I ought to check this guy out, is gasoline weirdo the best place to start?
>>
>>70501827
:O

guess I have to check this out
I'll share my thoughts
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkpMMY6HhjE
>>
>>70501903
honestly, I'd recommend starting at Boys of the Feather because both that and Gasoline Weirdo are so short, and it'll introduce you to the aesthetic, so Gasoline Weirdo is just that much better
>>70501923
gave it an 8 a week or so ago, it's finally creeped up to 10, it's just kind of weirdly profound, hard to explain, probably cringeworthy to talk about like that
>>
>>70501865
It's terrible right? Whoever designed that software should be shot.

I learned how to use photoshop in a trade school for four years and I still can't get simple shit done in GIMP, when I'm certified in PS.
>>
>>70501992
do you know where I can download this obscure shit?
>>
>>70502010
Oh good god, it's so shitty. I'm only using it because I didn't want to pay for PS right now lol. PS is so much easier, even if it takes some time to get used to
>>
>>70501404
>2017
>not using inkscape

>>70501827
hell yeah
>>
>>70502048
it's on soulseek my dude
>>
Why is this entire thread full of namefags and tripfags?
>>
>>70502394
I've always used rutracker so excuse my retardation. I'm on soulseek and found the stuff. How the hell do I download it
>>
>>70502420
never mind ignore this
>>
>>70502435
Too late, I've seen it all
>>
File: 1466918133447.gif (2MB, 450x248px) Image search: [Google]
1466918133447.gif
2MB, 450x248px
>>70502449
just fuck my shit up
>>
>>70502413
because everyone here is an attention-craving whore
>>
Listening to Boys of the Feather right now, can't really say I'm a fan so far.
>>
>>70502370
Never heard of it before. It's a bit late now, but I'll look into it for the future.

>>70502277
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I used to own photoshop's entire creative suite but the laptop I had it on shit the bed. Can't get it back as of now, gonna see if using the old hard drive externally it works. Probably won't though.
>>
>>70501404
>>70501865
>>70502370
I just use mspaint. It has just enough features to effectively put numbers on top of pictures of albums.
>>
Listening to Beck - Sea Change now.

>>70502828
For the album covers I wanted there to be an outline behind the numbers so it's visible.
>>
>>70501992
I loved the first track on Theme for Gasoline Weirdo, but I wasn't much of a fan of the second one.
>>
File: mucorechartprogress.jpg (3MB, 1781x4325px) Image search: [Google]
mucorechartprogress.jpg
3MB, 1781x4325px
Beck - Sea Change

Overall, it was good. The use of underlying ambience on a lot of songs was interesting and probably my favorite aspect. The building progression of Sunday Sun and the relaxed and blissful sound of The Golden Age made them my favorite tracks. There were some average tracks and some good songs, but the album as a whole has only a few songs that really stick out from the rest, while the others just kind of blend together providing very few memorable moments or aspects. Nothing offensive here, it just didn't wow me enough to deserve more than a "good" rating from me.

Track ratings: https://rateyourmusic.com/collection/CtrlMaster/rating84256720
Overall rating: 6/10
>>
File: dfw2.jpg (167KB, 529x705px) Image search: [Google]
dfw2.jpg
167KB, 529x705px
>>70481966
Just go with Infinite Jest, it'll take you ages to finish but it's an astounding achievement in literature.

also check out the "This is Water" speech if you haven't already
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI
https://web.ics.purdue.edu/~drkelly/DFWKenyonAddress2005.pdf
^transcription
>>
File: Mr Wallace.jpg (97KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
Mr Wallace.jpg
97KB, 1000x750px
>>70481966
alternatively Broom of the System is quite entertaining to read, probably a good primer for IJ
>>
File: rip.jpg (45KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
rip.jpg
45KB, 480x360px
music for this feel?
>>
File: drudkh.jpg (312KB, 1200x1091px) Image search: [Google]
drudkh.jpg
312KB, 1200x1091px
Rec me something like this? I love the minimal, atmospheric, repetitive sound.
>>
File: tournament 5.jpg (3MB, 3136x1996px) Image search: [Google]
tournament 5.jpg
3MB, 3136x1996px
no i didnt die for 100th time
its tourney

Permutation was basically just good Nu Jazz & IDM and elseq 1 reminded me of why i hated most autechre

7-

caviarrr proceeds
>>
whaddup boys
>>
File: suzie.jpg (366KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
suzie.jpg
366KB, 1600x1067px
suzanne cianni is my new waifu ^__^
https://youtu.be/73hRNJ0YkiM
>>
>>70505924
hello, tom
>>
Any of you nerds have Letterboxd?
http://letterboxd.com/benji29/

Also making a new chart, which is being a bit nostalgic.
>>
>>70506107
>which is being
what
the chart is being nostalgic?
dang
>>
>>70506361
making the chart.
haven't done them regularly for more than a year and a half. it's a weird thing to be nostalgic about.
>>
>>70506428
i understood, was just laffin @ your weird syntax m8
>>
File: neu chart.png (2MB, 1388x1017px) Image search: [Google]
neu chart.png
2MB, 1388x1017px
Neu! chart of random stuff I feel like listening to.

>>70505962
although some of this is a bit "raw", I enjoyed that very much. Thanks!

>>70506597
I am pretty shit at English.
>>
File: wrrrah.jpg (36KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
wrrrah.jpg
36KB, 640x360px
>>70506865
whats the globe thing
>>
>>70507206
the newest Laurent Garnier album. I've already heard some tracks from there I liked. Nice car
>>
>>70506865
I really have to listen to that stereolab / nww collab
>>
>>70484556
>>70503914
>>70504046
thanks guys, I'll give those a look. Only just started reading regularly again so I'm reading shorter books atm but I'll get round to Infinite Jest eventually.

>>70506865
dunno about the rest but Simple Headphone Mind is good
>>
File: dfw3.jpg (4KB, 264x191px) Image search: [Google]
dfw3.jpg
4KB, 264x191px
>>70507625
>I'll get round to Infinite Jest eventually.
don't we all
don't we all
>>
>>70507717
going to read it all right now just to spite you
>>
>>70507235
>Laurent Garnier
this guy is still releasing stuff?! is he really good? he was kinda huge in the 90's in France
>>
>>70507841
I liked the new tracks I heard from his latest album. I like his shit a lot, but mostly know his early works. He did a great set just a week ago near my city, he's still got it.
>>
>>70488641
>I wasn't huge on the single, but looking forward to the album regardless
It's the steel drum, right? It's a weird choice. The song is growing on me though.

>>70506865
Benji is back! Hi banjo.
That Jenny hval record isn't very good. Shpongle is pretty interesting though, I definitely see why drug users love it.
>>
>>70507792
that's m' boy
>>
>>70507957
I think I will actually, was thinking about reading the shitty Don Quixote translation I had anyway so may as well.
>>
>>70507952
hey!
I wanna try Hval cause people here said she was good and she's doing a show in my town this year. I'm more apprehensive towards Shpongle, but let's see how I like that one.
>>
>>70508570
have you heard the 2016 one? it's better than this one and she's more likely to play stuff from the most recent release
>>
>>70503914
This is Water may be a meme, but when you get to that last sentence it really hits you

Just bought Infinite Jest tho, should get around to reading it soon

>>70505222
did u die

>>70505962
this sounds dope
>>
>>70508593
nah, I picked her most popular one. But I'll change it then.
>>
dragonforce is the cringiest band on earth
>>
>>70508656
ur the cringiest trip in thread
>>
File: 1483898920309.png (24KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
1483898920309.png
24KB, 128x128px
>>70508667
no you
>>
get a move on

>>70508713
>>70508713
>>70508713
>>
File: 1471716581431.png (270KB, 652x720px) Image search: [Google]
1471716581431.png
270KB, 652x720px
>>70508704
>sonic the hedgehog
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 72

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.