[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is he right about The Beatles?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

File: THE-FACT.jpg (19KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
THE-FACT.jpg
19KB, 500x500px
Is he right about The Beatles?
>>
>>70464582
Yes
>>
>>70464582
No
>>
>>70464582
Maybe
>>
>>70464582
yes
garbage band
beach boys >
>>
>>70464582
No
>>
>>70464703
This. Heros and villains is unironically better than everything the Beatles have ever done
>>
>>70464745
Lol, no. Even Wings had better songs.
>>
>>70464745
not to mention beatles are pussies and played for like 1 fucking year
& beach boys still play to this day, played a few years ago at red rocks amphitheater
>>
File: IMG_0530.jpg (23KB, 630x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0530.jpg
23KB, 630x400px
>>70464759
Kys
>>
Do they suck? No.
Are they over hyped by people who didn't grow up with them and see how they changed music.
Yes.
Some people think they are the best thing that's ever happened to music and it's irritating.
>>
Its difficult to judge their stuff on pure merit because of the legacy, but if you deny its quality you must be a real fuckin memelord.
>>
>>70464828
>I've never listened to Wings
>muh Brian Wilson
>>
>>70464786
If you count the pre-Beatles configurations of the band then they actually played live for around 9 years.
>>
>>70464859
>Some people think they are the best thing that's ever happened to music and it's irritating.
Some people (i.e. Scaruffi) also think they're the worst thing that's ever happened to music

It's a stupid fucking dichotomy.

When it comes to the Beatles, it seems like everyone's gotta be hyperbolic
>>
>>70464980
ah I'm a music noob just bored /g/entleman. We were discussing how edgy /mu/ is so I came to check it out... and there's already another angry beatles thread up so I am done and checking out.
>>
if you could type his name in the OP so i don't have to see this autist in my catalog id apprciate it thx
>>
File: 1483227247284.jpg (651KB, 1988x1988px) Image search: [Google]
1483227247284.jpg
651KB, 1988x1988px
>>70464582
>>
>>70465070
this is actually incredible photoshop work
>>
>>70465070
this is all i ever needed. im never coming back to /mu/ again
>>
File: Lemmy-009.jpg (23KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
Lemmy-009.jpg
23KB, 460x276px
>>70464582
Oi mate, let me have -- ah never mind, I'm dead.
>>
>>70464599
>>70464644
>>70464655
I DONT KNOW
>>
The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.
In a sense, the Beatles are emblematic of the status of rock criticism as a whole: too much attention paid to commercial phenomena (be it grunge or U2) and too little to the merits of real musicians. If somebody composes the most divine music but no major label picks him up and sells him around the world, a lot of rock critics will ignore him. If a major label picks up a musician who is as stereotyped as can be but launches her or him worldwide, your average critic will waste rivers of ink on her or him. This is the sad status of rock criticism: rock critics are basically publicists working for major labels, distributors and record stores. They simply highlight what product the music business wants to make money from.
>>
>>70465297
literally /mu/'s very own 'gorilla warfare'
>>
>>70465332
>gorilla
>>
>>70465297
Rock is and has always been just pop music with loud guitars. there's a reason why in record stores, rock and pop records are sold together in the same section and other genres like jazz, metal, hip-hop, country, etc. each have their own sections.
>>
File: certificates-of-authenticity5.png (59KB, 370x168px) Image search: [Google]
certificates-of-authenticity5.png
59KB, 370x168px
>>70465070
>>
Right about the Beatles, wrong about Bowie.
Also, looks like I found something I wasn't supposed to find on the website...
http://www.scaruffi.com/facebooklike
>>
>>70464582
no
I wrote an article about why I disagree with nearly everything he said. I recommend you check it out .
https://factorysunburst.wordpress.com/2014/08/31/piero-scaruffi-and-truth/
>>
>>70464582
no
>>
>>70467689
dumb blogposter
>>
>>70465732

what the fuck
>>
>>70464859
>Some people think they are the best thing that's ever happened to music and it's irritating.

This. Scaruffi has a point when he complains that people think a Beatles song is mindblowing when it has a trumpet solo, but no one cares about the crazy shit Pink Floyd or Frank Zappa were doing at the same time.
>>
>>70467689
wtf I hate Scaruffi now
>>
>>70464859
They objectively are the best thing that ever happened to pop music though. I'm not trying to irritate you or anything, you probably just don't know a lot about recording processes and rock music
>>
>>70468459

normies love Pink Floyd

Scaruffi's point is that The Beatles's songs and rock music as a whole pale in comparison to classical and jazz.
>>
>>70468545
Interestingly, Scaruffi knows very little about classical and jazz and usually sticks to rock music
>>
>>70468204
oh hey esfores
>>
>>70468545
>normies love Pink Floyd

They love the boring space-rock era of Pink Floyd, but for some reason they ignore based Syd era Floyd.
>>
"The Beatles are just okay" is an even more annoying opinion than "The Beatles suck" or "The Beatles are God's gift to music"
>>
>>70465070
What in the fuck this is glorious and I'll never be able to thank the person who made it
>>
>>70465171
this made me laugh
>>
>>70465028
>Some people (i.e. Scaruffi) also think they're the worst thing that's ever happened to music
not true, he specified that he doesn't hate them but just wanted to calm the hype
>>
>>70464582
he gave a 7/10 to some of their albums and that's a lot in his book
>>
the real question is what he bases on to give such a low range of ratings, I mean he is a music expert, he now what he's fucking doing
is he the proof that /mu/ is just a bunch of ples?
>>
>>70465028
>Using hyperbole while critiquing hyperbole

Wew!
>>
>>70465070
Nice one
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.